Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Work Visa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Work permit extension. Live-in caregivers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madeira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Work permit extension. Live-in caregivers
    Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 4:30pm
Hi everyone. First of all I would like to thank everyone who takes time to reply to post and help each other out.

I've filed my work permit extension with the same employer as a live-in caregiver (Vegreville received it November 12) and I was wondering if anyone has some recent experience. They say it will take around 75 days. Is anyone in similar situation? any news or updates? I'm just worried cause my current WP expires Dec 31 this year.

I've got to start getting ready to apply for PR in March 2010 but I'm a bit worried that I won't get my new WP in time. Does anyone know if their workload is affected by the Olympics at all?

Thanks for reading.

Merry Xmas and Happy NY to all!
job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Madeira Madeira wrote:

Hi everyone. First of all I would like to thank everyone who takes time to reply to post and help each other out.I've filed my work permit extension with the same employer as a live-in caregiver (Vegreville received it November 12) and I was wondering if anyone has some recent experience. They say it will take around 75 days. Is anyone in similar situation? any news or updates? I'm just worried cause my current WP expires Dec 31 this year. I've got to start getting ready to apply for PR in March 2010 but I'm a bit worried that I won't get my new WP in time. Does anyone know if their workload is affected by the Olympics at all?Thanks for reading.Merry Xmas and Happy NY to all!

You are on implied status until you hear from CPC-Vegreville. So you can continue working with your old employer under the conditions of your old work permit/contract. Did your employer apply for a new LMO?
Madeira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madeira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 6:17pm
Thanks job_seeker.

I was told by the agency that my employer didn't have to apply for new LMO cause my initial LMO is valid till Dec 21 2010 ( so it's like one more year). I couldn't get my WP till that date, when I entered Canada, as my passort wasn't valid long enough. I got a new passport and applied to extend my WP for 1 more year. I've attached the LMO copy with my application. Hope I did the right thing.

Edited by Madeira - 23 Dec 2009 at 6:18pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2010 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Madeira Madeira wrote:

Thanks job_seeker.I was told by the agency that my employer didn't have to apply for new LMO cause my initial LMO is valid till Dec 21 2010 ( so it's like one more year). I couldn't get my WP till that date, when I entered Canada, as my passort wasn't valid long enough. I got a new passport and applied to extend my WP for 1 more year. I've attached the LMO copy with my application. Hope I did the right thing.

Hi,

Was just wondering if you were able to get an extension for your work permit.
Madeira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madeira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2010 at 12:18am
Hi,
I haven't heard anything yet. I spoke to a call agent and I was told that I had to wait to hear from them. It takes around 79 days (according to CIC site, if received till october 12, 2009). Mine was received November 12th (according to Canada Post), so I figured I should hear from them some time in February, beginning of March, if I count business days.

Though it is confusing. In the guide section <What happens next> it says: "You will receive a letter regarding your case and you will be informed if you need to take any further action. ...If your application for a work permit has been approved, an immigration document will be sent to you." I thought I would receive some kind of confirmation letter, that my application is received and they are considering it.

Anyway... just have to wait and see. I'm a bit worried though.

Thanks job_seeker.

Wish me luck!
Carmenuta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmenuta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 5:44pm
Madeira, howcome you applied for a new work permit with the same employer? How long did you have the previous work permit for?

I don't think you have anything to worry about. If you're under the live-in-caregiver program, and you followed the rules properly, all should be a matter of time, and stamps.

Also, when you applied for a new work permit, did you do it three months (or so) before your current one expired?
Application sent: September 17th, 2009
Application received: September 18th, 2009
Started processing application: October 26th, 2009
Decision made: March 17th, 2010

Carmenuta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmenuta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 5:47pm
Oh, Madeira, if you're interested, please come join our thread in the Sponsorship section, where Deewai and myself are sharing our experiences while we're waiting for permanent residence. I think it would be good for you for future reference as well. You'll find us under the "WAITING FOR OWP AND PERMANENT RESIDENCE FOR SINGLE LIVE-IN-CAREGIVERS" -- (SPONSORSHIP THREAD).

Carmenuta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carmenuta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 5:48pm
Here is the link in case you can't find us.

http://www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45&title=waiting-for-pr-and-owp-single-caregivers

Madeira View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madeira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 6:26pm
Hi Carmenuta,
thanks for your post. I do read your thread on OWP and PR and was going to join when it's time for me to apply.

I had my LMO till Dec 31 2010 but my passport was valid till Dec 31 2009, so I got my WP till Dec 31 2009. I arrived March 2008. So this March will be 2 years and I can apply for PR. My employer still needs me so I've applied for extention with the same employer, I've applied for one more year. This way I'll be at least covered while I'm wating for OWP.

I couldn't apply for my new WP 3 months in advance cause I only got my new passport in the beginning of November and I applied right away.

So, I hope as you've said it's just a matter of time and stamps. It's been over 2 months since they received my application (according to Canada Post)

I will post any updates.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 10:30pm
Hi madeira,

you do not need a new LMO if you are applying WP for the same employer. WP processing for same employer is 76 days and they are processing those received as of Oct 30, 2009.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic