Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Voluntary Relinquishing of PR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Voluntary Relinquishing of PR
    Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 2:28pm
I took PR of Canada in 2007 with my family and failed to comply the residency obligations and could accumulate 250 days out of 730 days in 5 years.My family became Canadian citizen and they are living in Canada.I am in Oman and now my PR card has expired and wish to visit my family and in this regard like to voluntarily relinquish my PR status so that I can apply for visitor visa. Can anybody please guide how to  do that. I have already written an email inquiry to Embassy of Canada in Abudhabi,UAE, 03 weeks back but no reply Thanks
computergeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 10:06pm
There is a form that you must complete: IMM 5538B.  I have not been able to find it anywhere online.  There is a similar form (IMM 5539B) that I have been able to find online, but it does not apply in your situation.

IMM 5538B - Relinquishment of Permanent Resident Status/Residency Obligation Not Met
IMM 5539B - Relinquishment of Permanent Resident Status/Residency Obligation Met

So I think you want IMM 5538B, but it appears you can only obtain it from CIC directly.

I suppose you can always force the issue by applying for a PRTD (which would be denied), but that shouldn't be necessary.  Once you are a foreign national again, you can apply for a TRV.

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
dmj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 3:22pm
Thanks a lot computergeek! I am still waiting for any reply but I am seriously thinking to go personally to Embassy of Canada in Abudhabi and ask for this form IMM 5538B. Any suggestions please...

Edited by dmj - 09 Nov 2012 at 3:34pm
Gravity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gravity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 8:01am
Though i m new at this topic - But have similar problem. after research someone told me that these forms Obselete  now (though not sure). now u have to read "op10-eng " laws for immigrants especially pg 34 appendix C. But  "  DO "  consult others.
dmj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 6:15am
In response to my enquiry after 5 weeks UAE embassy responded and send me forms for voluntary relenquishing PR status which also included form for waiving the right of appeal.They advised to send the expired PR card and Health card as well and then I can apply for visit visa (TRV) as a foreigner but this doesn't guarantee that visa would be issued .I need to satisfy the VO about my return back. Now its almost 2 months after sending all those and I am still waiting for the decission so after that I can apply for visit visa.Anybody can tell how long it takes for their intimation after surrender.Thanks !
dmj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 3:08pm
Dear friends
Its almost 4 months of waiting for any response from UAE embassy after I sent my voluntary relinquishing of PR status forms  along with waiver of appeal and entry/exit form with my PR card/health card/landing document.I wish to apply for visit visa as soon as I receive their decision.Can anybody please advise in this situation.Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic