Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Moving to Canada Permanently but not meeting RO
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving to Canada Permanently but not meeting RO

 Post Reply Post Reply
neelcs View Drop Down
New Member
New Member

Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Status: Offline
Points: 2
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neelcs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving to Canada Permanently but not meeting RO
    Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:05pm
I am looking for suggestions. 

 Here is my case details.
came to USA on student visa in 2007. 
Started working on H1b from 2012.
I and My wife Got Canada PR in 2014 and landed in Canada in Jan 2014.
Stayed 3 months and came to USA in March 2014 after getting PR Card.
PR card validity is March 2019.
Since then, we have not entered to Canada.

Now, i am planning to move Canada Permanently in this month with my wife (Canada PR) and 2 years old son (US Citizen). 

Questions :
1. what are the options we have ?
2. what are the chances of being reported ? what kind of supporting documents should i carry ? I do not have any solid reason for being outside of Canada but i have my family (2 sisters family - Canada Citizen and 2 nephew - PR in process and One on student visa ) living in Canada. Eventually, whole family of my 2 nephews will move to Canada once they get PR. So i have very good family ties in Canada. 
3.which route i should take - by car or by air ? Which land border/airport i should fly to ?
4. Do i need to hire lawyer to prepare supporting documents ?
5.Has anybody had same kind of situation and was able to enter Canada successfully ? Please share your experience which can help me. 

Thank you in advance. 

Edited by neelcs - 05 Mar 2018 at 1:00pm
Back to Top
colin View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Immigration Attorney

Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 133
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:46pm
As a permanent resident, you must reside in Canada for at least 2 years in a 5-year period. Since you did not comply with this obligation, you have lost your permanent resident status. Therefore, if you decide to land in Canada, the border agent will most probably not let you in the country as you did not meet your PR obligations.

Note that if you wish to visit Canada or apply for permanent residency again, you and your family will need to voluntarily renounce your previous permanent residency.

If you wish to become a permanent resident again, you will need to apply through one of the existing programs (

You can complete a free assessment on our website in order to have your options:
Colin Singer, Canada Immigration Lawyer & Managing Partner,
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down