Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Canadian Citizenship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does anyone know what triggers after test RQ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrydream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anyone know what triggers after test RQ?
    Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 8:38pm
Hi everyone,
I recently got scheduled for the test and fortunately I did not receive pre-test RQ.

At this point, I am hoping I wouldn't get after test RQ since it would cause a lot of problems for me.

I understand that no one knows exactly what causes RQ,
but I want to know couple of obvious tips on how to avoid RQ after test.

Also, how likely is it to get RQ after the test?
I remember reading a post saying if you managed to avoid pre-test RQ,
you are not very likely to get RQ after the test.

Thanks!

Vancan2012 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vancan2012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by wrydream wrydream wrote:

Hi everyone,
I recently got scheduled for the test and fortunately I did not receive pre-test RQ.

At this point, I am hoping I wouldn't get after test RQ since it would cause a lot of problems for me.

I remember reading a post saying if you managed to avoid pre-test RQ,
you are not very likely to get RQ after the test.

Thanks!

It will be hard to type the whole list, but some no brainers are the following:
  • Forgetting or not having all passports spanning the 4 years in question, and time since app was submitted
  • Not bringing all the documents stated in the letter (if any)
  • Not being able to justify something that looks fishy to the officer (which means you should have as much proof as possible with you and offer evidence if something appears of concern)
I am sure there are much more things to keep in mind, but the bottom line is act as if you will get RQ and have as many supporting documents as possible, just in case... Good luck

Edited by Vancan2012 - 08 Jun 2013 at 10:20pm
Vancouver S03/12 L03/12 IP11/12 RQ 03/13 XFER 03/13 Currently In Process
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2013 at 10:14pm

I remember reading a post saying if you managed to avoid pre-test RQ, you are not very likely to get RQ after the test.

Congratulations on being scheduled for the test. Good luck.

The odds of getting RQ at the test or following the test are low.

Best we can discern from known data, less than one in four applicants get RQ overall, and the trend appears to be headed toward less than one in eight. (This may not be fully representative of all who are affected, because if either partner is given RQ in a family application, the whole group is held up. So, it would count as one RQ though two or more are mired in the RQ process.)

And as you have observed, most of those are pre-test RQ.

So, just in terms of numbers, the number of applicants who get RQ at or following the test is quite low.

But, the reality is that the numbers do not matter. What makes a difference are the facts, the particulars of the individual's case, application information, history, and CIC records. Getting RQ at or following the test is not a matter of chance, not a matter of odds or probabilities, but a matter of whether there is something which cause CIC to issue RQ . . . something that "triggers" RQ.

I understand that no one knows exactly what causes RQ . . .

This is not quite true. We know much, probably most of what will cause RQ. What is not known, in many cases, is what did cause RQ for this or that particular person.

We know the risk indicators considered in CIC's decision to issue pre-test RQ. Many of those risk indicators are considered again by the local office. Any of these indicators can cause RQ at any time, but they are screened in Sydney, and to some extent again in the initial pre-interview check in the local office, so anyone with any of these risk indicators which will cause RQ is most likely to have already been given RQ pre-test.

The triage criteria, or risk-indicators, include the following:
Quote TRIAGE CRITERIA / RISK INDICATORS

- Applicant Characteristics:
A1 - Use of a suspect residential address.
A2 - NCB in FOSS, Warning or Note(s) in GCMS indicating a concern.
A3 - Previous citizenship applications which were not approved, withdrawn, abandoned, renounced or revoked.
A4 - Discrepancy in absences between citizenship application and CIC information during the relevant 4 years period.
A5 - Self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed, with any travel during the relevant 4 year period.
A6 - Absences to home country to sell land/property or to take care of ill family member during the relevant 4 year period.
A7 - Applicant has self declared having less than 1095 days of physical presence.

- Family Characteristics:
B1 - Child born outside Canada during the relevant 4 year period.
B2 - A child has made a non-concurrent minor application.

- Documents
C1 - ID (provided in support of application) has been issued within 3 months of date of application.
C2 - Inconsistency between address on ID and address on application form.
C3 - Photograph and/or signature on the application do not resemble photograph and/or signature on identity document.
C4 - NPR time (non permanent resident time) has been used in the calculation of basic residence and the original entry data used does not appear on the IMM 1000, the Confirmation of Permanent Residence or in CIC records.

A follow-up screening of these is part of the pre-interview check, which also includes the following to be considered in particular:
- All follow-ups completed on applicable CPC Sydney triage criteria
- Checked GCM/FOSS before interview
- Applicant is prohibited
- Residence questionnaire on file
- Applicant has used a suspect residential address after application submission
- Discrepancy in absences between citizenship application and responses to questions on the RQ and/or CIC records
- Discrepancy in addresses listed on citizenship application and those on the RQ and/or CIC records
- Self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed with any travel during the relevant 4 year period

Then there are the formal considerations attendant the interview:
- Identification: Original of 2 IDs submitted with application have been verified (including 1 photo ID)
- Immigration documents originals verified (IMM 1000/5292/5509/5686 and PR Card)
- Signature verified
- Biopage/Renewal page of passport/Travel document provided
- Passports/Travel documents relevant to entire 4 year period
- Passport/Travel documents verified against absences declared on application or RQ (if applicable)
- Work/Education discussed
- Prohibitions declared at interview
- Residence Questionnaire given at interview with CIC official
- Language (choose one): Satisfactory, Waived, Hearing
- Special Remarks/Explanations/Concerns/or Follow-ups to items from Part A

While the particular relationship between any one of these specific items and the issuance of RQ is not certain, for most of these items it is fairly apparent and for some items CIC internal communications have illuminated at least how CIC was approaching it during the summer of 2012, which is likely the same or nearly so now.

For example: applicants who self-identified as a consultant, self-employed or unemployed with any travel during the relevant 4 year period, were automatically issued RQ at least as of through last summer, and are probably still at least at high risk for RQ. This is something identified for issuing pre-test RQ.

For example: if there is a discrepancy in addresses listed on citizenship application and those in CIC records, or a discrepancy between the address listed on the citizenship application and the address listed on the identification presented by the applicant: high risk of RQ, if not for-certain RQ. This is something which may be spotted during the level one screening, or it may arise at the interview (during the documents check examination of identification being presented). If spotted during level one screening, that would be a cause for pre-test RQ. If spotted at the interview, that could be a cause for RQ to be issued at or after the test.

For another example of what may cause RQ after the test: if the applicant's responses to questions about work raise some concern, some reason for the CIC interviewer to question whether or not the applicant's responses add up, or something appearing to be inconsistent with what was indicated in the application about work history, that is something which could cause RQ to be issued after the test.

Most likely causes for RQ after test:

-- discrepancies spotted in the examination of Passport/Travel documents, when being verified against absences declared on the application

-- failure to present all Passport/Travel documents

-- failure to present proper translation for Passport/Travel documents with entries not in English or French

There are other potential causes for RQ after the test. We have seen cases where applicants were subject to RQ when they seemed, during the interview, to be unfamiliar with the neighbourhood in which they report to having been living for years, for example.

Among other triggers for RQ after the test, if upon scheduling the applicant for the oath, during the GCMS check it is noted that there was a POE NCB regarding potential residency issue (we have seen cases where applicants living abroad were tagged upon arrival at the POE during their return to Canada in order to attend the oath ceremony; instead of taking the oath, they got investigated, including RQ).

All that said, if no pre-test RQ, then indeed, post-test RQ is unlikely

Well, that is, for the applicant who did not get pre-test RQ, that applicant has been cleared relative to most of the RQ risk indicators, the "triggers" we often say, and the applicant is not likely to get RQ after the test unless there is a very obvious reason, as discussed above, but mostly: failure to present passport; discrepancy between passport stamps and declared travel; other blatant discrepancy, like presenting a drivers license which shows the applicant's address to be somewhere other than what the applicant has given CIC as his or her address; and so on.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
bennyboy2013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bennyboy2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 5:04am
Could you share your timeline and Local office, please and thank you!

Good luck on your exam!

Edited by bennyboy2013 - 09 Jun 2013 at 12:41pm
Benny Boo
#I am so looking forward to having my Canadian Passport!#
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic