Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Questions about open work permit
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions about open work permit

 Post Reply Post Reply
83826 View Drop Down
New Member
New Member

Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 1
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83826 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions about open work permit
    Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 1:33pm
Hi everyone, i have a few questions about the letter my wife just received.
I applied for spouse sponsorship inland and received the application by cic on April 3rd, 2012.
on Oct 10th,2012  my wife received a letter from Citizenship and immigration Canada.
It stated that she can now apply for an open work permit, which allow her to work in the occupation and location of your choice.
Her status expired on May 16th 2012, i've been told by the lawyer that my wife doesn't have to extend her status as long as we apply the appication before the expire day.
Does my wife needs to apply the extend status in order to get a open work permit?
Or she only needs to apply the open work permit?
Her permanent resident application status is in progress.
We were trying to apply the work permit through the CIC website, but at the end of the page after we had filled in all the information. It says her status has expired and she needs to apply a temporary resident permit and work permit by paper.

Anyone can kindly give me some advise?
Thank you
Back to Top
RobsLuv View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 04 Dec 2009
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 745
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 6:44pm
Typically an inland applicant is protected under "implied status" when they submit an application to extend/change conditions (to an Open Work Permit) WITH the inland PR ap . . . as long as the inland PR ap and the extension application are received before the original temporary status expires.  In that instance, once first stage approval is granted, an OWP is automatically issued.  I'm not clear about whether or not this is what you did.  I would think that, if your wife had valid temporary status at the time that you applied for her PR, your lawyer would have also included the OWP application with the inland PR ap to be sure her status was protected.  So I'm not sure why now you are getting a message that her status has expired. 

I think you should contact the lawyer that prepared the permanent residence ap for you and ask him what s/he did - and how to move forward from this point.  It seems to me that CIC would not be saying that she is eligible to apply for an OWP if the application had already been submitted with the inland ap, but I also don't understand why they're saying she's eligible to apply - yet, when she does try online, you're running into a road block.  Maybe someone else will have more info, but my suggestion would be to contact the lawyer.
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
Back to Top
computergeek View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 07 Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver BC
Status: Offline
Points: 573
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote computergeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2012 at 12:24pm
This might be a limitation of the online process.  But I have to agree with RobsLuv - you've paid an attorney to handle this matter, you should ask him/her to do so.

FSW applied 6/09, denied (med inadmissible) 12/11. JR leave granted 7/12, discontinued 9/12. Spousal app PPR 9/12. Landed 13 October 2012
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down