Print Page | Close Window

If THe sponsor losses his job?

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Family Class Sponsorship
Forum Description: A review of current sponsorship programs (permanent residence) promoting the reunion in Canada of close relatives from abroad.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 4:06pm

Topic: If THe sponsor losses his job?
Posted By: idriss
Subject: If THe sponsor losses his job?
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 12:06am
I'm sponsoring my husband if I lose my job, because My job contract is over, we sent the application in august, but we haven't received any letter yet. I don't know if My employer will extend the contract or not, but what happens in case I get laid off tnx alot

Replies:
Posted By: tgchi13
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 12:22am
You're okay so long as you don't go on public assistance. You can go on unemployment if that applies, but not welfare.

Good luck!

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 12:23am
And - et them know of the change as soon as it takes effect or as soon as you can!

Posted By: Mrs.Sam
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 1:57am
Your income or lack there of it is not applicable when sponsoring your spouse. You don't even need to provide an Option C printout (which I did anyway), they don't even look at your income!!! 

I just found that out today after reading it on here, and then confirmed it with the CIC Call Center... just TODAY! Embarrassed

Of course you still have to meet the other qualifications, but if you lose your job  or made $1 in the last 12 months... it does not matter!

Refer to Page 9 of the Sponsor's Guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3900E.pdf - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3900E.pdf  

You will have to provide us with documents that show your financial resources for the past
12 months and prove you are financially able to sponsor members of the family class. You
may solicit the help of a co-signer (must be your spouse or common-law partner). If you
reside in Quebec, see also Sponsors living in Quebec.

This condition does not apply if you are sponsoring only
· your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has no dependent children, or
· your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner whose dependent children have no
children of their own, or
· your dependent child who has no children of his or her own.

Originally posted by idriss idriss wrote:

I'm sponsoring my husband if I lose my job, because My job contract is over, we sent the application in august, but we haven't received any letter yet. I don't know if My employer will extend the contract or not, but what happens in case I get laid off tnx alot

-------------
"Knowledge is Power" Sir Francis Bacon 1597

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:03am
Thanks Mrs Sam - I forgot that. Knowledge *is* power.

Good luck idriss - you shouldn't have an issue!

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:09am
LOL, I sure wish I would have known that... 11 months ago LOL. At this age I still learn something new every day!!! Big smile

Originally posted by tgchi13 tgchi13 wrote:

Thanks Mrs Sam - I forgot that. Knowledge *is* power.

Good luck idriss - you shouldn't have an issue!

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:31am
Originally posted by Mrs.Sam Mrs.Sam wrote:

LOL, I sure wish I would have known that... 11 months ago LOL. At this age I still learn something new every day!!! Big smile

Originally posted by tgchi13 tgchi13 wrote:

Thanks Mrs Sam - I forgot that. Knowledge *is* power. Good luck idriss - you shouldn't have an issue!

AGREED! At this age, I should know better. The forum helps remind me of the biggest lesson of all: We are not alone.

Posted By: mitamata
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:33am
Just to clarify... if you can get the Option C, then you should include it. They DO look at it

You can sponsor without having an income, but you still have to show them you're not bankrupt. If you are bankrupt, then you can't sponsor. Or if you're on social assistance.

Your income or lack there of it is not applicable when sponsoring your spouse. You don't even need to provide an Option C printout (which I did anyway), they don't even look at your income!!! 

-------------
Outland - spousal - Vienna - 2009
Feb 16th - app received at CPC-M
Mar 3rd - decision made at CPC-M
Mar 27th - received AOR
Apr 29th - PPR received via email
May 12th - Passport with visa received :)

Posted By: dpenabill
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:35am
Re the original question: ditto that you can indeed go on unemployment benefits without it affecting your eligibility to sponsor your partner; just not on what some would call "welfare." I do not believe that becoming unemployed is a change in circumstance that needs to be reported to CIC. I am pretty confident of this. Being temporarily unemployed does not affect your eligibility to sponsor so there is no reason you would need to keep CIC informed of this change in circumstances.

Re option C -- While there is no minimum income requirement for spousal sponsors, I believe the sponsor does have to provide an option C or at least an explanation as to why they cannot . . . so if an applicant can obtain an option C, they need to obtain it and to include it!

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration

Posted By: job_seeker
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:47am
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

Re the original question: ditto that you can indeed go on unemployment benefits without it affecting your eligibility to sponsor your partner; just not on what some would call "welfare." I do not believe that becoming unemployed is a change in circumstance that needs to be reported to CIC. I am pretty confident of this. Being temporarily unemployed does not affect your eligibility to sponsor so there is no reason you would need to keep CIC informed of this change in circumstances.

Re option C -- While there is no minimum income requirement for spousal sponsors, I believe the sponsor does have to provide an option C or at least an explanation as to why they cannot . . . so if an applicant can obtain an option C, they need to obtain it and to include it!

What is the difference between going on welfare and going on unemployment benefits? Sorry I have to ask, being new in an entirely different social system.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 2:50am
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

We needed a signed letter from my new employer when I changed jobs, That was prior to sponsor approval though. I don't know what would be the case had I received sponsor approval prior to changing employers.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 3:16am
I can explain Employment Insurance because I'm on Maternity Leave right now, but I have no idea about Welfare.

Employment Insurance (EI) is where Canadian workers pay premiums of 1.73% of insured earnings in return for benefits if they lose their jobs. Employers contribute 1.4 times the value of employee premiums.  EI also pays for maternity and parental leave, compassionate care leave, and illness coverage. The program also pays for retraining programs (EI Part II) through labour market agreements with the Canadian provinces.

The amount a person receives (from experience I can tell you in Alberta the maximum weekly income you can receive is $447/week before taxes regardless of how much you make over $48,048/yr) and how long they can stay on EI varies with their previous salary, how long they were working (you have to have a minimum amount of hours worked to qualify), and the unemployment rate in their area. The EI system is managed by Service Canada, a service delivery network reporting to the Minister of Human Resources and Social Development Canada.

A bit over half of EI benefits are paid in Ontario and the Western provinces but EI is especially important in the Atlantic provinces, which have higher rates of unemployment. Many Atlantic workers are also employed in seasonal work such as fishing, forestry or tourism and go on EI over the winter when there is no work. There are special rules for fishermen making it easier for them to collect EI.

Originally posted by job_seeker job_seeker wrote:

What is the difference between going on welfare and going on unemployment benefits? Sorry I have to ask, being new in an entirely different social system.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 3:36am
Thanks Mrs Sam. Now all I have to do is wait for is for somebody to explain "welfare" and how can one avail of it?

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 3:38am
Sure mitamata.... IF you include it they will look at it. Tongue lol

Today I was advised point blank.... YOU DO NOT NEED TO SUBMIT AN OPTION C if you are just sponsoring your spouse. I guess I should have got the CIC Call Center Agent's ID Number Wink lol.

I think applicants should submit as much supporting information as they can. Better too much, then too little. Thumbs Up After all who wants to be Declined? Cry

Originally posted by mitamata mitamata wrote:

Just to clarify... if you can get the Option C, then you should include it. They DO look at it

You can sponsor without having an income, but you still have to show them you're not bankrupt. If you are bankrupt, then you can't sponsor. Or if you're on social assistance.

-------------

Posted By: mitamata
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 4:27am
Unfortunately, CIC agents don't always give the most reliable information. I honestly can't say if this is the case here, I've not heard of anyone having issues for not submitting Option C, but better to be safe than sorry, right? :)

EI doesn't count as welfare because it's... well, it's insurance. You had to pay the insurance premium sort to speak (the employer deducts it from the paycheck), so you're entitled to it if you qualify.

I can't say about welfare (social assistance is a better term), I've only been in Canada for a few months, so don't know the details. I do know for example that student loans aren't it. You might be able to get more information here:
http://www.canadabenefits.gc.ca/[email protected]?lang=eng&geo=5

-------------
Outland - spousal - Vienna - 2009
Feb 16th - app received at CPC-M
Mar 3rd - decision made at CPC-M
Mar 27th - received AOR
Apr 29th - PPR received via email
May 12th - Passport with visa received :)

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 6:32am
It has been awhile, but I have indeed seen reports of people getting requests for the option C if they failed to include it.

The problem with CIC call centre responses is sometimes akin to the problem with polls -- how the question was asked, and how it was interpreted, can have a significant impact on the answer given.

In this instance: yes, indeed, it is absolutely true, an option C may not be necessary. A sponsor may be approved to sponsor a spouse even if they did not submit an option C.

BUT that does not mean an application to sponsor will be approved if the sponsor does not submit an option C and fails to give an adequate explanation for not submitting an option C.

But, again, in previous discussions in the previous rendition of this forum, there were reports of delays pending requests for the option C in the CPC-M phase. The information regarding employment is relevant for a spousal sponsorship in ways other than to prove income.

So, either submit the option C OR submit an explanation of why it CANNOT be included.

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:23am

Thanks Mrs Sam. Now all I have to do is wait for is for somebody to explain "welfare" and how can one avail of it?

One does not want to avail themselves to welfare/social assistance. It will disqualify the sponsor.

Posted By: idriss
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:29am
Thanks alot of the replies.
When I sent my application I sent them my T4 slip for the last year (2008). I made more than enough than they require, but if I get laid off. do I call them to let them know?, I can show them T4 of this year which we get in January. thanks alot

Posted By: hbwpg
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:29am
Thanks for the clarification! That is what I was sure of too, but was intending to ask and be on the safe side when I call them today.

And yes, to the poster who said knowledge is power, nary a truer word has been said.

Your income or lack there of it is not applicable when sponsoring your spouse. You don't even need to provide an Option C printout (which I did anyway), they don't even look at your income!!!

I just found that out today after reading it on here, and then confirmed it with the CIC Call Center... just TODAY! Embarrassed

Of course you still have to meet the other qualifications, but if you lose your job or made $1 in the last 12 months... it does not matter!

Refer to Page 9 of the Sponsor's Guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3900E.pdf - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3900E.pdf

You will have to provide us with documents that show your financial resources for the past12 months and prove you are financially able to sponsor members of the family class. Youmay solicit the help of a co-signer (must be your spouse or common-law partner). If youreside in Quebec, see also Sponsors living in Quebec.

This condition does not apply if you are sponsoring only· your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner who has no dependent children, or· your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner whose dependent children have nochildren of their own, or· your dependent child who has no children of his or her own.
<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px"></SPAN>

I'm sponsoring my husband if I lose my job, because My job contract is over, we sent the application in august, but we haven't received any letter yet. I don't know if My employer will extend the contract or not, but what happens in case I get laid off tnx alot

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:35am
This is an *excellent* summary of EI, Mrs.Sam. It can be confusing to people and you laid it out perfectly.

And indeed, those on the East Coast rely on EI for at least half of the year.

I went on EI after a death in the family so I could get back on my feet and received about 1300 a month. It wasn't stellar, but it certainly helped me when I needed it the most.

I can explain Employment Insurance because I'm on Maternity Leave right now, but I have no idea about Welfare.

Employment Insurance (EI) is where Canadian workers pay premiums of 1.73% of insured earnings in return for benefits if they lose their jobs. Employers contribute 1.4 times the value of employee premiums. EI also pays for maternity and parental leave, compassionate care leave, and illness coverage. The program also pays for retraining programs (EI Part II) through labour market agreements with the Canadian provinces.

The amount a person receives (from experience I can tell you in Alberta the maximum weekly income you can receive is $447/week before taxes regardless of how much you make over $48,048/yr) and how long they can stay on EI varies with their previous salary, how long they were working (you have to have a minimum amount of hours worked to qualify), and the unemployment rate in their area. The EI system is managed by Service Canada, a service delivery network reporting to the Minister of Human Resources and Social Development Canada.

A bit over half of EI benefits are paid in Ontario and the Western provinces but EI is especially important in the Atlantic provinces, which have higher rates of unemployment. Many Atlantic workers are also employed in seasonal work such as fishing, forestry or tourism and go on EI over the winter when there is no work. There are special rules for fishermen making it easier for them to collect EI.

Posted By: rbenoit
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:40am
Think of Employment Insurance like car insurance.
You pay the insurance premium to ensure that should just in case you have an accident or in this case lose your job you will receive compensention in the form of short term supplementary income.

Welfare on the other hand is a provincially controlled fund which is supposed to be used to give financial assistance to people in desperate/destitute situations.

Since EI is an insurance which the premium is paid for by the recipient it is not considered social assistance.
Welfare which is controlled by the province and the money comes from a certain percentage of all the taxpayers money is assitance by the general public.

by the way, although there is no minimum income requirement based on the Sponsors guide. The sponsor does still have to prove (s)he can support their spouse and their application can still be refused if the sponsor cannot prove (s)he can support their spouse. I cant remember exactly the section and paragraph but I think it is in the OP manual.
I do remember a couple in the forums maybe a year ago going through this problem. 

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:40am
Welfare is more of a social assistance than EI, which is a paid-into insurance that everyone is eligible for.

Welfare is not paid into, and you must be in dire need to qualify for it, or be a member of a disparaged group such as First Nations or disabled.

Rather than using the money you've paid into EI, it uses provincial funds to aid in daily living as well as assistance to find work (which EI also does).

The main difference is that EI is paid into with every paycheck while welfare is not.

Welfare is different from province to province, also, while EI is federal.

Anyway, you don't want to go on welfare

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:42am
Originally posted by rbenoit rbenoit wrote:

by the way, although there is no minimum income requirement based on the Sponsors guide. The sponsor does still have to prove (s)he can support their spouse and their application can still be refused if the sponsor cannot prove (s)he can support their spouse. I cant remember exactly the section and paragraph but I think it is in the OP manual.

I do remember a couple in the forums maybe a year ago going through this problem.

However it states in the guide that if you are sponsoring your spouse with no dependent children it does not apply.

Yet the wording is confusing, which makes clarification handy.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 9:05am
Just because it states there is no minimum income required does not mean you can be living in poverty. It just means you dont need to show income. you are still required to show you can support your spouse by other means.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 9:16am
OP 2 Manual
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

page 42/43

10.3. Sponsors who do not meet the income test
Visa offices may receive undertakings from sponsors who are required to meet the income test
but who do not meet it. If the financial test is not met, CPC staff will send a copy of the work in
progress (WIP) transcript and a detailed explanation as to why the application to sponsor is Not
Met. CPC-M will also send the Financial Evaluation (IMM 1283E). It details a sponsor's financial
situation. If a sponsor does not fall under one of the categories described in R133(4), the
application should be refused under A11(2) pursuant to R120(a).and R133(1).
Sponsors of dependent children and of spouses, common-law partners or conjugal partners
(unless they have dependent children who have dependent children of their own) do not have to
meet financial requirements, but they do undertake to provide for the basic necessities of the
sponsored applicants so that the applicants do not need social assistance. Applicants may be
refused for financial reasons under A39 if they are unable or unwilling to support themselves and
their dependent children and there are not adequate arrangements for their care and support.
Officers should take into consideration the sponsor’s financial situation and willingness to assist,
as well as the financial situation or employment prospects of the applicant, if applicable.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 9:17am
Originally posted by hbwpg hbwpg wrote:

Welfare is more of a social assistance than EI, which is a paid-into insurance that everyone is eligible for.

Welfare is not paid into, and you must be in dire need to qualify for it, or be a member of a disparaged group such as First Nations or disabled.

Rather than using the money you've paid into EI, it uses provincial funds to aid in daily living as well as assistance to find work (which EI also does).

The main difference is that EI is paid into with every paycheck while welfare is not.

Welfare is different from province to province, also, while EI is federal.

Anyway, you don't want to go on welfare

Thanks hbwpg. I am not going into welfare I don't want anything to jeopardize my application to sponsor my family

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 11:12am
No, I don't think you need to advise them if you get laid off. They don't want to be contacted unless you're notifying them of an address change right Wink or withdrawing your application.

Thanks alot of the replies.
When I sent my application I sent them my T4 slip for the last year (2008). I made more than enough than they require, but if I get laid off. do I call them to let them know?, I can show them T4 of this year which we get in January. thanks alot

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 6:57pm
if the sponsor has been approved, not telling then is still dicey. If it's not been approved, not telling them could prove destructive.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 5:54am
To emphasize: I am pretty sure there is no need to advise CIC the sponsor has become unemployed, nor of a change in job. It is not a qualifying criteria. If in doubt, read the guide for clear instructions as to what information does need to be updated . . . my recall is that it is (1) change in status of relationship, (2) change in address, (3) changes affecting eligibility to sponsor (filing bankruptcy, being incarcerated, going on welfare, and such . . . which is not going on EI), or (4) intent to withdraw sponsorship.

-------------

Posted By: launched
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 11:29am
Quick question:
I have been out of Canada since 2007, when I filed my application I included my 2007 Option C printout, but did not add an explanation, does anyone think this could create a problem?

I have been approved to sponsor, but I am paranoid.

Posted By: gggomez
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 11:47am
I'll Amen that! I actually phoned them to advise them that I had lost my full time job. They did indeed say that I did not need to report any changes in my circumstances unless it is the address or the death of a spouse.

Posted By: IslandGirl
Date Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 3:51am
The explanation is only needed if you did not provide an Option C printout from CRA.
You're fine

Originally posted by launched launched wrote:

Quick question:
I have been out of Canada since 2007, when I filed my application I included my 2007 Option C printout, but did not add an explanation, does anyone think this could create a problem?

I have been approved to sponsor, but I am paranoid.

-------------
Used to be known here as "feb7" - there's no doubt to my gender this way
http://tinyurl.com/ydsvlx4 - My previous profile

Print Page | Close Window