Print Page | Close Window

citizenship

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Preserving Permanent Residence Status
Forum Description: How long can a permanent resident remain outside of Canada? Commentaries on preserving permanent residence.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=866
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 8:12am

Topic: citizenship
Posted By: koko
Subject: citizenship
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 12:42am

I received my PR card in 2007 jan... but I hv been living in the USA with my husband after since. My PR expires in2012 JAn. I am eligible to apply for the citizenship, that I know..but the big question is:

1. Should I come to canada & apply for the citizenship or should I wait?
2. Regardless of all,lets say, If I apply for the citizenship, will the judge find out? And how ??

plzz guide!!!!!

-------------
koko

Replies:
Posted By: canvis2006
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 12:56am
Check %20 - www.cic.gc.ca for details on applying for Citizenship.

Posted By: edmotonresident
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 1:10am
Originally posted by koko koko wrote:

I received my PR card in 2007 jan... but I hv been living in the USA with my husband after since. My PR expires in2012 JAn. I am eligible to apply for the citizenship, that I know..but the big question is:

2. Regardless of all,lets say, If I apply for the citizenship, will the judge find out? And how ??

plzz guide!!!!!

As per Citizenship Act, you should have 1095 days of PHYSICAL presence in Canada in the last 4 years before your application for citizenship, furthermore, you could loose your PR status if you don't have 2 years of physical presence in Canada out of 5 years (since you received your PR status).
Accordingly, as an answer to your 1st question, you are not eligible to apply for citizenship.
Second, CIC will find out based on the Residence Questionnaire tool, after checking your travel history during your PR status. (my own opinion)

-------------
"Canada, where good people live"

Posted By: job_seeker
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 1:49am
Originally posted by koko koko wrote:

plzz guide!!!!!

Is your husband a Canadian Citizen?

Posted By: blackpearl
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 9:49am
How are you eligible for Canadian citizenship if you have been living in USA since you landed?
You need 1095 days physical residency in Canada to be eligible for citizenship.

If you are living in US with your husband, you may risk losing PR status, if your husband is not Canadian citizen.

Also, you have to apply for citizenship from within Canada. 

You will have to provide proof that you have been living in Canada. This is done by showing your current and old passports. If the judge is not satisfied, you will be asked to provide further proof, such as employment in Canada, valid Canadian health card and driver's licence, T4s, and so on.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 11:02pm
yes, my husband is a canadian citizen. I do have a health card but it is expired, which i will certainly get renewed. Also, I do have a drivers license & a SIN card.

What are my chances?
Any hope!!!!

-------------
koko

Posted By: scylla
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 11:21pm
If your husband is a Canadian citizen then your PR status is safe.

However as others have said, you have to spend 1095 days physically in Canada to qualify for citizenship. The time you have spent with your husband outside of Canada does not count towards this total.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 11:43pm
thank u for ur prompt reply!

-------------
koko

Posted By: edmotonresident
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 12:41am
Originally posted by scylla scylla wrote:

If your husband is a Canadian citizen then your PR status is safe.

However as others have said, you have to spend 1095 days physically in Canada to qualify for citizenship. The time you have spent with your husband outside of Canada does not count towards this total.

There's an exception here...
If her husband works for a canadian employer and sent to work in USA, then she is already counting the residency time.

-------------
"Canada, where good people live"

Posted By: canvis2006
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 11:46pm
Not for citizenship....just for PR.

Posted By: ecs
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 11:29am
Koko,
IF you husband is a canadian citizen, then your PR in safe. You can get renewals everytime it expires. But you will still have to live in Canada to apply for CIT. I know this as my wife is in the same boat too..

Posted By: ecs
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 11:30am
please post this question in the Citizenship forum and someone will answer you..

Print Page | Close Window