Print Page | Close Window

How to sponsor my Filipina girlfriend

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Family Class Sponsorship
Forum Description: A review of current sponsorship programs (permanent residence) promoting the reunion in Canada of close relatives from abroad.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6434
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:45pm

Topic: How to sponsor my Filipina girlfriend
Posted By: coolshyguy
Subject: How to sponsor my Filipina girlfriend
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 7:44pm
So, I am looking at going to the Philippines to marry the girl of my dreams, but before i do that i understand there is a process that should be done before you go. I am very unclear of what the actual process is and the steps i should take.

Now there are some other questions i would like to ask as well;

What are the qualifications required to sponsor your wife?

Does your credit score effect the  sponsorship ?

If i have a criminal record does this effect the application?

How long after you get married and all the papers are in place does it take to process them and get her here? (estimated time).

What is going to be required on her end as well?

I am looking to go to the phils in August so i would like to get everything in order prior to me going there, so any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Replies:
Posted By: kueball
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 9:43pm
Hi coolshyguy.

I just got married in January 2011 in the Philippines to my girl.

There is a lot on information you will need.

Here is a web link which will help answer some of your questions. http://marriage.about.com/od/philippines/a/philippines.htm - http://marriage.about.com/od/philippines/a/philippines.htm

Read it and if there is any more questions, I will help to answer them. 

Cheers!

Greg

-------------
04/04/11 AOR letter requesting PP,AOM & Petition of Divorce.
06/09/11 Medical results have been received.
08/04/11 DM.
08/13/11 Visa arrived.
08/20/11 Arrived in Toronto.

Posted By: kueball
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 10:33pm
Hi coolshyguy.

I found more information for you.

Cheers!

Greg.

Philippines Marriage Sponsorship: A Difficult Process

In most cases, if not all, the couple will end up living in Canada. The process for a Filipino marriage is, unfortunately, a tough and lengthy one. The Filipino government imposes strict requirements on foreigners if they wish to marry a Filipino citizen. Furthermore, getting a hold of the Filipino authorities in Canada is very difficult and if you do get a hold of the authorities, it can be quite confusing to understand all the rules and fees for a marriage in the Philippines, and then sponsoring a Filipino. For any Canadian marrying a Filipino and wishing for their spouse to immigrate to Canada, the process does not end there.                

For a Filipino to travel abroad, it is easier said than done. Filipino citizens can have a difficult time entering Canada, as the government does not always make it easy to obtain a visa. This is why, for any Canadian wishing to bring their partner or spouse to Canada, it is recommended that they sponsor them for permanent residence if they want their spouse to live with them in Canada. Sponsoring a person from the Philippines requires that many documents be submitted, which can be lengthy. Anyone trying to do these processes by themselves can get overwhelmed or simply get frustrated and give up.                

Marriage in Philippines

If you wish to marry a Philippine citizen in the Philippines, these are the documents you must submit to the Philippine authorities in order to get married in the Philippines. These are the documents required by the government of the Philippines in order to get married in the Philippines:
  • Your passport with at least 6 months validity to enter the Philippines.
  • Certificate of no record of marriage
  • If applicable, proof that previous marriages have been legally dissolved.
When you arrive in the Philippines you will need to acquire a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry. This is a document you must obtain from the Canadian Embassy in Manila. Only after you have obtained this document can you get married in the Philippines. You may only obtain this document once you have arrived in the Philippines               

Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry
is required for Canadian Citizens.
Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage

Any foreigner who wishes to marry in the Philippines is required by the Philippine Government to obtain from his/her Embassy a "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" before filing an application for a marriage license. This certification affirms that there are no legal impediments to the                 foreigner marrying a Filipino (i.e, that the foreigner is already married to someone else). Instead, the Philippine Government accepts an "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage." Canadians may execute this affidavit at the Canadian Embassy in Manila. Personal appearances of the Canadian citizen applicant cannot be waived, but the fiance(e) need not be present. Philippine authorities will not accept any substitute document initiated in Canada.

Filipino Sponsorship

Service for a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who wishes to sponsor their spouse:
What You Will Need to Qualify as a Sponsor

To qualify as a sponsor, you must meet the following requirements:
You intend to marry a Philipino citizen in Philipino and you intend to live in Canada with him/her.
  1. You are single and free to marry
  2. You are over 18 years of age and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada,                       
  3. living in Canada
  4. You are not on any social assistance program
  5. You are not in default of any previous sponsorship
  6. You are not bankrupt
  7. You are not in prison

Who can sponsor?

A Canadian citizen or permanent resident is able to sponsor his/her spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent children to come to Canada as permanent residents. Applicants for permanent residence must go through medical and background screening. Applicants with a criminal record may not be allowed  to enter Canada. Applicants who may pose a risk to Canada’s security are also not allowed to enter Canada. Lastly, applicants may be denied due to medical                 inadmissibility.

-------------
04/04/11 AOR letter requesting PP,AOM & Petition of Divorce.
06/09/11 Medical results have been received.
08/04/11 DM.
08/13/11 Visa arrived.
08/20/11 Arrived in Toronto.

Print Page | Close Window