Print Page | Close Window

Current temp resident applying for study permit

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics
Forum Name: Study Visa
Forum Description:
Printed Date: 29 Sep 2020 at 2:03pm

Topic: Current temp resident applying for study permit
Posted By: cmillhoff
Subject: Current temp resident applying for study permit
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2011 at 6:52pm
Hi Everyone!

I am hoping someone can answer my question. I have lived and worked in Canada for a year and a half as research assistant at a Canadian University. I recently was accepted to the university I work at for post-secondary study. My current work permit expires at the end of August, at which time I will drive to my closest border crossing (I'm a U.S. citizen) and apply for my study permit.

However, my husband (on an open work permit based on my permit) and I want to stay in Canada and become permanent residents. I will qualify for the Canadian Experience Class permanent residency the beginning of August because I will have worked in Canada for over two years.

Is it possible to apply for permanent residency while I'm attending school on my study permit? Or will I have to wait until after I am done with school to apply?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We love Canada and want to stay, just without the headaches of always worrying when our work/study permits will expire.

Print Page | Close Window