Print Page | Close Window

Peru timelines and immigration

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Family Class Sponsorship
Forum Description: A review of current sponsorship programs (permanent residence) promoting the reunion in Canada of close relatives from abroad.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=52
Printed Date: 14 May 2024 at 5:23am

Topic: Peru timelines and immigration
Posted By: talion
Subject: Peru timelines and immigration
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 3:56am
Looks like we're starting in a brave new world and the posts from the old forum did not get moved over, which is a shame as there was a lot of useful information there. Here is the link to the old forum:

http://www.immigration.ca/discussion2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37817&whichpage=1 - Link to the Old Forum

Please include any useful information or current anecdotal experiences to this thread and we'll try to build it again.

I got married just a couple of weeks ago, have received the official government receipt and expect if all goes well to have my package put together shortly, and will be paying all the fees this week. Hoping to see a lot of the contributors from the old thread with the tons of useful info and insight they provided. Best of luck for prompt processing all!

-------------
Landed in Canada June 24, 2010
Citizen app rcvd Sept 17,2013
in process Nov. 25, 2013

Replies:
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 3:06pm
It appears that the medical exams in Peru take place in Lima and the the tests are forwarded to Trinidad, for whatever inexplicable reason. The results are then forwarded out from there. does anybody have any input on how long the processing time is to do this?

Also, the 3 doctors we spoke to contradict themselves on whether the results are then sent directly to me in canada, or back to her in peru. Also, in speaking to one peruvian guy who now lives in Ontario, having done this before, he says that the results are forwarded back to the embassy directly and wait for the balance of the application there.

so in short, where do they go and how long do they take? :)

Posted By: jstmarried
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2009 at 2:30pm
Hello talion,
i wondered why no one was posting in the old thread. i just noticed today. about the medicals they do the testing in lima wich it is a pain and the file gets send to haiti for analysis . they handle all of south and central america. Results are sent to visa office specified yours being lima takes about 25 days i am not too sure, however you get a form that you put with your package at the time the doctor is performing the I am sorry i forget the name of the form, my husband has now been here for three months its great.

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2009 at 9:45pm
Hi jstmarried!

Apparently the medicals now get sent to Trinidad, but otherwise the same deal.

I'm really happy for you! Glad it's going so well, and can't wait for that to be the case for me too. I'm sure many of the others haven't made the connection between the old board and the new one either, since they're not getting any reply notifications. When I have a bit of spare time I'll try moving some of the material from the old board over to this new one. There's some great stuff in there that shouldn't be lost.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 12:50pm
no your right port of spain trinindad is were they are sent i was confused. yes there is good information there. Not many come online. Although my hubby is here i sometimes have some spare time at work and see how things are going.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 12:52pm
make sure to apply for tourist visa 1 month after your application arrives to peru who knows and maybe youll get your application approved faster. ours did.

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 2:25pm
coincidence of timing? what is it that accelerated the process by applying for a tourist visa?

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 2:51pm
With a great big nod of thanks to all of those on the old board who compiled and provided the wealth of information (singlefather, Tatatiu T etc...) I'm going to transpose some of the links and info from there over here for the use of the new generation of visa seekers. I'll skip the old timeline links as these are likely no longer relevant

let's start with the Peru version of the CIC site, if you want to be able to read info in spanish. (no spanish forms though)

%20 - http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/peru-perou/

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 3:01pm
sending certified mail from Peru, costs and timeframes (spanish only)

%20 - http://www.serpost.com.pe/

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 3:22pm
actually, the random gobbets of very useful information are too widely spread to bring in a piece at a time, so for anyone coming new to the forum I'd suggest that you go in and have a look at all the stuff our kindly predecessors left for us. here's the link:

(moved the link to the opening post)

-------------
in process Nov. 25, 2013

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2009 at 3:53pm
I am assuming it does accelerate the process, this happened to two other people on the site coincedence? You be the judge.

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 7:58pm
jstmarried, what did you write in your tourist visa application while you were waiting for the PRV, and what backup did you provide?

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 11:57am
Well i didn't write the application, but my husband wrote that he had his immigration papers in process and that the reasons why he had been denied visa before is that he did not have any ties to peru. He also mentioned that he wanted to come visit me and that once a descision was made on his case he would return to peru. I wrote a letter of invitation and provided my employment letter and copies of my citizenship card and a copy of our marriage certificate wich they already had in the file. Everything was fairly straight forward.

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2009 at 11:59am
I also mentioned I would be taking care of all of his expenses while and housing while his stay here. HOpe this helps

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 12:59pm
Yep. I'll give it a go. It's a fairly small investment of time and money whether it works or not.

I'm a bit unclear on the timing. When you apply for the tourist visa it usually takes less than a month to get completely sorted. You applied for the tourist visa about a month after applying for your PRV. So in theory that should only be about 2 months total, if they process normally and substitute the PRV for the tourist visa.

Did they just keep you hanging with no word on the tourist visa, and then you got the PRV as a nice surprise 4 months later?

Posted By: singlefather
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 4:27pm
talion,

If you can find that old thread I started and post the link that would be great. I spent ton´s of hours researching the info and copying info into that thread and would love to be availble to review it.

what city is your loved one in ? I am in Chiclayo now with my wife and children.

Sf

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 6:03pm
singlefather, I did post a link to your thread on the old board earlier in this thread, so that everyone can access all of the great info you provided. Thank you very much for that.

My wife is currently in Tarapoto. her documents and translations are coming here via courier as we speak and by the end of the week if all goes well our package will be on its way to Mississauga for the great govenrment wheel to begin turning.

wish us luck for a quick processing time!

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 12:01pm
Hello Talion,
I will post my timelines.
Sent documents to mississauga May 26,2009
approved to sponsor and sent to lima June 23,2009
applied for a Tourist visa August 5,2009
recieved PRV September 3rd, 2009
Landed in Canada Setptember 22, 2009

we waited two months to apply for TRV to make sure our file was actually at the embassy. We had not heard anything from the embassy in those two months. It took the office a month to approve his residency.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 12:02pm
Hi SingleFather long time.

How is life in Peru treating you??? How are things going for you? My husband has been here for almost 4 months now and things are so great i am extremely happy.

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 10:10pm
OK, so the process starts...

Package sent to Mississauga Jan. 22, 2010

wish me luck for a quick turnaround!

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 1:06pm
package sent Jan. 22, 2010
Arrived in Mississauga jan 27, 2010

Forgive the redundancies. I wanted to have an ongoing, online record of the timeline that I can access from anywhere. carry on. lol

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 10:17am
best of luck on your Journey. This can be frusterating at times but should not take too long

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 7:01pm
thanks, jstmarried. I hope you're right. We'll try the trick of applying for the tourist visa around the end of march. It can't hurt, and it would be great to have her up here for the summer!

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 2:22am
getting kind of lonely in here. Surely I can't be the only one with a Peruvian spouse coming up?

-------------
in process Nov. 25, 2013

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 10:46am
i know how that felt all too well. I felt i was the only one going through that process.

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 3:50pm
the Peru group is a smaller and quieter group than many others. lol. Nice to know you're out there though, jstmarried.

approved as a sponsor Feb 22nd, so I'll send the application for a tourist visa at the beginning of April, following your advice.

-------------
in process Nov. 25, 2013

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 8:55am
Congratulations Talion yes i stick around. Although my husband has been here now 6 months and things are running great i still like to help and see how things are going. i sometimes have some spare times at work :)

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 4:34pm
Talion how is it going???

Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:21pm
nothing new. still waiting to hear back from the embassy. I have no idea what they're doing yet, and everything is still "in process"

-------------
in process Nov. 25, 2013

Date Posted: 19 May 2010 at 1:19pm
Did you apply for TRV??

-------------
Application To CPC-M: May 26,2009
Approved as Sponsor: June 23,2009
Applied for TRV: Aug 5,2009
Pr Visa Rcvd: Sep 3, 2009
Landed: Sep 22, 2009

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 4:07pm
apparently a decision has been made on the permanent visa, according to e-cas. I still don't know what the decision is, of course, but they will be forwarding out the info.

How long does it usually take for them to contact you, and is that usually in the form of a letter and a phone call, or just a letter? Assuming it's a letter does it go to both the sponsor and the applicant or just the applicant?

-------------
in process Nov. 25, 2013

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 10:51am
Hello Talion,
well lets hope its apositive note. Not really sure as we had an answer about amonth after we applied for visa. He was told at the embassy. he could get a letter to send in her passport. How exciting

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 2:57am
Argh. The idiots at the embassy actually approved the visa on May 25th, but they called and got no one then didn't call back. They didn't reject the TRV, they rejected the TRV in favor of the PR. At least that's the story my wife gave me. We just found out about the approval last week. In any case, she should be landing here on June 24th, so there you go.

I still won't consider the whole thing done until she picks up the documents at the embassy Tuesday and clears immigration Thursday, pessimist that I am, but it appears to be finished and quicker than I thought it would be.

-------------
in process Nov. 25, 2013

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 10:24am
trust me its done. Now i think this really proves it. If you apply for TRV thing definately go quicker. Same scenario. Almost:) congrats and happy landing. Not too much longer now :)

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jun 2010 at 10:29am
ohh you may want to arrive at the airport on time i thought it would take my husband longer in customes and i came about 15 minutes after he landed. To my surprise he landed 5 minutes earlier and was out before i got there. Called me up and asked if i forgot about him

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 2:31pm
Hope your wife had a safe landing and Welcome to Canada

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 1:44pm
yes, she landed safely and is now in Canada. She arrived on the 24th. Now to deal with all the government crap here! lol. It never stops.

-------------
in process Nov. 25, 2013

Posted By: getmarried
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 5:50am

I just found this old thread. Any updates from anyone? Anybody have any recent info on the Canadian embassy in Lima or have landed in Canada the last couple of years from Peru? What are the waiting times in Lima now for spousal visas ?

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 6:26am
bump.. anybody processing a application from Peru.

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 1:59pm
My husband landed 3 years back this year... he is now applying for citizenship. there is updated lists on processing times on the immigration website. We applied for a Tourist visa and got PR instead this happened in a span of 4 months.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 3:30pm
My timelines are the same ones that I had posted earlier. From discussions with the family in peru it seems that little has changed, but I wouldn't rely on them as a good source. Applying for a tourist visa while the PR is in progress (after it's been received by the embassy) definitely shortened our time as well.

jstmarried, I'm curious about your spouse's citizenship application, which I freely admit I haven't looked into much yet, being more than a year away for us. Can you only apply after 3 years has passed, or can you schedule things so that it finalizes at 3 years?

-------------
in process Nov. 25, 2013

Posted By: wayneandcarolina
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 11:45am
when did you guys apply?
It was pretty "easy" for us...
Only took 3 months and 2 weeks to receive the PR since the application was received by the canadian embassy in Lima.
Currently is taking like 14 months. Well exactly the same time they told me, but ours worked out pretty well.
Applying for a tourist visa while the PR is in progress (after it's been received by the embassy) helps a lot. But you have to be sure the application is at least 3 months in Lima.
Let us know how it goes for you!

Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 2:01pm
Hello Talion, you have to be at least 3 years out of five in canada to apply for citizenship. Since my husband hasn't been our of the country for three years we can definately apply for citizenship. I believe you can only apply after those three years have past not before. We will problably have to wait 1 year for the application to be processed. but nothing is keeping us in the country :). At the time when our application was processing they said it would take about 1 year or so my timelines are as below

-------------

Date Posted: 02 May 2012 at 5:11pm
I thought it would probably be like that. We're coming up on two years now and starting to think about what will be need at 3 years in order to apply, and how best to utilize the timing so as to put a Canadian passport in her hands as soon as possible.

How has the application process for citizenship been for you, or have you started it yet? I notice it hasn't quite been 3 years for you. ever since the immigration forms I've been dreading having to do new comprehensive sets of federal forms. lol. Even though the the PR application wasn't really difficult it was a time consuming pain that required a significant attention to detail. I'm hoping the citizenship process isn't as bad.

I'll have to take my wife to more hockey games so she can practice her "O Canada". :)

-------------
in process Nov. 25, 2013

Date Posted: 03 May 2012 at 12:35pm
haha. No we havent started it yet not even touched it. I am expecting our first child and we have been focused on that more than anything. I remember doing my citizenship application a while back (procrastination) and it wasn't that bad, you have to take more pictures and pay about $200. But i think things have changed now not sure. I guess we will have to see.

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2012 at 6:06pm
Bump....

Anybody going through the immigration process with their Peruvian spouse.

Gracias for responding.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 6:34pm
bump

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2013 at 6:16pm
Hello , Anybody else sponsoring a Peruvian.

Posted By: melaniemezones
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 10:05am
I am, and it is taking forever to get any answers from them. Here is my timeline.

We applied for spousal sponsorship on October 1st of 2012, I was approved to be his sponsor on October 29th 2012. We were happy that it had gone quickly at that point and were very hopeful. Our file was then sent to the consulate in Lima with his medical files and that's where the progress stops. The file still shows as only ''received'' 9 months later. I've contacted them and was told that the application is still in queue to be reviewed, which means it has not even been opened yet after 9 months.

If anybody else is going through the same thing it would be great to get any feedback as I'm not getting any help from the consulates as they absolutely hate when you contact them. So we've been waiting....

Also, has anybody else tried to apply for visitor visa while waiting on the PR application, would this be a wise thing to do?

Posted By: pmm
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 1:05pm
Hi

Originally posted by melaniemezones melaniemezones wrote:

I am, and it is taking forever to get any answers from them. Here is my timeline.

We applied for spousal sponsorship on October 1st of 2012, I was approved to be his sponsor on October 29th 2012. We were happy that it had gone quickly at that point and were very hopeful. Our file was then sent to the consulate in Lima with his medical files and that's where the progress stops. The file still shows as only ''received'' 9 months later. I've contacted them and was told that the application is still in queue to be reviewed, which means it has not even been opened yet after 9 months.

If anybody else is going through the same thing it would be great to get any feedback as I'm not getting any help from the consulates as they absolutely hate when you contact them. So we've been waiting....

Also, has anybody else tried to apply for visitor visa while waiting on the PR application, would this be a wise thing to do?

1. I assume that you noted that the processing time for spousal applications at Lima is 16 months for 80% of the applications. So they will not reply to your requests until 16 months have passed.

-------------
PMM

Date Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 2:02pm
yes that is what CIC has on their website as the current timeline. However, the consulate when emailing them says UP to 12 months. I'm not saying that we are over the time line, I just wish the process would be a little easier, specially where there was no news for 9 months. They also have not yet updated their timeline up to the last quarter so the 16 months may not be completely accurate.

Posted By: pmm
Date Posted: 04 Aug 2013 at 7:15pm
Hi

Originally posted by melaniemezones melaniemezones wrote:

yes that is what CIC has on their website as the current timeline. However, the consulate when emailing them says UP to 12 months. I'm not saying that we are over the time line, I just wish the process would be a little easier, specially where there was no news for 9 months. They also have not yet updated their timeline up to the last quarter so the 16 months may not be completely accurate.

You can look at the actual timings from Lima at http://data.gc.ca/data/en/dataset/427337d0-7c36-4fed-8428-c6a63f8c19b3 from April/12 to Mar/13

20 %     30 %     50 %     70 %     80%

5     7     10     12     15 Months.

-------------
PMM

Posted By: wayneandcarolina
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 2:39am
yes. we did go through the same situation.
now knowing that your file is there... you guys should apply for the tourist visa.
that will help out a little bit. because they will take a look on your app. 
i applied for the tourist visa couple of times but the first one didn't work out cause the application wasn't there yet.

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 7:04am
So the tourist visa helped them to look at the PR file faster or were you guys given the tourist visa instead? My husband and I discussed this but he was concerned that if he was given the tourist visa first there might be some back and forth back to Lima if we had to redo some of the paper work that expired on his PR application, which is money that we don't have. So just to make sure I understand correctly, you filed the tourist visa application while waiting for the PR application and it helped moved things along with the PR application?

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 11:46am
Also just another question because I started filing the application for the visitor visa but they are asking now for police certificates and medical exams again. Would you suggest that we re-do these for the purpose of this application or should we just formally advise them that these were in fact already done and are included in the PR application file?

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 12:41pm
We also applied for a tourist visa once the application for the PR was in. Wait for it to be in the hands of the embassy for about a month and then send it in.This will ensure that they have it and that it is available to be seen by their workers. There is no extra back and forth with the embassy because of the tourist visa application, but when you make the application for the tourist visa you should make sure that you indicate on it that you have a PR application in process.

The logic behind it works like this: The embassy worker cna have a look at and screen and then approve/disapprove your tourist visa application, and then they can come back later and do the same with your PR application, or, if the sun catches them in the right light, they might just decide that it's easier to just do the one application and process your PR instead. That's what happened with us. We applied for the tourist visa and instead got the PR, rather than a response on the TV. Of course, there's no guarantees in any of this, and there may be some luck involved in who gets the application, but it worked for us and has apparently worked for several others as well.

-------------
in process Nov. 25, 2013

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 12:43pm
Oh, and no timelines should be taken seriously at this point, given the strike actions being taken by CIC staff. Everything is being held up right now, from TV applications right up to Citizenship applications. There's no telling how big the delays might be.

-------------
in process Nov. 25, 2013

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 11:17am
Omg you guys are awesome!!! We got the refusal letter today for the Visitor Visa and just as I was going to post a question here about how long it took to hear back from the embassy on the PR application I got an email from them asking for paperwork!! So they finally started working on it!! Wish us luck.

Posted By: Faisal123
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2013 at 10:30am

Dear Client,

This is in response to your email (see below).

Your / your spouse’s file is in a queue to be scheduled for an interview. You will receive notification by mail advising you of the date and time of the interview well in advance of the interview date.

In the meantime, if there is any change in your address or in your family composition, inform us as soon as possible (see fax number and address below).

Note that applications in each category are processed on a first-in first-out basis. Please do not request an early interview as this is not possible.

At this time, you are not requested to provide any additional documents. If any further information or documents are required, you will be notified. We thank you for your patience and for keeping your correspondence to a minimum.

For future reference, in all correspondence to our office, please refer to the applicant's full name, date of birth and file number.

Regards,

Immigration Section  wot they want know pls tell me friends 

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2013 at 11:12pm
Did any of you or your spouses have to go for an interview? My husband has one scheduled for Monday October 28th and all that he was asked to bring to the interview is a photo ID, nothing else. We are so nervous for Monday. We've been studying up on all sorts of questions that people have posted online from their own experience but its hard to tell what they will ask. Any suggestions or advice that you guys may have would be really great!

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 7:14pm
Hello Melanie ,

How did it go with your husband's interview ?

Can you please post some information here about it so we can gain from your husband´s experience.

How is your file going ?

when is your husband coming to canada ?

I hope all is well.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 8:13pm
Hi!

His interview went well, mostly they just asked questions about his previous marriage. He was married when he was 18 and they divorced a few years later. None of the questions were about the validity of our marriage, we've been together for 8 years so it's pretty obvious that we are a real couple. Since then, it hasn't budged. I've contacted the embassy not too long ago and they tell me that the file is still "under evaluation" and to wait until they contact us. It will be 3 months since the interview in about a week. So we are now at 15 months processing, the medicals have expired (confirmed on GMCS notes). So i ended up ordering the GMCS notes in early December and i just received it a week ago, from what i see the interview did in fact go very well and they were happy with his answers. The GMCS notes show that the Eligibility is "in process" and that the criminal and security are still at "not started". It seems like we might have to wait a while longer. It's very difficult because we can't afford for me to fly out and see him that often, i just can't wait for it to be all over. 

I'm just wondering how long it can take after a interview for them to finalize an application, this just seems way too long. It's making us really nervous...

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 7:14pm
Hi melanie ,

Any updates ? I wonder why it has taken 15 months before they even start the criminal and security checks. Good luck and keep us posted.

Date Posted: 06 Jul 2014 at 7:35pm
bump

Print Page | Close Window