Print Page | Close Window

transfer from open work permit to study permit

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics
Forum Name: Work Visa
Forum Description:
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=445
Printed Date: 14 Nov 2019 at 3:34am


Topic: transfer from open work permit to study permit
Posted By: edmontonguy
Subject: transfer from open work permit to study permit
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 8:52pm

Hi

Currently I'm on open work permit in Canada. Today I got admission in one of the college in edmonton for 2 years course and the course is going to start from may 2010. WIll there be any difficulty getting study permit as currently i'm on open work permit in canada.

Will there be any difficulty in getting my condition change (getting study permit from open work permit)

Regards
Harjinder



-------------
Baljinder



Replies:
Posted By: job_seeker
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by edmontonguy edmontonguy wrote:

Hi


Currently I'm on open work permit in Canada. Today I got admission in one of the college in edmonton for 2 years course and the course is going to start from may 2010. WIll there be any difficulty getting study permit as currently i'm on open work permit in canada.


Will there be any difficulty in getting my condition change (getting study permit from open work permit)


RegardsHarjinder



Hi,

     From what I have read, you can change your status from worker to student for as long as you can show proof that you can pay your tuition and support yourself.


Posted By: edmontonguy
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2009 at 11:55pm
well my husband is working in good company and his pay is around 65K/annum what else proof do i have to show any idea

-------------
Baljinder


Posted By: job_seeker
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 2:16am
Originally posted by edmontonguy edmontonguy wrote:

well my husband is working in good company and his pay is around 65K/annum what else proof do i have to show any idea


Hi,

Then by all means you can go ahead and apply for your student permit. All the best.


Posted By: edmontonguy
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 10:35am
as my husband is on work permit so once i get study permit will his work permit will also be changed

-------------
Baljinder


Posted By: job_seeker
Date Posted: 18 Dec 2009 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by edmontonguy edmontonguy wrote:

as my husband is on work permit so once i get study permit will his work permit will also be changed


Were you the principal applicant? Spouses may accompany a person who is approved for a student permit and are given open work permit.


Posted By: edmontonguy
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 1:09am
my husband is principal applicant but i', going on study permit now

-------------
Baljinder


Posted By: job_seeker
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 9:21am
I think your visa is co-terminus with your husband's. But the guidelines say you can change the conditions of your stay from worker to student. So there does not seem any reason why you can't. All the best.


Posted By: edmontonguy
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 11:20am
thanks job seeker but when  my wife gets study permit will my will also be changed to open work permit or my work permit still remains same and in next year december when my work permit expires then can i apply for open work permit and will there by any hassle of getting open work permit then.

-------------
Baljinder


Posted By: job_seeker
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by edmontonguy edmontonguy wrote:

thanks job seeker but when  my wife gets study permit will my will also be changed to open work permit or my work permit still remains same and in next year december when my work permit expires then can i apply for open work permit and will there by any hassle of getting open work permit then.


hmmm. but you can already apply for PR next year, can't you? You are working in the IT field (skilled) and two years Canadian experience, so you can apply under CEC.


Posted By: edmontonguy
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 11:55pm

Yes I can but the problem is when i was in india i applied in the year 2006 my immigration but if i have to apply now in canda i have to pull the file from india so i fear if i apply form here i have to pull the file from india and i have almost invested more than 4 years now. Also, there is condition while applying for PR from canada you should have valid work permit and by the time you get immigration your work permit should be valid and i believe if i apply from canda it takes around 12=18 months to get PR. Please help



-------------
Baljinder


Posted By: job_seeker
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2009 at 10:51am
Originally posted by edmontonguy edmontonguy wrote:

Yes I can but the problem is when i was in india i applied in the year 2006 my immigration but if i have to apply now in canda i have to pull the file from india so i fear if i apply form here i have to pull the file from india and i have almost invested more than 4 years now. Also, there is condition while applying for PR from canada you should have valid work permit and by the time you get immigration your work permit should be valid and i believe if i apply from canda it takes around 12=18 months to get PR. Please help



I don't think you need to withdraw your previous PR application. I am assuming you applied under FSW (IT was still part of the list of occupations under pressure then). With the CEC you can apply after you have gained two years experience. I have read posts of forum members who have applied under two streams- family sponsorship and FSW, so why not FSW and CEC? How far are you with your previous PR app?


Posted By: mod
Date Posted: 24 Dec 2009 at 1:56am
hi



Print Page | Close Window