Forum Name: Visit Visa
Forum Description:
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=401
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 7:05pm

Topic: TEMP redident
Posted By: curtis
Subject: TEMP redident
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 7:41pm
I am here to visit my son but the officer issued me at visa office temp visa which is only valid for two months.
i applied for extension last week but the processing time is 95 days but my visa expires before that.

is it okay for me to stay since it is in process?

please help me.

Replies:
Posted By: jamaisomal
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 8:14pm
Yes. You have implied status until they make a decision on your application.

-------------
Application sent May 13, 2010
Started processing July 22, 2010.
Decision made March 7, 2011
Landed April 13th 2011
The whole process took exactly 11 months!

Posted By: job_seeker
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by curtis curtis wrote:

I am here to visit my son but the officer issued me at visa office temp visa which is only valid for two months.i applied for extension last week but the processing time is 95 days but my visa expires before that.is it okay for me to stay since it is in process?please help me.

Are you already in Canada? The validity date on the visa is the last date you must enter Canada. When you entered Canada, the officer at POE stamps a date on your passport and if s/he did not place a cap/limit ('end-date') your stay in Canada is valid for 6 months. But if there was a date (like you said valid for only two months?), and you had applied for an extension, then you're on implied status, so you can stay until you hear from CPC-V, or the date of your extension, if granted.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 11:25am
Thanks so it should be fine. the office at the entry just stamped entry stamp.
Implied status for 95 days that is plenty of time.

Posted By: job_seeker
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 11:59am
Originally posted by curtis curtis wrote:

Thanks so it should be fine. the office at the entry just stamped entry stamp.Implied status for 95 days that is plenty of time.

Do you mean to say that when you entered Canada, there was no other date except your date of entry/arrival to Canada? Then if there was no other date except the arrival date then you are admitted to Canada legally for 6 months.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 6:45pm
No i cant stay for six months beause my visa from visa office is only good for 2 months.

thats a problem? but now i know i have implied status since i have applied for extension.

thanks

Posted By: mrpier1
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 10:36am

A big word of caution, this is based on USA laws but you could assume the same issue will apply for Canada.  Everything you read about being “legal” while you’re waiting for your extension to be approved is correct.  It is the same for the US.  The big “got-you”  is by the time they get around for the extension the time will have past for the requested extension and they will deny your request.  This becomes a HUGE deal when you want to return for a visit.  You will have a denial on your passport (record) and the odds will be against you.  At least I can speak for the US.  It makes it almost impossible to return for many years once you have an extension denial   on your record. Just something to really think about.  

Print Page | Close Window