Print Page | Close Window

citizen or not?

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Canadian Citizenship
Forum Description: Commentaries outlining important issues in acquiring Canadian citizenship through naturalization
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35785
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:15pm

Topic: citizen or not?
Posted By: mnlmeyer
Subject: citizen or not?
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 8:24am
I have a question.   My husband was born in the United States in January 1959 to a Canadian mother who was a permanent resident of the US at the time.  I am also a Canadian citizen living in the US as a permanent resident.  Our two children have dual citizenship.  I obtained their Canadian citizenship certificates when they were babies.  We are considering moving to Canada to be closer to my family.  Can my husband apply for Canadian citizenship based on his birth to a Canadian mother (who is now a US citizen, but was Canadian at the time of his birth.  Please advise.  Thank you

-------------
N Meyer

Replies:
Posted By: pmm
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 12:54pm
Hi

Originally posted by mnlmeyer mnlmeyer wrote:

I have a question.   My husband was born in the United States in January 1959 to a Canadian mother who was a permanent resident of the US at the time.  I am also a Canadian citizen living in the US as a permanent resident.  Our two children have dual citizenship.  I obtained their Canadian citizenship certificates when they were babies.  We are considering moving to Canada to be closer to my family.  Can my husband apply for Canadian citizenship based on his birth to a Canadian mother (who is now a US citizen, but was Canadian at the time of his birth.  Please advise.  Thank you

1. Yes, he has to apply for Proof of Citizenship, the same as how you applied for your children. See: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship.html

-------------
PMM

Print Page | Close Window