Print Page | Close Window

Moving to Canada Permanently but not meeting RO

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Preserving Permanent Residence Status
Forum Description: How long can a permanent resident remain outside of Canada? Commentaries on preserving permanent residence.
Printed Date: 30 Jul 2021 at 5:02pm

Topic: Moving to Canada Permanently but not meeting RO
Posted By: neelcs
Subject: Moving to Canada Permanently but not meeting RO
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 12:05pm
I am looking for suggestions. 

 Here is my case details.
came to USA on student visa in 2007. 
Started working on H1b from 2012.
I and My wife Got Canada PR in 2014 and landed in Canada in Jan 2014.
Stayed 3 months and came to USA in March 2014 after getting PR Card.
PR card validity is March 2019.
Since then, we have not entered to Canada.

Now, i am planning to move Canada Permanently in this month with my wife (Canada PR) and 2 years old son (US Citizen). 

Questions :
1. what are the options we have ?
2. what are the chances of being reported ? what kind of supporting documents should i carry ? I do not have any solid reason for being outside of Canada but i have my family (2 sisters family - Canada Citizen and 2 nephew - PR in process and One on student visa ) living in Canada. Eventually, whole family of my 2 nephews will move to Canada once they get PR. So i have very good family ties in Canada. 
3.which route i should take - by car or by air ? Which land border/airport i should fly to ?
4. Do i need to hire lawyer to prepare supporting documents ?
5.Has anybody had same kind of situation and was able to enter Canada successfully ? Please share your experience which can help me. 

Thank you in advance. 

Posted By: colin
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:46pm
As a permanent resident, you must reside in Canada for at least 2 years in a 5-year period. Since you did not comply with this obligation, you have lost your permanent resident status. Therefore, if you decide to land in Canada, the border agent will most probably not let you in the country as you did not meet your PR obligations.

Note that if you wish to visit Canada or apply for permanent residency again, you and your family will need to voluntarily renounce your previous permanent residency.

If you wish to become a permanent resident again, you will need to apply through one of the existing programs (" rel="nofollow - ).

You can complete a free assessment on our website in order to have your options:" rel="nofollow -

Colin Singer, Canada Immigration Lawyer & Managing Partner," rel="nofollow -

Print Page | Close Window