Print Page | Close Window

PR short time first entry

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Preserving Permanent Residence Status
Forum Description: How long can a permanent resident remain outside of Canada? Commentaries on preserving permanent residence.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28051
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 1:32am

Topic: PR short time first entry
Posted By: kmr22
Subject: PR short time first entry
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 9:33pm
I have short time to make arrangements for entering Canada as a permanent resident. My plan is to enter the Canada apply for the PR card and return in 2 weeks so I can make my arrangements for a permanent relocation in 3 months. Can someone suggest if it is ok to do this. I have heard rumours that it is not allowed

Replies:
Posted By: pmm
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2017 at 1:33pm
Hi

Originally posted by kmr22 kmr22 wrote:

I have short time to make arrangements for entering Canada as a permanent resident. My plan is to enter the Canada apply for the PR card and return in 2 weeks so I can make my arrangements for a permanent relocation in 3 months. Can someone suggest if it is ok to do this. I have heard rumours that it is not allowed

1. You heard wrong, it is perfectly acceptable. Note you need a Canadian address for the PR card, if you don't receive it prior to your return you will have to apply for PR Travel Document to return to Canada.

-------------
PMM

Posted By: kmr22
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2017 at 11:30pm
Thank you pmm. That helps

Posted By: colin
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 5:20am
Yes, you can enter Canada to activate your PR status and stay for only a short period of time. However, you will need to provide a Canadian address in order for them to mail the PR card. You can give the address of a friend or a family member and, once received, that person can courier the card to you. You will need your PR card to re-enter Canada once your PR status is activated. If you still haven't received your PR card, you can apply for a PR travel document.

-------------
Colin Singer, Canada Immigration Lawyer & Managing Partner, http://www.immigration.ca" rel="nofollow - immigration.ca

Print Page | Close Window