Print Page | Close Window

Chances of my PR entry

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Preserving Permanent Residence Status
Forum Description: How long can a permanent resident remain outside of Canada? Commentaries on preserving permanent residence.
Printed Date: 25 Jul 2021 at 1:00pm

Topic: Chances of my PR entry
Posted By: aryank2000
Subject: Chances of my PR entry
Date Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 5:47am

 Here is my situation and I am trying to see if I can get any advise. Me and my wife are currently in US on H1B and both my kids are US citizens. We applied for our Canada PR through AINP. Me, my wife and my first kid (all three of us have PR cards and expired in Feb 2017) landed in Canada in May 2011 and met our landing requirements. And we have travelled to Canada a couple of times in 2011 and once in 2012. Ever since we have not travelled to Canada. Our second child was born in 2013 (US citizen) and she is not a Canadian PR. We now want to move to Canada for good. My question is

1.       what are our chances of being admitted into Canada as PR? (via road or air)

2.       Since our cards expired and since we have not satisfied PR residency requirements, have we lost the PR?

3.       How does it work with our second child?


Please help 

Posted By: colin
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2017 at 8:51pm

As a permanent resident, you must reside in Canada for at least 2 years in a 5-year period. Since you did not comply with this obligation, you have lost your permanent resident status. Therefore, if you decide to land in Canada now, you will not be able to enter the country as a permanent resident. You may also have difficulty travelling to Canada by air.

If you wish to become a permanent resident again, you will need to apply through one of the existing programs" rel="nofollow - ( .

Note that if you wish to visit Canada or apply for permanent residency again, you and your family will need to renounce claim to your previous permanent residency.

Colin Singer, Canada Immigration Lawyer & Managing Partner," rel="nofollow -

Posted By: aelempe
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 5:59am
What do you mean by renouncing claim?
Do you mean he should not state the fact that he ever had the PR?
I am in the same situation and I need the advise.


Posted By: colin
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:50pm
This means that, if you wish to re-apply for Permanent residency in Canada, you will first need to voluntarily renounce your Permanent Residence status. Once that is done, you will then be able to apply for Permanent Residency again.

You must declare that you used to be a PR otherwise, it will be considered as misrepresentation.

Colin Singer, Canada Immigration Lawyer & Managing Partner," rel="nofollow -

Print Page | Close Window