Print Page | Close Window


Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Preserving Permanent Residence Status
Forum Description: How long can a permanent resident remain outside of Canada? Commentaries on preserving permanent residence.
Printed Date: 21 Oct 2020 at 7:22am

Subject: PR TRAVEL
Date Posted: 31 May 2010 at 10:34am
I came to Canada IN 2005 and was unsuccessful in my refugee claim, I filed for PR status on H and C grounds and was successful. I have not been home in a 7 years now but really need to go. the situation in my country has changed and its not as dangerous as it was before. If I travel there would that be in violation of any laws since I initially filed a refugee claiom and will that affect my citizenship application when the time comes???

keep hop alive

Posted By: Beaver
Date Posted: 31 May 2010 at 6:29pm
In my opinion if you were granted refugee status and subsequently obtained PR status, then going home to where you fled from may raise red flags and the government may ask you why. Depends on the situation.  Same as getting it from H&C grounds because of the root cause of it (not being granted the refugee status).
You can check the travel advisories for Canadians in Passport Canada about the country you fled from, if it says "avoid all travel" then you may have a hard time explaining to CIC why you went back despite the dangers. If they advisory is something lesser then maybe you can give them a good reason why you travelled back there.
I can't really predict how CIC will handle you case when you apply for citizenship.
Good luck. 

Posted By: visitor
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 1:57pm
Beaver is absolutely right.

It can affect your future when you decide to apply for citizenship. First, get your citizenship and then travel.

Print Page | Close Window