Print Page | Close Window

PR Card Validity

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Preserving Permanent Residence Status
Forum Description: How long can a permanent resident remain outside of Canada? Commentaries on preserving permanent residence.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26888
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:14pm

Topic: PR Card Validity
Posted By: amardesai16
Subject: PR Card Validity
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 12:19pm
Hello,

Will my existing PR card still be valid after my new card is being issued?

I was outside Canada during the approval process. I am planning to return back in May and I dread my 'old' existing card being rejected at the self serve kiosks at YVR.

My Old PR card is getting expired in July.

Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: dpenabill
Date Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by amardesai16 amardesai16 wrote:

Will my existing PR card still be valid after my new card is being issued?
I was outside Canada during the approval process. I am planning to return back in May and I dread my 'old' existing card being rejected at the self serve kiosks at YVR

My Old PR card is getting expired in July

If the old card is "rejected" at the self serve kiosks at YVR that just means you will need to talk to a person to complete the process of entering Canada. It will not mean you are not a PR or that you would be denied entry into Canada.

As long as you are in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, there should be no problem.

If you are not in compliance with the PR Residency Obligation, the entry could be a problem even if you had the new PR card to present. Date on the PR card has nothing to do with PR RO. If there is a PR RO issue, you still are allowed to enter Canada, but potentially subject to being reported for the breach.

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration

Print Page | Close Window