Print Page | Close Window

PR Card Renewal - URGENT

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Preserving Permanent Residence Status
Forum Description: How long can a permanent resident remain outside of Canada? Commentaries on preserving permanent residence.
Printed Date: 23 Oct 2020 at 6:24pm

Topic: PR Card Renewal - URGENT
Posted By: nit_67
Subject: PR Card Renewal - URGENT
Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 3:09pm

I hv sent PR card renewal application in Jan 10 and my PR card has been approved ( as per online message ) on April 8, 2010 and they have mentioned that I will get it within 4 weeks but 6 weeks has passed and no intimation, may I visit PR card office and make ant inquiry beca my PR card will expire on may 31 2010
Please respond urgently : to whom I can contact ?


Posted By: canvis2006
Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 3:12pm
Call CIC 1-888-242-2100 and speak to an agent.

Probably you will receive a letter to pick it up from local office. At that time you will surrender your PR Card and get your new one.

Posted By: Harmonia
Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 3:43pm
Nit -- unless you are planning on travelling in the near future, there is no big problem with the PR renewal taking a little bit longer than you expect.  Don't sweat it. 

Citizenship App Sent: December 2012

Posted By: nit_67
Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 3:28pm
Thanks a lot but I may hv to go out of country for 2-3 days before 30th May 2010 and when I called that number they told me that process is delayed by 15 days

Posted By: Harmonia
Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 3:45pm

Wow - that's cutting it tight... you're leaving soon.

Maybe you can get an emergency travel document?
Collect all evidence of your application for PR card renewal and bring it with you - just in case.  I doubt they will give you too much of a problem.  According to the OP manuals, when you return to Canada, you are seen as permanent resident, and even if you are past the renewal point on your PR (and if they want to be jerks) they still should let you back into the country based on your intent to file an appeal.
I doubt that you'll get hassled.  Your proof (including CIC's letter) should be enough.
Did you call the call center?

Citizenship App Sent: December 2012

Posted By: Harmonia
Date Posted: 27 May 2010 at 3:48pm
Note - 'your intent to file an appeal' as mentioned in the previous post is only if:
1. the border dudes are jerks and hassle you
2. they challenge your PR status
In which case there is a form that you need to fill out (they will have it) showing that you intend to appeal their decision.  Which you would - because it's a bad decision made on their part.
The manuals state that you have the right, as a PR with an impending appeal, to enter Canada.
Once home, you can sort it out....
Again - I seriously doubt that it would ever ccome to this, esp if you bring all your proof of PR card renewal (and also bring your proof of meeting the residency obligations).

Citizenship App Sent: December 2012

Posted By: Beaver
Date Posted: 28 May 2010 at 10:09am
though it's not nit's fault he hadn't been issued the new card yet despite the fair amount of time prepared between the renewal process and the foreign trip, the big question here is what will happen on his return to Canada. 

I really doubt a letter and application form will be a convincing proof that nit's a PR in good standing. Anybody could just do that. It's always been pointed out by CIC or CBSA that a PR card or a travel document are important pieces of documents to return to Canada. Also we should not forget that the fight isn't at the Canadian Port of Entry but during the boarding process at the Point of Origin. Airline officials can refuse passengers carriage if they do not show documents of their status to Canada.


Posted By: dpenabill
Date Posted: 28 May 2010 at 4:42pm

Not having a valid PR card has no bearing at all on one's status as a PR. That is worth repeating: Not having a valid PR card has no bearing at all on one's status as a PR, NONE.

Anyone who has PR status cannot be denied entry into Canada except for criminal inadmissibility. Even a PR who has breached the residency requirement must be allowed entry. (See more below.)

Traveling abroad without a valid PR card in possession really raises just one issue: Boarding commercial transportation destined for Canada. No valid PR card, and not otherwise visa-exempt, you will need a TD issued through a Canadian Embassy abroad. See elaboration below.

Elaborating --

-- For someone approaching a Canadian POE without a valid PR card who has problems relative to the residency requirement:
The PR must be allowed entry even if they do not immediately decide to appeal the removal order issued at the POE upon their attempt to obtain entry -- you have thirty days in which to appeal, and during those 30 days you must be allowed into Canada (as I understand it, they will put a lot of pressure on such a person to agree to the removal order and voluntarily surrender PR status but one can insist on being allowed to go on their way, and continue to enter Canada). Once one has made an appeal, they are allowed to remain in Canada pending the final disposition of that appeal -- can take a long time -- but that time in Canada will NOT count toward meeting the residency requirement.

-- A PR who approaches a Canadian POE without a valid PR card is very, very likely to be interviewed in depth regarding the residency requirement – anyone anticipating this circumstance should have at hand (not in baggage) substantial documentary evidence of their compliance with the residency requirement.

-- Anyone applying for TD at a Canadian embassy abroad (which a PR without a valid PR card, and not otherwise visa-exempt, will need to do in order to board an airplane destined for Canada) will also have to prove compliance with the residency requirement. Be sure to take along substantial documentary evidence of compliance if you anticipate having to apply for a TD while abroad.

-- A PR attempting to enter Canada at a POE without a valid PR card can also expect to be examined very closely as to identity and status; again, a valid PR card is not necessary but the PR will need to present convincing proof of identity and some proof of status (the latter should be more or less a formality once identity is establish – the CBSA databases should confirm PR status); minimum documentation one should have in hand is their passport, their expired PR card and one additional government issued ID with photo -- also recommend having, in hand, another government issued ID, and at least a copy of their original landing papers (such as the CoPR – original may be kept in a safe deposit box). As mentioned in previous note, in this circumstance substantial documentation evidencing compliance with the residency requirement is also highly recommended.

Final note re residency requirement: Remember, it runs from the date in question, during the five years immediately preceding that day – that day being the day you apply for a TD for example – but, remember, it will continue to roll forward until you actually return to Canada, so it will be as of the date the TD was applied for AND the date you appear at the POE to obtain entry into Canada. . . . would not matter that you met the residency requirement at the time you applied to renew your PR card . . . the critical time period going forward is always the five years immediately preceding the current date.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration

Print Page | Close Window