Print Page | Close Window

Hong Kong

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Family Class Sponsorship
Forum Description: A review of current sponsorship programs (permanent residence) promoting the reunion in Canada of close relatives from abroad.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=265
Printed Date: 20 Apr 2024 at 12:33am

Topic: Hong Kong
Posted By: king125
Subject: Hong Kong
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 1:12pm
Angry I am so very fed up with this. They seem to be in a world of their own. It is close to 9 months now since my wives application was received and all that can say is "that her file is marked to be brought forward on December 21, 2009." That will be past nine months and her medicial will expire by then and so will her police clearance. So delay and delays.Cry

Replies:
Posted By: IslandGirl
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 2:28am
You are just past minimum processing times for HK
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp#asia
8-14 months and this is from the time HK gets the file, not from when you sent it in or from when CIC-M opened it

Originally posted by king125 king125 wrote:

Angry I am so very fed up with this. They seem to be in a world of their own. It is close to 9 months now since my wives application was received and all that can say is "that her file is marked to be brought forward on December 21, 2009." That will be past nine months and her medicial will expire by then and so will her police clearance. So delay and delays.Cry

-------------
Used to be known here as "feb7" - there's no doubt to my gender this way
http://tinyurl.com/ydsvlx4 - My previous profile

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 9:17am

I got fed up and did a "Case Specific Enquiry" and my wife received an email saying  "Your application is in our interview queue. We'll contact you in writing once an interview date is set." I wonder how long that will take. I am sure it will be in 6 weeks after she recieves the letter, but how long until they send her the letter?

Posted By: chipsfan7mary4
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 12:36pm
My wife was the only one from the previous Hong Kong Thread to have an interview in Hong Kong.  You are right, the time from the interview request to the interview was about 6 weeks.  At the time we went through Hong Kong it wasn't as busy and slow as now.  I found out about the interview time on October 6, 2008. I ordered my last CAIPS on September 8, 2008 and got them on October 21, 2008.   My CAIPS said there was a bring forward date of Sept 17, 2008.  So that being the case it should be around a month in the queue.  However the CAIPS may have not mentioned the interview queue.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 6:03pm
Chipsfan, makes you wonder why they choose some for interviews. I it because we bother them so much and it is their pay back. I also believe you have a child, as I do. I wonder if they want to make sure our spouse knows about the child and reaction etc.

I just dont understand their reasoning at all

Posted By: mitang
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2009 at 9:53pm
Took me a while to realize they have a new forum. It's cleaner looking.

Yeah, I don't understand how they decide who needs an interview and who doesnt.

Posted By: Liuzhou
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2009 at 2:36pm
Although there may be some IO's who do it out of spite, I would like to think that they are smart enough to realize that interviews add more to their workload.  I'm sure they would prefer to simply "rubber-stamp" every case.  I have seen some posts by people here that were agressive with the Embassy and they didn't get called for an interview. 

I suspect in most cases, an interview is requested if something looks a odd.    They no doubt see a lot of fake applications being submitted (hence the 48% rejection rate for 2008), so any real application that has a fake flavor to it, they probably request the interview simply to put to rest any doubts they have about the case.

Guilty until proven innocent..

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2009 at 4:32pm
I still will never know why my wife was called for an interview, which lasted 10 minutes.  I was angry at first because I felt we were being called liars.  As time went on the anger turned to motivation to prove them wrong.  In the end it was for the best as we got all her life together and she came home with me.  It sure would be cheaper than a lawyer for an appeal.  Perhaps random chance or just wanted to see for himself.

Posted By: Mr_with_his_Mrs
Date Posted: 22 Dec 2009 at 12:05pm
I think they have a list of criteria that they use to determine who gets called.  I have noticed that it actually tends to be regionally specific.

For example, if your spouse comes from a big city and a middle class family, you are probably not going to get called for an interview.  If your spouse is from a village and is quite poor, there is probably going to be scrutiny.  It is not right, but it is what they do.

I am sure the hit list includes age, economic background, educational similarity, etc. 

I have also noticed (via canlii.org) that the overwhelming number of interviews and rejections are between chinese/chinese pairings as opposed to caucasian/chinese pairings. 

It is a mystery.  It also could be that whoever sets the policy for the immigration section at HK is just a dick as well. I don't know.  It does remain however one of the longest waits and has the highest rejection rate in the entire world, even higher than Africa.Dead

This has always puzzled me as Southern China is acutally quite affluent compared to the other parts and the BeiJing embassy is a rocket.

All of the speculation tends to disappear after your spouse lands though.  Keep in mind that none of us on this thread have suffered a rejection! Star

It is just a ballbusting wait.  11 months +

-------------
Formerly Mr_without_his_Mrs

Posted By: mitang
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 12:26am
Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year!

Posted By: Rhonald
Date Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 2:04pm
Xīn Nián Kuài Lè  and hopefully this new year brings more sucesses for all here.Thumbs Up

Posted By: westcoast1990
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 1:45pm
Happy New Year, all...hope 2010 brings peace, happiness and reunification to all!

It seems that the process has to be a long wait as it is possibly due to the fact that CIC HK does not have much in terms of resources compared to CIC BJ. I had contacted my MP's Constituency Office in November (taking the cue from another poster to take this approach) and this was the explanation from them. 

Waiting is a tough thing to do...however, it's better than receiving a letter stating that your application was refused at the early stages...in any case, the wait is the result of CIC HK receiving a whole lot of applications, which does take time to get through them; sifting through loads of information and trying to figure out which case is the real thing and which is not. 

The process used to be smoother and more straight-forward. But not anymore. We have to deal with the consequences of those who, out of selfishness and greed, abused and negatively impacted the system. There was little choice but to deal with the problem in the way that is legal...through implementation of policies that respond to this problem. In our collective experience with policies, this usually results in a more tougher and, hence painfully slower, process. 

We have to endure what appears to be a prolonged wait and heartache for your loved one...being apart like this is a very tough thing to experience...however, in my idealistic heart, I see it in this way: this test of time only serves to strengthen and affirm the love between you and your loved one...and we will wait, as it is founded in the bond that exists between spouses. That makes the whole world of difference.  

Posted By: westcoast1990
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 1:26am
By the way, good news...we just received the letter asking for my wife's passport for the visa. The waiting period is over. Hope I see the same happen for everyone with applications with CIC HK.

Posted By: Mrs.is_Here
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2010 at 4:15pm
Hey King. It's formerly Miss my Mrs. here.
Don't be frustrated at the bring forward thing. It's a good sign. My wife got her letter to pu the visa 2 days after her bring forward date. So maybe some good news will come of it.
It's nice to see you all here again. Just an update on us. My wife is here and settling in quite nicely. She's totally taken over my apartment, my bathroom looks like a pink volcano has erupted in it. She's having a wonderful time being the tourist and learning how to navigate here in vancouver.

Hope 2010 brings great news for everyone who still needs it.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 9:06am
They bring foward a file every two months, is that correct? They brought her file foward on December 21st and still have not heard anything except the MP's office said she was in the queue for an interview and her file was being brought foward on December 21st 2009.
And as I understand it, they bring foward a file each 2 months to make sure it is not just put aside and forgotten

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 9:23am

Does any know what this means? We recieved a letter in December after my last inquiry, saying she was in an interview queue and have not heard anythng since. I contacted my MP again and this is the reply.

"Hello Rob:

CIC contacted me this a.m. (Feb. 2nd , 2010) and said that on December 14th Su Quing  case has now in interview que.

It will be brought forward to a unit – on March 4th.

They cannot tell us when the interview will be, so keep close contact with Su .

She has received by letter the same information that I am telling you now.

If she is approved at the interview, she will have move forward with police clearance and medicals.

There won’t be any further updates until after March 4th, 2010 they say.

Faith"

Does this mean they will give her an interview date on March 4th or just going to the interview unit?

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 10:15am
Chances are that they will not schedule the interview until after March 4, 2010.  I had a bring forward on the last CAIPS I received.  There was no word of an interview, however we did get an interview request not much after the bring forward date.  I do not remember dates now, but I remember it pissed me off that an interview request was place not much after I got the CAIPS and the bring forward date.  Generally a file will not be touched until the bring forward date.  Also we got the visa the same day as the interview which also points to them not doing anything until after the bring forward date.  You never know though, a VO could have the power to do what they want.  If you expect and interview in March, your wife should be getting a letter in the next couple weeks as they normally give 4-6 weeks advance notice to mainland Chinese so they can get the required travel documents.  It is close now!!

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 11:02am
Yeah, she had a bring foward date also on December 21st 2009, this is crazy and gettng worse in the waiting times.
Maybe they reached their quota for this year and have to wait for the new session of  Parliament in March to open the gates again.  Just seems funny to me it one day after the new session begins.
Of course it could also drive you mad trying to figure out their reasoning!

Posted By: Mrs.is_Here
Date Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 2:32pm
You could always try a very angry letter to the minister of immigration and send a copy to the HK office. That's what i did.

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2010 at 3:42pm
That might work or it might piss them off.  I think it would be okay if you had a strong case and it was just waiting to be reviewed.  If you have a weak case it may cause problems.  No matter what though, no one likes having someone complain about how there doing there job and telling the 'boss'.  My CAIPS request irritated my VO and he told me.  It is so hard to say.  If you are already scheduled for an interview it may not even help and may hinder.  Who knows?  I would wait because I believe that MR without his Mrs and Mrs is here did not have any information let alone an interview request pending.  Good luck!

Date Posted: 03 Feb 2010 at 8:20am

I know CIC does not like to be bothered. They do not like it when you order CAISP’s etc. If they would put more information on the web sites like brought forward, medical received, reviewed, etc instead of just "in process"they probably would not get so many requests. From people I have spoken to online, most of the spouses waiting are more concerned that the file is lying in a drawer some place forgotten because of lack of information.

Posted By: ebrenchley
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 7:26pm
Just got word from my MP after a request for case information: Hong Kong told them not to even start asking until after 14 months (they seem to think this is some sort of minimum now). 9 months and counting on one of the easiest cases they'll have to process ... good job Hong Kong!

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 10:55pm

Just over 8 months for us and I have a feeling it will be longer then 14 months now for us. Welcome to the 80% club done in 14 months where patience is a premium.Unhappy

Posted By: tupa01
Date Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 11:33pm
It looks like for Hong Kong, it's better to apply inland.

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 11:27am
If you happen to be a Hong Kong resident and can enter Canada visa free.  For the mainlanders going through HK, it is not possible to apply inland. 

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 8:22am
LOL
Seems to be a game now

We did receive this on Feb 2nd 2010.
"Hello Rob:
CIC contacted me this a.m. (Feb. 2nd , 2010) and said that on December 14th Su's  case has now in interview que.
It will be brought forward to a unit – on March 4th.

They cannot tell us when the interview will be, so keep close contact with Su .

She has received by letter the same information that I am telling you now.

If she is approved at the interview, she will have move forward with police clearance and medicals.

There won’t be any further updates until after March 4th, 2010 they say."

So now it is about 3 weeks since March 4th 2010 and stil have not heard a bloody thing from Hong Kong

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:16am
Hey, I just found the results of the aduit done on Hong Kong

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/audit/hong_kong.asp - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/audit/hong_kong.asp
Seems intresting and explains some of the delays which includes renovations, increase in applications, fraud
etc

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 10:13pm
Thanks for the update Rob. I guess you are at about 12 months since HK recieved your documents? We are at 9 months now with no word.

Was the note from Hong Kong sent to you by email, or did you get a letter from them? Also have you checked your status on line at CIC to see if there has been any change in status there? I still keep seeing no change for us. And if you haven't heard anything until now, then I guess I still have another 3 to 5 months to wait.

That is why I decided to book another trip to Shenzhen and I will see my tietie on March 31. Was last October when last we were together.Heart

Oh Rob - my wife asks if for you guys if there are any children involved for the visa? For us she has a 15 year old boy.

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 12:33pm
A FINE REASON FOR YOUR SPOUSE TO APPLY FOR CDN CITIZENSHIP:

Arranged a nice little weekend trip from China to Bangkok recently. If you don't know, Thailand is one of a few countries with a visa-on-arrival policy with China. We go to check in and find out that China has a problem with my wife leaving. Straight from their (immigration's) mouth: "We cannot allow you to leave because you have just renewed your passport. It is blank and has no visas." We said we knew that and were going to get a visa in Thailand as per the apparent agreement China has with Thailand. No dice. It's apparently policy in China not to allow citizens with empty (renewed) passports travel if they are going to a visa-on-arrival country. 

Now, I've lived here for over 4 years and have heard my fare share of nonsense, but I'm usually able to laugh it off. It's rare that said nonsense ends up costing me $600 ... indeed quite rare. I'm so angry I could spit, and it's going to be one loooong weekend in this fetit dusthole of a country 1.4 billion people call home.

P.S. - 
There are people out there with bigger gripes about China than a lost weekend in Thailand, I know ... but I don't want to acknowledge that right now. Give me a few days to cool off, hahaha.

Date Posted: 02 Apr 2010 at 9:13am
Rhonald, I am sorry for the late reply. The reason we receive any information at all from Hong Kong is because we send a Case Specific Enquiry from the

Hong Kong Canadian visa office's web site  http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/hong-kong.asp - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/hong-kong.asp

ebrenchley, And as for not being able to go to Thailand, most Chinese citizens need to apply for and exit visa before being allowed to leave, even if they are immigrating overseas. My wife and I have already discussed this and she knows it takes about 2 weeks. I remember reading on the old site of a Canadian that had a baby with a Chinese wife. Even though the baby was his, and was documented in the birth papers, the baby still needed to have an exit visa for the baby to leave, even though the baby was recognized as a Canadian Citizen though birth. What made it more confusing is the guy found it strange as Chinese are not allowed to carry dual citizenship.

Posted By: SlySi
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:31pm
King125, Rhonald,

If you have time. Do you mind explaining your timelines?
Iv tried reading over and over your messages. Unfortunatley its a little unclear.

Please and thanks.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 7:55pm
Rhonald, we were married in China, Dec 2008. I applied to bring her to Canada when I returned home and was approved to sponsor her in Feb 2009. On March 18, 2009 they opened her application in Hong Kong. Since then the only feed back we have received was when I sent a Case Specific Enquiry or contacted my MP.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 7:20pm
Sorry King125 - Just arrived back from China today. Already missing her Unhappy

Had a futile attempt at the Canadian consulate in HK were being a Canadian citizen just doesn't matter. I will give details latter on the two unsuccessful trips there.

As for my time line - it is almost identical to yours except add another 2 months to it.

Feb. 12 2009 - Registered marriage
May       2009 - approved as sponsor
June 18 2009 - HK starts processing and the great wait begins.

Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 5:14am
Well, in two weeks, it will be 14 months since Hong Kong received her applicaton and still no word from Hong Kong, just complete silence

Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 12:21pm

King125 I can feel your frustration. I share in your pain as I base my future timeline on your success. Since you hear next to nothing, I expect the same for us. I will share my experience with my futile visit to the Hong Kong consulate.

My plane would leave Hong Kong at 11:45 am on Wednesday April 21st so I knew that I needed to be at the airport no later then 10:00 am. On Monday morning I sent an email to the consulate saying that I would go there on Tuesday afternoon. In my email I stated that I was bringing additional proof of our ongoing relationship such as extra photos, ticket stubs on 3 more visits to China, and a years worth of moneygram receipts. I also said that my main wish, being that I knew the consulate was busy, was to drop off the documents, but if possible I would like to have a quick chat with a VO officer that was processing our case.

Tuesday morning I checked my email and had no reply. I had figured that I would not hear from them. We arrived at the consulate at about 2:00 pm and proceeded to the 12th floor.  The security glass doors into the consulate was closed and manned by a security officer. He would open the doors briefly to let people out. The waiting area in the consulate had about 6 people waiting to see someone. We were not allowed in and through the glass doors had to state our business. When I said that I wished to drop of documents and maybe see someone, I was told that only by mail would they accept the documents. I stated that the website only mentioned applications needed to be mailed and that we already had an application and I had the file number with us. I also said that the website said that temporary visas could be dropped off in person to the secretary so I wished to drop off the additional proof to the secretary as well. He took our passports and inquired to a person behind the counter. He came back and said that the office was only open between 8:00 & 10:00 am. He said that the person behind the counter mentioned that if we came back the next day between 8:00 & 10:00 am and we had filled in a Case Specific Enquiry that maybe someone would see us. He did not promise us but said we could try. We thanked him for his effort and departed to prepare for tomorrow.

Our hotel was not close to the consulate and with my plane leaving that day, we arrived at the consulate at 7:45 with suitcases in tow. The 12th floor was already filled with a line of people waiting for the doors to open. We squeezed in the very back. Once the doors opened, the security officer started screening the people trying to get in. Some people were sent away and those that were allowed accesses had their bags checked. By 8:20 we arrived at the doors. He remembered us and took our passports and Case Specific Enquiry to the same lady behind the counter. After a brief discussion he returned and said that yes we could enter and maybe see a VO officer BUT, while pointing to our luggage, he stated that we could not take them into the consulate nor leave them in the 12th floor elevator lobby. We had to find a place that would hold my suitcases. I understood the security reasoning and we went back down the elevator to find a place to cache the baggage. My wife did not get the jest of the reasoning since on the main floor lobby she asked if they would watch them there. She also suggested the bank that was on the main floor. I tried to explain to her the heightened security now in the world because of 9/11. I said that maybe a hotel would allow us to check in our baggage so we left the building to find a nearby hotel. Across the road was the subway that we took to arrive here. She got excited and suggested that a store in the subway might hold our bags. I allowed her to try by asking but was convinced and correct that they would not take them either. We did find 2 blocks away the Mandarin Oriental Hotel that said the bag check in was for guests only but they would make an exception and took our bags. We got back to the consulate at 8:50 waited in line briefly, and then the security officer waved us forward checked my wife’s purse and let us in. He gave us a ticket and said to wait for our number to be called. By 9:20 I was getting worried because I still needed to get to the airport. My wife called over another security officer and showed my flight itinerary to her. She took the itinerary and showed it to the same lady behind the counter. The lady called us up and asked what we wanted. I would not be able to see a VO officer anymore so I asked if at least that I could drop of the extra documents of proof for our case file. She said that only by mail would they accept the documents. I mentioned, once again, that the website said that temporary visa applications and courier deliveries were accept in person so I was hopping to do the same. My rational was that delivering in person would be additional proof of the seriousness of our commitment. How many other Canadian sponsors take the time out to make an appearance? But my attempt at persuasion fell on deaf ears. Only by mail would they accept the additional proof. So poof – my hopes were dashed as I needed to dash back to the hotel, gather my bags, and depart for the airport.

I wonder if I had the extra time weather I would have gotten the chance to speak with a VO officer. Now I will never know. I hope that at least they remember that we had been there and when we mail in the additional proof I will make a copy of this posting for even an additional proof. I like to thank the security officer (I should have gotten his name) because he did try for us, but for the secretary – I can understand a policy set in place to discourage the locals from hounding their office, but how often does a Canadian, which I might add pays their salary, show up to be assisted. I sure hope I get better service if ever left stranded overseas, but alas I feel that the Canadian government abroad is meek in deed.

Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 3:47pm
I had a good experience when I went to the Embassy with my wife for her interview.  Of course she was scheduled for it but the guard was friendly and a little surprised to see me.  The Canadian sponsor rarely goes to the interview or to the Embassy. 

I have to say that I am impressed with the patience you guys are having.  The Beijing guys get there cases processed in 3 months or so.  It is totally unacceptable.  I guess my wife and I waiting for 8 months was nothing.  Keep up the hope and it will all be over soon.  Good luck and keep posting the updates.

Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 3:59pm
Im also impressed with the patience you 2 have.
Thats ridiculously long.

Did either of you recieve a letter about an interview being needed?

-------------
June.1/09 (Married)
Aug.21/09 (CIC Received)
Oct.6/10 (Dec 7 Interview)
Dec.7/10 (Interview Passed)
March.9/11 (Couriered Passport to HK)
March.29/11 (Decision Made)
March.30/11 (Passport Rtnd)

Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 4:16pm
I am the only one I think who has ever had an interview.  I got the update on ECAS.  It had a date for the interview.  My wife got a letter 3 weeks later with the same date.  This is different then now.  There wasn't a 120 day wait time to set the date for the interview.  It was just set and we had to go.  We had to show up on the date requested and take a number and wait for our turn.

Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 4:44pm
Thanks for the quick response chipsfan7mary4,

But, I was referring to Rhonald and King125.
Its been 14 months, and zero responses. Not even a letter to possible interview?

-------------
June.1/09 (Married)
Aug.21/09 (CIC Received)

Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 5:22pm
King is at 14 months and I am at 10.5 months. Ecas has not shown any changes and based on what King125 gets - he has done a request see page 2 on this blog - I figured 14 months before I can send in a request. I went to the consulate with the hopes of getting an update. Instead of rushing those last few hours, I should have spent the time with my wife enjoying a nice quiet brunch. I would have left Hong Kong on a high note instead of B...eing Flat Unhappy

Yes when I read how fast the Beijing thread is, it gets frustrating. Good fortune for them but what an ordeal for us here.

When I was over in October for our official wedding celebration (registered our marriage on Feb 12), my wife did have an interview with the Shenzhen police. She thought this meant that our visa would be quickly done. I do not know if the Canadian consulate requested the interview or the Mainland Chinese government requested it. I think now that the reason for the interview was to clear up her background information. On her visa application she has her biological parents listed - both are still alive. But she was raised by foster parents in northern China - both have died. Her foster mother was her auntie via her father's side. SO I worry that this is one reason for our delay.

Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 5:49pm
My wife was also raised by adopted parents.  Her real parents wanted to get rid of her.  Her Grandma said no and gave her to her biological uncle.  Her adopted parents could not adopt her legally as they had 2 boys already.  So she lived with her adopted parents for 18 years and her legal parents were living a few hours away.  She still talks to her four parents.  We had worried about this as well.  We just told the truth about her situation and all was good.  She did not have an interview with any government of China agency per se.  She did have to confirm who here legal parents were.  She also did not have a birth certificate and my family and I call her by her biological birth name and not her id card and passport legal name.  Very confusing and crazy.  We did not have any problems with these things I think.

Date Posted: 17 May 2010 at 4:56pm
King125 have you had any updates yet? I think this whole thing about wife is in the queue for an interview is just there default response to a CIC inquiry. You should have already been scheduled.

Tomorrow for us will be 11 months since HK started processing our case and also for us - still no news. Sometimes - No News is Bad News Ermm  as time slips on by.

Date Posted: 20 May 2010 at 6:39pm
Rhonald
No updates as of yet
14 months, 2 days and counting
if you look at Beijing's times line they are averaging 3 months from the time Beijing gets the file until they send the visa
seems sort of stupid. it is all China just diferent areas
Hong Kong has went from one of the fastest to one of the slowest with in a year

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:45pm
I share your frustration 125king - although a couple of months behind. I keep my hopes up to hear good news for you because then I feel my wife and I are close to hearing news.

Hopefully soon we can both raise our glasses in good cheers. Beer

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 11:55pm
FILE UNDER REVIEW

Is this standard terminology in Hong Kong? Just got a small update from the High Commission, and it said this:

"File is under review as to the authenticity of submitted documents. We expect the review to be completed shortly and will communicate with the applicant in due course.”

Does this mean the file is under review as part of the standard application process (one of the standard stages on the way to approval), or is the file specifically under review because they have a specific problem with the authenticity of our submitted documents?

Anybody have an angle on this perhaps?

Thanks!

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 10:05am
It has been awhile since I have dealt with immigration, but when my wife and other who were on the board before were going through the process not one had any contact other than interview request or passport request.  I remember other Chinese boards having people getting contacted for more documents.  However this is the first time I have heard this particular type of update.  My guess would that they have some questions about the submitted documents and are going to double check things.  Hong Kong never communicates unless they want something.  I know that when I ordered my CAIPS it said that our documents were good.  I know they review them but I do not think they communicate unless they have concerns.  I could be way off on this because it has be almost 2 years since my wife arrived.  I guess you could send a case specific inquiry or just wait for the answer.

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 12:07am
Yes, I think waiting is just the way to go here. The update came at the behest of my MP ... this wasn't just something they offered up, by the way (voluntary update is not in HK's vocabulary.)

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:14pm
Hey Chips! How is your wife doing?  My wife is still chugging along with her English.  She already has a college diploma in graphic design (china), but she wants to go back to school to study accounting.  So she is studying to prepare for AEPUCE(Academic English Program for University and College Entrance). 

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:33pm
Hey!  My wife is doing great.  She has a fulltime job with YMCA child care.  We just got a new place and are looking forward to starting a famliy.  She will go back to school part time to work towards an office assistant program of some sort as she does not want to work in child care anymore.  She still feels cold all the time in good ol' Edmonton.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 1:21pm
Hello neighbour Chipsfan7mary4 - Yes I wonder how my wife and her son will handle Calgary weather. She did grow up in Northern China but for the last 20 years she has lived in Shenzhen. We are hoping that when she arrives she can start some part-time work teaching the Zither since this is what she does in China.

In 10 more days it will be 12 months since Hong Kong recieved our documents. I wonder when we will hear good news from King125 because then I can start hoping to hear news for us as well.

Date Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 7:19am
11 months ... and still waiting. Dear god, what an unnecessarily slow process. I'll tell you what: I've gained an appreciation for HK's anti-fraud measures. All I can say is, for all this bullsh*t, they'd better work!

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 11:15am
What can I say...but keep the Faith ebrenchley Beer

Today marks our 1 year aniversary since Hong Kong started Yan's file Party

I guess neither of us are in the 50% done before 12 months group. I wonder if King125 has finally recieved any news since he must be at the 15 month stage.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 9:25pm
yes, today is 15 months and not a word or hint of what is happening

Posted By: dan2010
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 9:06am
I think a personal inquiry (if allowed in hk) is acceptable if the application has gone past the stated processing time for such country. Just an opinion

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 7:42pm
Just received a letter in the mail...progress yes...not a denial so some what good news.

But apparently I have to provide a RCMP certificate listing all charges and convictions I have had. The certificate must be accompanied by a written explanation of the circumstances of each conviction or charge. I have 90 days to send this certificate.

Except for a speeding ticket and an illegal left hand turn - and last I checked this was not criminal that has been my only brush with the stiff arm of the law.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 7:48pm
First time I ever heard of that
I have been waiting over 18 months and have never seen a letter of his type and I haven't heard of  anyone else getng one either

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Rhonald Rhonald wrote:

Just received a letter in the mail...progress yes...not a denial so some what good news.

But apparently I have to provide a RCMP certificate listing all charges and convictions I have had. The certificate must be accompanied by a written explanation of the circumstances of each conviction or charge. I have 90 days to send this certificate.

Except for a speeding ticket and an illegal left hand turn - and last I checked this was not criminal that has been my only brush with the stiff arm of the law.

Very interesting....
Such an awkward request.

-------------
June.1/09 (Married)
Aug.21/09 (CIC Received)

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 9:11pm
Anyways I just got off the phone with the RCMP. I am told that instead I have to go to the Corp of Commisoners for this certificate. I phoned the Commisoners and they said the people I need to see will be there tomorrow morning.

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension - a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Hong Kong ZoneConfused

Date Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 1:27am
That is very strange.  In the 4 years I have been reading, searching and watching anything to do with Hong Kong, I have never heard of this.  Even people who are rejected never had there sponsor provide any further information beyond the sponsorship approval.  Perhaps you have the same name as someone who has done bad things.  I know that if the applicant has the same name it can delay things in the background check.  It is strange that they did not ask for fingerprints.  I am totally confused about this as well, not that I am an expert.

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2010 at 1:41pm
Hey all,

Rhonald... I just got the exact same freaking letter!

So, so weird. I like you, haven't a scratch on my criminal record. Also, nothing to suggest that I would have.

How did it go at the Corps de Commissioners? What exactly was needed to get this certificate. I'm freaking out because I'm living abroad with my spouse, waiting to go back to Canada with her.

The wording at the end was rather harsh. Saying that they "intend to reject" the application if I can't send this in 30 days.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2010 at 10:59am
I feel I see a light at the end of the long tunnel called Hong Kong and  Immigration Canada. I  had  very good chat with someone from my MPs office and got this reply

"Hi Rob:

CIC says she should be getting or have gotten an invitation in June for an interview. The interview would not be in June but it would be telling her when the interview would be with the Immigration.  Apparently longer processing times.

They asked me to call back the first week of July. Are you going to be talking to her by phone soon Rob, as I would like to talk to you before you call her. What is your phone no. and what time of day can I reach you by phone.

Faith"

When she said "Apparently longer processing times", all I could think of t say was "NO sh*t"

We had a really good chat by phone and I will give the details at a later date. 

As I have said previously, I thought they did back ground checks before the file was sent to Hong Kong. It makes no sense at all that they will ask for your back ground check after your wives file is opened in Hong Kong. You need to pass all the hoops and hurdles before your wives application is even sent to Hong Kong and you are approved to sponsor. Maybe just a computer glitch or maybe a few files went through with out the proper back ground checks

Who knows but God and Immigration Canada

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 4:30pm
So King125 any word yet on your interview date? I hope the frustration is not eating at you.
I just sent back my Police clearence certificate to Hong Kong so I hope to hear back myself before August ends.

Date Posted: 03 Aug 2010 at 10:42pm
I see the timeline for 80% being completed is now up from 14 months to now 15 months.
Pretty soon the timeline will read 80 % completed when "the land down under the land down " gets an ice age. Confused

In two weeks time it will be 14 months for me so maybe next month I will finally hear some good news.

I haven't heard anything from King125 so I hope all is well with him and his wife. He must have heard about an interview date. I just hope his silence is because he is right now in China.

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 8:47pm
Interview date, september 13th

I need to send my tax forms, as well as a letter from my employeer. Things we sent in before on the application.
She needs to bring her HUKOU as well as other things we sent with the application, as well of proof seh has never been married before me
Marriage papers
etc
we sent it with the application
I guess they want to know we are still married and I am still working and making money

Date Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 9:09pm
When my wife and I went to her interview we had to bring her hukou, her parents hukou, sisters hukou, proof she had never been married, new immigration forms filled out as we has used the old one, my letter of employment, more proof of contact, and her passport.  We had twice as much stuff as we sent in.  The interview as I have said before lasted 10 mins.  We were asked a few questions each.  The VO did not even look at anything.  He was very polite and friendly.  I think they just send out a generic letter and have you bring all this stuff.  If they need to look at something then you will have it.  It was a very stressful time.  If you need anything you can let me know.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 2:01pm
As far as I can tell her VO has been TCW, and they say he is slower than most but higher pass rate.
I just looked at her last letter dated 13th Aug 2009, said will the interview should be 120 days. I guess 120 days are measured different in Hong Kong than Canada.
Maybe they meant 12 months and was a typo

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 9:15pm
Just a quick refresher from you King125 and Chipsfan7mary4 - how many trips did you guys make to see your wives before the interview request? I am hoping that with 5 visits in 15 months that we might not need an interview. I took my son with me on my 2nd trip back in Feb 2009.

I sure wish to make another trip soon as her birthday is in September but I need to save the money just in case we do get an interview date.

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 11:12pm
I went 2 times to visit, the 3rd time I went to marry in 2 years.  My whole family went.  Mom, Dad, bro, 2 aunts, 1 uncle, 2 cousins, and 2 family friends. 

My wife had TCW for her VO.  I am not sure if TCW did the interview, but it he did, he was fair, honest and professional.  The interview we had was pretty simple but we were ready for anything.

I never thought my wife would need an interview with all we submitted, my family going to China, my two visits, money I sent to support and both of our family providing information to support our relationship.  I still feel it was because I ordered CAIPS a few times.  The only thing the VO said that worried me was when he asked who order CAIPS.  He was annoyed with it.  Well who knows.  It was a difficult wait for the 8 months we endured.  That is nothing compared to the 2 of you.   Good gravy it must be tough.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 5:50am
Does anyone have any experience dealing with G. Wallace as their VO?

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 10:11am
He was my wife's VO and did our interview.  He was great and fair.  PM me and I will tell you more.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 1:10pm
The individual you referred to called my house to talk to my dad about my relationship with my wife.  He then asked to talk to me directly to tell me he was granting my wife her visa.  We did not need an interview.  He was polite and direct.  I never got to meet him in person though, he sounded like he was younger, maybe early to mid 30s. 

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2010 at 4:15pm
The request for my RCMP clearence certificate was signed by G. Wallace. I at first thought the signature was just a generic department head manager's name, but I guess this means he is our Visa Officer.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 12:13pm
Mr_with_his_Mrs View Drop Down
 When you finally got her visa to come to Canada, how long was the time period given for her to have to enter Canada? I wish to get an idea what grace period is given for us to be able to tie up lose ends in China. She does teach and sometimes to get paid she has a contract for certain time periods. Thanks

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 12:54pm
The Visa will expire when the medical expires or when the passport expires.  It usually one year from the last medical.  However it may not be a year if your was awhilfe.  For example if your medical expires on Nov 25, 2010 (a year from Nov 25, 2009) and you get the visa on Oct 25, 2010 you have one month. I have found most of the time you have a few months.  My wife got her visa on Nov 16, 2008 and she had until Jan 2009 to use it.  It was about two months to get out of China.  She went through Hong Kong much quicker than now.  If the medical is close to expiring and the visa will be issued soon, they will ask for a new medical.  The PR visa will not be extended.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 2:24pm
Thanks Cipsfan7mary4 for the update. Her medical was done last year summertime so I am sure she will be scheduled to do a new one. If we do not get an interview date then I am sure the next news will be for a redo of her medicals. We are at 14 months since Hong Kong recieved her documents and the last news we got was back in June when I was told to send in my RCMP clearence certificate. Now two months later we are hoping to hear some new news.

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 4:57pm

I am pretty sure they will ask for a new medical once they look at her file again.  Also I would think they would also set a interview date at this time, that is if a interview would even be needed.  So if they looked at it in June, the medical was probably still okay.  I do not know why they would not have asked for a new one at that time, especially if the medical was going to expire.  Chances are that they expect to get the RCMP back, add it to the file, review it and ask for an interview and/or medical redo.  Of course I am just speculating. 

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 9:35pm
Well they have now had the RCMP certificate for 3 weeks, hence my anticapation for some news in the next couple of weeks. My wife on QQ has bugged me again to book some tickets to come in October. I wish to but it would be prudent to wait for further news on the slow as molasses front.
I am on QQ with her right now - dam she looks fine that dame of mine. Yes I want to go soonEmbarrassed

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:49pm
They just recently sent us a letter requesting that she perform another medical check. The letter came a month after her first one expired. There were no further requests or information like interview dates or whatnot. Just the medical check request. Could just be my case though. I'm currently waiting for Ottawa to finish my 4-month long police check. Rhonald, keep your head up and consider yourself extremely lucky you didn't have to wait 4 months for your check like I'm doing right now. Hopefully it'll pay off for you!

Good Luck,

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 1:41pm
Getting a medical check redo request, from what I have seen, is a good sign.  Of course this is not a certainty, but over the years I have seen very few people denied after a medical request has been asked for.  I still do not understand the police check for the sponsor, unless they are making sure you will not smuggle you wife into Canada and sell her or beat her.  I just do not get it. 

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 5:00pm
I still think it is a way for Hong Kong to buy some time with the RCMP check. Just look at what ebrenchley has to endure... jeess another 4 months.... seems to me that that is criminal.Unhappy

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 12:47am
Now I am getting a little worried - Ebrenchley got another medical redo request after his wife's expired after a year. You are 1 month behind me in Hong Kong processing, and still my wife, whose medical has also expired, has not heard a word. Well Sept 18 will be 15 months for us and then, I guess I am entitled to submit a case enquiry where I am finally entitled to a response.

15 months to wait for an entitlement Confused

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 12:56am
Well I decided to send an enquiry anyways about no new medical requests. I see from the Hong Kong web site that I can expect a response withen 28 days Disapprove What another month!

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 8:41am
I wouldn't worry too much, Rhonald. Our request didn't come exactly one year after. There was a bit of a lag. Each case is a bit different. I've heard that they sometimes ask for the new check just before they're ready to grant the visa.

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 11:01pm
Well I was practicing the Happy Birthday song on youtube in Mandarin and just finished singing it to my wife. Now what would be a special Birthday gift is if she recieved some positive visa news - then that would be priceless Clap

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 9:45pm
Well I just checked CIC and my wife has an interview scheduled for November 2nd. Better start practicing 21 questions Sleepy

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 11:06pm
That is good to hear that you have news.  I was shocked and pissed off when I found out about my wife's interview.  After all the info I submitted....After the anger wore off we were determined to show our love.  We gathered twice as much supporting docs as we submitted and work very hard on a bunch of interview questions we got of a Chinese web site.  As I have said our interview last about 10 mins.  I believe the VO wanted to see if I would come and look at us face to face just to make 100% sure.  If you need anything let me know and I can dig up the old stuff.  My wife got the visa the same day, November 18, 2008.   Came home with me.  Good luck and do not worry, being in person will make assure the VO your wife deserves her visa and you deserve to be together.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 11:30pm
Hey Rhonald, congrats man! Let us know how it goes ... 

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 2:13am
Yes Chips I have always remembered your interview and I planned to emulate by bringing a suitcase of proof. Hum....maybe I will bring the VO officer a home made pudding as well. Then I can tell him that the proof is in the pudding Tongue  In our case I am sure she will not get the visa same day because her medical has expired by know - 15 months ago so I am sure it will be another medical first followed by the passport request. So I am looking at sometime in January before all is ready for her to come to Canada.
Anyways - thanks Chips and ebrenchley for the positive words. In 6 more days will be Kings interview so lets hope joy for all of us and good news for ebrenchley as well Beer

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 10:33am
I believe an interview is a good thing, or at least an excuse to go see your wife and support her.  From what I have heard from Chinese people my wife knows and people who know people, the grapevine, that Hong Kong is pretty much interviewing every mainlander going through there now.  My wife had one, mr with his mrs kind of had one, and I met a man in the embassy who had one.  It was pretty standard back then.  Now moreso.  All I can say is be honest, be proud, be confident.  Those things will show when you meet the VO.  I hope you will go Rhonald.  It will make a huge difference.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 2:30pm
Sorry I have been quiet and not saying much. I 'll fill you in later. I will tell you my wife is superstitious and gets it from her mom. She says if we say to much, will bring bad luck.
She even got upset when I told my co workers of her up comming interview. She said never say anything until after it is over. Her mom did not even want her to tell her head master, but she said she had to, to be able to get the time off.

And as for interviews, have not heard of to many people being turned away. MY wife has 2 people she knows of, that went for interviews and were both approved. Were chinese marrying chinese.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 3:38pm
Well I can do one better literallySmile.  I know of three people who were approved after interview at Hong Kong.  The man I met, it took his application 14 months, a woman my wife met and helped out at the Vancouver airport becasue she did not speak a word of English and could not even read Chinese.  She married a Canuk and they still let her come to Canada.  It took her 2 years though. 

I understand about Chinese supertiousness.  My wife is the same.  Talking about things brings bad luck.  Very crazy, but hey it is what it is! 

To be a bit more serious though, our translator said that a little more than half of the people interviewed are denied after the interview.  In fact when we were there the was one person turned away and another who could not even do the interview because she did not have a translator.  She was so upset and had to be escorted out.  I am unsure of the types of relationships that get turned down, but I would assume a number of them are a little fake and the interview exposes things.  It is easy to throw a bunch of 'nice and real looking' info in a box and send it.  However you can not lie or bs through an interview unless you are extremley diligent in studtying the fabricated life that was created. 

That being said I do not know of anyone personally or through and of the Chinese I know or have met through my wife that were denied in Hong Kong or Bejing.  I know there has to be many rejected in Hong Kong as more than half are denied, or half of the mainlanders.  I have never ever heard of a Hong Kong resident being denied.  Everyone on this thread and on the old thread was approved interview or not.  That is a great thing.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:46am
Yeah, and you know what, Rhonald? Just get your wife to do the medical check and have it sent to HK before you arrive. Don't wait for them to ask. You'll need to get it done anyways, and there's a much better chance of you getting the visa on the day of if your interview goes well. 

-------------
6/2009 Sent file to Miss. CIC
8/2009 Processing in HK
6/2010 RCMP check
8/2010 2nd med. check
10/2010 2nd set of fingerprints for RCMP
5/2011 PPR
May 26/2011 - Visa in HAND!

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 10:55am
Good idea ebrenchley, I was also thinking of this idea.

Does anyone know if the request for a new medical is accompanied by a cover letter that gets submitted with the new medical? If I remember correctly all medicals first get sent to Beijing then Beijing forwards to Hong Kong. But it is worth a shot to get a new medical. I wonder if a new police request gets asked as well. Don't they expire after a year too?

Also, does anyone know if interview are scheduled all day, mornings, or afternoons, or is the letter that is sent has an interview time posted?

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 11:10am
The police check is good for 6 months I believe.  Interviews were and I think still are first come fisrt serve.  We went in to the embassy after getting checked at the door.  We went up to a window took a number and sat down and waited.  There are a number of small inteview offices.  A number is displayed of the office and a little noise is heard.  You then go to the office.  I did not think it was in numerical order.  Just take a number and wait.  The interviews are in the morning only.  The afternoon is reserved for getting the visas.  So it is very important to get there early.  I think we went an hour early based on the translators advice and the little foyer in front of the embassy was ove half full.  The emabssy is on the 12th floor of an office building.  YOu will get a letter or email asking for a new medical.  I am not sure if you need that document they send when you go to the medical.  Police check is easier to get as you do not need a designated person.  Getting a police cheqe would be a great idea.  A new medical is a little more risky.  Hong Kong is different that other embassies.  It is very strict and anal.

Posted By: qkit
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2010 at 11:40pm
Hi all, I'm residing in HK and would like to sponsor my wife; from the application instruction, it says applying sponsor to spouse outside from Canada is faster than inside Canada.  For my case, I also need to send our application form (sponsorship and immgrant application) to CPC-M from HK right? or need to send to HK Visa office.  I'm abit confuse that.
Thanks

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 12:16am
Welcome to the thread.  If your wife is a Hong Kong citizen things will go very quickly, much quicker than if she moved to Canada to be with you and you applied inland.  If your wife is a mainlander you are looking at a long wait and would not even have the option of applying inland as it would be next near to impossible to get your wife into Canada due to the fact that she needs a visitor visa.  You both need to living in Canada to apply inland.  What you would need to to is to apply and send your info to CPC-M.  It takes 40-45 days to be approved there and it is on to Hong Kong.  My wife took 8 months 2 years ago and she is a mainlander.  Now as you may have read mainlanders have been waiting over 15 months.  I have not seen a HK resident for awhile, the few that were around awhile ago waited only a few months to get a visa.  All this being said.  You will need to show and prove that you intend to live in Canada with your wife once the application is approved.  You will need to submit a job offer, a rental document, or some other proof to intend to return to Canada to live.  I am not too knowledgeable about that.  I do know you will have to prove it.  Good luck.

Posted By: qkit
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 5:41am
Thanks...mmh...need to think how to prove the intention...

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 12:45am
Just to let you know, SuQing passed her interview and of course she is happy and excited.

I'll give more details later

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 1:15am
Good to hear!  I am so happy for you two.  The nightmare is almost over!  It is pretty much a certainty she will come to Canada soon.  99%!!!  

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 5:38am
One thing bothers me, they said your medical has expired, so will send you a redo in the mail. She asked if she could not have one from them there and they said no, has to be sent.
But she also asked if she will be here for christmas and the VO said late this year or early next year
No straight answers from them as always

Print Page | Close Window