Print Page | Close Window

PR Renewal

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Preserving Permanent Residence Status
Forum Description: How long can a permanent resident remain outside of Canada? Commentaries on preserving permanent residence.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2493
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 9:22am

Topic: PR Renewal
Posted By: bayedsworld
Subject: PR Renewal
Date Posted: 12 May 2010 at 3:08pm
Hi there,

My question is whether I can renew my PR card before its expiry. I need to know this as I stay out of Canada for long durations.

1. My PR expires in 2013. Suppose I meet the requirement by 2011. Can I apply for renewal in 2011?
2. My big question here is, if I can apply in 2011, will the validity date of 5 years be counted from 2011 or from the actual expiry date which is 2013.

Will appreciate your ideas here.

Replies:
Posted By: Beaver
Date Posted: 12 May 2010 at 4:01pm
I believe anybody could apply for a PR card renewal anytime before the card is expected to expire, as long as there is a valid reason and the time is reasonable. It would only be economically impractical if you apply for renewal 2-3 years before the current one expires. 

Please keep in mind when you apply for a PR card renewal, your permanent residency obligations may be investigated before your new PR card will be approved, or at the least, CIC will ask you to declare your absences from Canada and all your addresses for the last 5 years.CIC will probably just ask you why you are applying for the renewal this early.

On your second question, I am not sure about the answer. It is most likely (and practical) when your next PR card is issued, the date of expiry should reset from the date of issue. If anyone here who has had renewing their PR card, please share. thanks.

Posted By: canvis2006
Date Posted: 12 May 2010 at 11:53pm
You can apply 4-5 months before its expiry as right now the processing time for a renewal of PR Card is 116 days.

Print Page | Close Window