Print Page | Close Window

Kingston, Jamaica applicants

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Family Class Sponsorship
Forum Description: A review of current sponsorship programs (permanent residence) promoting the reunion in Canada of close relatives from abroad.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 7:45am

Topic: Kingston, Jamaica applicants
Posted By: A_Yardie
Subject: Kingston, Jamaica applicants
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 12:25pm
Welcome to the Kingston, Jamaica section of the forum dedicated to Family Class Sponsorships.

Feel free to join, contribute and ask as many questions as you would like.

-------------
Applied Nov 2007, Docs Request Nov 2008, Medical & Proof of Funds Mar 2009, PR Granted Oct 2009, Landed June 2010.

Wishing for a better Jamaica.

Replies:
Posted By: Mrs.Sam
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 4:36pm
Welcome to everyone.

Please keep in mind that this thread is where participants may contribute their experiences and provide opinions in the area of Canadian immigration and settlement in Canada particularily relating to the Kingston Jamaica CIC Office.

I hope your experience on here will be educational and prove to be as rewarding as possible.

I have sponsored my husband from Jamaica beginning January 6, 2009, visited the Canadian High Commission in Jamaica twice, had an interview and will help any and all of those that seek assistance.

I invite all of those to post and track your timelines through www.trackitt.com for accuracy as well.

Date Posted: 29 Nov 2009 at 9:12pm
My husband got the call the drop off his Passport in Kingston and has done so.

Any one got experience with this one?    I was wondering how many working days it took you to get a phone call from Canadian High Commission in Kingston that your Passport was ready to pick up?

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 9:10am
my passport took 12 days to be returned but bear in mind that included 1 Jamaican holiday and 2 fridays on which the chc isnt open to the public.

Originally posted by Mrs.Sam Mrs.Sam wrote:

Any one got experience with this one?    I was wondering how many working days it took you to get a phone call from Canadian High Commission in Kingston that your Passport was ready to pick up?

-------------
Applied Nov 2007, Docs Request Nov 2008, Medical & Proof of Funds Mar 2009, PR Granted Oct 2009, Landed June 2010.

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 9:16am
Thanks A_Yardie, Was that for a PRV or a TRV? Does their time frame differ on those? I don't know if the procedure is the same for a TRV.

We're on 9 working days today (includes Friday's), because although they aren't open to the public.... I like to think that they still work and make phone calls lol

Originally posted by A_Yardie A_Yardie wrote:

my passport took 12 days to be returned but bear in mind that included 1 Jamaican holiday and 2 fridays on which the chc isnt open to the public.

-------------
"Knowledge is Power" Sir Francis Bacon 1597

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 9:45am
that was for a PRV.

i gather that the TRVs have a similar process but am unsure. if i recall corretly, the TRVs take 10 working days to be processed.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 10:58am
Well.... it looks like for us.... it took 9 working days to get the call.... Party "Your documents are ready for you to Pick Up"... he just got the call about 10 minutes ago!!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 3:59pm
congrats...

best wishes and safe travel for yr hubby while he makes his way to his new home.

Well.... it looks like for us.... it took 9 working days to get the call.... Party "Your documents are ready for you to Pick Up"... he just got the call about 10 minutes ago!!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Nov 2009 at 6:42pm
A_Yardie.... a personal question (feel free not to answer if you don't want to). Question If you have a PRV, why are you back in Jamaica? Confused

that was for a PRV.

i gather that the TRVs have a similar process but am unsure. if i recall corretly, the TRVs take 10 working days to be processed.

-------------

Posted By: missingmybaby
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:42am
Sponsor my husband kingston recieved his application one year today and until now he havent get any call went to immigration in kingston last month nov they told us that his papers is with the immigration officer his medical already expired from october until now they haven`t send him a form to redo his medical i want my husband to be home for christmasCryCry i dont know what to do anymore.

-------------
MAHAL

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:45am
easily answered...

there are some personal/family matters that need to be sorted out properly before a full transition is made.

my family and i are fortunate enough not to be in a situation that would have canada being our only or best option and can therefore make a much more gradual transition to what will become our new home.

A_Yardie.... a personal question (feel free not to answer if you don't want to). Question If you have a PRV, why are you back in Jamaica? Confused

that was for a PRV. i gather that the TRVs have a similar process but am unsure. if i recall corretly, the TRVs take 10 working days to be processed.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 8:49am
i'm sorry to hear of yr frustrations. unfortunately, until the chc office sends a request to redo the medical, you will have to continue to endure the wait.

have u tried making contact with them thru their email service?
https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/?app=ecas&lang=en

dont get discouraged, the processing time varies and each case is different.

Originally posted by missingmybaby missingmybaby wrote:

Sponsor my husband kingston recieved his application one year today and until now he havent get any call went to immigration in kingston last month nov they told us that his papers is with the immigration officer his medical already expired from october until now they haven`t send him a form to redo his medical i want my husband to be home for christmasCryCry i dont know what to do anymore.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 10:52am
It certainly is a long, lonely and frustrating journey. But I don't understand why it' been 365 days. 

I'm sorry, but in all likelyhood he won't make it here for another couple of months after the request for the medical redo. Have you considered doing a TRV? It might be wise to do in December.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 3:00pm
My husband was at the Canadian High Commission today and picked up his PRV about an hour ago. The fastest trip yet.  We counted, he's been there 6  times now, and FINALLY this is the last!

I've booked him a plane ticket to leave Jamaica on Friday!!!! YIPPEEEE!!! Party

I'll stick around as time permits as I have met many, many wonderful people here and would like to help them through this long and tedious process.

Here was my timeline :

User: MrsSam Nationality: Canada
Application Filed: 06 Jan 2009 Canadian Visa Office: Kingston, Jamaica
Family Program: Spouses & Partners Medicals Requested:
Medicals Done: 21 Aug 2009 Medicals Sent: 22 Aug 2009
Sponsorship Approved: 22 Jan 2009 AOR Received Date: 10 Mar 2009
File Transferred to Local Consulate: 22 Jan 2009 Initial Assessment Received:
Documents Requested: 13 Apr 2009 Documents Sent: 16 Apr 2009
Interview Date: 15 Sep 2009 Passport Requested: 17 Nov 2009
Application Status: approved Approval/Denial Date: 17 Nov 2009
Passport Received Date: 01 Dec 2009 Landed in Canada:
Landed in City: Toronto Total Processing Time: 315 days
Days Elapsed:
Case Added to Tracker: 06 Nov 2009 Last Updated: 17 minutes ago
Notes: Husband has picked up PPR on Friday, December 1, 2009, flight is booked and he is scheduled to leave the island on Friday, December 4th!!!! YEAH!!!!

-------------

Posted By: job_seeker
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 3:42pm
Congratulations Mrs. Sam. Happy for you.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 3:48pm
Hey, thanks... from the time I submitted the paper work to today it has been 10 months and 25 days.... in Jamaica time lol

Originally posted by job_seeker job_seeker wrote:

Congratulations Mrs. Sam. Happy for you.

-------------

Posted By: jetice
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 5:20pm
my sister Sponsor me ere   brother , sister ,  nieces on mother  from 2001 Kingston received her application 8 year today and my mom  got call to do the medical in 2008 they call her back this year in 2009  telling her medical already expired on not going to make it in time to go to Canada  she have to do it back over they call in July28 she did it back in  November,10  this year   haven get any call from  immigration in Kingston yet,but it was a park-is  far all of as they send as some people in 2008 or 2007 for me on my sister on ere nieces,said in to as that we need to sibmin to us following documents: on we did so they ask for ,original birth certificate for my sis on me on ere nieces,on yourself the my mom ,birth certificate for your sponsor-that my sis who is filing,death certificate for your deceased spouse,completion of the attached from for me on my sister om nieces,      on we send it back in too the high commission it was two set of paper work my mom go the first set on we got the next set of paper who me on my sis on nies

-------------
hope to go to Canada some day

Posted By: tgchi13
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2009 at 7:05pm

My husband was at the Canadian High Commission today and picked up his PRV about an hour ago. The fastest trip yet.  We counted, he's been there 6  times now, and FINALLY this is the last!

I've booked him a plane ticket to leave Jamaica on Friday!!!! YIPPEEEE!!! Party

I'll stick around as time permits as I have met many, many wonderful people here and would like to help them through this long and tedious process.

]

Congratulations!!!

Posted By: missingmybaby
Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 8:29am
what is TRV and how would i do that

-------------
MAHAL

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 9:00am
what i was said in the it just my mom they call to do medical,not  me on my sister we do not get any call or mail from them yet we call the immigration in Canada they said they do not have any thing to do with it now all the paper work is in Jamaica,   immigration in Kingston/ can the   immigration in Kingston  turn as down because it not Canada 

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 9:05am
jetice, nice to see you made it to the forum again Smile and indeed I think you're going to make it to Canada too!

I think it's good that they contacted your mother to redo the medical because it expired which means they're getting to the end of the line!!!!

It may be another month before she hears anything back from Kingston, but they ARE working on it Clap.

Great that they have the original documents now too!

Originally posted by jetice jetice wrote:

my sister Sponsor me ere   brother , sister ,  nieces on mother  from 2001 Kingston received her application 8 year today and my mom  got call to do the medical in 2008 they call her back this year in 2009  telling her medical already expired on not going to make it in time to go to Canada  she have to do it back over they call in July28 she did it back in  November,10  this year   haven get any call from  immigration in Kingston yet,but it was a park-is  far all of as they send as some people in 2008 or 2007 for me on my sister on ere nieces,said in to as that we need to sibmin to us following documents: on we did so they ask for ,original birth certificate for my sis on me on ere nieces,on yourself the my mom ,birth certificate for your sponsor-that my sis who is filing,death certificate for your deceased spouse,completion of the attached from for me on my sister om nieces,      on we send it back in too the high commission it was two set of paper work my mom go the first set on we got the next set of paper who me on my sis on nies

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 9:12am
For all: http://recherche-search.gc.ca/v?S_08D4T.s3rv5c3=basic&S_F8LLT2XT=sponsor+guide+jamaica&S_S20RCH.l1ng91g3=eng&l7c1l3=eng&s5t34d=cic&t3mpl1t34d=1&d7cr3f=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cic.gc.ca%2Fenglish%2Fpdf%2Fkits%2Fguides%2F3909e.pdf&S_08D4T.1ct57n=view&S_08D4T.7r5g5n=result -

Family Class

Sponsorship of a spouse, common-law

partner, conjugal partner or dependent

child living outside Canada

Part 3:

Country Specific

Instructions

Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas,

Barbados, Cuba, Dominica,

Dominican Republic, Grenada,

Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Saint Kitts

and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint

Vincent and the Grenadines,

Suriname and Trinidad and Tobago

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 9:14am
TRV= Temporary Resident Visa or Visitors Visa

you apply as any other person would by filling out the forms and paying yr fees. this visa doesnt allow you to live in canada, there is a time limit as to how long you can stay in the country legally.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 9:16am
try this site, it should give you all the info you need to apply for a TRV.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 9:25am
Hi missingmybaby,

Given that you have an application for a PRV, you're going to need to make a substantial effort to prove that he will come back to Jamaica when the TRV, Temporary Resident Visa expires. If he has a job, a letter from his employer confirming that he has *** weeks vacation & a job he is expected to return to. Ties to the community (taking care of mother/father etc). Return airplane ticket, travel insurance while in Canada with expiry date.

Explain that you understand the process is lenghty, how long  you haven't seen each other, any committments in Canada that prevent you from getting to Jamaica to see him, financial burden if you do leave your job for an extended time, no more vacation pay, Child responsiblities, job, family duties etc.

You need to make it clear that the best option for both of you is for him to come here to visit. If you can convince them of that, and that indeed he will return before the TRV expires. You should be okay. I also advise that you apply for it ASAP, as rumor has it they pound out TRV's in record numbers in December. Not sure if there is any truth to that, but I think if it can work in your favor. Sooner is better. Especially if you want him here for Christmas..... maybe play religion in your favour as well.

How to apply for your Temporary Resident Visa

1. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp#step1 - Obtain a Temporary Resident Visa application package .
  2. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp#step2 - Read the guide .
  3. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp#step3 - Complete the application form and attach the necessary documents .
  4. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp#step4 - Pay the fee and get the necessary receipt .
  5. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-how.asp#step5 - Mail the application form and necessary documents .

1. Obtain a Temporary Resident Visa application package.

The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp - Download and print the application package .

2. Read the guide.

Read the guide carefully before you complete the application form. The fee for processing your form is not refundable, so make sure you are eligible to get a Temporary Resident Visa before you apply.

3. Complete the application form and attach the necessary documents.

The application form contains instructions. Read the instructions and be sure to provide the required documents. If you do not provide all the requested information or documents, your application may be delayed.

You can use the same application form for your spouse or common-law partner, and for dependent children under 18 if they will be travelling with you.

All required documents must be included with your application:

• You must have a valid travel document (such as a passport) for each family member on the application.
  • Two recent passport photos of each family member are required. Make sure these photos meet the requirements. For more information on specifications for photographs, see the Related Links section at the bottom of this page.
  • Enclose the application fee. Your fee will not be refunded, even if your application is not accepted.
  • You must provide proof that you have enough money for your visit to Canada. The amount of money may vary, depending on the circumstances for your visit, how long you will stay and whether you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives. You can get more information from the Canadian visa office in your country or region.
  • You may need to include other documents. These documents could be identification cards, proof of employment, a letter of invitation from relatives or friends in Canada, or a proposed itinerary. Check the website of the visa office responsible for the country or region where you live for more information.

4. Pay the fee and get the necessary receipt.

The fee per person is $75 for a single entry visa, $150 for a multiple entry visa or $400 for a family (multiple or single entry).

Check the website of the visa office responsible for the country or region where you live for more information on fees, including how to pay them.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 9:34am
FYI: PRV’s: How many do they process every year?

Facts and figures 2008 – Immigration overview:
Permanent and temporary residents

Permanent residents

Canada – Permanent residents by source country

Number

Source countries

Jamaica

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 9:44am
Hi Mrs. Sam,

Do these figures include all the applicants, approved and denied?

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 9:50am
No, but I wish they would disclose that type of info. Smile
This is the number that were issued for the correlating year.

Hi Mrs. Sam,

Do these figures include all the applicants, approved and denied?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 10:21am

No, but I wish they would disclose that type of info. Smile

This is the number that were issued for the correlating year.

Yeah, it would be interesting to see how many in fact they do process. Maybe we can do a study ourselves (if only we know the bases of their decisions). Sigh.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 11:48am
there are some general guidelines that must be followed for the application.

after that however, the decision rests with the immigration officer that has yr file and the quotas that have to be met.

i've been thru some circumstances with both the us and canadian immgration offices that lead me to believe that at times, it really is just the luck of the draw.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 12:13pm
Hey job_seeker, what office are you going through? If not Jamaica, I'll see what numbers I can find for you.

I guess it's hard to say with how many they decline, could be mountain of reasons why, boy I'd like to be fly on their walls!

Yeah, it would be interesting to see how many in fact they do process. Maybe we can do a study ourselves (if only we know the bases of their decisions). Sigh.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 12:27pm
dear applicant /this refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada which was received at this office on ,July 16 2007 ,that the date  

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 1:23pm

Hey job_seeker, what office are you going through? If not Jamaica, I'll see what numbers I can find for you.

I guess it's hard to say with how many they decline, could be mountain of reasons why, boy I'd like to be fly on their walls!

Thanks Mrs. Sam. Philippines. Not yet in the process of sponsorship. Just gathering enough ammunition so hopefully when that day comes I am armed and dangerous.

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 1:58pm
Hi job_seeker, I posted these numbers in the Philippines thread too. I think it's a great idea to great idea to gather and understand the process before you go through it. Good for you for being proactive and not reactive.

Facts and figures 2008 – Immigration overview:
Permanent and temporary residents

Permanent residents

Canada – Permanent residents by source country

Number

Source countries

Philippines

Thanks Mrs. Sam. Philippines. Not yet in the process of sponsorship. Just gathering enough ammunition so hopefully when that day comes I am armed and dangerous.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 2:49pm
dear applicant /this refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada which was received at this office on ,July 16 2007 ,that the date  they got the                                                                                                                                      KG received package

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 7:04pm
i look up the date when we got our first package from  the high commission of Canada it was the 2008  sorry about guys my mom get ere one first in 2007 ,out file-in is a package  i remember be i  Registered Post it too then

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 4:10pm
jetice: i'm still unable to understand what u are trying to say.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 4:34pm
my sister Sponsor my mother  Kingston received her application in 2007 and immigration on she got a mail to do the medical send it back to  Kingston that was  last year July 2008 they call black this year  told my  that his papers is with the immigration officer her medical already expired on she not going to make it too Canada in time she need to pay the visa free first  from sep now they  send her black  medical forms to do over she did it back in nev 5 2009 i want to know how long they take to call you far a intview:

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 6:43pm
Jetice: your family member wont get the call before January 2010. approximately 2 months after she did the medical.

my sister Sponsor my mother  Kingston received her application in 2007
and immigration on she got a mail to do the medical send it back to  Kingston that was 
last year July 2008 they call black this year  told my  that his papers is with the immigration
officer her medical already expired on she not going to make it too Canada in time she need to pay the visa free first  from sep now they 
send her black  medical
forms to do over she did it back in nev 5 2009 i want to know how long they take to call you far a int<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 9pt;" lang="EN"><span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black;" lang="EN">view:</span></span>

-------------

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 2:11am
Hey Jetice, the bring forward date will be about two months to review the medical results. If they want an interview, it will most likely be 3 months notice as they are running behind. So you're looking at an estimation of April or May for an Interview Date. Unhappy I know it's a long wait, but it will be worth it in the end.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 12:56am
Jetice: did the answers clear up the approximate interview date for u?

the interview wont happen until at least 2-3 months from the date of the medical.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 3:19am

Hey, thanks... from the time I submitted the paper work to today it has been 10 months and 25 days.... in Jamaica time

Mrs Sam,

Today is your husband's landing in Canada!!!!! Hope it was a smooth process and a memorable experience for you and your husband!!!! All the best!!!!

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 9:44am

Thanks job_seeker,

It was truly a memorable experience. Heart He had to run to make his connection, Immigration was really great & quick.... Thumbs Up  they searched his bags at lightning speed so that he could make his connection but when he landed in Calgary.... OMG! We got 15 cm of snow yesterday afternoon, with 80 km/hour wind, total white out conditions, the whole city is still a mess and the Winter Storm advisory's are still in effect Shocked ..... we got outside and.... BOOM! Exclamation Welcome to Canada... about 10 minutes later while driving we got stuck in a snow drift. LOL Everybody else was in the ditch.  Poor guy had to dig the car out, and then push, Star lol I don't think he's going to forget snow any time soon!

It is definitely a story about his first day in Canada that we won't forget!!! Clap

Hey, thanks... from the time I submitted the paper work to today it has been 10 months and 25 days.... in Jamaica time

Mrs Sam,

Today is your husband's landing in Canada!!!!! Hope it was a smooth process and a memorable experience for you and your husband!!!! All the best!!!!

-------------

Posted By: missingdave
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 12:31pm
congratulation Mrs Sam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: tgchi13
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 12:34pm
Quite the first day but also a seasonally appropriate Welcome to Canada! All the best for you an your family, always.

-------------
tgchi ~
'so close, no matter how far, couldn't be much more from the heart, forever trusting who WE are and nothing else matters' Going State-side!

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 5:33am

Thanks guys, the story only got better.

We had 15 cm's of snow that night... then more wind and snow.... then the excitement of our son being born less than 21 hours after he landed as a PRV. Clap He's 7 weeks premature, but AJ (Andre Junior) is doing great. Big smile

Now that I'm home from the hospital it's -30 out... so we're buying a winter coat, boots, mitts etc for him tomorrow. Then we're going to tackle shoveling the metre high snowdrift that has formed down our sidewalk and initiate him as a real canadian homeowner! Tongue

I've explained to him why we plug in our cars and now as a Canadian he totally understand why we don't treat our cars the same way that they do back home in Jamaica. They are literally meant to get us from where we are to where we want to be, preferrably keeping us warm and out of the snow drifts.

He has also taken on the snow and cold with a great attitude (has already figured out how to dress in layers) and he understands that we don't like it either ... LOL lol and he's compared it to back home....it's just like Air Conditioning, it's just outside, instead of inside!

-------------

Posted By: missingdave
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 11:58am
well CONGRATULATIONS and all the best to your little one......is he home from the hospital? if not I hope he is home before christmas....take care

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 6:51pm
congrats mrs sam. show him the ropes, he'll adjust before u know it.

-------------

Posted By: Iambless
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 10:18pm
Hello All. I have recently got married. I would lbe very happy to get some answers to some questions:

(1)  Who should the employment letter be addressed to?
(2)  Should we wait until next year to apply for the Option C.
(3) Who should the letters that our friends and family address the letter to and what should it entail.
(4) Do you have to wait to get the Marriage Certicate before sending off the application?
(5) Do I have to wait until I get the froms that my daughter filled out, police record and medical before I can send off the application?
(6) Do you have to go on a honeymoon before sending off the application?
(7) What if your husband is older, will there be a red flag?
(8) How can you open a joint account?
(9) How can you get a printout from your phone company detailing your incoming and outgoing calls?

I am applying outbound although we are in Canada.

Your advice appreciated.

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 11:58pm

<FONT size=+0>Thanks guys, the story only got better.

We had 15 cm's of snow that night... then more wind and snow.... then the excitement of our son being born less than 21 hours after he landed as a PRV. Clap He's 7 weeks premature, but AJ (Andre Junior) is doing great. Big smile

Now that I'm home from the hospital it's -30 out... so we're buying a winter coat, boots, mitts etc for him tomorrow. Then we're going to tackle shoveling the metre high snowdrift that has formed down our sidewalk and initiate him as a real canadian homeowner! Tongue

I've explained to him why we plug in our cars and now as a Canadian he totally understand why we don't treat our cars the same way that they do back home in Jamaica. They are literally meant to get us from where we are to where we want to be, preferrably keeping us warm and out of the snow drifts.

He has also taken on the snow and cold with a great attitude (has already figured out how to dress in layers) and he understands that we don't like it either ... LOL lol and he's compared it to back home....it's just like Air Conditioning, it's just outside, instead of inside!

WOW Mrs. Sam!!!!
      Lots of excitement!!! It really is a memorable period for you and your husband. And your little one couldn't wait to greet his Dad!!!! Quite an initiation for your husband Congratulations again!!!!!

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 9:38pm
hey guys like to ask a questions ,i know this girl in  Canada who want to  sponsor me up there what do she need to do that  can someone have me some info ps 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 6:31am
Wow Jetice, you are one man that surely wants to get to Canada something bad. LOL She's going to need to fall in love with you and marry you if you want her to be your sponsor, then prove that the relationship is genuine to Immigration and that she didn't just marry you so that you could get into the country.

hey guys like to ask a questions ,i know this girl in  Canada who want to  sponsor me up there what do she need to do that  can someone have me some info ps 

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 6:53am

Hi guys, thanks for all of the warm wishes.

I've kind of been busy... at the hospital and all Big smile AJ is only 3 lbs 10 oz, but he's doing good. I got out of the hospital the next day, and baby is still in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at the hospital and probably will be for 4-8 weeks depending on how well he does.
Here's the boy Embarrassed

My husband is amazed with our healthcare system and that everything is free, especially now that we have a preemie baby in the NICU... they even gave us a parking pass valued at $10/day, which is a cost savings of over $500 if baby stays until his due date. WOW!Clap  

He love's Canada and he didn't mind shoveling the front walk of the 3 feet of snow we got... but a good coat, toque and mitts is highly recommended lol. We got good pictures of that to send back home too hahaha.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1377185&id=781957934&op=1&view=global&subj=593016978 -

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1057830&id=593016978 -
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1057830&id=593016978 - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1057830&id=593016978 -

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Iambless Iambless wrote:

Hello All. I have recently got married. I would lbe very happy to get some answers to some questions:

(1)  Who should the employment letter be addressed to?
Address it to
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
c/o CPC Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A
Mississauga, ON
L5A 4N6

Attention: To Whom It May Concern

(2)  Should we wait until next year to apply for the Option C.
No don't wait, spouses do not need to meet minimum requirements for sponsorship. If you filed Income Tax from last year after you request it, you should get it in 7-10 working days.

(3) Who should the letters that our friends and family address the letter to and what should it entail.
Address it to
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
c/o CPC Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A
Mississauga, ON
L5A 4N6

Attention: To Whom It May Concern

In these letters you want them to define, confirm and approve of your relationship. Be as detailed as possible, ie. when they met you and your spouse, functions they've attended with you, the love that they see, how they see your relationship... don't be shy. This is proof of your relationship and confirmation that it exists.

(4) Do you have to wait to get the Marriage Certicate before sending off the application?
Yes, they will ask for a copy of the Marriage Certificate in the application, and will ask for a copy of the Original be brought into Kingston and dropped off with other true and original documents they want to see (like birth certificates, divorce certificates, etc).

(5) Do I have to wait until I get the froms that my daughter filled out, police record and medical before I can send off the application?
Yes, get all of your paperwork and records done (records done withih 3 months of the date you intend to submit the application. Mine were done 6 months before, but were still good.

(6) Do you have to go on a honeymoon before sending off the application?
No, but they may ask for specifics. Your honeymoon could just be staying at a different hotel or location on the island, travelling around the country visiting family etc.

(7) What if your husband is older, will there be a red flag?
Red flags all over the place... I'm 16 years older than my husband, they questioned our age and also why we got married so quickly, even requested an interview.

(8) How can you open a joint account?
Talk to your bank directly and they will advise. I just set up another account attached to my account and sent money online that way so that he could withdraw with his Debit Card.

(9) How can you get a printout from your phone company detailing your incoming and outgoing calls?
When he goes back to JA Purchase Digicel Online Topup and it will record when and how much was sent to his cell phone. Your cell phone company should have the option to view your bill online which will break down your calls for incoming and outgoing. I also recommend buying a fax machine for your home that records the incoming callers and then generates a Caller List which  you can also submit (if he calls your home number too).

I am applying outbound although we are in Canada.

Your advice appreciated.

-------------

Posted By: futuredentist
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 9:38am

Dear Mrs. Sam,

In your post to Lambless, I see that she has mentioned something about letters from family and friends confirming the existence of his/her marriage. I am stumped by this. I did not come across this when I started filling my application? I haven't yet sent in mine, do I need to get these letters?

Also I do not have an Option C printout as I am just about to re-establish residence in Canada on jan 16 (I became PR in APril 2007 and since have not been in the country). Will it be fine just to provide them evidence of overseas employment. I have checked on this forum before but I want to be dead sure.

Thanks,
FD

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 12:14pm
Hi Future Dentist,

I don't know your particular case but any additional information that you can supply them confirming that your relationship is genuine can be beneficial. Remember that you only get one opportunity to submit everything to prove your case and legitimacy.

I did not send in any letters as I had felt I enough doumented proof, but if you can obtain such letters (and have the time) than by all means certainly do.

Regarding Option C, if you cannot provide one you can explain why you are not providing it (same reason as you stated here) and yes, then submit evidence of overseas employment, paystubs etc as you mentioned.

I hope this info helps :)

-------------

Posted By: futuredentist
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 10:13am
Thank you Mrs. Sam.

It is very difficult for me to assess objectively whether my case is strong or not. I can only think of it as strong if you know what I mean ;)

We did not have a traditional marriage though because my parents were not very happy about our getting married. THey wanted us to have a more festive affair which we were both against. We had a small ceremony with only his friends as this was necessary to get the marriage registered. I wonder if this would work against us. We did not have a formal reception either. Should I avoid mentioning that my parents were against our getting married?

We have known each other from 2001, we met through instant messaging and were introduced by my cousin who is his best friend. We lived together since 2006 and got married in 2009. We have TONS of chats between us. I just can't get a hold of my voice call history as we used a variety of VOIP services and the call history is no longer showing up. I only have evidence that my SKYPE was recharged very frequently without a breakdown of calls or phone numbers. We have TONS of photos.

Do I need to add anything to make our evidence stronger?

-FD

Posted By: reddraven
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 7:11pm
I live in Canada and my fiance lives in Jamaica.  He wants to apply for a TRV and come to stay with me for 6 months.  Does anyone know how long the processing time is and how difficult it is to get one?  What should we do to make sure he is approved?

-------------
reddraven

Posted By: faith
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 9:50pm
Hi Reddraven,

the turn around time for the TRV application is not very long, I believe it is approx 10 days. The problem is that is it very unlikely that they will grant it. You can always try and hope for the best but the approval rate is not very good. Things that can work in your favor are the ties he has to Jamaica. If they are convinced that he will return there they would be more willing to approve the application. The sticky part is that once you tell them you are engaged, they will most likely assume he will not return and overstay on the visa.

Best of luck :)

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 11:46pm

thank you faith! we don't plan on telling them we are engaged, just friends.  He also has family here, perhaps it would be better for him to say he is visiting family.

-------------
reddraven

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 1:12am
That would probably work better for you. Does your fiance has significant ties to his community? Own land/house, long term job, kids? All of these things will help him to get the visa however it is also a luck of the draw :(

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 9:27am

no the only thing he has is a letter of employment stating he has been there 3 years and has been granted leave for those months.  What if he bought the plane ticket beforehand and showed them that?  It would have a date of return showing he is planning on going back.  We were waiting to see if they approved him first but I was just wondering if it would prove he was planning on returning.

Or what if I wrote the invitation letter stating he was visiting family and friends, his family doesn't have enough room for him so he would be staying at my residence.

It's frustrating that we can travel anywhere but they can't and have to go through such a rigorous process and may not even be approved.  He is definitely going back, we plan to marry at the end of October on the beach.  Then we would be applying for permanent residency....a whole other can of worms lol

-------------
reddraven

Posted By: jamaisomal
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 10:14am
He needs to show more ties. They look for assets like land, vehicle etc. I know someone who had the same job with the govt for 10+ years and because he could not show enough $$$ on a bank statement, they kept turning him down for a visitor's visa. He got approved last year when he was able to show 'enough' money in the bank. He also used his car title.

Originally posted by reddraven reddraven wrote:

no the only thing he has is a letter of employment stating he has been there 3 years and has been granted leave for those months.  What if he bought the plane ticket beforehand and showed them that?  It would have a date of return showing he is planning on going back.  We were waiting to see if they approved him first but I was just wondering if it would prove he was planning on returning.

Or what if I wrote the invitation letter stating he was visiting family and friends, his family doesn't have enough room for him so he would be staying at my residence.

It's frustrating that we can travel anywhere but they can't and have to go through such a rigorous process and may not even be approved.  He is definitely going back, we plan to marry at the end of October on the beach.  Then we would be applying for permanent residency....a whole other can of worms lol

-------------
Application sent May 13, 2010
Started processing July 22, 2010.
Decision made March 7, 2011
Landed April 13th 2011
The whole process took exactly 11 months!

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 11:36am
how much money do you need?

-------------
reddraven

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 11:55am
My mother in law got a visa and she had $120k in the bank. ( jamaican) She owns her house and she has had her own business for 20+ years.

Posted By: jamaisomal
Date Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 1:43pm
I'm not sure how much you need to show but they count assets too. So the previous poster's mother-in-law had a business so that is considered a big asset and the $120k was enough. The person I know just got an insurance settlement and showed $400k. His car was the asset he showed.

how much money do you need?

-------------
Application sent May 13, 2010
Started processing July 22, 2010.
Decision made March 7, 2011
Landed April 13th 2011
The whole process took exactly 11 months!

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 9:22am
 i want go to  Canada before  i applying for a visa what do i need to make with me ,bank statement and employment letter ,but i guess the lost time i work for a company was in 2007 on i got a employment latter far them to take away im looking mason work on not a lot of money in my bank book it like 1000 thousand  dollars in it now can i use that one the latter i get

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 12:13pm
can some give me some info but get in  marry within 90 days  in Canada oh can she send far me that why in jamaica  

-------------

Posted By: chelley
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 5:42pm
greetings all...

first time posting, so quick overview/introduction before i ask my question...

married my husband in may of 09, i was 5 months pregnant at the time... We submitted our paperwork on Sept 30, the day before our son was born... I was approved for sponsor October 22, processing began on Nov 11.... we got a letter Feb 8 saying we need to bring in proof of our son's birth certificate.. I took my maternity leave here (in jamaica) so had the b/c with us... we submitted that feb 9...

today (feb 22) we got a phone call saying we must bring in the birth certificate again since they have misplaced the copy, along with my husband's passport so they can finalize the immigration process...

first, am i correct in assuming that this is it, we're done?

and secondly, how long does it take for us to get his passport back?....

i've been enjoying living in jamaica and plan on being here a couple more months at least (not looking forward to going back to winter, we'll wait it out :) ), but it'll be nice to know we're READY!!!

thanks for the help and best of luck to you all!!!

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 9:43am
did you ask them how did they last your   husband's passport ,and your  son's birth certificate ,you lot then pay far it ,will it take about one week to got your passport if you take it in ,but if you give someone it will take two week to got back 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 12:34pm

My fiance and I got married on March 30/10.  We are now starting the long and tedious process of completing his application for permanent residency and my sponsorship application.

Does anyone know how to go about getting a police clearance? 

Also, a family member told me that if I sponsor my spouse I am not entitled to receive maternity benefits from employment insurance within the 3 years I agree to financially support him.  Is this true?  I'm not pregnant but we do plan on having children.  This does present a problem should I get pregnant.

Any help would be much appreciated!

-------------
reddraven

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 12:35pm
sorry....I forgot to mention I live in Ontario

-------------
reddraven

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 2:55am
Just wanted all the lurkers out there to know that everything is great here!!!

The hubby has been in Canada now for 6 months!!! AJ is now 6 months old and while the winter was damn cold for a Jamaican... we're loving life now that we're together. It was worth the wait. I know that some days it will seem like an eternity before you see your partner again, but when that day comes the journey will have been worth the wait :)

And to those nasty rumors that the hubby left the kids and I and went to LA.... wtf?? get a life people! lol (I've got a life now so I haven't spent as much time on the computer... FarmVille on the other hand is another story lol)

Best wishes, I love all of those that keep in touch! And remember to the newbies, if you ever have questions, just send an email.... after going through hell to get my husband to Canada I'll answer any questions you have about the process or even after they get here!

Cheers!

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 2:59am

Also, a family member told me that if I sponsor my spouse I am not entitled to receive maternity benefits from employment insurance within the 3 years I agree to financially support him.  Is this true?  I'm not pregnant but we do plan on having children.  This does present a problem should I get pregnant.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Redraven, not true... I'm just finishing up a Maternity Leave and my husband has been here for 6 months, (11 months of processing time from sponsorship approval). You do have to have enough qualifying hours for EI though based on your region.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window