Print Page | Close Window

Landing interview?

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Family Class Sponsorship
Forum Description: A review of current sponsorship programs (permanent residence) promoting the reunion in Canada of close relatives from abroad.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2327
Printed Date: 26 Apr 2024 at 11:51am

Topic: Landing interview?
Posted By: raycrawford
Subject: Landing interview?
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 1:25pm

Can anyone share their experience on the landing interview?

Is it necessary for the sponsor to travel with their spouse?

How long does it take?  What information is required?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Raymond.

Replies:
Posted By: dpenabill
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 3:48pm
The process is a simple formality. No, it is not necessary for the sponsor (spouse) to accompany the landing PR.

A sponsoring spouse may, of course, accompany their immigrating spouse, and for non-English, non-French speakers this may be a larger factor in terms of providing comfort and support even though, again, it is not necessary.

Most reports suggest that at an airport POE the landing immigrant is on one side of things, in a secure area, and that non-accompanying spouses are not generally allowed to enter that area. This policy may have changed recently, or may be subject to particular exceptions in some circumstances (saw recent report of this being allowed for example). You might be able to phone CBSA and ask about the particular airport (assuming your spouse will be arriving by air).

It only takes a few minutes to go through the formal process itself. How long one is occupied, however, will vary depending on the queue at the particular POE where the immigrant is landing. Reports of waits a typical airport POE (Halifax, Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa) vary up to an hour or so, though occasionally longer waits are reported. If the langing PR speaks French or English fluently, it probably goes easier; otherwise an interpreter is necessary.

The questions are few, mostly to confirm the information on the Confirmation of Permanent Residence, including Canadian address (which is important since that is where the PR card will be mailed), to confirm no criminal charges or convictions, confirm no changes in marital status. Sign and go.

The CIC information is accurate and helpful:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/guide/section-02.asp

Quote Essential documents
When you travel to Canada, you will need to have the following documents with you:

•a Canadian immigrant visa and Confirmation of Permanent Residence for each family member travelling with you;
•a valid passport or other travel document for each family member travelling with you;
•two copies of a detailed list of all the personal or household items you are bringing with you; and
•two copies of a list of items that are arriving later.
Note: The lists should state how much your personal and household items are worth.

•You must also bring with you enough money to cover living expenses such as rent, food, clothing and transportation for a six-month period. You may be asked to show proof of your funds [not applicable to sponsored PRs].
Do not pack your documents in a suitcase. You will need to have them available to show to immigration and customs officials.

The above site also lists additional documents a person may want to be sure to be carrying. The admonition to not pack documents in suitcases but rather to have them at hand needs emphasis.

Also see info about the day of arrival in particular:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/guide/section-03.asp

Quote Customs and immigration
You will probably find the entry procedure fairly straightforward because you have a passport and other essential documents.

You will be interviewed by a Canada Customs officer. You will need to give the officer a list of all the household and personal items that you will be bringing into Canada. You should also show the immigrant visa to the customs officer, who will refer you to an immigration officer.

The immigration officer will check your visa and travel documents and ask you questions similar to those on the Immigrant Application Form, to verify that you are of good character and in good health. At this time, you may also be asked to show proof of your funds [again, not applicable to sponsored spouses]. If there are no difficulties, the officer will authorize your entry to Canada as a permanent resident by signing your Record of Landing or Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

If you arrive at one of the major Canadian airports, you will get a booklet called Welcome to Canada: What You Should Know. It has information on most aspects of life in Canada. It also provides addresses and telephone numbers for:

•immigrant-serving organizations across Canada;
•language training assessment centres (which help eligible adult newcomers find free language classes);
•useful federal and provincial government offices.
Reception services
If you arrive in Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver, you will find immigrant reception services in the airport. These services are run by immigrant-serving organizations. They help newcomers get the information and services they need, and this help is often available in several languages. In Montreal, the Ministère de l’Immigration et des Communautés culturelles runs this service.

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration

Posted By: tanushree.tiku
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 1:18am
There is another thread on this forum for landing interview. However it wud be nice if we cud see more people sharing their personal experiences.

Posted By: dpenabill
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 4:31am
The "experience" itself, however, for almost all partner sponsored PRs, is not remarkable. It is, as most have suggested in the various threads including in the prior rendition of this forum as well as in other forums, a brief, formal, simple process.

Mine, for example, was very much what others had reported and what the CIC site suggests is likely. A bit of a queue, but then it was all done in maybe ten to fifteen minutes, much of which was also "waiting time" (I assume the CBSA officer handling mine was running computer checks during that five to seven minute period) . . . in my case the officer forgot to ask those few questions until he had done all the paperwork and as he was stamping things and just about to separate the different colored forms he was . . . ohhh yeah, "no criminal charges right? no change in marital status?" and I smiled, nodded, maybe uttered "yes" or "right" and he handed my part of the paperwork to me and he said, "Congratulations, you are now a Canadian." At the time I thought he was wrong . . . that I was not "a Canadian" as yet, just a PR . . . but I subsequently read the definitions in the IRPA and learned, yeah, yeah, I am now a Canadian, no longer a "FN" but a Canadian.

Then there was a visit to the "customs" side of Secondary, but that too was a brief, simple, formal process . . . though I was, at the time, importing a vehicle into Canada, which requires a little extra paperwork. They never did really look at my "goods" or even inspect my vehicle . . . but it was almost 40 below that evening there (at which point Celsius and Fahrenheit are equal), the wind ripping a mean-spirited chill, and that POE's inspection area is exposed to the elements.

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration

Print Page | Close Window