Print Page | Close Window

Losing PR Card for declaring non-residency

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Preserving Permanent Residence Status
Forum Description: How long can a permanent resident remain outside of Canada? Commentaries on preserving permanent residence.
Printed Date: 09 Mar 2021 at 2:40am

Topic: Losing PR Card for declaring non-residency
Posted By: adds416
Subject: Losing PR Card for declaring non-residency
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 11:16am
I am in a dileama that I hope someone can answer for me. Me (canadian citizen) and my wife (canadian PR) moved to USA last year for a new job. However, since we are both still considered residents of Canada, I had to report US income and pay difference in tax, which was not a small amount. The only way to not report US income in Canada is to declare non-residency in Canada. 
My Question:
1) How can we declare non-residency in Canada? ie What forms to fill up?
2) Will my wife lose her PR card? Will she still be able to visit Canada once in a while?
3) What else will we (or have to) lose in the process? OHIP? Canada bank account? Memberships?
4) If we have to move back to Canada, how can get residency back?

Thanks in advance!

Posted By: atlanticone
Date Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:21pm

your wife will not lose PR status. Each day a permanent resident is outside of Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse, it is deemed a day of physical presence in Canada.

Print Page | Close Window