Print Page | Close Window

Help with rejected application

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Canadian Citizenship
Forum Description: Commentaries outlining important issues in acquiring Canadian citizenship through naturalization
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22674
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 3:01pm

Topic: Help with rejected application
Posted By: michellelea77
Subject: Help with rejected application
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 8:20pm
So I submitted my application (I've been here for 15 years) and it was returned as 'incomplete'.

it says "The passport or travel document provided do not cover the entire 6 year period preceding the date of your application, or since you became a Permanent Resident, whichever is more recent. You also hav enot provided an explanation of any gaps in passport validity or why the required document is not in your possession.  Please send us a photocopy of the biographical page of all passport(s) or travel documents you have had during the relevant 6 year period or any required explanations"

so I submitted in April 2016 - my passport was renewed in November 2010 - is this what they mean?? ie they want a copy of the previous passport as well?  that's not a problem, but they can't seem to just *say* what exactly they want. 

also when i resubmit, do I need to reprint my entire application "fresh"?  they stamped and stapled the one i originally sent, so I don't know if I can just send that back to them or not??  or maybe send the fresh one with a note stating I wasn't sure what they wanted?!  Of course I get this on a Friday, so I can't even attempt to call in until Monday. 

i haven't been this stressed out since my first PR card.

Replies:
Posted By: dpenabill
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 4:59am

Originally posted by michellelea77 michellelea77 wrote:

So I submitted my application (I've been here for 15 years) and it was returned as 'incomplete'.

it says "The passport or travel document provided do not cover the entire 6 year period preceding the date of your application, or since you became a Permanent Resident, whichever is more recent. You also hav enot provided an explanation of any gaps in passport validity or why the required document is not in your possession. Please send us a photocopy of the biographical page of all passport(s) or travel documents you have had during the relevant 6 year period or any required explanations"

so I submitted in April 2016 - my passport was renewed in November 2010 - is this what they mean?? ie they want a copy of the previous passport as well? that's not a problem, but they can't seem to just *say* what exactly they want.

also when i resubmit, do I need to reprint my entire application "fresh"? they stamped and stapled the one i originally sent, so I don't know if I can just send that back to them or not?? or maybe send the fresh one with a note stating I wasn't sure what they wanted?! Of course I get this on a Friday, so I can't even attempt to call in until Monday.

i haven't been this stressed out since my first PR card.

Do not hesitate to sit down with someone who is better dealing with bureaucratic applications and language and get their help in figuring what you need to do.

Navigating bureaucratic forms and applications can indeed be awkward or outright difficult for many. There is no reason to be the least bit embarrassed about asking for help reading the instructions. If you do not have anyone close to you who can help, there should be some community based organizations which have people who will be glad to help.   

In any event, as confusing as forms can be, understanding communications from IRCC is typically more difficult and can be downright frustrating. These tend to include a lot of extra information not really relevant to the particular individual and situation. They often require understanding in context.

Context for your situation appears to be the application instructions and checklist of required supporting documents.

The checklist item for passports and travel documents is actually quite straight-forward. The applicant needs to submit photocopies of any passport or travel document you have had covering any part of the six years prior to making the citizenship application. If you only submitted a passport issued in November 2010, you failed to submit a passport covering the period before November 2010 that is within the six years. For example, if you applied today, April 19, 2016, you would have to include copy of any passport you have had which was valid or could have been used since April 19, 2010, that is, going back six years.

My impression is that all you need to do is add a photocopy of your previous passport, to cover the months in 2010 which your current passport does not cover, and resubmit the application. Again, however, if you are not confident based on your reading of the instructions in the communication from IRCC, get some help reading and understanding the letter, and be sure to follow its instructions.

If for some reason you do not have your old passport, you need to submit a clear explanation clearly describing what you had and why you cannot submit a copy.

I am supposing you attempted to telephone the call centre by now. I hope you got what you need, but for matters like this the call centre can too often make things even more confusing.

Anyway, relax a bit, get the application properly resubmitted. And good luck. Sometimes the process can go quickly and smoothly. Sometimes not so quickly. Just be patient. Again, good luck.   

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration

Posted By: attamkhan
Date Posted: 01 May 2016 at 1:57pm
Hallo michellelea77
Any update on your case since April 15, 2016
Regards

Print Page | Close Window