Print Page | Close Window

Applicants applying from Sydney, Australia

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Skilled Worker / Independent Immigration
Forum Description: Permanent residence for skilled workers. The point system and related issues. Employer sponsorship is not a requirement
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=183
Printed Date: 05 May 2024 at 1:36am

Topic: Applicants applying from Sydney, Australia
Posted By: the big burp
Subject: Applicants applying from Sydney, Australia
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 4:05pm
Hi guys

Just wanted to start a new sydney forum here so people can share timelines and experiences....as in the old forum we are currently waiting for cic sydney to start processing 2007 applications for those who applied under the old rules i.e. prior to february 2008

Replies:
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 4:15pm
just thought i'd add that the timeframes are getting longer. new stats from end of october suggest that it takes 34-43 months to process applications under the old system.

stats for those who applied under new system will be included in the next update (approx. 12 months after the rule was implemented)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/02a-skilled-fed.asp

Posted By: ozzieboy
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 10:22pm
Hello Barb,

Thank you for letting me know about the new rego.

Posted By: mark3374
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 11:04am
Hello all, -1 in Vancouver today max of 3 later. Sun's shining, snow on the hills gotta love it!

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 4:42pm
glad to see a couple of us have found the new forum.

mark van sounds lovely...altho my hubby gets scared by such weather since its from northern africa...but we'll see how he goes in canada in a few weeks.

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 5:14pm
hi mark,

i am in vancouver. Went around the vic island and the surroundings of vancouver (grouse mnt). I hope we will have this sunshine until Monday. we intend to visit stanley park, gas town, etc.

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 11:42am
Yep, weather will be great for a while to come yet. Make sure you're at Stanley park in the evening so you can see all the Christmas lights as part of the Bright Nights in the Park. Also its Vancouver Island and the Capital is Victoria, trust me they hate it here if you call it Victoria Island (don't say ski fields either..lol). Grouse is great Were going up there for our white christmas this year!

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 4:02pm
mark, got any more tips with the canadian lingo??

hope you have a great white xmas!!! cant wait for mine in montreal this year...

Posted By: garewal
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 8:03am
hi everyone,
im a new member here. i applied in FSW category in may 2009 from sydney. i received  medical request in first week of september 2009. CIC received my medical and RPR FEE on 20 september 2009 and still im waiting for PPR request.
1-  Does anyone have any idea how much longer will i have to wait?
2-  Should i go to CIC to ask about my application's present status.
Regards

-------------
GAREWAL

Posted By: TimberRosa
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 1:23am
Eh... sorry to break in, but I am just wondering: why do you want to move to Canada? I am not critisizing but just really curious (it's my nature and that of the people of the country I am from). 

Posted By: Sailing
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 6:41pm
Hello!

Been a while.... Wondered why the old Sydney thread went dead.... Anyway after 3 years and 10 days to the day of AOR, hv finally received request for passports via email. Hv sent off passports for visa stamping. Expect to be in Toronto end of Jan. For those who applied under SAP 2007, keep the faith and continue to believe!

Sailing AOR 5 Dec 2006

Posted By: engin
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2009 at 12:56pm
Hi - I too found this forum. I became a PR on Dec 18. They required me to get CSQ because I was landing in Quebec, so I had to get that at the last minute.   

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2009 at 4:36am

Hello,

I and my son received our PR cards on Friday, except for my wife. It took 26 days to get them.

Date Posted: 27 Dec 2009 at 5:47am
hi guys,
i just received my ppr on 22 dec 2009.

-------------
GAREWAL

Posted By: AuzzieGuy
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2009 at 9:48pm
Hi all,

Just for info purposes, I'm a June 2007 applicant still waiting for the request for further info.

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2009 at 8:42pm
hi guys

just want to let u know we successfully landed in montreal without any probs with our canadian pr (without csq). we arrived and waited 2 hrs in line to be served as more than 30 ppl were in front of us then the process was quick. just asked if me and my hubby are still married, asked for list of goods to follow and how much money we have in total both in and outside canada (nothing about how much we have now). we were given a brochure on the SIN card and asked if we had any questions and were free to go. we gave an address in ON for our PR cards.

the day after landing we applied for SIN and received the number on the spot. also set up a canadian bank account with no problem just showing COPR, pport and sin number. still awaiting pr and sin cards, but just been here a week and we were told pr cards would take 4-6 weeks to come and sin cards upto 10 days.

went to montreal, ottawa, toronto, hamilton and love canada. the people are just so nice here and we love th atmosphere its great.

if anyone has any qns just let me know

congrats on getting pr cards ozzieboy and congrats on ppr sailing!

merry xmas and happy new yr to all

Posted By: Keshab
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 11:23am

Posted By: benlav
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 2:06am
congrats burp on the success!

FYI for everyone else, I applied for the skilled residency November 2007, still awaiting them to contact us for more info (no rush though eh!).

I have one question that I haven't been able to find the answer to without emailing the syd office. Assuming my family and I are accepted, is there a time frame of which we must arrive into canada?

For example, say on Jan 15th 2011 I am accepted, do I need to arrive by say Jan 15th 2012 to avoid losing my application???

Any help or direction to an appropriate website would be awesome.

Cheers, good luck all.

Also - Timber... We all have different reasons why we want to move to Canada, this isn't really the appropriate place to discuss that, but I can tell you that you'll find various of reasons. I for one studied at the University of British Columbia for an exchange year with my University in New Zealand, I loved it so much I wanted to move back. That simple really.

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 4:01am
hi benlav,

you will be given 1 year exactly from the date of your medicals (done) to enter into Canada (given the other stuff i.e., police clearance, finances and ets are all ok). With Australia it is different, you will be given 6 months from the day of PR stamping. Hope this helps.

Congrats bigburp. The immigration guy also told us it will take 30 to 45 days, but luckly we got it a bit earlier. Hopefully you will have your soon. You should receive SIN cards within a week, eventhough they give themself 2 weeks. 

Posted By: can2k9
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2010 at 6:32am
any idea why CIC took so many months for PPR. my cousinis a new delhi applicant worked in middle east 20 years back only for 4 years still waiting for PPR after medicals in sept.2009.
Ki gul ho sakdi hai garewal sahib, he is passing through stress.
i know he dont belong to this thread but keep on seaching for the members who are waiting for PPR.

Originally posted by garewal garewal wrote:

hi guys,
i just received my ppr on 22 dec 2009.

Date Posted: 05 Jan 2010 at 6:54pm
hi guys

thanks for your good wishes. i havent heard if our SIN cards have come yet, it took more than a week so far but there was xmas in between. thnx for the info re PR card ozzieboy, but i expect it to take at least 1 month since everything takes longer after xmas.

we had a great time in canada, the canadian people are great. just went to ny city and that was good but had some extremely windy and cold weather....brrrr.... were now thinking vancouver is the best option...but we'll see. we will be beased in aus for another 1.5 yrs to get my hubby aus citizenship and then we will move. will be glad to hear how things go for all my fellow ppr applicants and pr's

benlav, canada gives you 1 year to enter canada from the date of your medicals and then from that date you are a PR and need to fulfil the residency requirements. which is to stay in canada for 2 out of a rolling 5 year period to keep pr.

engin - interesting that you had to get quebec selection certificate...we landed in montreal and didnt have to get csq but we gave an address in ontario for pr card and told the lady we would base ourselves there. we even applied for our SIN cards in montreal without a csq :-)
out of interest, what did you have to do to get csq?

happy new year to everyone

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 4:36pm

I had been working in Montreal for last 1.5 years and had shown a Montreal address on COPR, that is why they asked me to get CSQ at the last minute. It costed $390, took 10 days, and I just scraped past the minimum points.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 6:14pm
good to know engin. I didnt know you were in montreal...otherwise we could have met up. do you speak french at all? my hubby is starting to teach me french now but he gets a little frustrated with me and my aussie accent ;-)

do u like living in montreal?

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2010 at 4:32am
Smile

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 3:52am
hello bigburp,

Did you get your PR cards? My cousin has mailed our cards to us. How cold is it in Toronto and the East Coast in general? Funny, we went to Vancouver for landing and now thinking to move to toronto and you are thinking eaxctly opposite. Is it so bad (weather)? Your PR cards should not be that far. Good luck.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 5:30am
hi ozzieboy, yeah we are thinking about moving to vancouver now as everyone said how good it is. the weather in toronto is ok, much colder than aus and when its windy it feels really cold but we had between -2 and 2 degree weather everywhere in canada except for one night in montreal when it was -12.

toronto is good, i like it but it does feel much bigger than sydney. no doubt there are probably more job opportunities there.

no i havent got my pr cards yet...they should come any day now since it says 30 days on the website but may take longer due to xmas and new year holidays.

looked at ecas and it says where and when i landed and became a perm. resident.

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 2:36pm
Montreal is OK but I would rather live in an English-speaking province as I do not know any French. I am still waiting for my PR card to arrive - it has been exactly one month now. Toronto is indeed much bigger than Sydney but probably not as glossy. TBB have you started your job hunt now?

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 5:06am
thx for the ffedback engin - we really loved montreal but as i dont speak french we are looking at settling elsewhere.

not started the job hunt - wanting to get some more experience here in another position and then go. applied for a maternity leave position which would fit in well with our plans. the idea was to get my hubby aus citizenship but they are taking forever to process his (spouse) pr visa and they said upto 8 mths to process it so we'll see what happens as our plans may change depending what happens.

Posted By: ata3
Date Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 5:29pm
Hi Ozzieboy,

My family and I landed on the 11th December, My son and I received our pr cards but my husband didn't. I noticed your situation was similar; how long after did your wife receive hers in the mail?

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 4:16am
Hello ata3

Our relative made a mistake and said it was my and my son's PR card that arrived initially. It was my wife's and son's PR cards that came in first and my PR card followed them a week later. Your husband's should not be that far away.

Posted By: ata3
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 8:28pm
Thanks ozzieboy. I hope we get it this week because this coming Friday will be two weeks since I got mine

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2010 at 9:53pm
Hello big burp and ozzie boy,
i was wondering can u guyz tell me how much time did the canadian embassy in sydney take to stamp the visas on ur passports?when did u get them back from the embassy?the embassy received our passports on 25th of jan when can i expect them back?
Also can u plz tell did the immigration officer at the toronto/vancouver airport ask how much cash u were carrying with u?
thanx! Smile

-------------
GAREWAL

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2010 at 6:12am
hi garewal, after i sent my pports it took me 1 week to get the phone call from the consulate asking me to pick them up. if u live outside sydney then it will probably take longer.

i arrived at montreal, yes they asked how much money i had both taking with me and in australia and the officer then declared that amount on copr so wasnt strictly the amount in my pocket.

my friend also got my pr cards on friday too so took about 5 weeks to receive them

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 6:58pm
ozzieboy, did u get all your pr cards yet? my pr card arrived the other week but my hubbys hasnt arrived yet...its certainly a long process....Stern Smile

Posted By: krisp
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 8:59pm
Australia to Canada , what for really ?

-------------
https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Asl8-K_6JIWYdFBxa1ZDZ1dtQmpna2t6UHBvR285clE&output=html

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 9:59pm
hi garewal,

I received my passports within a week from Sydney to Melbourne. I was travelling overseas (not to canada) and requested if immigration could stamp visa quickly and return my passport back. Sydney CIC stamped visas and returned our passports within a week. 

The immigration officer in Vancouver asked us how much money i was bringing into Canada and did not bother about checking statements, currency or traveller checks, etc. I just simply gave a break up of Canadian dollars and Australian dollars in Australian back account and that was it.

Hello Bigburp, i got my PR cards long time ago. Infact i got them to AUstralia via Fedex in Jan 2010 (my wife and son got them 1st week of Jan to Australia and i got mine a week later). Because all the applications are sent to Nova Scotia for PR card processing, I think they process them seperately. Your husband's card might not take that long to arrive.   

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 8:22pm
Thank you Big burp and ozzie boy :) we too got our passports back after a week.
I have 2 more questions. Our seats are booked for next week. I am really worried as i am a bit low on cash. If i attach the gold evaluation receipt will that be helpful? We r also supposed to make a list of personal items which we'll be bringing into canada. Which items should i include?
Can u please reply ASAP as i dont have much time left.
Thanx guys

-------------
GAREWAL

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 8:56pm
hi garewal, congrats on getting your pport stamped etc. Great you are landing next week, are you going to stay there or just visit and go back later? It would be great if you could share your experience. I also noticed today that ontario recognise australian drivers licenses so you dont have to do all the tests - but need a printout from the driving authority here about your driving history.

with the funds, we were never asked at POE to show any documentation proving howw much money i had. I was simply asked to provide a figure (what i have on me plus what i have in money and shares i.e. assets that can easily be converted to cash). no idea what a gold evaluation receipt is and what it proves. according to the law they can ask you for proof but it doesnt seem to happen too often for people emmigrating from aus and other western countries so you could chance it. better to take some bank or share stmt proving the amount you need to prove.

re the personal items - these are the goods you can import at any time (no time limit as faras im aware) without paying duties/taxes. this list can not be changed later so i put everything i own on it just incase i wish to import anything to canada. as most things in canada are much cheaper than in aus, i dont think i will import all the goods listed but at least i know i can do it without paying duties in the future. i strongly urge you to put anything on the list that you will think you may import in the future esp. high value items.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 9:02pm
if this gold evaluation receipt refers to promptery (im thinking what it could refer to) then this thread may be of interest. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652573

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 8:21am
Big burp thank u so much. we'll be arriving at vancouver but then will take a flight to toronto. Thank u very much for telling me about the australian license. I was wondering whether it can be used in canada or not.I'll get the driving record before going.
  The link which u posted isnt working. Gold evaluation receipt is given by the jeweller. He weighs the gold and gives an estimate that how much value does it hold.
Thanks again, i hope i wont have any problem while checking out.

-------------
GAREWAL

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 4:42pm
Hello Garewal,

I landed in Vancouver in Nov last year and like Bigburp i was also asked for a figure and did not get to see any proof of funds. Havinf said this, I did notice other officers saking for proof from other arrivals, so, it is a very good idea to take as much proof as you can to be on safe side. tWhile I am not sure about gold, a good guess would be that it might be o.k as gold can be easily converted to cash especially with the proces of gold at present. Perhaps you can also say that you have invested into gold (just a thought).
If you are not moving permanently, they might only ask for the items that you are carrying now into Canada. We were asked to provide valuation on gold and receipts for other items that we put down on the list. Since we did not carry this sort of information, we were asked to provide the valuation of the goods that we carried with us and were told to prepare a list of goods to follow/import with valuations when we return back to canada. Good luck with your landing and new life in beautiful Canada. 
Thank you bigburp for the info on Australian D/L. I have asked the same question with Vancouver Licensing department and they requested my Australian D/L history to evealuate the equalavent caterogy in BC. The officer also did mention that we might not get a full license (i think it was Category 5 in BC) but might get a Australian P plate equavalent with a driving history of more than 12 years (this was my personal situation).

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 4:45am
hi garewal, the link i posted was to a forum asking if property is accepted as proof of funds - while the consulate may accept it when applying, it is unlikely to be accepted at POE. I think they would recognise the gold certificates as gold can easily be converted to cash and as ozzieboy said the gold price is great at the moment.

heres the info on the ontario drivers license: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 5:19pm
Hello all, this is my personal experience with my BC license:

With the BC license system you get 6 months from your original landing in which you can use your Oz drivers license. Before that time is up you are meant to go and sit your learners test (computer based, multiple choice, MAKE SURE YOU STUDY). They will take your drivers license before you sit the test and won't give it back until you pass your practical. Once you pass your L's you get a yellow piece of paper (temp. L license) and must wait at least a week until you can do your practical test.

The road test takes one hour total and make sure you shoulder check, shoulder check, shoulder check, shoulder check. There is no parking at all but make sure you slow down for every school zone and playground speed limit and don't speed back up until you pass the speed limit sign on the opposite side of the street (that's right they don't put up end of school zone signs here). Once you pass the road test they give you back your Oz drivers license and you get a full class 5 BC license. Mercifully they don't make you go through the graduated license program here (it's referred to as N for novice not P for provisional). Hope this helps.

Posted By: pmm
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 8:34pm
Hi

Originally posted by mark3374 mark3374 wrote:

Hello all, this is my personal experience with my BC license:With the BC license system you get 6 months from your original landing in which you can use your Oz drivers license. Before that time is up you are meant to go and sit your learners test (computer based, multiple choice, MAKE SURE YOU STUDY). They will take your drivers license before you sit the test and won't give it back until you pass your practical. Once you pass your L's you get a yellow piece of paper (temp. L license) and must wait at least a week until you can do your practical test. The road test takes one hour total and make sure you shoulder check, shoulder check, shoulder check, shoulder check. There is no parking at all but make sure you slow down for every school zone and playground speed limit and don't speed back up until you pass the speed limit sign on the opposite side of the street (that's right they don't put up end of school zone signs here). Once you pass the road test they give you back your Oz drivers license and you get a full class 5 BC license. Mercifully they don't make you go through the graduated license program here (it's referred to as N for novice not P for provisional). Hope this helps.

Its actually 90 days after taking up permanent residence in BC, when you must apply for a license. See: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/moving-bc/licence-othercountry#Variables._frag_

-------------
PMM

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 10:35pm
guys if you dont mind please. what is the reason for migrating to canada from australia??i suppose australia is as well of as canada. i just want to know the economic difference between the 2 countries.

Posted By: JBE
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 8:16am
Originally posted by can2k9 can2k9 wrote:

guys if you dont mind please. what is the reason for migrating to canada from australia??i suppose australia is as well of as canada. i just want to know the economic difference between the 2 countries.

Yes I agree with you, Canada is crap compare to Australia economically and socially (specially socially)… but I guess they want to immigrate to Canada is because it has a border with the US (unlike Australians, Canadians moving to US is easy due to NAFTA)… And the US has world presence and high job opportunity compare to any other country…. Hope this answers your Q…

Posted By: JBE
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 8:39am
Originally posted by JBE JBE wrote:

Yes I agree with you, Canada is ...

To add to that, you might wonder why Australians immigrate to Canada first instead of directly to the US is because Australia and Canada are under her mum’s rule still… so Australians immigrate to Canada is very easy! Hope this further answers your Q.

Australians should know one thing is that public F^arting is socially accepted habit in Canada LOL

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 4:38pm
my hubbys PR card arrived on friday - so took 7 weeks to arrive. anyway seems like our wait for documents is over now Party

good luck to those waiting, im sure cic sydney will continue processing those 2007 applicants in the queue throughout the yr. my sister is keen on applying too so will keep everyone posted if and when she applies

Posted By: sonu4canada
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 5:55am
Hi all ,i am new to this forum .i read all the threads its really intresting.i sent my form to cic nova soctia on 12 of january 2010, can u ple tell me when would i get my file number ,and how long the whole process takes?Confused

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 3:51am
welcome to the forum soucanada - if you want to know about timelines i suggest you visit this website its quite good. not sure how long the process takes in nova scotia
http://www.trackitt.com/canada-immigration-trackers/federal-skilled-workers - http://www.trackitt.com/canada-immigration-trackers/federal-skilled-workers

the process from australia shouldnt be too long for new applicants, but expect the whole process to take at least 1 yr

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 9:13pm
Hey thankyou so much 4 the reply.i will definetly see the site which u suggested.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 4:34am
hey guys i got my pr card in the mail from my friend. unfortunately my hubby got a letter saying he has to visit the immigration office because of the photo. does anyone know how to get around going to the office? if not, we will go there maybe with a year or something and sort it out, does anyone know if its ok to wait this long before contacting them? once we go and sort out the photo how long will the card take to come to us via mail?
any tips/hints would be appreciated. cheers

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 3:50pm
hi guys, any news from cic sydney?

wishing and hoping for good news for my fellow cic sydney applicants!

dont suppose anyone has tried to get the red seal before? want to know how often the exams are scheduled etc.

Posted By: sjaffer
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 12:01am
Hi

I am a new member to this forum and i'm glad i was able to find it. CHC- Sydney received my full visa application under the new skilled worker category on 4 March 2010? would appreciate if you can share your experiences on how long will it take for the medical request to come through and what timeline i am looking at until the day i have stamped visa in my passport?!

thanks

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 12:32am
Hello friends,
 I  applied my application from sydney office in january and i got the rejection letter today.really depressed.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 3:39am
sjaffer - congrats on loging ur application. will take about a month to hear back from them with an acknowledgement and i think the timeline provided by onu4canada gives you an ide of the time taken to assess and make a decision if to proceed with the application i.e. satisfy points test etc

sonu4canada sorry about the rejection...is there anything u can do to change the decision? what reason did they give you? all the best

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 8:15pm
bigburp..thanks for that.

sonu4canada, i am really sorry, did they tell why?

Posted By: Mike69
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 4:05am
Hi Bigburp,
          Regrading prof of funds will Bankers Cheque or Draft will satisfy immigration officers requirement.

Mike

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 5:26pm
hi mike, yep when landing a bank cheque/draft will be accepted as proof of funds

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 1:15am
just saw they updated timeframes online to cover the period:

January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2009

CIC Sydney - applications received before February 27, 2008: 34-43 mths

CIC Sydney - applications received after November 26, 2008: 4-6 mths

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 1:22am
I am in calgary applied from New Delhi. Im confused why you guys want to leave Australia and migrate to canana???is it due to racial discriminations???

Originally posted by the big burp the big burp wrote:

just saw they updated timeframes online to cover the period:<h3>January 1, 2009 to December 31, 2009</h3><h2>CIC Sydney - applications received before February 27, 2008: 34-43 mths</h2><h2>CIC Sydney - applications received after November 26, 2008: 4-6 mths</h2>

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 6:04pm
Hi can2k9,
       I live in NZ and travel to Aus quite frequently and have not experienced any racial descrimination. Aus is a good country to settle and the wages are better than others as well. I am moving because most of my family is in Canada and US but still I am going alone first and I will give it a year to see if I can get a decent job or not. Wife and daughter are not keen to move untill I get a job. I migrated to NZ from India 10 years ago and had a tough first year reagrding job and finances and expect to be similar case in Canada as well as most of the countries wants you to have the local experience.
        I am glad to know that you are already in Calgary. What is Calgary like as compare to Toronto ( Weather and job situation). I work for Commercial Fire & General Insurance and would be looking for a job in that field. How much income you need for a family of three to live comfortably?
       Please advise how much time it took to get your PR card after you arrived in Canada.

Thanks
Mike

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 6:14pm
hi mike, when we landed in december it took 4 weeks for my PR card to arrive. my hubby got a letter saying he needs an 'interview' because of the photo - presumably its not to specifications and need to take another. this letter took 7 weeks to arrive and unfortuantely we cant get the pr card as we arent in canada will probably go there in about 1 year and get a card for my hubby. they seem to be terribly fussy about the photo and i have no idea why his photo wasnt accepted...

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 1:46am
Hi Bigburp,
         Just wondering how would you enter Canada without your PR card.
Mike

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2010 at 5:20pm
if you dont need a visa to visit canada, e.g. Aus pport, you can get away with no pr card and no reentry visa. you just need to prove your pr status.

if you have a pport which requires a visa to enter canada, e.g. india, then you need to get a resident return visa from your closest canadian consulate/embassy

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 2:12am
Hi Bigburp,
     Is this information on Immigration website. I hold NZ passport so it could benefit me as well.
     Do you have any tips for new immigrats to be aware of before landing in canada.
Mike

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 5:46am
im not sure if its on the cic website. but when i landed i was told this by thde border officer. its also documented on wikipedia and others have also been told the same thing. since you hold an nz pport and dont require a visa to enter canada, you wont have trouble boarding the plane but should bring proof of perm. residence status when u see the officer for entry to canada

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 3:09am
Thanks Big Burp. Please share your experience about Job Search in Canada.
Mike

Date Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 5:52pm
mike, im not currently in canada nor tried getting a job there since getting pr. ive got a 12 mth work contract here in aus starting soon so we will be moving to canada mid next yr (probably may). im sure others have tried getting a job and can share their experiences

Posted By: jakeblack
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 5:28pm
hey big burp, so once you have pr card you can leave CA and come back whenever you want without loosing your status??

Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 5:35pm
jakeblack, all PR's need to fulfil the residency requirement of living in canada for a period of 2 years in a 5 year period. once you have pr card its easy to travel to/from canada as you dont need a visa and its proof of pr status, but still need to fulfil residency requirement

Posted By: koolchamp81
Date Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 9:36pm
Hello everyone..
I have FSW application in 2007 under Simplified Application Process(SAP) to Sydney office in Australia..
AOR -                                      May 2007
and documents request-        Jan 2010
documents sent                     March 2010..
I just wana know after how long they start processing on the application like background check, experience verification and things like that... how much time they take normally to process the application.. n when will they ask for Police clearance since they havent asked for it yet... is it after the background and experience check...
any feedback plz..
Thanks
all the best to all

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 6:39pm
Hi Koolchamp81,
           I got my PR from Sydney office. I got request for medicals after two months of sending documents. So I beleive if documents are in order, it should be similar timeframe.
Mike

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 8:17pm
thanks very much for reply... so that means they do all the verification in about 2 months...
cheers

Posted By: aussies5
Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 2:24am
Hi koolchamp
I am a FSW applicant (reside in Perth now)and we sent in our full docs to Sydney NSW mid Nov 2010 and have not received request to any further info.  We had to send in our Police clearance certificates at that time.  I suppose the next step will be request for meds.  We have been instructed by letter from Sydney that if we havent heard from them in 6 months from the date of our full submission of docs then we should contact them.  We will email or call accordingly in May if we still havent heard.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 10:05pm
Hi Mike69,

I sent my full visa application to CHC Sydney, Australia on 4 March and my status as of 6 April shows that visa office has recieved my full application. I would greatly appreciate if you can share with us your timelines from the time of submission of full application to the granting of PR.

thanks a lot 

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 11:04pm
dear guys if you dont mind could you tell me the reason of leaving australia and migrating to canada? consultants in india allures clients for australia more then canada. australia offers students visas in the catagories unimaginabe to me. if it is so easy to live in australia then why you guys are waiting in the que for canada?australia is very advance nation too.

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 11:29pm

dear guys if you dont mind could you tell me the reason of leaving australia and migrating to canada? consultants in india allures clients for australia more then canada. australia offers students visas in the catagories unimaginabe to me. if it is so easy to live in australia then why you guys are waiting in the que for canada?australia is very advance nation too.

lolz... its like that...22 jithe marzi chale jao , tika te fer v ni aauna...lolz..i hope u understant this language..

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 11:38pm
mein vi punjabi haan. but i didnt get reply of my query.
Originally posted by koolchamp81 koolchamp81 wrote:

<div ="msg">
   lolz... its like that...22 jithe marzi chale jao , tika te fer v ni
aauna...lolz..i hope u understant this language..

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 4:36am
Hi sjaffer,
        I applied in Oct 2006. Documents request in Feb 2009. Second documents request and finally third  in April 2009 as my previous proof of funds was not acceptable. Medical Request in June 2009. Send medicals in July. Passport request in August and got my PR in August which is valid untill July 17 2010. I have booked for July 7 to Vancouver as I have things to sort out.
       I think we need to make sure our documents are in order. I had sent my  fixed deposits as proof of funds but they asked me for last six months statement and later more explanation but I beleive they need to do this to make sure someone is not borrowing the money to show these funds. So in short send as much proof as possible. Possibly send a letter explaining the accounts as they might interpret differently. My initial documentation for proof of funds was just fixed deposits but then they asked for a/c statements as well and you should explain the statements if they involve Home Loan accounts as well, as was in my case.
      I found Sydney office very polite to deal with. I had only dealt with them through emails but they answered my queries promptly and fully. I actually feel Sydney Office is very efficient after reading about other offices.

Mike

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 7:08am
Thanks Mike69. From what it appears from your email, Sydney appears to  be finalising the cases within 4-6 months if everything is in order. That's good.
For proof of funds, i have sent them my bank statement showing the required amount of funds in my checking account, the original a/c statement being stamped by the bank. Nothing complicated really that would be hard for them to understand.

thanks a lot again.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 6:39am
thanks guys for sharing experiences and timelines. i also think cic sydney are very polite and good to deal with. if i remember correctly we received PPR around 6 mths after the update request

Posted By: sarangv
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 10:14am
Hi Guys,

I applied for Skilled visa in Feb 2007 and last year they asked me to hand in the documentation.. I have not heard anything since.. What could be happening?? Any timeframes?

Thanks

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 12:54am
when was your request for documents?
ive been waiting 33 months now and i still have not got a request for documents, but im just hoping it comes b4 the 36 month mark as that was the time they said my app would be processed in...

Posted By: sarangv
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 9:35am
I sent my doco november 2008 as far as I can remember but still no reply.. I hope I have some movement soon..

Normally by 33 months they should have asked you for something .. hopefully they will ask for it soon and you only have three months to reply.. Just make sure you include more than what they have asked for otherwise it may delay if they are not satisfied.

Posted By: Ekonkar
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 4:52pm
Hi Jakeblack,
I am also in the same boat waiting since 32 months and havent heard anythinh yet. You are right I am also expecting some movement during 36 months mark. By the way I recieved my AOR in Sep 2007.
Anyway please keep  in touch guys. and goodlook to all
Cheers

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 6:20pm
Hi Everyone,
        Any new landing experiences. Have not seen new post for a while. I am waiting for July and getting bit nervous about job situation.
Mike

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 6:55pm
i am still waiting for july as well which will mark 36 months waiting and still no request for documents.

Date Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 8:19pm
mike, i havent heard of any new landing experiences from ppl who applied from sydney. why you getting nervous about the job situation? isnt it starting to pick up in canada now?
im in the process of looking for some study for my hubby to do when we go to canada next year. lots of comunity colleges all over but they seem to specialise which is good. it also appears that some have an intake just in august/september and some have another intake mid year in jan

jakeblack, hope that you hear something from cic sydney soon...july isnt that far away anymore!

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 4:12am
Hi Big Burp,
       I am from insurance industry and I found out that my Australian qualification is not recognised and I have to start afresh and their startup salaries seems to be pretty low. I need to see if their are
other temp jobs which can get a good wage rate.
Mike

Posted By: Alan
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 6:47am
Hi all,

Have not been in the forum lately. Anyway, submitted the required documents in March and waiting for Medical.

Jakeblack, I think they have asked applicants till June 2007 to submit document. As you applied after June 2007, probably they will ask you soon to submit documents.

Mike69, thanks for sharing your information and good luck in finding jobs.

I would be very grateful if any one can provide me information regarding police certificate. I lived in the USA from August 2003 to June 2004. So, I will have to submit Police Certificate from the USA. I already collected the certificate in June 2008. After coming back from the USA in June 2004 I have not visited the USA again. So, my question is whether can I use the police certificate I already collected?

Alan

Date Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 7:28pm
thanks everyone but it feel like they will drag out everyones waiting times even more than 2006 applicants, waiting 3 yrs and still no request for documents, so what by the time we get our visas another year after the 36 month period so what its taking 48 months now to get a visa, anyway im sure once the request for documents come and we see what happens with jan-mar 2007 applicants we can guage a timeline but from now no 2007 appllicants know how long we will have to wait..

Posted By: Ekonkar
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2010 at 8:53pm

Yes I know guys this is very painful process waiting and waiting without any light on the other end of the tunnel. Anyway Jakeblack I think th e time has almost arrive for you to recieve  brown envelope (fingures crossed)

Alan I think your exisiting PCC should be enough..as you lived less then a month in USA. Bye the way how you will compare Canada with USA in terms of social life, job opportunities, lifesyle, pay scale, job security, climate, security, and Tech Gadgets Smile(as Aus and canada is still waiting for launch of iPAD)
Anyway good luck guys, we are nearly there...keep spirits up Wink

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 12:46am
Yes, the 2007 applicants have been waiting  for a long time and God knows when it will end. But to my view, something will happen for 2007 applicants this year.

Ekonkar, I actually lived in the USA for about a year from August 2003 to June 2004. I have collected Police Certificate for that period in 2008 and I never visited the USA after June 2004. My concern is whether that Police Certificate will do or not.

I can't actually compare the USA with Canada as I had never been to Canada. Each country has its advantages and disadvantages and one will have to compare them from one's own perspective.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 6:14pm
mike, shame they dont recognise your aus qualification - do look into if they will give u credit for anything done in aus. yes i also notice in canada that starting wages are low but once you move up the ranks a little bit wages seem to be similar to aus

everyone else, be patient. its a long slow road now that priority is given to new applicants. i got my request for documents at the timeframe written on my AOR. It then took another 10 mths or so to get the visa, so it will take time.

i agree with alans comments that everyone has to compare canada with aus/usa with their own situation in mind. personally when we went on holiday to nyc, san fran and canada, we hated us and loved canada. so many homeless ppl in usa esp. in california these days. the canadian people are also the best...love them to bits and so much better than aus ppl. (no offence anyone). for us they also offer good education for my hubby in sth he is interested in and doesnt take forever - which is a big plus. the cost of housing is also much more affordable (except for vancouver where prices seem to be like sydney prices a few yrs ago). we also found transport/infrastructure was much better than in aus in the cities where we went, e.g. metro runs every 2-3 mins (while in sydney u struggle to get a train to a major station in less than 10 mins during peak hour) and the highways are like european style highways instead of sh*t quality 'main roads' - thats my two cents...everyone has their own opinion

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 6:27pm
FYI from the other 2007 Sydney SAP applicant thread:

have just joined and thought I would share the information I got from CHC Sydney today ...

Processing Times for Skilled Worker Applications submitted before 27 February 2008:  Since the implementation of C50 and the Ministerial Instructions, which took effect on February 27, 2008, Skilled Worker applications submitted before this date will now face lengthened processing times. At this stage, visa officers are reviewing files received in:  JANUARY 2007.

We applied in February 2007 - so fingers crossed we might hear something in the foreseeable future.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 12:33am
hey big burp it seems the sydney office is saying they are processing jan 2007 apps but we know from this forum that people have submitted docs who are april-may applicants... not sure what to think as 2006 apps were usually given there visas around 8-10 months after there 24 month time line was expired. its seems that its hard to guage any real timeline all i hope is that they dont delay 2007  apps after our 36month time line for more than 10 months as they have given priority to the new applicants...

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 1:11am
Hi big burp,

I just wanted to know one thing, I lived in the USA from August 2003 to June 2004 (10 months). I collected the police certificate from both the NY police department and FBI in June 2008 for the period I spent in the USA. After June 2004, I have not visited the USA. My concern is whether that police certificate will do or not. My understanding is that I will have to submit current police certificate from the country where I am currently living. I will be happy if you kindly comment on that.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 1:52am
alan, i had to get another german police certificate when updating my file. i had not been to germany between applying and the update, so i presume they asked for it because it was past the 'valid' date. i mean you can take your chance and not get one and they may not ask, but in my case they asked for an updated german police certificate despite not going to germany since the application. i would imagine they will ask for an updated us police certificate is it hard to get from aus?

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:55am
Smile

Print Page | Close Window