Print Page | Close Window

ATIP REQUESTS - Instructions and Insights

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Canadian Citizenship
Forum Description: Commentaries outlining important issues in acquiring Canadian citizenship through naturalization
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16379
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 1:17am

Topic: ATIP REQUESTS - Instructions and Insights
Posted By: canuck25
Subject: ATIP REQUESTS - Instructions and Insights
Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:44pm
I have been meaning for a while to create a topic that outlines the process of making ATIP requests and highlights the benefits and drawbacks of this practice. For starters, some vocabulary:

ATIP - Access to Information and Access to Privacy Acts which include provisions that enable individual to request government records, and in case of many citizenship applicants - copies of their immigration and citizenship files.

GCMS - Global Case Management System - a portal used internally by CIC to track case progress of each file. This is also referred to in CIC documentation as electronic files.

Electronic Files - record of each application's progress as documented in CIC's internal Global Case Management System.

Paper Files - refers to copies of the actual paper application/binder that constitutes one's application, including all information submitted initially and subsequently (such as RQ responses).

Process Overview
In many cases, when there has not been an update on your application, you may want to request a copy of your case progress report. You have two routes to take in doing so - requesting via the Access to Information or the Access to Privacy Acts. The key difference is that requests made under Access to Information Act can apply to either individual files, or some other government information you may want to access. Making requests under the Access to Information option will also cost you $5.00. If you are making a request only for your own information then pick the Access to Privacy Act option.

Submitting your request
1. To make an ATIP request please visit: <a href="https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/">https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/</a>

2. Once you consent to the privacy notice, make sure you select and fill in appropriate information. The last question on page 1 of the form will ask you how you would like to receive your files. You have two options: by email to the email address you provided, or on a CD delivered to your specified address. This is purely a matter of preference.

3. The following page will ask you to select the Act under which you are making a request: Privacy Act (if requesting info about your own case) or Information Act (if requesting any other type of CIC related information).

4. When asked "Which Types of Records Do You Wish To Request" select case files.

Physical Files or Electronic Files?
The last question on this page will ask you "What Type of Information Would You Like To Request?". You have two options: notes in electronic file or physical file. As mentioned in the definitions above, the physical file will be a scanned copy of your physical application and any other correspondence that may have been exchanged between you and the CIC - it's the actual binder that is sitting in CIC's files waiting to be processed. As such, it likely won't show you much new information and may somewhat delay processing since the file needs to be taken out of the queue, scanned and put back.

For most folks getting the notes in the electronic file is likely the most satisfying option since it will show your file's progress and any notes that may have been entered by CIC staff.

Once you make your selections and submit your request, it should take anywhere between 4-6 weeks for the information to arrive either in your mailbox or inbox.

Repercussions
From what we have seen, there have not been any procedural drawbacks or repercussions to ordering one's own case notes or physical file copies. The only drawback I can think of is the slight delay in that scanning a physical file may add to the processing of an application that otherwise is on a fast-track or within the prescribed normal processing times.

For those who have received RQs, getting copies of these files is almost crucial - to understand exactly what is going on with the application and to further prepare for meetings with judges or other legal proceedings.

It's worth noting that in some cases making a request for copies of your physical file can stir CIC into action, as was the case with one member's application on this forum (can't remember who), who made the request and as a result of having to touch her file the CIC realized that it was in the wrong pile.

Replies:
Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:45pm
I reposted this topic as a new thread with some corrections since I was previously unable to edit my own posts and wanted to address some typos.

Date Posted: 12 May 2014 at 12:30pm
I wonder if CIC is purposely staggering release of processed ATIP requests. I submitted one in late March and when it did not arrive 30 days later reached out to CIC's ATIP section by email. I received a reply that indicated that the request was actually processed in week 3 following my submission, but the file was not sent out for some reason. The person replying to me said that he put in a note to have the file sent out "in the order of priority." I have since contacted CIC's ATIP line twice to inquire on the status of the file and there have been on subsequent replies - my request is now in its 7th week...

Has anyone had similar experiences with requesting electronic files?

Posted By: daktrader
Date Posted: 12 May 2014 at 12:42pm
I had the same issue in Feb...not aware of the note on my file
It took them 9 weeks in my case to deliver my ATIP.
I think the CIC has been flooded with ATIP requests; that could trigger the delay

Originally posted by canuck25 canuck25 wrote:

I wonder if CIC is purposely staggering release of processed ATIP requests. I submitted one in late March and when it did not arrive 30 days later reached out to CIC's ATIP section by email. I received a reply that indicated that the request was actually processed in week 3 following my submission, but the file was not sent out for some reason. The person replying to me said that he put in a note to have the file sent out "in the order of priority." I have since contacted CIC's ATIP line twice to inquire on the status of the file and there have been on subsequent replies - my request is now in its 7th week...

-------------
Landed: August, 2005
Applied: Feb 2010
Test: Jan 2011
RQ Received: Feb 2011
RQ Submitted: March 2011
Total Waiting Time: 52 months
Office: St-Claire

Posted By: pmm
Date Posted: 12 May 2014 at 1:57pm
Hi

Originally posted by daktrader daktrader wrote:

I had the same issue in Feb...not aware of the note on my file
It took them 9 weeks in my case to deliver my ATIP.
I think the CIC has been flooded with ATIP requests; that could trigger the delay

1. Remember they aren't just printed and mailed/sent. They have to be reviewed and any third party information deleted.

-------------
PMM

Posted By: cool_alex
Date Posted: 13 May 2014 at 11:20am
Are there examples of what information exactly can be obtained via electronic or scanned records? What value do they add to the fairly useless status updates on the CIC website and how easy their records are to decipher for ordinary mortals?

Date Posted: 13 May 2014 at 11:28am
Originally posted by cool_alex cool_alex wrote:

Are there examples of what information exactly can be obtained via electronic or scanned records? What value do they add to the fairly useless status updates on the CIC website and how easy their records are to decipher for ordinary mortals?

Scanned records won't offer much insight at all - at the end of the day it's simply a scanned version of every single paper document contained in your citizenship application.

Electronic records can be of some value since they show the sequence of steps your application needs to transition through before it is approved/referred to the judge. The value of the electronic files is in that it show exactly what has been done on your file and what is yet remains to be completed. For those waiting with an RQ it can also be valuable in showing exactly the last time the file was worked on - a piece of information that can be useful to those who are considering taking legal steps with respect to the delay of their application.

Date Posted: 13 May 2014 at 11:37am

Electronic records can be of some value since they show the sequence of steps your application needs to transition through before it is approved/referred to the judge. The value of the electronic files is in that it show exactly what has been done on your file and what is yet remains to be completed. For those waiting with an RQ it can also be valuable in showing exactly the last time the file was worked on - a piece of information that can be useful to those who are considering taking legal steps with respect to the delay of their application.

Are there examples of electronic ATIP records available for review (wanted to make sure I can understand/interpret these)?

Date Posted: 13 May 2014 at 12:55pm

Are there examples of electronic ATIP records available for review (wanted to make sure I can understand/interpret these)?

Here's an outline of what's included in your electronic files:
<a href="http://www.gcmsnotes.com/Sample_GCMS_File.pdf" rel="nofollow">http://www.gcmsnotes.com/Sample_GCMS_File.pdf</a>

Posted By: fox
Date Posted: 13 May 2014 at 1:06pm

Here's an outline of what's included in your electronic files:
http://www.gcmsnotes.com/Sample_GCMS_File.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://www.gcmsnotes.com/Sample_GCMS_File.pdf

for ATIP...is it something you can request by your own or its a request from CIC? 
And how long does it take to get one?

Thanks

Date Posted: 13 May 2014 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by fox fox wrote:

for ATIP...is it something you can request by your own or its a request from CIC? 
And how long does it take to get one?

Thanks

You should read the first post of this thread, which will answer your questions.

Posted By: montrealia
Date Posted: 13 May 2014 at 3:36pm

Scanned records won't offer much insight at all - at the end of the day it's simply a scanned version of every single paper document contained in your citizenship application.

To add to what canuck25 is saying, electronic records are also useful to pose precise questions to the call center and avoid misunderstandings. In principle the call center should give you the same information as in the electronic records, but as you see, the information is complex and more often than not, call center employees get lost in the status of the file, giving seemingly random answers. You can take your time to look at these records and understand it better than the call center employees, and then call and ask precise questions to get updates. 

Another route that some people adopt is to avoid the call center as much as possible and keep ordering new electronic notes via ATIP periodically.

-------------
Office: Guess!!!
Received: 25 May 2011
In Process: 26 Jun 2012
pre-test RQ submitted: 03 Aug 2012
PR card renewed: June-Sept 2013, no issues
Test: 26 March 2014
Oath: 7 August 2014

Date Posted: 13 May 2014 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by montrealia montrealia wrote:

To add to what canuck25 is saying, electronic records are also useful to pose precise questions to the call center and avoid misunderstandings. In principle the call center should give you the same information as in the electronic records, but as you see, the information is complex and more often than not, call center employees get lost in the status of the file, giving seemingly random answers. You can take your time to look at these records and understand it better than the call center employees, and then call and ask precise questions to get updates. 

Another route that some people adopt is to avoid the call center as much as possible and keep ordering new electronic notes via ATIP periodically.

Some of the entries in the sample record shared here are less than obvious and I am having doubts I'd be able to make sense of them. Are there any cheat-sheets helping to interpret the ATIP records?

Date Posted: 13 May 2014 at 4:06pm

Some of the entries in the sample record shared here are less than obvious and I am having doubts I'd be able to make sense of them. Are there any cheat-sheets helping to interpret the ATIP records?

I agree that it's not always possible to understand everything that is written in the electronic files. It's a little like a detective's work. However:

1) It's easier to understand your own files than other people's files, since you have an idea of the dates and what to expect.

2) There are threads in this and other forums where people discuss particular points that can help you understand your files further.

My advice is, if you have an concern regarding your case, order the electronic files (they are either free or 5 dollars!) and then, once you have them, you may worry about what you can and can't understand.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 May 2014 at 4:17pm
Here's a thread with discussions regarding understanding ATIP reports

https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11303&PN=1&title=understanding-atip-report

-------------

Date Posted: 14 May 2014 at 11:20am
Just received my electronic files requested via ATIP about 5 weeks ago. In short - no change at all on my file. It was previously reviewed in July of last year under "OB 407 triage" to see if RQ can be lifted and the decision was to leave it in the queue for assessment. For some reason they re-triaged it again in December - 6 months later - and the decision was made - again - to let it sit in the queue. Aside from that - an officer still has not been assigned to assess it. I am a 2011 applicant. Will reach my 36 months in a matter of days.

Soon it will be almost 2 years since I mailed in my RQ response and there has been absolutely no movement on the file since.

Posted By: daktrader
Date Posted: 14 May 2014 at 11:33am
Are you thinking of filing "Mandamus"?

Just received my electronic files requested via ATIP about 5 weeks ago. In short - no change at all on my file. It was previously reviewed in July of last year under "OB 407 triage" to see if RQ can be lifted and the decision was to leave it in the queue for assessment. For some reason they re-triaged it again in December - 6 months later - and the decision was made - again - to let it sit in the queue. Aside from that - an officer still has not been assigned to assess it. I am a 2011 applicant. Will reach my 36 months in a matter of days.

-------------
Landed: August, 2005
Applied: Feb 2010
Test: Jan 2011
RQ Received: Feb 2011
RQ Submitted: March 2011
Total Waiting Time: 52 months
Office: St-Claire

Date Posted: 14 May 2014 at 2:27pm
Not considering it at this point.

Posted By: mini_k
Date Posted: 29 May 2014 at 3:09pm

Hi Canuck25,

Have you had your test yet?

Date Posted: 29 May 2014 at 3:45pm
I applied in June 2011, took my test in June 2012 and received RQ at test time. I passed the test, submitted an RQ response in July 2012 and have not heard anything, nor has there been any progress on the file since then based on what I could ascertain from my ATIP requests.

Date Posted: 29 May 2014 at 11:20pm
There were a number of RQ-related posts here that had no connection to the issue of ATIP requests. In the interest of preserving them within the context of RQ-related items, they have been moved to the "RQ Discussions" topic.

Posted By: torontob
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 3:13pm

Similar experience since last year. They are waiting exactly 30 days to respond. I also had one not receive in 45 days and then an apology from them saying they lost it.

This and the blanket RQ to everyone shows that this government wanted a big pile to run the agenda for bill C-24. They indeed created this mess and then tell people this is a broken system.

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 4:53pm

Same here: electronic record generated on the date of receiving the request, but was withheld for 3.5 weeks before communicating.

Posted By: torontob
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 6:13pm

Same here: electronic record generated on the date of receiving the request, but was withheld for 3.5 weeks before communicating.

So what tools do the commons have at their disposal against bureaucrats in situations like this?

Posted By: sagafemina
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 8:26pm
I filed an ATIP on another matter (CRA misinterpretation of their own rules).  It cost me $5. 

Because they are statutorily required to respond within 30 days I received not one, but two couriered letters explaining that they needed additional time and were entitled to it in certain circumstances. 

Total costs to taxpayers in courier fees alone about $20. 

Isn't CIC held to the same requirements?  It doesn't sound like it from moderator's posts. 

(Incidentally, the final reply was totally non-responsive to the question posed.  But by then I had concluded that the intelligence and educational level of respondents was not worth my time to respond.)

-------------
App rec'd 29 Dec 2010
Prcs 21 Nov 2011
Vic->BCIS 1 Feb 2012
Doc id, RQ issued 24 Apr 2013
60 hr, 158p, $70 RQ 23 Jun 13
ATIP 6/30: Cit grant 4 Jul 14
eCas 1st update 9/23 since Mar 13
Oath 10/14/14

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2014 at 10:49pm
Hi

Originally posted by torontob torontob wrote:

So what tools do the commons have at their disposal against bureaucrats in situations like this?

The information may have been printed off CGMS,which is done when the request is received, but it still has to be reviewed by a Privacy officer before it can be released.

-------------
PMM

Posted By: m_r_mtl
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 4:45pm
My question might look stupid, but I ordered ATIP and it never charged the 5$ fee. Is there any free version?!

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 5:17pm
Hi

Originally posted by m_r_mtl m_r_mtl wrote:

My question might look stupid, but I ordered ATIP and it never charged the 5$ fee. Is there any free version?!

IF you are in Canada and requesting your own information under the privacy act, there is no charge.

-------------
PMM

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 4:30pm
However, if you accidentally order the paid version for yourself they will happily accept your money!
(As I know, having just done so...) 

-------------
App rec'd 29 Dec 2010
Prcs 21 Nov 2011
Vic->BCIS 1 Feb 2012
Oath 10/14/14

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 4:48pm
Now, it appears that there could be some benefit to applying for the full file, and some potential for drawbacks...

I ordered both the summary and the full file on 6/30.  Summary arrived about 7/31 and didn't contain much info I didn't know. 

The full file arrived last week.  I was VERY worried that perhaps this request had removed it from the pile of files waiting to be processed, as I was told 8 months ago that everything was in order and I was just waiting for the oath.   And I believed others on this list that the full file really wasn't very helpful. 

However, in MY case at least it has been very helpful.  Although about 5 pages were redacted, and the file was incredibly large due to my extensive RQ response, it did contain a document, CIT 0065, "Citizenship Application Review" which shows that on 7/3/14, 4 days after my online request, the file went before a judge and was approved. 

Who knows whether my asking somehow prompted this review, or whether it was just luck that the judge saw it before they pulled it for copying; but at any rate, I'M IN!  This happened 14 mos after RQ was issued, 41 mos after application, 2 weeks after I asked my MP to inquire/intervene, and 16+ years after arrival in Canada. 

My advice is, if you have been in the long haul process (for example, a year since RQ), specify that you need to see only this form CIT 0065, "Citizenship Application Review", which was clearly generated on the day I was given the RQ and which contains the most crucial piece of information. 

My eCas file still says "in process" and doesn't even say the RQ was ever received. 

-------------
App rec'd 29 Dec 2010
Prcs 21 Nov 2011
Vic->BCIS 1 Feb 2012
Oath 10/14/14

Posted By: scorpio123
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 8:37pm
hi,

i have submitted an ATIP request, but did not attach documents which they ask at the last page, is this ok?

appreciate a reply..

thanks,

-------------
T.M.K.

Posted By: sunny2014
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 9:56am
Hi, 

I got my Physical file and it only has my original application and the doc.i submitted with the original application. Nothing else, not even the filled RQ application and doc.submitted with RQ. Is this what everyone gets ?

There are no notes on my application.Ouch

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 11:29am
Originally posted by sunny2014 sunny2014 wrote:

Hi, 

I got my Physical file and it only has my original application and the doc.i submitted with the original application. Nothing else, not even the filled RQ application and doc.submitted with RQ. Is this what everyone gets ?

I think most people get electronic files.

That said, you should have got a copy of your RQ submission. You may want to follow up on this with the complaint form that they sent you in the ATIP.

-------------

Posted By: scorpio123
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 7:15pm
thanks for the reply canuck25, how long it takes usually to get the electronic files by email?

It says on the web site 30 days from submitting the request but I have been told it might take longer..anybody with similar situation?

-------------
T.M.K.

Posted By: canvis2006
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 2:49pm
I ordered ATIP(gcms) on July 19th, status request reply from them says request was due on Aug 20th.
Email said they did not know when my ATIP request would be completed.

Still nothing....wait goes on....currently at 36 days.

Is there anyone else over 30 days and waiting for their notes?

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by canvis2006 canvis2006 wrote:

Is there anyone else over 30 days and waiting for their notes?

Yes, my one page notes took exactly 30 days and my full file (via emailed PDF) took about 40.  However, the latter contained the good news of my grant, while the former was not helpful at all except to prove that whoever reads the letters at CIC cannot read the word "April" (they read "August")...

Now, if you requested mailed paper documents, and especially if voluminous (or they spend a lot of time redacting the good parts), it could be longer. 

-------------
App rec'd 29 Dec 2010
Prcs 21 Nov 2011
Vic->BCIS 1 Feb 2012
Oath 10/14/14

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 7:46pm

Hi, 

How long ago did you return your RQ?  Is there a  notation anywhere that the RQ has been matched to the file?  If not, then either they did not receive the RQ or it has not yet been incorporated into your file.  This process can take months. 

Did you send your RQ by a traceable route or with signature required?  If not, surely hope you kept a copy.  Some people have been asked to reproduce the whole packet when presumably the original was misplaced. 

There may be lines or whole pages redacted which might explain why no notes.  They don't typically make notations on your application itself. 

Is there a form CIT0065? 

You are a fairly new member.  It may be just too early for anything to register on your file as yet.  Don't despair.  Try again in 6 months...

-------------
App rec'd 29 Dec 2010
Prcs 21 Nov 2011
Vic->BCIS 1 Feb 2012
Oath 10/14/14

Posted By: greeen
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 8:47am
Originally posted by sagafemina sagafemina wrote:

Hi, 

How long ago did you return your RQ?  Is there a  notation anywhere that the RQ has been matched to the file?  If not, then either they did not receive the RQ or it has not yet been incorporated into your file.  This process can take months. 

Did you send your RQ by a traceable route or with signature required?  If not, surely hope you kept a copy.  Some people have been asked to reproduce the whole packet when presumably the original was misplaced. 

There may be lines or whole pages redacted which might explain why no notes.  They don't typically make notations on your application itself. 

Is there a form CIT0065? 

You are a fairly new member.  It may be just too early for anything to register on your file as yet.  Don't despair.  Try again in 6 months...

Hi sagafemina,
I would appreciate your comments on this: My last month ATIP indicated form CIT0065B022008 and the Batch Name field: Miss_Records. This month ATIP report does not has both CIT0065B02200 Miss_Records and the Batch Name field is blank. What do you think????

Thanks

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 9:40am
Hi sagafemina- Sorry it's the way around. Last month ATIP did not had the form CIT0065B022008 and the Batch Name field: Miss_Records  BUT this month ATIP has them. Does that indicate that my 2012 RQ is being reviewed or any thing??? Thank you for the input.

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 11:48am
I'm no expert on these things, just reported based on my experience.  I would have been very concerned about anying suggesting Miss(inG) records! 

BUt I would think that having the form CIT0065etc form does mean that someone is working on your files, as this is where they will list the final approval.  So probably it DOES mean that your RQ is in process!

-------------
App rec'd 29 Dec 2010
Prcs 21 Nov 2011
Vic->BCIS 1 Feb 2012
Oath 10/14/14

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 12:51pm
Thanks sagafemina. Don't worry we all became experts on this. Thank you for your input and this what I thought. 

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2014 at 11:31am
Hi sagafemina,
I know that each case is different but just to speculate here. For your case and from looking at the dates how long it took from CIC start working on your CIT0065 till the approval. I believe from your electronic file you can tell the date. If you don't feel OK to reveal this info then I understand. Thanks

Posted By: dpenabill
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 10:35am

Request for help composing and making a customized request for copy of the FPAT:

A recent report indicates, for a particular applicant (not me obviously, since I have been a citizen for approaching a year already), that the FPAT has been completed. The FPAT is the long-form CJ referral for a residency case. The template or what it contains is not publicly available. However, since it is the referral, since it will go to the CJ (this is in reference to a case which appears to be headed for a CJ residency hearing) and an applicant should be entitled to a copy of everything the CJ considers, the applicant should be able to obtain a copy of this . . . and anything and everything else to be sent to the CJ for the CJ to consider.

The question is how to do a customized Access to Information request which gets past CIC's generic response, which so far as I have yet to see is merely a GCMS query-based report plus, if requested, physical files.

While I suspect that CIC will resist providing a copy of the completed FPAT, this is such important information it is almost certainly worth challenging.

But a properly made customized request is the necessary first step. So if anyone has any experience in doing this, or otherwise has insight into how to go about this, I know of at least one individual who would be grateful for the information.

Note: in the past this did not seem feasible, because it appeared there was a narrow window of time between when the referral was completed and the CJ hearing was scheduled, not enough time to make the request and get the information even if one knew when the referral was completed, let alone enough time to challenge CIC if it declined to disclose this information (which I suspect it will). In the case I am somewhat familiar with, however, a generic ATIP request response indicates that the FPAT is completed. Still no hearing has been scheduled. This seems to be a prime opportunity to make the formal written request for a copy of the specific referral in this individual's case. Of course if this individual then shares, in this or another forum, some information about the FPAT in general that would be invaluable information for many, many others who have a high risk of going to a CJ residency hearing.

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration

Posted By: obryan20
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 2:18pm
Hi all

An ATIP request to CIC (GCMS notes) requires proof that one is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. For the latter, can the "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" (IMM 5688) document duly signed and dated upon completing the landing procedure be used as proof in lieu of a Permanent Residence Card?  

-------------
FSW1 NOC 1111
App: 21-May-14
Visa: 29-Oct-14
PR: 7-Jan-15

<a href="https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10955&title=jamaican-cases-questions-answers-advice" rel="nofollow">FAQ</a>

Posted By: ski
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 7:30pm
Yes that should be sufficient.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 10:18pm
Ok, thanks for your response.

-------------
FSW1 NOC 1111

<a href="https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10955&title=jamaican-cases-questions-answers-advice" rel="nofollow">FAQ</a>

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 9:30am
Originally posted by obryan20 obryan20 wrote:

Hi all

An ATIP request to CIC (GCMS notes) requires proof that one is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. For the latter, can the "Confirmation of Permanent Residence" (IMM 5688) document duly signed and dated upon completing the landing procedure be used as proof in lieu of a Permanent Residence Card?  

I am not sure I understand your questions. I never needed to submit a copy of any documents when making requests for GCMS notes via ATIP. Has the procedure changed recently?

Posted By: dpenabill
Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 11:37am
Is there no one who has any experience with or insight into a customized request that would obtain information/documentation beyond the GCMS query-based report and physical files?

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 1:18pm

Originally posted by obryan20 obryan20 wrote:

Hi all

I am not sure I understand your questions. I never needed to submit a copy of any documents when making requests for GCMS notes via ATIP. Has the procedure changed recently?

At the link:  http://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do?lang=en" rel="nofollow - https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do?lang=en , under the Top questions - "What do I need to submit a request online?" it notes that the following proof needs to be submitted online: "A proof of your status as a permanent resident, such as a copy of your permanent resident card". My query related to using the scanned signed COPR instead of a scanned PR card.

Have you requested using this system, not provided any proof and still got a response?

-------------
FSW1 NOC 1111

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 5:52pm
I had made many such requests using the Privacy Act and never submitted any supporting documentation other than personal and biographical information that must be provided in the form itself. I never had an ATIP request that was refused for this reason simply because the CIC can easily verify that all the information you are submitting is in fact about yourself.

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 8:30pm

I had made many such requests using the Privacy Act and never submitted any supporting documentation other than personal and biographical information that must be provided in the form itself. I never had an ATIP request that was refused for this reason simply because the CIC can easily verify that all the information you are submitting is in fact about yourself.

Thanks for the clarification. That is good to know Smile. I was thinking the same thing but wanted to ensure everything requested by the form was provided to prevent any issues. At least now I can do that going forward.

-------------
FSW1 NOC 1111

Posted By: batmann
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 5:16pm

Thanks for all the information. 

I just sent an ATIP Request to CIC for my citizenship application. It shows that will be processed within 30 calendar days from the date of receipt. I chose the free one. Just wondering what is the difference between the free one and the $5.00 one? Will receive the same information on my file?

Thank you.

Posted By: ski
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 5:49pm
I think the $5.00 is in cases when you are asking for information not about yourself (e. g. general government data).

If you are asking for data about yourself (or your dependants), then ask for it for free.

The contents will be the same as long as the request is the same.

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by ski ski wrote:

I think the $5.00 is in cases when you are asking for information not about yourself (e. g. general government data).

If you are asking for data about yourself (or your dependants), then ask for it for free.

The contents will be the same as long as the request is the same.

Thanks ski.

Posted By: Harrikon
Date Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 9:34am
Hey everyone! I am trying to make a new spreadsheet to record processing time frames for 2011-2013 applicants still left in the system.

Here is my idea

I have created a form:
http://%20docs.google.com/forms/d/10lO38P3fl9FsPuCJAMbTiJP--cv_xvNsH_WW5F_af6Q/viewform" rel="nofollow -  

http://docs.google.com/forms/d/10lO38P3fl9FsPuCJAMbTiJP--cv_xvNsH_WW5F_af6Q/viewform" rel="nofollow - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10lO38P3fl9FsPuCJAMbTiJP--cv_xvNsH_WW5F_af6Q/viewform

Which links to this spreadsheet:
http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EWZJGzEfNLgq69iXA3rDdNjif_hauzRCbUKCAJ6FeVQ/pubhtml" rel="nofollow - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EWZJGzEfNLgq69iXA3rDdNjif_hauzRCbUKCAJ6FeVQ/pubhtml

What do you think?

I have not worked out  how to update people's entries. But most 2011-2012 have done their tests. They can let me know when they get their oaths

-------------
Applied: June 2012
Processing: December 2012
RQ and Test: December 2013
(Reason for RQ: unknown)
Oath: May 2015

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 4:12pm
Hi my friends,

Just had my test today and passed it. Thanks to all of you for your great advice and for sharing your experiences. 

Thanks again.

Print Page | Close Window