Print Page | Close Window

Spam on the forum - where are the moderators?

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: Comments or Suggestions
Forum Description: Give us your comments or suggestions on the site or the forum.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16262
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 8:33pm

Topic: Spam on the forum - where are the moderators?
Posted By: canuck25
Subject: Spam on the forum - where are the moderators?
Date Posted: 07 May 2014 at 9:43am
I realize - as I am sure do many others - that since dpenabill decided to take a permanent sabbatical from this forum we've had a major issue with spam posts. It appears they were previously promptly deleted by moderators (I am guessing dpenabill), but now that job has fallen off the wagon. I'll be glad to do the job just to avoid seeing more an more garbage here.

Otherwise, if moderators are reading this - please do your job and delete spam topics and posts on a daily basis.

Replies:
Posted By: montrealia
Date Posted: 07 May 2014 at 10:09am
I'm just commenting here because I agree with canuck25 and I don't want this thread to be lost in the middle of the spam!

-------------
Office: Guess!!!
Received: 25 May 2011
In Process: 26 Jun 2012
pre-test RQ submitted: 03 Aug 2012
PR card renewed: June-Sept 2013, no issues
Test: 26 March 2014
Oath: 7 August 2014

Posted By: ski
Date Posted: 07 May 2014 at 12:22pm
Perhaps to discontent of some fellow forum members, I will say that dpenabill never was a good, or even acceptable moderator.

He was a good contributor at times, but he should never have been given an administrative task.

In fact, what he lacked is someone (a moderator) to set the rules of behavior for him - to make his contribution more meaningful.

He never understood that the role of moderator is to promote discussion, not to monopolize it.

He never understood he should have been a team player.

For example, the comme il faut of this forum was for everyone to share their timelines, and dpenabill - the moderator who should set the example - was the only one hiding his head in a hole.

dpenabill never reacted positively to any constructive criticism of his behavior.

So there's no surprise that he just chooses to run away without even talking to forum administration and arranging his replacement.

He was a pity of moderator and remains a pity former moderator.

Perhaps of course if he reads this post he logs in just to delete this.

Date Posted: 07 May 2014 at 12:25pm
Ski, while I appreciate your thoughts on dpenabill and her/his participation style in this forum, the thread is not about discussing her/his shortcomings or successes. It is simply a message to whomever moderates the forum that they need to address spam issues.

Posted By: nureya
Date Posted: 07 May 2014 at 12:50pm
Nice discussion....where are these spams coming from? they should give more admin rights to other people too who can remove these garbages.

Nureya

Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 8:49am
Clearly my plea fell on deaf ears. You can now buy anything from a passport to Justin Bieber posters on this forum.

Posted By: Justice4B
Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 9:05am

Maybe if you call the direct attention of Lawyer Colin Singer, whose firm owns this FORUM, you might get a new Moderator, and likely resolve the Spam issue:

http://https://twitter.com/immigrationca - http://https://twitter.com/immigrationca

http://www.immigration.ca/en/ - http://www.immigration.ca/en/

Posted By: Emad
Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 2:40pm
There was a spam attack on our servers and we are working to rectify the issue. Our apologies for the inconvenience caused. 

Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 3:03pm
Thanks for the response. Is there any way more of us among senior members can get involved and help out?

Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 3:16pm
canuck25 and ski have been assigned as moderators to the forum.

Please PM me if there are any concerns.

Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 3:19pm
Why cant i be the moderator too? JK

N

Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:48pm
I suppose I should write something; but I'm not sure what.

I did not expect this appointment, and I will do my best to help canuck25 to remove the spam as soon as possible.

If someone needs help with anything regarding the forum, please feel free to PM me and I will do my best to help.

One thing I would like to contribute to the forum is perhaps to resume updating the timeline, which seems to have been abandoned for a couple of weeks now.

This may require copying the contents of the file into a new file because I was not able to get in touch with Edmonton2011 as it seems only she has the rights to edit the file. Or maybe someone knows better?

Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 4:54pm
I second SKI's sentiment and am happy to help carry the torch until such time - such good time - that this forum will no longer be needed and everyone gets their applications processed:)

Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 5:44pm
Congrats canuck and skii...please keep the good job coming.

We are in immigration forum and we are seeing junk email for passport and ids in the forum....this should not be allowed. This is crazyTongue

Nureya

Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 9:03am
Also, the forum has been upgraded which should significantly lower the number of spam posts. 

Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 9:14am
Emad --

Glad the issue of a new moderator is resolved. I believe the two new moderators will work diligently and bring some balance to the group of active participants.

Can you please confirm that this Forum belongs to Lawyer Colin Singer's firm.  Also, did you always have Admin. privileges, or have you just been given those?  As we well know, dpenabill always claimed to be clueless about an admn/owner for this Forum: I found that odd, very odd.

Thanks, all!

Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 9:42am
Yes, the forum belongs to Colin Singer's firm. And yes, I am the administrator.

Date Posted: 09 May 2014 at 10:43am
Thanks, Emad!

Posted By: Mary Chad
Date Posted: 10 May 2014 at 10:22am
Congrats ski & Canuck25 :)

-------------
Applied: Mar xx,2011
In Process: Oct xx,2011
Transfer: Nov xx,2011
Test: Jan xx,2012
RQ Received: May xx,2012
RQ Submitted: June xx,2012
Office: Mississauga(Now with St.Clair)
Oath: July 17, 2014

Posted By: canvis2006
Date Posted: 11 May 2014 at 7:54pm
Finally there are some more moderators.
Dpenabill and I have tried our best in the past, but to delete/remove posts from every thread was frustrating since the same people would just return with new usernames. You cleaned it up and then few hours later it was the same, as if nothing had been done.

After a while it just got to the point where we thought, what's the point anymore? Hopefully you guys can do a better job!

Posted By: sagafemina
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2014 at 7:38pm
After not finding an obvious "report spam" link, I discovered that it is possible to report spammers (of which we have more than a few lately!) by clicking on "Post Options", third of which is "report post".  Presumably this will call spam to the attention of mods or admin who can then (hopefully promptly) delete the post. 

At least it will make their job easier not to have to notice or LOCATE the spam but just to delete it.  I'm pretty sure they would appreciate it if all of us participated in this thankless and neverending task.  It might make the forum more useful to those of us who use it for legitimate purposes. 

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 11:13pm
That is correct - whenever a post is reported it is emailed to all moderators for action.

I think approximately 50 spam posts from newly registered bots are deleted every day from this forum.

Print Page | Close Window