Print Page | Close Window

Beijing, China Timelines

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Family Class Sponsorship
Forum Description: A review of current sponsorship programs (permanent residence) promoting the reunion in Canada of close relatives from abroad.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1564
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 7:00am

Topic: Beijing, China Timelines
Posted By: iamifun
Subject: Beijing, China Timelines
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 1:17pm
Does anyone have any Beijing timelines?

Please post.

Thanks!

Ivan

-------------
1/28:to CIC-M
2/27:Spsr apprvd
2/28:to Beijing
3/10:12-file under rev
3/16:6-add docs
3/17:RPRF paid
4/15:12-file under rev
4/23:13-case finalized
4/27:17-mailed
4/29:visa recd
5/22:landed

Replies:
Posted By: liquorlord
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 1:23pm
TALK TO boundary47
timelines are similar

-------------
App Recd: Feb 1st'10
App Apprd: Feb 25th'10
Approval Letter: March 2nd'10
ND Started Process: March 19th
PPR Received: March 26th
PPR Send March 29th
Visa Received: April 10th 2010

Posted By: boundary47
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 2:22pm
See my signature file.

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 5:11pm
I have received a letter from Mississauga, dated March 19, 2010, asking me to pay the "Right of Permanent Residence Fee".  My wife's application still shows at the Beijing Canadian embassy website as Code 12: "File is under review".

I'm doubtful that this means it is nearly complete -- it's just too early (see my timeline below).  

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 5:30pm
Hey B47,

I received a letter like that last week as well but my code is code 6. I actually e-mailed the Beijing embassy and they said all they needed was the RPRF. So I sent it out immediately the day after after paying for it online. I still have not heard back. You know, according to the CIC website, it states:
"If you pay the Right of Permanent Residence Fee at the same time you pay the processing fees, it will facilitate processing as we will not have to contact you later. If you do not do so, you will be asked to pay this fee when we are ready to issue the permanent resident visa. Failure to pay the fee at the time of submission of the application will result in a minimum additional two-month delay in the finalization of the application."

Clearly, that says to me that they are ready to process the visa.

-Ivan

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 6:23pm
Thanks for the info, Ivan.

I had not seen that note on the CIC website.  Now I'm not as doubtful as before, but . . . this just seems too fast.  On the other hand, I guess since 30% of the Beijing files are decided within 2 months, some must be done fairly quickly.  I suspect we have the skills to put together comprehensive, well organized and well-documented applications. (I write lots of business proposals, and I think I know what you do.) Maybe we'll actually be through more quickly than average, even for Beijing's fast timelines?  Anyway, I paid the RPRF on line a few minutes ago and will mail out the receipt tomorrow before the mail pickup.  

I have my fingers crossed for a quick resolution.

Good luck!

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 6:55pm
Thanks B47, I do hope both our applications will be processed in the timeliest of fashions. Although the CIC website does state what I wrote before, I still think it is not 100% certain. However, time will tell.

Best of luck

-Ivan

-------------

Posted By: dynamo45
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 6:03pm
Hi all,

Reading through these posts, I have a couple of questions maybe you could help with.

I am getting married in August in China. So after we get married, I will come back to Canada, and is that when I mail the sponsorship app to CIC-M?
2. Do we make the PR app in Beijing, or does everything have to be done in Canada?
3. I read on boundary 47 post, that says he recieved a letter asking him to pay the fee.
Does that mean that I send the sponsorship app first and if its approved, then I pay the fee if they ask?
I'm very sorry for these questions all, but it is very confusing to me right now on what steps to take first and how to take them, and people on here seem so knowledgeable and friendly. So when we get married,  we want to live in Canada. I am Canadian and live here as well.
Thanks in advance for the help all. This site is awesome!!

Posted By: audball
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 6:10pm
You can assemble the PR app in China if you'd like. It may make things a lot easier since you both have to fill out and sign forms. That way you don't have to wait to have them mailed back and forth.

You mail the PR app along with the sponsorship one so you cannot mail the sponsorship one until you have gotten together everything that you need for the PR app(medicals, police certificates, proof, paperwork, etc). You can mail it from anywhere so long as you are still residing in Canada and not china. But please make sure you send everything together. The sponsorship and PR go together, along with proof. Once sponsorship is approved, CIC will send the app to China to be processed.

About the permanent residency fee, you can either pay that when you pay the sponsorship and application fee OR when they decide to grant PR. If you have the money, I highly suggest paying everything at one time. It makes things go easier and prevents a delay while they wait for you to pay and send a receipt and everything

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 6:32pm
So I mail everything together to CIC-M?  and when sponsorship is approved, they send  the PR app to Beijing?
Thanks so much for your input.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 6:42pm
Yupp. Everything goes in one package and off to CIC-M. That's all you have to do and then it's in their hands and you wait to hear from them. :)

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 7:46pm
I second audball's suggestions, and have a few more to add.

My post at the link below gives an overview that makes sense for China. It's the third one in the thread.

http://www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1835&title=what-are-the-steps-stages-for-outland-applications

Get her started on getting all her documents before you leave for China.  Check what she will need in the Region guide for China.  She'll need a birth certificate, all pages of her hukou, divorce certificate (if she's been married previously), and police clearance from China and any other country in which she's lived for 6 months or more.  It's confusing to get these things in China because the policies are either inconsistent from place to place, or officials don't know them, or (which is common in China) people don't know, but tell you any old thing to avoid saying they don't know.  You'll also need a marriage licence.

You'll have to get any Chinese language documents translated to English or French.  A few need an accredited translator, but most don't.  And there is one that needs to be notarized for some applicants.

Depending on where she lives, you may be able to get translations done by someone you can find through the public notary's office.  You can translate some of them yourself as long as it's an accurate translation.  We did some of ours, but my wife studied English in U and also lived in a English-speaking country for several years.  She still needed my help to find the right words in English to get the real meaning (instead of Chinglish).

Fill out all the forms while you're in China.  Go over them together very carefully. Make sure it's all consistent.  You'll need to print some of them there because she has to sign some of them.  

Bring back all the documents with you, then assemble your package in Canada and send it off to Mississauga.  MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS THERE!  All her documents need to be there, and all of yours.

Good luck!

Oh, and make sure you have all the documents you need to get married.  You may be advised to get them all notarized by the Chinese embassy in Toronto or Vancouver (maybe other places -- I don't know about that.)  But I wouldn't bother with that step.  I would get all the documents needed (passport, certificate of divorce if you've been divorced) and take them to a Canadian Embassy in China if you're in a big city.  They will give you an "affidavit of single status" in less than an hour, for about $30.  You'll have to have it translated to Chinese, but it's far easier to do it that way than to go through the Chinese embassy in Canada.  The Chinese embassy here adds all kinds of complications, and generally gives you a complete run-around.  They tell you one thing one day, another thing the next.  They said I had to send all my required documents into the provincial attorney general's office to get these original government documents authenticated at $30 per page!  But that's another story. DO IT IN CHINA.

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:16pm
Wow...thanks very much you guys!!!
She has a mother/brother and a son who is just about 18...none of them are coming to Canada...are there forms that they still need to fill out even if they are not immigrating here?
I have printed off a lot of forms here already to take with me to China, so if she has her documents ready, we can fill it all out, and I will bring it all back with me.
Yes I was told just to go to the embassy in Guangzhou for the single certificate..its very easy.
Do I need the marriage certificate translated into english also?  
Are there any forms you are aware of that I can not print out here and take with me?
"Chinglish"  LOL!!!!!

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 10:29pm
Her son is going to cause some extra work, even though he's not accompanying her to Canada.

If she wants to give up her right to EVER sponsor him to come to Canada, she can pass on some of the paperwork.

But if she thinks she might want him to join her later(he's eligible until he's 22), then he has to undergo a medical examination.

Also, if her son turns 18 before you submit the application then he has to fill out the Schedule 1(background declaration), schedule 1 supplement and additional family information forms. He also has to get police clearance and photos taken.

she then has to write up a statuatory declaration stating that her son will not be coming and whether she wants the right to sponsor him at a later date.

If she knows he will never be sponsored by her, then he doesn't have to be examined and it simplifies things. But it's a lot to give up in case he wants to come over in a couple years

Also, they want EVERYTHING translated to English or French and then have that attached to the original document. I'd be safe and have it all translated to avoid any delays. Only certain things(i.e. police clearances) need an accredited translation so you can translate the rest yourself(if possible) or possibly by a friend or relative for little or nothing.

Posted By: chipsfan7mary4
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 10:42pm
If your wife is living in Guangdong province she will have to go through Hong Kong.  My wife lived in Shenzhen and we had to go to Guangzhou for the medicals.  Of course I am assuming she lives in Guangdong as you are going to Guangzhou.  If she goes through Hong Kong prepare for a long wait.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:05pm
No she lives in Nanning,  Guangzi province. Is that HK or Beijing?

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 11:22pm
It looks like you are in for a long wait.  Check out this link.  My wife went through Hong Kong and it took 8 months over a year ago.  Now it is around 12 to 14 months.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/hong-kong.asp

I am assuming Guangzi and Guangxi are the same.  If you need advice for Hong Kong let me know as we went through the whole headache that is Hong Kong.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 12:04am
Oh man that sucks... how do I find out if it is HK that we go through.
I do have another question regarding immigration forms if someone knows..
I have the checklist of forms that she will need on her end...except for one which I can't find..
It is section 2a and it says " Supplemental to Schedule1 form (attached to Appendix A)- You(meaning her) and each of your family members 18 years of age or older must complete their own copy of this form.
I don't know what form that is for starters...and do they  mean EVERY member of her family ( cousins, nieces, Aunts, Uncles, etc) or just mother/brother/
Is this just a supplement of the Background/declaration, or another form altogether?
chipsfan7mary4... I will certainly take you up on your offer...Thank you so much, and audball and B47..thank you both as well...and I apologize, as I am new here, I just realized that I distracted from this whole thread about timelines for everyone and I started turning it into a thread about forms...please forgive my newbienessConfused. I will start another thread with form questions...sorry gang!!

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 12:09am
The supplement is attached to the region specific forms, you'll see it there.

And only her son would have to do it, if he turns 18 before you send it off.

By family, they mean spouse/common law/conjugal partner(which is not you since you are already a canadian citizen or PR), and dependent children. So only her son, and only if he turns 18 before you apply.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 12:21am
Check out the link I provided and look at the places for family class sponsorship the Hong Kong consulate is responsible for.
Economic class: Hong Kong, Macao and China (People’s Republic of)
Family class: Hong Kong, Macao and Guangdong, Fujian and Hainan Provinces and Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region this as far as I know is the same as Guangzi and Guangxi.  I am pretty sure you will go through Hong Kong as Nanning is in Guangxi.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 12:25am
Tough break, dynamo. Hopefully it isn't too too much longer. Beijing is definitely the faster location though

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 12:29am
Hong Kong sits as one of the slowest embassies in the world.

Check out this link on processing times:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 12:33am
I know. That's why I figured that dynamo could use some positivity since he's looking at a longer wait now.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 12:41am
True, it is good to be positive, but going knowing what you are up against before you go can also help.  It is not easy.  Of all the people who have gone through Hong Kong on this site and the old site, not one has been denied.  Despite long waits all have made it.  I believe I was the only one from both sites to have an interview, or my wife was the only one to have an interview in Hong Kong.  We passed.  That is also a positive sign.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 10:13am
Thanks guys...
I did check out the link you provided, however one thing bugs me...when you click on Hong Kong,
it does tell you what regions that HK is responsible for. When you click on Beijing, it  looks to me that Beijing is responsible for All of China/ Mongolia and Korea...and when you click on Shanghai, it just says "Beijing"
So I guess maybe I am just hoping against hope, that I can somehow bypass HK and go through Beijing, because the wording sort of leaves one to believe that..probably just wishful thinking.
What a difference in proces times!!!! Wonder what gives there...I would have bet that HK would be ahead of Beijing..guess that why I don't gamble...lol

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 10:44am
I know how you feel. I thought the same too when my wife applied.  Bejing and Hong Kong are the only 2 visa offices in China that process the family class sponsorships.  There are many reason Hong Kong is slower. 

Check out the Hong Kong thread.  It has information about why Hong Kong takes longer and other people going through Hong.

http://www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=265&title=hong-kong - http://www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=265&title=hong-kong

The old thread on the old forum.

http://www.immigration.ca/discussion2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35408 - http://www.immigration.ca/discussion2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35408

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 1:13pm
Not to be negative or anything but the following website will clearly explain which embassy or consulate will process applications from which regions. I have copied information that pertains to this post after the link. Best of luck and keep us posted!

-Ivan

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/china-chine/visas/beijing-pekin/family_class-regroupement_familial.aspx?lang=eng - http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/china-chine/visas/beijing-pekin/family_class-regroupement_familial.aspx?lang=eng

3. Beijing or Hong Kong: Which visa office will process my family member’s application for a permanent resident visa?

The Canadian Consulate General, Hong Kong is responsible for processing applicants being sponsored in the Family Class who reside in the following regions of South China:
  • Fujian Province
  • Guangdong Province
  • Guangxi Autonomous Region (Guangxi Zhuangzu Zizhiqu)
  • Hainan Province
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
  • Macau Special Administrative Region

Applicants residing in other parts of the PRC and in Mongolia will be processed at the Canadian Embassy, Beijing.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 1:50pm
Wow.. you submitted in March of 08?
How long before your wife finally came over?
Judging by the comments I have read, I am certainly not looking forward to this...but I guess it is better than sitting here thinking it would only be a few months, and being dissapointed after every month. Now, I have no pre concieved notions, so if by some miracle, it does take less than 14 months I will consider that a victory...sad really. I also read somewhere that with your applications you should supply labels?? Do they mean like  your home address labels that you would get printed somewhere?

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 1:53pm
Hey Ivan...thanks for that clarification... it sucks, but it is what it is I guess....

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 2:01pm
I believe the labels they refer to are regular letter sized labels. I just used regular letter sized labels that I bought from Staples and then made sure the addresses fit. I think I printed out both pinyin and Chinese in the addresses...

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 2:16pm
I guess the links I provided just didn't cut it.  I suppose it is always best to get confirmation from two Canada government web sites.  dynamo, send me a PM anytime.  I have all of my wife's information still together.  Many things have changed for the better in regards to notarization of documents.  It is much cheaper when you do not have to get everything notarized.  Time lines are long, but honestly after being to the Hong Kong consulate I can understand why.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 4:33pm
I will keep you guys posted for sure, although it will be a long haul as we will not even be married until this summer, and then over a year wait.......YAY!! 
Is there any point in applying for a TRV after the PR application has been made? Is that just defeating the purpose?
By the way , another question.
I will do as  advised and get the "single certificate" from the consulate in Guangzhou. Should I get my divorce certificate notarized in Canada before I go, or at the consulate in Guangzhou?
I am surely thankful that this site exists, I can only imagine the countless people that would be lost without people like you guys here...wish I could buy you all a beer!!!!

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by dynamo45 dynamo45 wrote:

I will do as  advised and get the "single certificate" from the consulate in Guangzhou. Should I get my divorce certificate notarized in Canada before I go, or at the consulate in Guangzhou?
I am surely thankful that this site exists, I can only imagine the countless people that would be lost without people like you guys here...wish I could buy you all a beer!!!!

I mentioned to you that I did mine in Canada first -- not only did I get official divorce certificate issued, but also did a search to prove I was not remarried (another $30, had to order it by phone), and also had to get a signed affidavit notarized swearing I was not married.  (Cost me zero -- my lawyer did it for free.) 

Then, I had to have the signatures on all these documents (government issued divorce certificate, government issued search to attest to the number of marriages and divorces on my record, and lawyer's signature on my "single affidavit") "authenticated" by the BC Attorney General's office.  $30 per document.  It starts to add up.

Once in Shanghai, the staff at the Canadian consulate never asked me to produce these papers.  They simply said "you have a divorce certificate, right?"  I said "yes" and that was it.  The other papers were completely unnecessary.  The consulate gave me the affidavit of single status, and the only document I had to produce to get it was my passport. 

< ="utf-8">
But remember from my previous post, all these were considered "necessary" by the Chinese consulate here in Canada.  In Shanghai, the Bureau of Civil Affairs (where you get the marriage licence) only asked for my passport and the document from the Canadian embassy -- not these other documents which the Chinese consulate in Canada said I needed.   

You may not be so lucky as I was at the Embassy, so be sure you have your divorce certificate. If you want to be on the safe side, you can get it authenticated at your province's attorney general's department.  It's a small price to pay.  Imagine what would happen if you get to Guangzhou and find out you need it, but don't have it because you wanted to save the $30!  

Look for something like "authentication services" at your provincial attorney general's offices. These offices have on files the signatures of all provincial officials who sign certificates and all notaries in the province.  They look up the signatures in their files, and if these signatures match the ones on your documents, they issue a certificate permanently attached to your document stating they have authenticated the signature on the document.  It took less than 3 weeks from the time I sent it to the time the documents arrived back to me, all with certificates of authenticity permanently attached.  Very official looking stuff!  LOL

By the way, the only reason I ended up going to the Canadian Embassy in Shanghai and finding out about this simple paper was that there was a transcription error on the affidavit of Single Status I got in Canada.  It had an extra digit in the passport number -- a double "one" (11) instead of a single (1).  And even though the Chinese consulate in Canada had notarized all of it, the Civil Affairs Bureau in Shanghai wouldn't accept it because the passport number was incorrect on one of the 5 documents the Chinese embassy in Canada had asked for, even though the passport has my photo and name on it, and it's clear that all the rest of the digits in the passport number are the same.  When things can go wrong, they will, and at the worst possible time (Murphy's law).

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Posted By: CommonLawChina
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 9:23pm
Hello all,

Just posting to let others know that I have submitted a Common-Law application to CPC-M on March 26th 2010.

I haven't seen any other Common-Law applications through Beijing on here so I will post my timelines and feel free to PM me for what info/evidence I sent. (My partner and I have been living together in Vancouver since August 2008, she has been here 7 years on work visas and study visas but her Skilled worker application is nowhere near approval.)

If any of you are aware of any Common-Law applications going through Beijing posting on here I would really appreciate a link to the posts.

Oh, and will we recieve a letter or email stating CPC-M has received our application? Or do we just wait until the sponsor is approved/declined for a letter?

Cheers

-------------
03/26/10 - Application sent
04/29/10 - Sponsor approved
05/17/10 - Email received with file number
05/20/10 - Request passport
06/22/10 - 'Your Case has been finalised.'

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 11:21pm
Don't expect an acknowledgement. I assume you sent it via courier or ExpressPost?  If so, your delivery notification is the only evidence of delivery you'll have.  

From there, the first thing you'll hear is either a request for missing information, or a decision on your sponsorship application.  You can get a bit earlier notice if you check ECAS daily since it will show up online when you check your account status approx. a week before you receive mail from them.  

Welcome to the waiting room, and good luck!

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 2:38pm
Hey B47,

Did you status change on the Beijing website? I submitted my RPRF fee on March 17th and still haven't heard anything... this waiting is really wearing me down...

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 2:46pm
Yes, it changed, but not in the way I'd hoped.

See this topic for details.

http://www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1928&PID=47868&title=odd-ecas-message#47868

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 2:57pm
Interesting... actually I think an e-mail is the best thing to do. When my status changed from code 12 to code 6, I e-mailed Beijing and asked if something was wrong and they actually replied to me saying that they required the RPRF. So perhaps they will reply to your e-mail in this case. It seems like the international visa offices have way too many codes... I haven't even heard of anyone getting a code 5 before... Well, I just checked the Beijing ECAS today and nothing has changed for me... still code 6. I wonder if they even processed my payment yet....

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 8:44am
I wrote to Beijing and got a reply the next day, but it's not helpful.  They've asked for the Right of Permanent Residence Fee (paid March 24) and for my wife's divorce certificate (it was already included in our submission).  In addition, they've asked for translated copies of her divorce petition and divorce settlement. We did not include these last two in our application because they were not asked for in the Region guide or anywhere else. 

I guess Mississauga is behind in their paperwork, which is why Beijing is asking for the RPRF.  But why ask for a copy of my wife's divorce certificate when the original and a notarized translation from the Shanghai public notary office was in our submission?  You don't suppose they lost our original, do you?

We'll be getting translations done for the additional documents they've asked for, but I really tempted to say "we already provided you with the original divorce certificate.  If you've lost it, let us know and we'll get another one for you." Evil Smile

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 2:44pm
Thank you for the reply Boundary47.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 4:05pm
Followup to my correspondence with CIC Beijing.

I don't know how all this is going to turn out, but I just want everyone on this topic to know that all my emails to Beijing have been answered, usually within a day, and with clear, helpful answers.  They have acknowledged every email I've sent to them, with something like "we have noted the contents of your email".  And when I asked for more details, they provided them.  

CIC gets bashed often enough, and I've done a little of the bashing myself.  It would be unfair if I didn't also give credit where it is deserved.

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Posted By: karenstrawber8
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 9:37am
Hi everyone,

I am thrilled to find everyone in this post who's in similar situation as I am. Please see my signature for my timeline. I hold Canadian PR and I'm sponsoring my husband. Just received an email from the Beijing office requesting a number of additional documents. Posted a few questions in a seperate post (cuz it's so long Tongue), would be so grateful that if you could be really kind to spare a few minutes to give me some advice. The post is here:

http://www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2056&PID=50354 - http://www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2056&PID=50354

Good luck all!

-------------
Feb 11/02: App. sent
Mar 11/10: Sponsor Approved
Mar 11/10: PR docs fwd to Beijing
Apr 12/10 Beijing requires additional docs

Posted By: Ubique
Date Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 3:36pm
Hi guys, I have been reading the forums and especially those to do with China for a while now but have never posted up until this point.  So far, my wife and myself have had great luck with having our case processed quickly and efficiently.  I thought that I would post my current timeline for others to see that there are cases that run very smoothly; I know that when I started this whole process I was scared that it would take forever.  We aren't done yet, but if things continue the way they have been, then my wife will be here soon.  I hope that all of you have as good of luck as we have up to this point.  Beijing seems to have their act together in most cases and I for one, count ourselves lucky to be going through this office.  Cheers.

22 February 2010 – Mississauga Processing Centre received immigration package

25 March 2010 – Sponsorship approved by Mississauga, file sent to Beijing for processing

31 March 2010 – Beijing Starts processing file, requests Passport

08 April 2010 – Passport received at Beijing

12 April 2010 – Beijing sets interview appointment

21 April 2010 – Interview at 0830

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 10:09am
Hey B47,

I guess you and I are in the same boat again! My status also changed back to 12 today.

IT

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 4:19pm
^ It must be "eCAS update day" in Beijing.  Big smile

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Posted By: Ubique
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 5:22pm

Hey all,

Just to follow up on my timeline that I posted...

My wife had her interview on 21 April, and she was approved and got her visa in the same day.  We really feel very lucky about how our case got processed.  No snags, and went faster than we could have dreamed for.  The application was only recieved in the mail on 22 Feb by Mississauga and she was approved in Beijing on 21 April; so, less than two months all told.

We prepped with the regular questions and she brought lots of supporting docs with her to the interview.  The interviewer, a Canadian man, briefly looked over the extra things she brought with her and didnt look at some things at all.

What I found particularly interesting about her interview was that he focused a fair amount on her education and work experience (she is a computer engineer).  We had thought that all or most of the questions would be based on our relationship.  He didn't quiz her on my life or anything like that, I am a military officer (a federal government job) but I really dont think that that had anything to do with his lack of questions about me.  The real kicker was that when she said that she had tons of emails on her account that we had sent to each other...he asked her if she minded giving him her login and password for Hotmail, lol.  She had nothing to hide so she gave it too him and he looked through her email account seeing all of the email communication that we had over the last couple years.  I thought that this was quite unorthodox, but, having gotten approval for the visa, ultimately we didnt care about that.  Another strange request that he had was when she took all of the supporting docs out of her bag, he asked to look at what was left in her bag at the bottom.  the bag had no docs left in it, only having things like her wallet, kleenex, etc left over.  I have no idea why he would ask to see the remainder of her personal effects.

Anyway, as strange as the interview was...we got approved, and she will be coming to Canada in just over a week.  Just thought that I would share the end experience with the other Beijingers here.
The best of luck to you all from both of us,
Josh and Huijing

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 6:34pm
Congratulations to both of you! And thanks for posting the info about your interview -- it's very helpful to read a report "from the front lines".  We'll be sure to be prepared for the possibility of such unorthodox questions!  

Best of luck to you in your life ahead! 

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 9:17am
maybe i don't need an interview after all...

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 11:45am
Wow, iamifun, interesting development!  I would say you're right -- and I'll bet it's good news.  Keep us posted.

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 12:07pm
b47, our timelines are very similar... i hope you will hear good news soon as well

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 7:01pm
Thanks, iamifun. 

When our file was still code 6, there was a date of Apr 24 2010 in the "more information" box on the Beijing website.  I've read that it may be the BF date for the file, in which case it may be looked at again within the next week.  Everything they asked for has been there since April 15, so we think we'll hear within a couple of weeks.  I'll be in China for 3 weeks starting May 1, so perhaps the interview will happen then, or even better, we may find out it's finalized. 

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Posted By: Oscar
Date Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 8:55pm
Hi All,

I am glad that you have here to help me.

I've got Approval letter for my wife's sponsorship  from CIC-M 15th APRIL. They said it is forwarded to Beijing for further processing.
Nothing else yet, so what is the next step should I look forward..?

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 1:19am
Welcome Oscar.

The process is pretty much just as in my signature.  

Next step is Beijing will ask for her to send in her passport.  They'll do so by email, and will follow it up with a letter containing a dozen or so bar code stickers to be put on all future correspondence to them. Tell her to send it by EMS and get a return receipt or notification.  

If you haven't paid your Right of Permanent Residence Fee, they'll ask for that next.  If you haven't paid it, I recommend you don't wait for them to ask.  Do it NOW.  It's likely to save you a few weeks, at least. 

As soon as you receive a receipt by email for paying your RPRF, (assuming you pay online) send it to Beijing to the return email address from which your wife's request for passport has come.  Make sure her applicant number is on it.  (It will be BXXXXXXXX where B is a letter and the Xs are numbers.).

If there's any other documents they want, they'll ask for them by email.  

Finally, they'll either ask your wife to come to Beijing for an interview or they'll finalize her application without an interview.

Once your wife's file is received in Beijing, you'll be able to access the eCAS record for her file here by entering her case number (The number with format BXXXXXXX) and her date of birth:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/china-chine/visas/beijing-pekin/status_request-renseignements_dossier.aspx?lang=eng

It's more informative than the eCAS you'll get when you sign on in Canada.  

Best of luck!

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Posted By: Martin
Date Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 9:07pm
My app just got sent in last week.  Let the games begin I guess.

-------------
Mailed to CIC-M April 16
Arrived CIC-M-April 19
Approved to sponsor-May 27
Beijing started processing-June 10
Request Passport-June 24
Passport sent to Beijing June 25
Interview-August 23-Got Visa

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2010 at 12:30pm
Welcome Martin and Oscar!

I think you'll find the Beijing embassy is very good at handling applications. I had a great experience dealing with them and also a great timeline!

Best of luck to both of you!

Ivan

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 9:46am
My wife's file status in Beijing changed early today from Code 12 - File Under Review, to Code 13 - Case Finalized. No request for interview. It looks like that's it!  ClapClapClapClapClapClap

Talk about good timing - I had already planned to visit for 3 weeks, I'm leaving for the airport in 2.5 hours!  I'm not sure my wife will be able to wrap up all the loose ends so she can come back with me in 3 weeks, but we're hoping it's possible.

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 10:05am
Congrats.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 12:35pm
WOOHOO!!!! Congratulations B47!!! I knew it would be soon for you!

-------------

Posted By: Richtea
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 2:49pm
Congratulations! Im sending in my application in June. Still waiting for my wife to get her medicals done... does anyone know if you get the med. papers on the same day as the exam or do they send you the results later? 

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 4:23pm
Once you are finished your exam you get Copy 2 of the Medical Report - Section A from the DMP (Designated Medical Practitioner). That is the documentation that you will have to submit with your application. It is the paper with the picture of the applicant on it with an official seal.

They will not tell you the results of the exam and will mail the results directly to CIC. I have, however, heard of people calling the DMP and obtaining the results at a later date; not sure if that's true or not.

IT

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 4:36pm
My wife had her medical done in Guangzhou.  She called the DMP and he told her the results no problem.  The DMP is required to inform the applicant of major medical issues.  They are not supposed to give you any other information,  but some do.  I would think if they do not contact you it is all good a spouse does not have to worry about the 'extra stress on the Canadian medical system' criteria.  If they will give you the results, which it does not hurt to ask, it will take a few days because of the number of applicants and the nature of the test being done.

So you could ask the DMP and see if they will tell you anything.  Good luck.

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 8:41pm
Thanks for the info everyone. I have another question as well: My wife recently took 5 immigration photos, as it is required on her PRC immigration checklist. How many photos does she need to take with her to her med. exam?

Date Posted: 01 May 2010 at 4:24pm
From what I recall, they require 1 photo. But I think this was on top of the 5 photos for your application. Can someone please confirm?

-------------

Date Posted: 01 May 2010 at 7:18pm
Greetings from Shanghai!  I arrived here from Canada on the evening of < ="utf-8">May 1.  My wife is planning to come back with me on May 20.  We'll be scrambling to tie up loose ends here for the next 3 weeks.  It's pretty sweet to see her again after 61 days, but it is doubly so knowing we'll be returning together!  This really suits the romantic streak in me. Guys, one piece of advice for any who need it -- don't ever lose your flair for romance, and if you aren't the romantic type, learn to be! Some women will tell you it's not necessary, etc, but even those who claim not to be romantic are still touched by romantic gestures (assuming, of course, that you're sincere and back up your romantic gestures with love, caring and sincerity, day to day). 

Now, to the issue at hand.  IIRC, my wife's DMP required 4 additional photos -- that is, in addition to the 5 photos to be submitted with the PR application.  There is some confusion about the format of these photos.  Some DMPs ask for passport photos, some provide photography services in their offices. Make it easy on yourself -- when your spouse gets photos made for for the PR application, have 10 copies made -- 5 for the PR application, 4 for your medical. We had a dozen made because the photo studio does them in packages of 8, 12, 16.  If you want 9, you pay for 12.  

These photos should all be identical, and they should not be passport photos.  The photo specification shown in Appendix B of the China Region guide is NOT, I repeat NOT the same as a passport photo. While I haven't read of anyone being rejected for sending in passport photos, it is foolish to deliberately ignore instructions from CIC when so much depends on the result.

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 02 May 2010 at 12:16am
thanks for the info, boundary47! Much appreciated.. Looks like my wife may have to go back and take 5 more photos.

As a side question:
My wife and i got our marriage certificate back in february but we did not have a wedding ceremony. The reason is because she doesn't have a lot of family there (in Kunming, China) and we (as a couple) want to have a grand wedding with lots of attendees, which if she comes to canada, will definitely happen. My question is: If we had written letters from friends and family stating that a future wedding will be planned, will it be okay?? Cuz the last thing i want is for our application to be refused due to lack of ceremony. The only 'marriage celebration' that we had was a small gathering of 10 people at a dinner. It wasn't a proper reception either but i guess it's better than nothing, right? We have one photo of that.

On the plus side, we're a happy couple and we have loads of e-mails, engagement/vacation photos, a few phone bills (we used phone cards early on to save money), cards from friends, flight tickets/receipts,...and i even drew a portrait of my wife with a letter written on the back and gave it to her.

Sorry for writing so much, but yea, any feedback or suggestions would be awesome! Thanks! :)

-------------
07 12 - Application Sent
07 14 - Application Received
08 17 - Approved as Sponsor
08 31 - Beijing starts Processing
09 06 - Passport Request Letter
09 27 - Interview > Visa Received!

Date Posted: 02 May 2010 at 5:03am
Hi Richtea, your situation is exactly same as me. We have not held wedding ceremony yet. I sponsored my wife in March. Got confirmation for sponsorship, but still waiting response from Beijing. We are gonna to have ceremony in August, told them so but don't know what they are gonna to do about that.
Best lucks for us. Oscar.

Date Posted: 02 May 2010 at 6:30am
Getting the marriage certificate is the equivalent of a "courthouse" wedding in Canada.  That's actually the legal wedding ceremony.  What I would call a "wedding reception" -- the party to which you invite your family and friends -- is a party, not the wedding ceremony.  Simply explain that your wedding ceremony was held at the Kunming Civic Affairs Bureau (or whatever it's called) and you plan to have a wedding reception after you arrive in Canada.  

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 02 May 2010 at 7:02am

Hmm that makes sense.. i always got confused as to what exactly a reception was.... but anyway, how would my wife answer question 15 on one of her forms:
"Was there a formal ceremony to recognize/celebrate the marriage?"
During the day of our marriage, we went to the kunming Civic affairs bureau and only signed papers and then 30 minutes later, everything was done and we got our certificate :). And that was it. The only people there with us were my wife's parents and 1 family friend. It was not a 'ceremony' at all but just me and my wife signing papers and showing our passports. So should my wife just fill in (for question 15) what i just explained above?

Smile. I just want to make sure everything is A-okay! Thanks for all the replies so far though!

-------------
07 12 - Application Sent

Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 10:40am
Richtea,

I also did not have any formal ceremony or reception. All I did was get the marriage certificate and then returned to Canada not long after. Due to time constraints, I was not able to have any type of formal celebration. However, I wrote on my application I had a private celebratory dinner. I had pictures of a fine dinner to show for it so that "became" my formal celebration of the marriage. I also had letters written from my best friend (who came with me to China when I was married and met my wife) and my brother and father to support my application. They did state that there would be a formal reception to follow once my wife made it to Canada.

I only have known my wife for 3 years and one of those years we barely talked. However, I believe my application was strong because I had flown to China 5 times over the past 3 years to visit her and also had many receipts from my past trip (receipts from Christmas gifts, wedding rings, trip together to Hong Kong). When I was filling out my application, my goal was to show the IO that I spent as much time and money as possible while being with my wife. I even gave her a supplementary Visa card from TD bank and had her regularly take out money. For my letters from my family, I had each person photocopy their passport and attach it to the letter.

I got a bit off topic there but I just want to say, as long as you have all your bases covered then you will be fine. Remember, the law will protect what is genuine, so in the end, everything will always end up right if it is genuine.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 7:22pm
I also had a private celebratory dinner but with only 9 attendees, all of whom were my wife's really distant relatives and friends. Also, we only had one group photo at the table but I hope that's good enough. Hmm having everyone who wrote letters photocopy their passports is a good idea.. man, i just wished that I kept ALL of my gift receipts for my wife...

I have another question, when they ask photocopies of my wife's "Hukou" register pages. Does it mean that my wife has to photocopy ALL pages? Even the blank ones?

-------------
07 12 - Application Sent

Date Posted: 04 May 2010 at 10:13am

they require a translated hukou... so it has to be done at a Notary office. When they translate it, they will make the correct copies and then provide the translations all in one package... at least that's what I did...

-------------

Posted By: ForeverAndADay
Date Posted: 05 May 2010 at 2:06am
Hey Folks,

Happy to see this thread!

Formally known as "BobbyinChina"

I have recently sent in my application to sponsor my wife Smile . Glad its off my shoulders.

Here is my timeline thus far:

March 31/2010 - Application Sent
April 6/2010 - Application Received (signed by personnel) by CPC Mississauga

Posted By: ForeverAndADay
Date Posted: 05 May 2010 at 2:33am
Just had a small concern..

please refer to link

http://www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2388&title=application-for-for-wife-from-beijing-china-area

Date Posted: 05 May 2010 at 5:14am
Hi everybody, I've received DM letter from Mississauga 15th April, so far have not heard anything from Beijing yet. ( have not got File No. yet..), is this normal or something wrong happened. Thanks for your help!

Date Posted: 05 May 2010 at 7:26pm
My wife got an email from Beijing asking her to send in her passport ~ 8 days after the file was sent from Mississauga.  A week after that, she got a letter from Beijing asking for the passport and providing a bunch of bar-code stickers to be affixed to all correspondence sent to the Beijing office.  So it seems to me that your spouse's PR application is overdue for notification from Beijing.  They'll notify her, not you. I was listed as my wife's representative, but most of the correspondence went directly to her.

The email and letter provided my wife's case number so she (or I) could sign into the Beijing website to access a case status update.  It's a number that begins with a "B" and has several numbers following it.  

When you say you've received "DM letter" from Mississauga, do you mean decision made on sponsorship application?  If so, that letter should have included a client number to all you to sign into eCAS at the Canadian website. It's a different number than the one your spouse will get to sign into the Beijing case status update page, and the Beijing case status update has a little more information.

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 06 May 2010 at 2:22am
Thank you Boundary47! Seems mine goes slower. yes, I got decision made on sponsorship from Mississauga. Should I email beijing? ( I've emailed them a week ago, they just told me to be patient and it will take several weeks for application package arrive in Beijing).
e-cas also showing that PR application status 'not available'.

Date Posted: 08 May 2010 at 11:05pm
Does anyone know how long it takes to receive my option-C? I requested for one by mail a week ago.. how much longer do i have to wait?

-------------
07 12 - Application Sent

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 7:07pm
Oscar: My experience with Beijing is that they're pretty prompt responding to emails, and generally communicate well, although sparingly.  I would expect something within a week or so.  A little time has been lost in Beijing, I suspect, because of the national holiday May 1-4, so there will likely be a small delay in all timelines as a result.

Richtea: My Option C took about 2 weeks to arrive.  

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 4:02am
My wife was called for an interview. Is this a good signal or not, anybody knows?

15 April Sponsorship approved.
09 May: Called for interview on 19 May.

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 3:01am
I don't know whether it's a good, neutral or bad sign.  But all the people who have been posting on this thread recently have been approved, whether interviewed or not. 

Since your spouse is going for an interview, it's important to be ready for anything.  If you know of any weaknesses in your case, make sure you bring all documentation that you've gathered since you sent in your application.  But be prepared for unusual interviews, too.  See "ubique's" post part way down this page describing his wife's interview at Beijing:

http://www.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1564&PN=5&title=beijing-china-timelines

Best of luck!

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 6:08pm
Yeah, interviews don't mean anything bad. The VOs just want to double check ur relationship before they make their final decision. Ive read about a lot of successful interviews around forums.

Quick question: on my wife's Immigrant checklist (appendix A), they ask for eight address labels. Do they have to be typed or can my wife write the address by hand in black ink instead? Thanks. :)< id="WebWizRTE" ="http://www.immigration.ca/forum/RTE_.asp?mode=reply&POID=0&ID=938" style="border: 1px solid rgb165, 172, 178;" ="initialiseWebWizRTE;" ="20" width="650" height="300">

-------------
07 12 - Application Sent

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Richtea Richtea wrote:

Quick question: on my wife's Immigrant checklist (appendix A), they ask for eight address labels. Do they have to be typed or can my wife write the address by hand in black ink instead?

By hand is fine. 

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 12 May 2010 at 11:46pm
My wife's visa arrived in Shanghai this morning by courier from the Canadian embassy in Beijing. It is good until January 11, 2011.  We won't need that long - she'll be returning with me (I'm currently visiting Shanghai) on May 20.  (This looks like it was written by comedian Stephen Wright - that dead-pan guy with the frizzy Afro who never gets excited about anything.) YIPPEE!

We initially thought there would be two IO focal points in our application for PR status for my wife and her daughter: I'm 15 years older than my wife; she has a 22 y.o. daughter who is her "dependent" only because she's a full time university student dependent on her parents' support.

For other Beijing applicants, note which parts of our application were returned to us:
- all photos (except the small ones required for identification)
- receipts for wedding and honeymoon
- copies of wills
- receipts and boarding passes for travel together
- proof that my wife's daughter is a full-time university student
- proof that this daughter is financially dependent on parents for support 
- complete itinerary of sponsor's travel to visit spouse and documents proving the dates of this travel

It's clear that some of this evidence has been "well-thumbed" - wrinkled pages, bent corners, etc. I assume the IO returned what they considered to be "personal", but there's lots of personal stuff that wasn't returned. I would guess that's because they didn't review that material.  

On a humorous note, I can tell that I got a little "punchy" in the last days of assembling our application.  A couple of examples are the captions for some of our photos.  

- One shows me teaching my 5 year-old niece to use my iPhone.  
- The next shows this niece with her arms affectionately around my neck. The caption reads "proof that guys with iPhones get all the cute girls".  
- The next shows my wife sitting next to me and cuddling up affectionately.  The caption, "See, I told you guys with iPhones get all the cute girls!"

A little careful humour doesn't hurt.

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 15 May 2010 at 11:02pm
Hey b47, is it okay if we saved phone bills from the past 2 months. cuz b4 that, we would only use phone cards. I have written a note explaining that my wife and I have been using phone cards for a year previously because long distance rates were too expensive (in the long run), especially since my wife and I would talk up to an hour each time, 4 times a week! :)

But in early April, we decided to finally have a LD plan and the rates are fair. Do you think that if i explained our situation, they (VOs) would understand?

Also: It's been well over 2 weeks since i sent my request for my Option C... still nothing..Confused

-------------
07 12 - Application Sent

Date Posted: 16 May 2010 at 3:18am
I'm sure IOs are quite familiar with the changing telecom prices, and the good price so many have had with phone cards.  Just explain it in your application in the part where they ask about the development of your relationship, and where they ask what you have done to maintain communication during your relationship.  
I phoned CRA to get my Option C printout -- maybe you can phone to tell them it's been more than two weeks and you're worried that it is lost.  Or since you won't file your application until June, maybe you can wait another week before calling them.  The main thing is don't wait until it delays your application.

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 16 May 2010 at 6:58pm
I am not trying to advertise here, but I have a phone card I picked up in Markham (Toronto).  I got it in a Chinese store.  It is called Nengda Tong.  Anyways, the advantage to this card, is you can send them an email, and ask for your phone records, for a small fee.  I do not know if you can get these anywhere in Canada or not.

-------------
Mailed to CIC-M April 16
Arrived CIC-M-April 19
Request Passport-June 24

Date Posted: 16 May 2010 at 8:34pm
Good point, Martin.

I used an online service called "Jajah" which allows you to register an overseas phone number as a local one, and you can call using the local number.  Jajah allows you to call over the internet or directly by phone.  No long distance charges, but Jajah charges something like 2.7 cents per minute for calls to China.  It's competitive with most cards, and you can get a monthly printout from your Jajah account by going to your account on the Jajah website.  I found it much more helpful than phone cards.  

However, for my money, Shaw's full featured digital home phone service is even better.  I negotiated a fee of $20 per month for the first year (it's normally $35 per month), which includes 1,000 minutes of free LD to China every month, and 3 cents per minute for any additional within each month.  This is the best I've found.  And of course, you get monthly bills from Shaw listing all your phone calls.

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 19 May 2010 at 4:54am
My wife got her VISA today, many thanks for people in this thread. You helped a lot during my stay in here for a short term!

Just for reference for others:
18 March: Mississauga received application
15 April: Decision made for Sponsorship
04 May: Started processing in Beijing
09 May: Call from Beijing for Interview
19 May: Interview passed and got her visa.

Date Posted: 19 May 2010 at 2:37pm
In a few weeks, im gonna send in my full application! Big smile But ive been looking around and im getting a bit confused about the mailing address.
On the CIC website it says to send it to:

Case Processing Centre – Mississauga
P.O. Box 3000, Station A
Mississauga, Ontario L5A 4N6

but... other people say to send it to:

Case Processing Centre - Mississauga
2 Robert Speck Parkway,
Suite 1200
Mississauga, ON L4Z 1H8

So... which one do i send in my full application and what are the steps? should i go to my local canada post? or UPS? Thanks again everyone! u guys have been very helpful! Smile

-------------
07 12 - Application Sent

Date Posted: 19 May 2010 at 9:16pm
I mailed my application to the first address: PO Box 3000, Station A.  They received it a few days after I mailed it.

-------------
Mailed to CIC-M April 16
Arrived CIC-M-April 19
Request Passport-June 24

Date Posted: 20 May 2010 at 10:41am
The first address is the correct one

-------------

Date Posted: 20 May 2010 at 11:57am
cool, thx guys. but which post office did you guys go to? Ive heard some horror stories of certain places actually losing ur application package. Confused Is my local Canada post (inside shoppers drug mart) okay?

-------------
07 12 - Application Sent

Date Posted: 20 May 2010 at 1:22pm
Hey Guys,

Our case has been moving smoothly but I just received an email requesting my partner's passport and also requesting proof that her skilled worker application in Seattle has been withdrawn.

We were previously told that she could have both applications processed concurrently, once one is approved the other would be withdrawn. She has been waiting for her skilled worker application for two years now and when we went to Seattle they said there was no chance of it being approved this year. But now they are asking us to withdraw that application and put all our eggs in the one basket?

With that being said, I do have faith our sponsorship case will be approved. But I don't know what proof we can give them of the Seattle withdrawal. Anyone heard of anything like this?

Also my partner currently resides with me in Canada, when we mail her passport she would not be able to leave the country. Meaning she could not go back to Beijing for an interview. I am assuming Beijing is aware of this?? Does this mean we will not have an interview? (I did not think we would require an interview because we included lots of evidence of our genuine relationship)

Time to give CIC a phone call...

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 3:56pm
I went to my local post office inside a Shoppers in Ottawa. I made sure I mailed it via registered mail (Expresspost) so I could track it. Everything was quick and easy and the package arrived the day after in Mississauga.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 May 2010 at 12:37am
hey iamifun, this may be a stupid question but... for my chinese marriage license, was there supposed to be a separate piece of certificate or is everything inside the marriage license (the small red book with the picture of me and my wife), cuz i juss realize that i have the license but not the certificate.. are they together in one?

-------------
07 12 - Application Sent

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 5:53pm
Well, I am not sure if i should be getting nervous or not.  CPC-M has had my file since April 19, and it is now May 26.  I tried to track it through the CIC site, using the receipt number, but nothing is coming up.

Should I be getting concerned?  It seems like most here received something within a month of sending their app in.

Martin

-------------
Mailed to CIC-M April 16
Arrived CIC-M-April 19
Request Passport-June 24

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Richtea Richtea wrote:

hey iamifun, this may be a stupid question but... for my chinese marriage license, was there supposed to be a separate piece of certificate or is everything inside the marriage license (the small red book with the picture of me and my wife), cuz i juss realize that i have the license but not the certificate.. are they together in one?

Richtea, I suspect iamifun may have answered you by PM, but in case he didn't (since I'll bet he's pretty busy these days), I can tell you that we have a little red book, and that's both the marriage licence and marriage certificate.  It's the "whole ball of wax".

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Martin Martin wrote:

Well, I am not sure if i should be getting nervous or not.  CPC-M has had my file since April 19, and it is now May 26.  I tried to track it through the CIC site, using the receipt number, but nothing is coming up.

Should I be getting concerned?  It seems like most here received something within a month of sending their app in.

If I understand correctly, that means you haven't received notification that you're approved as a sponsor, right?  My file was received on February 2, and I was approved as a sponsor on March 1, but didn't receive notification until ~ March 8 (IIRC).  In my case, CIC-M transcribed my name incorrectly, and so when I tried to log into eCAS to check the status, of course I spelled my name correctly, not the way eCAS had me recorded.  So it was ~ 33 days before I received a letter from CIC.  That was slightly less than the waiting time indicated on the CIC website at the time I sent in my application.   I suspect yours will be along within a week or so.  I don't think it's time to send out a search party yet -- you're not overdue yet as far as I can see.  

-------------
B47
Jan 29 App. sent
Mar 1 Sponsor approved
Mar 9 Passport requested
Mar 24 RPR Fee paid
Apr 15 File under review
Apr 30 Decision made
May 11 Decision mailed
May 13 Visa received
May 20 Landed

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by dynamo45 dynamo45 wrote:

So I mail everything together to CIC-M?  and when sponsorship is approved, they send  the PR app to Beijing?
Thanks so much for your input.

Yep. That's exactly what you need to do!Smile

-------------
07 12 - Application Sent

Date Posted: 30 May 2010 at 1:38am
I have a question about something that im confused about. I have letters written by my father, my mother-in law, and friend concerning my relationship. My father and friend's letter are written in english (my dad's being handwritten), and my mother-in law's letter is in chinese. I understand that my mother-in law's letter needs to be translated into english and then notarized, but what about my dad's and my friends? Do they need to be notarized too, even if they're already in english?

Also, I, the sponsor, wrote a letter of support for my relationship. Does my wife also need to write one? Because on her "sponsored spouse/partner questionnaire form, she already explained about our relationship from when we met, even though it's not as detailed and long as my letter.

Sorry for all the questions but I just want to make sure im doing everything correctly.thanks! Smile

-------------
07 12 - Application Sent

Print Page | Close Window