Print Page | Close Window

Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Family Class Sponsorship
Forum Description: A review of current sponsorship programs (permanent residence) promoting the reunion in Canada of close relatives from abroad.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=148
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 5:07am

Topic: Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)
Posted By: Stablous
Subject: Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC)
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 10:00am
hey guys,

lets populate this thread.

Timeline :

Application sent to CIC-M : 9 Jan. 2008

Received by Visa Office (Accra, Ghana) :  11 Feb, 2008

Docs Requested : 15 Oct, 2008

Docs sent and ARC fees paid : 7 Nov, 2008

Letter Requesting Interview : 3 March, 2008

Interview attended : 22 April, 2009

still waiting...

Replies:
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 10:20am
Gonna bump this for fellow ARC applicants.

Posted By: natnat
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2009 at 12:07pm
Stablous, so hows the interview outcome? positive one or dunno one since from April, its been 8 mths for the ARC application, if its not close to finsih, but at least you should hear somthing from them, did you order your caips try to find out what's been going on? and what cat. you apply under?

cheers

Posted By: launched
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2009 at 1:45pm
Has anyone done an ARC from south america? specifically Caracas?
My husband will have to do it, I just donĀ“t know how to prepare for it.
Any input will greatly appreciated.

Posted By: Tasleem
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 9:45am
Hello ARC people...

I have a question for you... does anyone know the timeline for an ARC? We have had interview, paid the ARC (you name it, it was done).  What happens from here? At what point can we file a mundamus?

Thanks for your advice

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 10:05am

@ natnat

My interview was positive and it is the spousal category. Based on info from my wife's MP, processing of the ARC part of the application only began in August, not sure why. The interview covered my immigration history mostly (around 70% approximately) and then the rest of it was spousal sponsorship stuff. 

@launched

I believe the old thread contains info regarding that. I think missingdave was from south america and their case was successful. There may have been some more recent postings on that thread by ARC applicants from Brazil too.

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 10:28am
Hi Tasleem,

Timelines seem to vary based on the high commission you are dealing with. There isn't very much info available concerning past ARC applications and the recent 'relocation' to this forum has not helped. However, you can look up the old thread for some indication (link posted below).

http://www.immigration.ca/discussion2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29495 - http://www.immigration.ca/discussion2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29495

Posted By: faith
Date Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 11:34am
Hi Stablous...

I am cunfused by your timeline. Did you pay the ARC fees in Nov 2009? or Nov 2008?
Originally posted by Stablous Stablous wrote:

hey guys,

lets populate this thread.

Timeline :

Application sent to CIC-M : 9 Jan. 2008

Received by Visa Office (Accra, Ghana) :  11 Feb, 2008

Docs Requested : 15 Oct, 2008

Docs sent and ARC fees paid : 7 Nov, 2009

Letter Requesting Interview : 3 March, 2009

Interview attended : 22 April, 2009

still waiting...

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 11:35am
My husband recently rec'd a request for the ARC fee, Deportation recovery fees & re-do of the medical. Does anyone know if they usually ask for the medical re-do at the same time?

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 11:55am
@ faith

Sorry that was a typo. 2008 is the correct year.

They do not normally request a medical re-do until a final decision has been reached concerning your application.

Thanks.

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 12:29pm
Stablous...

Do you think that is a good sign then? because they did ask for it all at the same time....

Date Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 4:32pm
I believe it is a good sign.

What's your timeline if you don't mind and what high commission is your application being processed?

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 6:15pm
Hi Stablous,

I am dealing with Jamaica and my time line is that Jamaica has had my file since December 2008 and this is the first thing we have heard. No requests for anything else.

Posted By: canadianApr2009
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 6:20pm
i have a question guys:

what is ARC as in wen someone lands in canada on the expiry of visa date you mean and then they r deported , am i rite

and wt steps r usually taken as in the manual procedural step for such person

thx for th eknowledge much appreciated.

-------------
APPLY IN MAR'09,AOR MAY'09,ADD REQuEST MAY'09 & OCT'09.
Sent adds:May '09,Nov 23'09 & Dec 26 '09
MEDICALS expire:9 JAN 2010
Reqst for PP:4Jan 2010
Recvd PP AUH:5 JAN 2010
PP rec back:7th JAN:9PM.REDO

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 6:21pm
also if any1 knw the official site of ARC rules by CIC for spousal cases eh --comments plz

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 6:30pm
That is not my understanding of an ARC.
ARC means Authorization to Re-enter Cananda. You need this authorization to come back to canada if you have previously been deported. Deported due to criminality or overstaying on a visa.
Each High Commission has thier own rules and guidelines when issuing and ARC.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 6:32pm
ok thx

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2010 at 9:20pm
Stablous,

Have you heard any news on your file?

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 7:22am
Nothing recently besides how my ARC appears to have really begun sometime in August 09. That's based on info entered into my CAIPS.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 1:09am

Stablous,

Have you gotten your med re-do as yet? I wonder where all the ARC people have gone?? There used to be alot before the site moved.....

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 6:37am
No faith, I haven't received a med re-do yet.

The Accra high commission does not normally prepare a med re-do until a positive decision has been reached regarding an application. I believe the same reasoning is applied in most high commissions.

In some cases, the intention to grant ARC is known and even communicated to the applicant prior to the actual decision being made. That can explain why you have received a med re-do. When I have read about this being done, it has been after a successful interview, and quite informally I should add. The interviewing officer isn't normally the person responsible for making a decision regarding an ARC application, it is reserved for a more senior officer, usually the program manager.

Have you had an interview or was it waived?

About the other ARC people, I wonder the same thing as you do. Maybe they'll make their way here eventually.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2010 at 12:45pm

Stablous,

We have not had an interview. I hope it has been waived however I hae not ordered CAIPS notes or anything. I did speak with my MP about it however she has not mentioned anything about the ARC. All she told me is that it can take an additional 6 to 7 months for our file to be completed.

Posted By: rifathn
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 8:45pm
Hi,

I had a deemed deportation and requre ARC to return to canada however i left Canada voluntarily by coordinating with CBSA. below is my timeline.

CSQ Applied= Jan 2005
CSQ Received= Oct 2006
AOR = March 2007
RCMP FP Mailed = March 2007
Medicals Done = April 2007
Local police certs mailed June 2007
RCMP Cert mailed to Buffalo =  31 July 2007
No response from Canada cosulate Buffalo after.

Last week i recieved a mail from Buffalo requesting to submit updated PCC for me and my wife, Complete ARC form, Redo medical forms and updated CSQ. I got my RPRF payment recipt on this mail as well. I have 60 days to submit this. Dont know why they took so much time for this. Is this a good sign? Any responses will be greatly appriciated. Cheers

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 10:07pm
Hi Rifathn,

I am not sure what your abbreviations mean....What is csq? and pcc?
Besides that, I think it is strange that it took so long to get any info from them but I do think it is a good sign that they have asked for med re-do. Did they also ask you to pay the ARC fee?

Posted By: rifathn
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 9:01am
Quebec certificate of selection (CSQ), PCC Police certs. Yes they had asked to pay the ARC fee.

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2010 at 6:27pm

Hi Everyone,

This is a timeline shared by a member on a Jamaica thread on a different site...
-I started this process in may, 2008.
file transfer- june 20, 2008
process started- oct 1, 2008
hubby overstayed and needed ARC, left mid march 2008- feb 1, 2009 money  and letter request
nothing, email replies just said in process
-may 26, hubby received call that he doesnt need ARC but has to pay more money cause $1500 is new fee doesnt matter if he paid his fare to go home. he pick up med redo form/police check
-meds redo june 1, 2009
emails sent, visit to embassy no info
-finally on january 4, 2010 sent email and got response that file schedule for review by manager
-january 13, 2010 receive call for passport
january 14, passport dropped off, we are finally at the end of the road.

Strange......they asked for med re-do and fees then did not process the visa for an additional 7 months......

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 12:27pm
Update on my file.

Received IMM 0008, IMM 5406 and medical redo forms last week. I've since done my medical.

Hopefully, the end is near Smile

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 6:22pm
Wow!!! Stablous!!

That is really great!!! I hope that you hear some posative news soon my friend!!!! Let me know how it goes...

Nothing new for us. It has been 3 weeks since we handed in the ARC letter, med re-do and all fees.

Still waiting :(

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 7:22am
Thank you faith.

Don't be worried as finalizing ARC applications appears to require a few months. The processing times for applications at your high commission appear fair however, so yours shouldn't be an overly drawn out affair.

All the best.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2010 at 8:02pm
Stablous,

on Wednesday it will be 60 days since they issued us the letter requesting the ARC fee, Removal costs and ARC letter. I think that in most cases thye make the BF date 60 from whenever the last look on the accoutn had taken place so I am hoping that we get a call soon!!! Almost 4 yearsa since we have been seperated.....

Posted By: charlie
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 4:00am
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum.
My mother and I were in Canada as refugee claimants in 2005. We had a hearing that did not go well. We appealed the decision...and applied for PR on Humanitarian and Compassionate grounds.
When we applied as refugees, my mum was the principle applicant and since I was 23 at the time and a full time student, I was the dependent.

We were deported in 2007, when our departure order became a deportation order, and since then I have made an application to go back as PR through the Nairobi office.

Recently, the Nairobi office requested for a medical redo, police clearance and my passport. That was all in November 2009. All the documents were sent to them by December 1st 2009. No mention of ARC or any fees.

We're in Feb and I haven't heard from the Nairobi office. Have recently ordered for CAIPS to find out what's going on. Will later contact MP through a family member.
Would anybody know if I need and ARC? Why would they request for redos (medical and police clearance) and my passport and then take more than two months to issue a visa? Has anybody dealt with or heard about ARC through the Nairobi office?

Thanks
Charlie

Posted By: elegant
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 9:04am
Hi Everybody,
I am new to this forum. Is anybody here who aplied ARC with FSW (Federal skilled worker) category?

Thanks,

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 1:22pm
Hi,
This forum has been so quiet.

I sent an email to the Nairobi office requesting for information regarding my file. The following was their response:

"Dear XXXXXXX,
Please note that since you were previously deported from Canada, you are required to pay an 'Authorization to Return to Canada' (ARC) fee to enable consideration for your return. Please consult http://www.cic.gc.ca/ - www.cic.gc.ca for further details on the payment of this fee."

Nothing else was requested. No application, no letter explaining why I want to return to Canada, no docs to show that I left Canada. Just a fee.

Has anybody experienced this yet?
Please help.

Charlie

Posted By: job_seeker
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by charlie charlie wrote:

Hi,This forum has been so quiet.I sent an email to the Nairobi office requesting for information regarding my file. The following was their response:"Dear XXXXXXX,Please note that since you were previously deported from Canada, you are required to pay an 'Authorization to Return to Canada' (ARC) fee to enable consideration for your return.<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: blue;"> Please consult http://www.cic.gc.ca/ - www.cic.gc.ca for further details on the
payment of this fee.
</span>" Nothing else was requested. No application, no letter explaining why I want to return to Canada, no docs to show that I left Canada. Just a fee. Has anybody experienced this yet?Please help.Charlie

This is what I found re application ARC:

Authority to return to Canada

As per A52(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, if a removal order has been enforced, the foreign national shall not return to Canada, unless authorized by an officer or in other prescribed circumstances.

Please read the following instructions carefully before you submit your petition for an Authority to return to Canada.

Your application is subject to a NON-REFUNDABLE processing fee. If your application is refused, the fee will not be refunded.

The Visa Section offers services in both of Canada's official languages, English and French. Documents in languages other than English, French must be accompanied by a certified translation
Important Information

An incomplete or illegible request will be returned without being processed. We cannot guarantee that an Authority to return to Canada will be issued.

If a personal interview is required, you will be notified in writing of the date and time of the interview.
Documents required

A written submission in English or French explaining, in detail, the reasons you should be granted this authority to return to Canada.

If your departure order became a deportation order as a result of your failure to depart Canada within 30 days of the departure order becoming enforceable, your written submission should include an explanation of the reasons you did not depart Canada within the 30 days of your departure order becoming enforceable.

The letter must be written in block letters in black ink or typed.

* Visa application form (PDF 216 KB), fully completed in black ink.
    * Two passport size photographs taken within the last six months.
    * Copy of passport; do not send original passports. (When you present yourself for an interview you should bring your passport).
    * Processing Fee: In addition, you may be required to re-pay any costs related to your removal from Canada.

How to apply

* You may apply by mail.
    * Any additional documents required will be requested by mail.
    * You will be notified if an interview is required.
    * You will be notified by mail of the final decision in your case.
    * You may apply in person.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/mexico-mexique/visas/authcan-autcan.aspx?lang=eng - http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/mexico-mexique/visas/authcan-autcan.aspx?lang=eng

Probably Nairobi has a similar process for ARC.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2010 at 9:08pm

Stablous,

How are things going? any news yet?

Charlie,

What is the other application you have filed? Has someone filed for you?

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 9:02pm
Hi-
Faith-I am being sponsored by my wife.
Thank you so much Job_seeker. I find the information you posted very helpful.
So far, I've been requested to redo my medicals, my police clearance and even submit my passport-which could mean that CIC were probably ready to issue visa. A friend of mine has suggested that I submit the fee, a letter of explanation and my certificate of departure. There's no application form IMM1203B posted on the Nairobi website.
I will continue to communicate with the Nairobi office to get more information.

Thank-you so much for your support.Thumbs Up
Will keep you posted on what more info I receive.

Posted By: job_seeker
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by charlie charlie wrote:

Hi-Faith-I am being sponsored by my wife. Thank you so much Job_seeker. I find the information you posted very helpful.So far, I've been requested to redo my medicals, my police clearance and even submit my passport-which could mean that CIC were probably ready to issue visa. A friend of mine has suggested that I submit the fee, a letter of explanation and my certificate of departure. There's no application form IMM1203B posted on the Nairobi website. I will continue to communicate with the Nairobi office to get more information.Thank-you so much for your support.Thumbs UpWill keep you posted on what more info I receive.

You can either go to CIC-Nairobi or write them a letter requesting for one.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2010 at 11:48pm
Hi all,
It's been pretty quiet here.

I found this link http://www.canada.org.tw/taiwan/visas/arc.aspx?lang=eng - http://www.canada.org.tw/taiwan/visas/arc.aspx?lang=eng .
There is a part that states:
"If you are making another immigration application, such as a work, student or permanent residence application, you should not submit a separate application for an ARC. If your immigration application is approved, the authorization to return to Canada will be dealt with in the context of that application. You will simply be asked to submit the fee for the ARC."

Since I'm being sponsored as a permanent resident, I will not need to do a separate ARC application. I will be submitting the fee. The only additional document I will submit is my Certificate of Departure-then hope and pray for the best.

Posted By: ralph dzegniuk
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 7:57pm
Few things to keep in mind for folks who apply for ARC on their own:

1) The fact that your underlying PR application (whether Family Class, Skilled Worker, whatever) has been approved is NOT a "sure sign" that the ARC request will also be accepted. I have seen many cases where the underlying Family Class Sponsorship was very strong (family separation, best interests of the child, etc.) as well as Skilled Workers who were scoring way above 67, but whose ARC was ultimately rejected;
2) OP1, Chapter 6 is your ultimate "guide" to drafting of the legal submissions that should accompany the ARC form (don't even think of filing the form on its own);
3) The nature of your previous non-compliance with Canadian laws/regulations (that makes obtaining of the ARC necessary) is absolutely key. For instance, if you knowingly filed a fake refugee claim (for strategic reasons) and/or if you avoided removal for a prolonged period of time (or at all), securing the ARC might be difficult.   IF, on the other hand, your non-compliance stems simply from having filed a GENUINE refugee claim, which was ultimately refused, and you did comply with all subsequent communication from CIC/GTEC/CBSA then your chances are pretty good.

Should you have any additional questions/concerns, pls contact me directly at the below address.

Ralph Dzegniuk, Barrister & Solicitor (B.A., L.L.B.)
Migration Law Chambers
82 Richmond Street East, Suite 305
Toronto, ON. M5C 1P1
Phone: (416) 548 9072
Fax: (416) 548 9092
http://www.migrate-2-canada.com - www.migrate-2-canada.com
[email protected]

Posted By: sputnikx
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 9:35pm
Hi Charlie,

some CIC missions ask for an ARC application with a written submission explaining your situation and why Canada should allow you to reenter (London, Mexico, Hong Kong) others will just ask for payment and decide within the regular application (Cairo, Rome, Guatemala). I don't know how the Nairobi office works but I would say it is more important to send your explanations and the payment, then to fill in the ARC application (since the form seems to be more for temporary returns to Canada, in case of illness or funerals).

The mission in Mexico City is as far as I know the only one which has a form for the ARC on their website.

We had a member from Albania who was sponsered and only the payment of the ARC fee was requested (no form nor letter) by the embassy in Rome (ARC was granted 3 month later) as well as someone from Cairo.

I would suggest to pay the ARC fee and send a letter with it where you ask for the ARC to be granted and give your reason why you should be granted the ARC.

good luck!!

Posted By: launched
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2010 at 4:09pm
Has anyone gone though an ARC from Caracas?

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 7:34am

Extremely quiet here guys Smile.  However, I do have an update. My visa was issued on the 29th of March and I returned to Canada on the 12th of April.

Final Timeline : App sent to CIC-M: 9 Jan 2008
Received at CHC Accra, Ghana: 11 Feb 2008       
ARC Fees Requested: 15 0ct 2008
Letter Requesting ARC submissions received: 20 Jan 2009 (sent Nov 22 2008)
ARC submissions sent off: 10 Feb 2009
Interview Scheduled:  22 April 2009
April 22 - July 31 2009: No progress due to misunderstanding with previously requested documents
Re-medical requested: 19 Jan 2010
Visa Issued: 29 March 2010

I remain truly grateful to all who have participated here, it's been a really enriching experience.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 7:59pm
I am sooooooo happy for you!!!!! Congrats, nothing new for us....17 months and counting....

Posted By: hugbug
Date Posted: 23 May 2010 at 2:05pm
Has anyone had to go through ARC through Guatemala? ... how long does it take?

Posted By: Twinsmama
Date Posted: 31 May 2010 at 9:59am
Hi
Is there anyone who have or had applied for ARC through Port of Spain Trinidad? I will be needing ARC can you please share your time line with me please.
Do they ask you to pay the fee or do you have to have to write a letter?

-------------
Appl sent CPC-M:21/12/09
Appl rec'vd:23/12/09
1st stage approval:15/01/10
forward to MICC (QSC):15/01/10
Appl sent to P-O-S Trinidad:15/01/10
P-O-S rec'vd:25/01/10
PR in process:03/02/10:med rec'vd

Posted By: kwabena kwabena
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 6:04am
twinsmama, why would u need ARC....? u seems to be doing fine with processing time.... or?

-------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one...

Posted By: Twinsmama
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 1:08pm
kwabena kwabena,
I need ARC because of unsuccessful refugee,humanitarian and PRRA.

-------------
Appl sent CPC-M:21/12/09
Appl rec'vd:23/12/09
1st stage approval:15/01/10
forward to MICC (QSC):15/01/10
Appl sent to P-O-S Trinidad:15/01/10
P-O-S rec'vd:25/01/10
PR in process:03/02/10:med rec'vd

Posted By: kwabena kwabena
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 6:15am
oohh ok and it is easily done?????   twinsmama

-------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one...

Posted By: Guy28
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 4:52am
Hi
 Is this tread still on?
guy28

Posted By: MARCE 22
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 8:12pm
WIFE DEPORTED 2006 TO USA
APPLICATION TO SPONSOR SENT SEP 2008
PROCESSING IN CARACAS PERMANENT RESIDENT SEP 2008 FOR WIFE
MEDICALS RECEIVED OCTOBER 2008
REQUEST TO REDO MEDICALS 2009