Print Page | Close Window

Not ready for citizenship test: try to reschedule

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Canadian Citizenship
Forum Description: Commentaries outlining important issues in acquiring Canadian citizenship through naturalization
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14141
Printed Date: 12 May 2024 at 6:54am

Topic: Not ready for citizenship test: try to reschedule
Posted By: mtltest
Subject: Not ready for citizenship test: try to reschedule
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 8:54pm
My wife just found out that she has a citizenship test scheduled in 11 days. We had moved addresses and the notification ended up at the old address, I just happened to call to check on the status today and found out the test is October 21. 

Does anyone know if it is in her best interest to attend anyway even if it is certain she will fail? She is not prepared at all and 11 days will not be enough time to get ready. We could also try to reschedule but I'm not sure if it is a good excuse to claim being underprepared. 

Any insight into how to handle this is appreciated! Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: 123smike
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 9:11pm
people are getting crazy to get a test date and this is opposite reaction from your side, 11 days are enough to read a small booklet

Posted By: mtltest
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 9:14pm
I should be more specific about how unprepared my wife is. She moved to Canada several years ago but didn't learn any english until she was in her mid-30's and hasn't taken any language courses. She speaks limited english but enough to get by. Her reading and writing skills in english are almost non-existent. So she can't read through the book on her own and even if she could she would not be able to figure out what enough of the written questions were asking. 

11 days might be a reasonable amount of time to someone fluent in english or french but I can't see it being nearly enough with her language skills.

Posted By: 123smike
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 9:17pm
failling a test is much better then not attending it..since cic may not give her a chance and second giving the test one time will increase her confidence..but start preparing right away

Posted By: yycgal
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 9:18pm
I would not delay the exam, rescheduling it could be a nightmare.
11 days is not impossible, read the booklet many times and take as many online tests as you can manage. I found the online tests really helpful.

If she fails CIC will reschedule her with a quicker timeline than if you delay it.

Posted By: parkbr
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by mtltest mtltest wrote:

My wife just found out that she has a citizenship test scheduled in 11 days. We had moved addresses and the notification ended up at the old address, I just happened to call to check on the status today and found out the test is October 21. 

Does anyone know if it is in her best interest to attend anyway even if it is certain she will fail? She is not prepared at all and 11 days will not be enough time to get ready. We could also try to reschedule but I'm not sure if it is a good excuse to claim being underprepared. 

Is she also at St.Clair?

Posted By: yycgal
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 9:47pm
You weren't kidding when you said your wife was not prepared.
Were you not aware that there would be an written exam?

Posted By: EasyRider
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 9:57pm

Drop everything and train your wife in the last 10 days. DO NOT try to reschedule test-- you'll most likely be "blessed" with RQ and then a real headache will begin. Test is quite easy if she will be able to read simple test questions in a test form and will know material. In the worst case CIC will schedule re-testing, but without a high possibility of a penalty in form of RQ, and you will have time to prepare better.

-------------
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At5U1gEsWR9CdEo1OXNzdDlQR3NGV2Z5YlBQZVJMVXc - Montreal Citizenship Timelines

Posted By: greeny
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 10:08pm

I should be more specific about how unprepared my wife is. She moved to Canada several years ago but didn't learn any english until she was in her mid-30's and hasn't taken any language courses. She speaks limited english but enough to get by. Her reading and writing skills in english are almost non-existent. So she can't read through the book on her own and even if she could she would not be able to figure out what enough of the written questions were asking. 

11 days might be a reasonable amount of time to someone fluent in english or french but I can't see it being nearly enough with her language skills.
 I'm sorry , but why have you applied for citizenship with no even basic knowledge of English? Confused
one of the main criteria is to understand and speak English.

to reschedule your test will end up in RQ - that's about 2 years waiting for another test date.
to attend the test is not a guarantee to be permitted to write it, cause she has to pass a small interview with the officer before writing it.

At my test date the were 2 ladies who were not allowed to write a test. I don't know what  is going to happen if she is "dismissed" of writing a test.

my advice is  to do all the best and try to prepare for the test. there is a slight but hope to pass it .

if she fails than it could be rescheduled or she will face a judge.
good luck

-------------
landed: May, 2003

applied: Dec04,2009

test/RQ: Feb15,2011 st.clair
2nd RQ: Aug 2014
Total waiting time to oath: 60,5 months :)= 5 years and 14 days
oath- Dec , 2014

Posted By: polarbear
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 11:15pm
Thousands and thousands of people are checking their post boxes everyday to see whether they got any letter from CIC.

You must be out of your mind to reschedule the test date.

Rescheduling itself will trigger an RQ which will add up the processing time by another 2 to 3 years.

Does your wife want to become a citizen in 2013 or wait till 2015 or 2016. It's up to you.

Rescheduling is not a good idea. you will regret it.

Posted By: SARABC
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 12:29am
I totally understand where you are coming form as a friend of mine in a situation similar to your wife just failed her test recently. She was rescheduled in 5 weeks & will sit for the second test soon. It is better to take the test and fail than to postpone.
All the best,
Sarah
P.S :In my husband's case they did the test first then the interview.

-------------
Applied Feb7th,2012 (Family of 4)
In Process Oct4th,2012
Husband RQ & finger print November 2012
File separated from husband August 2013
Hubby test Oct. 2013
MY test Dec. 2013
Joint oath March 2014

Posted By: RQ0712
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 9:39am
If you ask them to reschedule, they may think you are out of the country and you will end up with RQ. As CIC states, there have to be very solid grounds to reschedule the test or ceremony.

On the other hand, if you end up with RQ, there'll be plenty of time to learn English to qualify...

So do your best in these 10 days to prepare for the test.

-------------
Application sent Jan 2011 > In process Feb 2012 > Test & RQ same day Jun 2012 > RQ submitted Aug 2012 > Oath taken Nov 2013 (Montreal)

Posted By: eileen
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 9:50am
I would recommend she take the test and do her best. If you can contact a settlement agency as well, they may be able to advise and advocate for your wife.

If she fails both attempts at the test, or fails the interview before or after the test, where a CIC employee will assess her language skills, she will be scheduled for an interview with a citizenship judge. I have heard reports that many citizenship judges (especially if you go to the interview with a well-prepared lawyer) are more sympathetic to linguistic challenges than the Citizenship officers are.

Good luck.

-------------
Resources for Future Canadians & their Advocates: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com - http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com

Posted By: asifatt
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 10:24am

This is something she will eventually will have to deal with if applying for citizenship. 
Before the test they will conduct an interview with her to check her language skills. If she gets by the interview then its simple for her to take the test. There are 4 answers to each question, A B C D .. which ever letter she likes just circle it on the scantron and off you go. You should just prepare her on how to take the test .. and maybe let her read the book anyway. 

If you reschedule the test, her citizenship dream MIGHT be delayed by a few years or maybe not. 

Take your wife to write the test, it might be her lucky day :)  

-------------
Received-23/OCT/11 : Location-Oshawa : Office-Scarborough : In-Process-30/JAN/12 : Test-NOV/7/12 : RQ-NOV/7/2012 : RQ processed at ST.Clair Office

Posted By: chudir bhai
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 12:26pm
I made a promise to myself that I will not come to this forum as I am a Citizen now. But this topic made me feel helpless to keep my words!!

what is wrong with you buddy?? prepared or not prepared, go and give the test. If you fail you will get a second chance to pass.( there was an operation bulletin on this, but cannot remember which one). NEVER RESCHEDULE.

even if your wife does fail in second attempt she will see the judge, Lets say she still cannot answer the questions from the book infront of the judge, she will not get the citizenship this time.. NO PROBLEM!!! she can again apply later when she knows enough english.

BUT.... AND YES THERE IS A BIG BUT... but if you reschedule it, your wife will be flagged FOR LIFE in will be given an RQ and Not even God knows how long it will take then to get the test.

GO TO THE TEST, GIVE THE TEST . and trust me there are 15 questions which are common sense. and if she gets 15 correct, voila!!!

Good luck!! and DO NOT RESCHEDULE it.

Posted By: Vancan2012
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 2:04pm
I think at this point it's clear that you should NOT reschedule the test. I am guessing your wife will be slapped with an RQ, and the next opportunity for her to write the test will be years away. Worst case scenario when failing a test is to be rescheduled a few weeks later (I think the OB says within 8 weeks of first try).

That being said, I am quite unhappy with the fact that applicants like your wife take up system resources. It was pretty clear that one should know English or French to qualify for Citizenship, or even to apply. The fact that she doesn't qualify (whether she doesn't understand the language, did not reside in Canada for 3 years, or any other requirement) means she shouldn't have applied. One of the ATIPs recently released suggested that the majority of the people taking up judge hearing time were either knowledge or language cases. This means that eligible and qualified applicants without language or knowledge issues, who have bothered to learn English or French, and bothered to read Discover Canada -that's if they are not already familiar with Canadian politics by virtue of living here- enough times to ace the test, have to wait behind people who are simply not supposed to be there in the first place.

Now that your wife has taken resources anyway, one way to not make things worse is to make sure she is prepared to write and pass the test. That should be your only focus for the next 10 days. Good luck to her, she will need it (and so do we, those of us who are waiting in line behind those who are not taking this matter seriously)

-------------
Vancouver S03/12 L03/12 IP11/12 RQ 03/13 XFER 03/13 Currently In Process

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Vancan2012 Vancan2012 wrote:

That being said, I am quite unhappy with the fact that applicants like your wife take up system resources. It was pretty clear that one should know English or French to qualify for Citizenship, or even to apply. The fact that she doesn't qualify (whether she doesn't understand the language, did not reside in Canada for 3 years, or any other requirement) means she shouldn't have applied. One of the ATIPs recently released suggested that the majority of the people taking up judge hearing time were either knowledge or language cases. This means that eligible and qualified applicants without language or knowledge issues, who have bothered to learn English or French, and bothered to read Discover Canada -that's if they are not already familiar with Canadian politics by virtue of living here- enough times to ace the test, have to wait behind people who are simply not supposed to be there in the first place.
agree,

but unfortunately or fortunately , you choose what suitsSmile, those applicants are more lucky and they more likely to be 'there'  faster than we are. 

-------------

oath- Dec , 2014

Posted By: Nordicgirl
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by EasyRider EasyRider wrote:

Drop everything and train your wife in the last 10 days. DO NOT try to reschedule test-- you'll most likely be "blessed" with RQ and then a real headache will begin. Test is quite easy if she will be able to read simple test questions in a test form and will know material. In the worst case CIC will schedule re-testing, but without a high possibility of a penalty in form of RQ, and you will have time to prepare better.

I agree with Easyrider. It is best to at least try, see what the test is all about. Learning English and the book is now in order. If she does not pass, have her participate in an intensive English course then she will have better chances when and if she gets her 2nd chance to do the test.

And in general, it is easier to live in a country when you know the language. I started speaking English here the day I arrived in the country, because that is what you are supposed to do in English-speaking part of Canada.

P.S. Get a mail-forwarding service for your mail so you do not miss any mail that is sent to your old address.

Posted By: christy198112
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 1:12pm
I am totally agree with you Polarbear!!!

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 1:19pm
As many of us are waiting so long to have a test or retest and you want to reschedule it!
I recomend you to tell your wife to study english intensive and practice a lot but don't reshedule or you will regret!

Posted By: canuck25
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 5:56pm

I agree with other forum members and will summarize the basic replies without adding a personal element to it. 

Passing the citizenship exam is a requirement for receiving Canadian citizenship, unless you are 55+. Your wife needs to demonstrate 1) that she speaks the language well enough to communicate in the society and 2) that she has elementary knowledge of Canadian history. I am not sure why you submitted her application since she does not speak English, but what's done is done. As of now you have several options. 

OPTION 1. Your wife can try and study as much as she can for the exam and take the test as instructed. I believe she also needs to bring a printed test invitation which was mailed to her at you old address. Make sure she has it. If she passes the exam, then her application will move forward. If she fails the test, she will be given another opportunity to try at a later date. 

OPTION 2. You can contact the CIC and withdraw her application. She can re-apply when she speaks the language well enough and there are no punitive implications except for 1 - she will most likely receive a Residency Questionnaire after re-applying, which will set back her application by a few years. 

OPTION 3. You can request CIC to reschedule the test, but this will likely be a red flag and will not only delay the application from the standpoint of finding a new test date, but will also likely result in the issuance of a Residency Questionnaire, which will delay her entire process. 

Looking at the 3 options above your best bet is to prepare her as much as possible at this stage and let her take the exam. Obviously this is a personal decision that is contingent on a multitude of factors that we are not familiar with. Hopefully the options above give you a good idea of how things will play out and what you can do to ensure her application continues to move forward.

Posted By: canadiancoops
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 8:17pm
Don't go - cancel the application and free up valuable time for people who have their app in waiting who adhere to the guidelines.

-------------
Calgary:
Rec'd:       June 4/2012 (e-cas updated June 7/2012)
In Process:Jan 16/2013 (e-cas updated Jan 18/2013)
Test Date: Feb 21/2014
Oath Date: March 26/2014 (letter issued Feb 25/2014)

Posted By: canuck25
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:09am
By no means should you listen to people who advise you to cancel and free up the test spot for someone else - this is sheer stupidity. First of all, your cancellation will not result in another applicant being given a spot on such a short notice. CIC has to give appropriate notice to test takers that they are scheduled for an exam. Second, your focus should be 100% on your application and getting your wife through the process - not worrying about other applicants, so button down and get her as ready as you can in the short time you have. 

Even if she fails the exam the first time this will be an excellent opportunity to practice and she will be invited for a re-take. If you choose to reschedule and/or withdraw her application at this stage she will most likely get an RQ - you don't want to increase her chances of that. So once again - get her as ready as you can and have her take the exam.

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 1:39pm

Stargood luckStarStarStar and , please, keep us posted, what you decide and how was the test, fingers' cressedStar

-------------

oath- Dec , 2014

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 3:09pm
Hello mtltest!!!!

11 days is enough to study, believe me!!!!!!!!!!! i did it and it went well thanks God! but your wife needs to have the time to concentrate and my advice is always: Read the book and then she can take a practice online in:

http://www.apnatoronto.com/canadian-citizenship-test-practice/

this site help me alot.

Good luck and don`t cancell the test !

Posted By: pree
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 5:32am

Hello

I am writing to you with an urgent inquiry as I too need to postpone/reschedule my test...i am out of Canada right now visiting family overseas..and I suddenly got a notice few days back that my test is on DEC 4th 
i have no access to my post/mail and a neighbour who was checking my mail said a letter (small brown envelope from CIC) was there..so i quickly checked my online status.

It is not possible for me to travel in a few days to write the test in Canada..and if anyone is reading this- i would appreciate some advice how to reschedule..please dont think i am ungrateful or lazy, i am thrilled that i got the notice to write the test..just timing is tough

i tried calling their toll free number  tel:1-888-242-2100 - 1-888-242-2100  (its canada only) and wont permit me to call them ...

I have no clue even where the test location is because it is not stated online and the person who saw that i had the letter from CIC in canada is not replying now.

Did your wife write the test or reschedule it?? Any advice..please help as this is less than one week away...

thanks...

2.    We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called  http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/index.asp -  

3.    We started processing your application on February 19, 2013.

TEST= DEC 4th...I CANNOT DO it-- out of country..what will happen?

normally I live in Canada but i had to take a 5-6 week trip to see family out of Canada. Thanks

-------------
Currently a PR- applied for Citizenship

Posted By: RussCan
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 9:32am

You will have to line up your priorities, and if becoming a Canadian citizen is one for you will have to buy your ticket and fly in for the test. Otherwise you will be in a serious predicament ranging from a RQ issued and the case dragging for 2-3 more years to your case being closed for no show at the test and no acceptable reason provided. You cannot just reschedule the test on a whim – there has to be an acceptable (to CIC) reason. Unless you’re at the deathbed of your next of kin (God forbid), and you can documentarily support that, your reason for rescheduling will likely not be found acceptable and extenuating. So this your choice here dude – make one and stick to it.       

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 11:25am
I agree that it is by far the best choice to make it to the test. If you are out of the country for 2 weeks or more, you are supposed to notify the CIC so they won't schedule you for testing or oaths.

But, if you cannot get there, you must let the CIC know beforehand. I suspect this may trigger an RQ, but there's a better chance that your application won't be closed as "dormant" for the missed test (re: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob476B.asp" rel="nofollow - OB 476B ) if you let them know before.

Check out this thread on how to call cic from outside Canada: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14368&KW=cic+outside+canada+call&PID=211241&title=how-to-call-cic-call-center-from-outside-of-canada#211241" rel="nofollow - https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14368&KW=cic+outside+canada+call&PID=211241&title=how-to-call-cic-call-center-from-outside-of-canada#211241

-------------
Resources for Future Canadians & their Advocates: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com - http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com

Posted By: dpenabill
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 2:04pm

Originally posted by pree pree wrote:

I am writing to you with an urgent inquiry as I too need to postpone/reschedule my test...i am out of Canada right now visiting family overseas..and I suddenly got a notice few days back that my test is on DEC 4th
i have no access to my post/mail and a neighbour who was checking my mail said a letter (small brown envelope from CIC) was there..so i quickly checked my online status.

It is not possible for me to travel in a few days to write the test in Canada..and if anyone is reading this- i would appreciate some advice how to reschedule..please dont think i am ungrateful or lazy, i am thrilled that i got the notice to write the test..just timing is tough

I concur with posts by RussCan and eileen, and emphasize taking a look at Operational Bulletin 476-B which eileen linked, looking in particular at the parts regarding test/interview no-shows.

The policy is now effectively a one-shot policy. Again, you should look at the OB eileen linked, but the importance of this is well indicated in the following quote (with emphasis added) from the OB:

Quote From OB 476-B:

Effective September 3, 2013, applicants will be sent one test/interview notice. If the applicant does not show up at the appointed place and time, and fails to provide an acceptable reason for this absence, their application will be administratively closed.

Procedure:

Quote From OB 476-B:The amended test/interview notice informs applicants that they have 60 days from the date of the first appointment to provide CIC with an acceptable reason for failing to attend. If an acceptable reason is not provided within 60 days, the applicant is to be mailed the attached final notice letter. It serves as a last reminder for the applicant to contact CIC if they have an acceptable reason for failing to attend their test/interview. This notice gives the applicant 30 days to do so. Once the 30-day period has elapsed, and no response has been provided, the application is to be closed immediately in GCMS.

I realize you cannot see the actual notice for the test you received. It should inform you of the above. This seems to imply that if the applicant contacts CIC prior to the event and gives an acceptable explanation, the test may be rescheduled. I have the sense, though, you will encounter difficulty in this regard. (Best option is to appear for the test if at all possible; otherwise plan to pursue the petition process to keep the application open and processing.)

As for the procedure outlined in the OB, including the part quoted above, I think the distinction between the first reference to "administratively closed," and the last reference to "closed immediately in GCMS," is the difference between ceasing processing (administratively closed) and a final termination of the application. Further down in the OB there is more detail in regards to closing the application in GCMS.

The first results from simply missing the scheduled test. To avoid the final closing of the application, termination of the application, the applicant must in effect make a petition.

Then there is the part of the OB outlining "Exceptions and Flexibility." From the OB:

Quote From OB 476-B:

Some applicants may have an acceptable reason for failing to respond to requests for additional information in the prescribed period of time, or to attend a test or interview with a citizenship official. If an applicant provides CIC officials with a reasonable explanation AND proof or evidence to support their explanation, additional time may be granted to submit the RQ or the test/interview may be rescheduled.

There are examples of acceptable explanations in the OB.

While my sense is that the assessment of "acceptable explanations," and required evidence to document/prove the genuineness of the explanation, is likely to be more flexible and generous than how severe the examples provided make it appear, I would not count on that, and moreover, at the least this process shifts a substantial burden to the applicant to follow through on what amounts to making and prosecuting a petition, supported by good grounds and evidence documenting the existence of those grounds, to keep the application open.

Bottom-line: if you can document a good reason for being abroad as long as you are, and not being able to return for the test, while you will incur a significant delay (while your petition to keep your application open is being submitted and then assessed), a good explanation should allow you to proceed. The risk of RQ will, of course, increase, but whether or not RQ is issued will depend on all the facts and circumstances of your case considered in conjunction with your explanation and proof of it. But, for example, if one of your parents had a sudden severe illness, and you make the appropriate petition to keep your application open, and include documentation from a qualified medical professional as to the illness, proof of relationship to the ill parent, and documentation to show exact dates of travel, that should suffice and perhaps even suffice to simply be re-scheduled for the test without RQ.

I would expect, and hope, that family contingencies other than death or severe illness, should constitute a good explanation, but this is a new policy and how it will be applied in practice is a big unknown.

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 3:00pm

From other branch of same subject posted in the     https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14564&PID=212305#212305 - I got my test date!!! topic :

thank you for your replies, i spoke with call centre and they said it happens quite a lot, just to mail a letter with proof that i was away (she did not go into detail about reason/serious stuff etc)

if one is not in canada how are they supposed to get the letter.

anyhow i saw that in the letter (someone took a pic of the letter in my canadian post box and sent it to me just now) that this is our only invite for u to write the test, if u cannot attend at this time we will consider u r no longer interested etc...

did other ppl have this in writing for the letter to take the test..this is our ONLY invitation etc..?

Caution: what the call centre representative said is probably true. But it does not alert you to the potential issues lurking in this process.

Bottom-line: if you contact CIC before the date of the test, and request the test be rescheduled, and explain why, that may (less than certainly by a lot) suffice and not count as a "no-show" (the "no show" which would evoke the procedure outlined in the OB).

Appearing for the test is best; this, the written letter before the date of the test, is probably your second-best approach. But do not be lulled into a false sense of confidence about this.

Be sure to watch for follow-up notices and be sure to do a follow-up contact with CIC to check on the status of your application.

And, in any event, even if the letter requesting the test be rescheduled does suffice, the risk of RQ is likely to increase significantly.

Otherwise, the OB linked by eileen above should let you know what you are dealing with.

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 3:00pm
Thank you Eileen

Can you please provide me the number to call that toll free number from outside of Canada? That link is not working

Thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 3:11pm
Hello Eileen

You have been really helpful...

can you pls provide that number for calling CIC toll free from outside Canada?

Also, I did not see or know anywhere If you are out of the country for 2 weeks or more, you are supposed to notify the CIC so they won't schedule you for testing or oaths.

Where was this written?

Thank you so much

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 3:21pm
Hi Pree,
I don't know what is wrong with my linking ability, but it keeps dropping the : from the https://, so you can either add it in from the past link or cut and paste this: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14368&KW=cic+outside+canada+call&PID=211241&title=how-to-call-cic-call-center-from-outside-of-canada#211241

I can't find the source of the CIC's request for notification of absences two weeks or longer. It's somewhere, but I don't have time to track it down right now.

-------------

Posted By: Fedup2013
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 3:35pm
Hi Pree,

The best and easiest way is to download "Magicjack" App from Google Play:

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magicjack&hl=en - http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.magicjack&hl=en

You can call anywhere in USA & Canada for free.

If you pay extra amount, you can get a Canadian Telephone Number and have your ecase telephone with CIC updated or divert your calls from local Canadian line to your MagicJack number.

Or you can follow the other given ideas:

Originally posted by EasyRider EasyRider wrote:

Originally posted by winnipeg-mb winnipeg-mb wrote:

Hello,
Does anybody know.. which ph no to use to call CIC call center from outside Canada? I am not in Canada right now and in need to call CIC. Please Reply.
Thanks in advance

You can try using this number +16139444000 (Foreign Affairs & Development office), probably you'll need to use Skype as well, though I'm not sure. After language options (1 or 2), it'll provide with agencies selection, I believe route for CIC is then: 1 (Foreign Affairs inquires) and then 2 (information about immigration and visas). You'll be transferred to CIC like if you were calling +1888 number. I use this number to call CIC from Skype, and Skype is not routed through Canadian area number.

Good luck!

Simon

-------------
Landed Immigrant: Oct 2009
Sent Application: Mar 2013
In-process: Jun 2013
Received Letter: Jul 2013
File transferred to Mississauga Office: 15 Aug 2013
Written Test: 18 Jan 2014
Oath : 23 Jan 2014

Posted By: Fedup2013
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 3:39pm
Pree,

Oh by the way, do you mind to share your timeline?

Thanks,

Simon

-------------
Landed Immigrant: Oct 2009
Sent Application: Mar 2013
In-process: Jun 2013
Received Letter: Jul 2013
File transferred to Mississauga Office: 15 Aug 2013
Written Test: 18 Jan 2014
Oath : 23 Jan 2014

Posted By: edmonton2011
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2013 at 3:47pm

Also, I did not see or know anywhere If you are out of the country for 2 weeks or more, you are supposed to notify the CIC so they won't schedule you for testing or oaths.

Where was this written?

Thank you so much

While we process your application, you should only contact CIC if:

• you  http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/index.asp - change your address ,
  • you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row,
  • you are charged with a crime or
  • we do not contact you about your file within the posted  http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/cit-processing.asp - processing times .
source:  http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-after.asp - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-after.asp

-------------
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai9o70015IRPdFl6MnhXV0VZbnN1YnZWLXpld0Vya1E - Timeline spreadsheet

Rec'd: Sep 01, '11
In proc: Jan 24, '12
Test: Apr 25, '13
Oath: Jul 1, '13

Posted By: Rcitizenship
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 7:34am
Hello everyone,
I missed my citizenship test since my mails came to my old address. I just checked online status after the test date. Does anyone has any luck rescheduling the test? I heard they are very strict with the reasons you provide. Please help me.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Rcitizenship Rcitizenship wrote:

Hello everyone,
I missed my citizenship test since my mails came to my old address. I just checked online status after the test date. Does anyone has any luck rescheduling the test? I heard they are very strict with the reasons you provide. Please help me.

Yes, most indications are that they tend to be strict about test no-shows. In particular, being abroad and not able to return in time for the test is specifically a non-acceptable reason, at least that is what CIC asserts. I suspect this can be challenged.

If CIC made the error in mailing to the old address (as in you had properly and timely notified CIC of your change in address), there should be no problem. If, however, you failed to update your address, I am not sure how this will go; obviously it was entirely your responsibility to notify CIC of any material changes in the information you submitted with the application and the failure to do so will tend to have predictable consequences.

Main thing is to make the formal submission of a request to process your application, including a clear statement of the circumstances leading to your failure to appear at the time scheduled for the test. You have a limited time in which to do this or the application is deemed abandoned, withdrawn, and is summarily terminated. You would have to start over, applying again.

My impression, by the way, is that CIC is making an effort to cover all their bases in giving notification. For me, for example, I had the message appear in eCas around three weeks prior to the date scheduled. Then I received the letter specifically giving me notice of the date, time, and place, in the mail. And then CIC telephoned my home phone to make sure I had received the "invitation" (as she put it). My sense is that CIC is doing this in an effort to establish adequate notice has been given so as to justify the termination of application for no-shows. So, again, you really need to get the formal request for rescheduling submitted, in paper (using a courier service which will give you confirmation of delivery), and not rely on a telephone call.

You may want to seriously consider consulting with a lawyer. Particularly if you have been abroad extensively since applying or you did not update your address with CIC.   

-------------

Posted By: Rcitizenship
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 3:02pm
Thanks for replying back. Actually i quit my job in Toronto in December 2013 and moved to Windsor and my husband got a job in Detroit. We live in a basement and the owner collects and gives me all the mails when they get time to sort out. Last month, I was very busy with relocation and settling down and taking care of my 20month old. I didn't open so many of my January mails yet. The only proof i have to show my presence in Toronto was that i have a resignation letter emailed to my HR in the end of December, a month before cic notification. Can you suggest how can i explain this situation to the officer.
Thanks

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Rcitizenship Rcitizenship wrote:

Thanks for replying back. Actually i quit my job in Toronto in December 2013 and moved to Windsor and my husband got a job in Detroit. We live in a basement and the owner collects and gives me all the mails when they get time to sort out. Last month, I was very busy with relocation and settling down and taking care of my 20month old. I didn't open so many of my January mails yet. The only proof i have to show my presence in Toronto was that i have a resignation letter emailed to my HR in the end of December, a month before cic notification. Can you suggest how can i explain this situation to the officer.
Thanks

I am no expert and in particular I am not qualified to offer individual advice regarding a specific application.

Best I can offer is to be sure to submit the request to reschedule in writing, using a courier service with confirmation of delivery, and to simply clearly and honestly explain what the circumstances are, why you had not updated your mailing address as yet, and so on. Other than obtaining the help of a lawyer, a simple and honest statement is really the best way to handle things. It is what it is, and it is best to confront it head-on, unequivocally. While sometimes CIC gets it wrong, they mostly figure things out, one way or another.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window