Print Page | Close Window

Could You Do Medical Redo Before Requested?

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Family Class Sponsorship
Forum Description: A review of current sponsorship programs (permanent residence) promoting the reunion in Canada of close relatives from abroad.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=141
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 2:12am

Topic: Could You Do Medical Redo Before Requested?
Posted By: Mrs.Sam
Subject: Could You Do Medical Redo Before Requested?
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 2:38am

Brain Teaser: I need you to “Think Outside the Box Here”

This has been bothering me for some time. My husband’s medical expired and he was asked to redo it at his Interview. I might have been able to avoid a 78 day delay while waiting for them to Bring Forward his case again. So I was wondering of course.... if you can beat the system and speed things up.Star

Immigrant Guide for Sponsorship of Parents, Grandparents, Adopted Children and other Relatives:

The results of the medical examination are valid for a period of 12 months from the date of the first medical examination. If you have any medical problems, you may have to go for more tests after your examination by the DMP.

If your immigrant application is not processed and your visa is not issued before the results of your medical examination expire, you will have to undergo another complete medical examination and pay associated fees

“Generally” people have said or “know” (I use those terms loosely) that you have to wait for Instructions and Forms from the CIC Visa office to do Medical Redo’s after they expire.... but where is this rule & procedure?

1.)   Why can’t you take the initiative and redo them yourself after 1 year by using the IMM 1017 EFC + Appendix C (Sponsored applicants processed outside Canada & also excessive demand exempt), go to a DMP and get it done again... BEFORE they ask?

2.)   Would CIC deny receipt of the new & current medical?

3.)   Would they request them be done again, because you did them after they expired but before they requested?

RESEARCH:

I’ve searched the Operational Manuals, DMP's Handbook and the Immigrants Guide PDF's (searched medical, expire, etc.) there are no procedures outlined for CIC to follow for Medical Report expirations to my knowledge.

The only other reference to Medical Expiry was:

Handbook for Designated Medical Practitioners FEBRUARY 2009

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub/dmp-handbook2009.pdf -

Appendix C Medical Instructions (page 76)

If your medical results prove satisfactory, they have a validity of one year from the date of examination.

Therefore, you should make arrangements to have the date of your medical examination precede as closely as possible the date you will be sending your application and supporting documentation to your sponsor.

If the processing of your application for permanent residence is delayed and we cannot reach a decision about your application before the validity of your medical examination expires, you will be required to do the medical examination again.

Chapter 11.1 Canadian Immigration Medical Report Forms (page 59)

Medical Report Forms

Form Number

Usage

Where Located/Instructions

Order/Download
Medical Report Forms

Medical Report: Section A; Client Identification and Summary

IMM 1017

All applicants, except those listed below

This form is usually sent to applicants by the immigration office.

N/A

IMM 1017 EDE/EFE

Excessive demand exempt applicants

The IMM 1017 EDE/EFE is usually sent to applicants by the immigration office. Sometimes the immigration office will stamp the top of the form with “EDE.”

N/A

IMM 1017 SCL

Sponsored applicants processed inside Canada (also excessive demand exempt)

The IMM 1017 SCL is obtained from the online immigration kit for sponsored applicants applying from inside Canada.

The IMM 1017 SCL can be downloaded from this page. It is included in the instruction guide: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp -

IMM 1017 EFC + Appendix C

Sponsored applicants processed outside Canada (also excessive demand exempt)

The IMM 1017 EFC is used by DMPs for up-front medical exams. It is used when an applicant presents a completed Appendix C – Medical Instructions form.

To order IMM 1017 EFC forms, contact your regional medical office

Appendix C is obtained from the online immigration kit for sponsored applicants applying from outside Canada

The Appendix C can be downloaded from the following web page. The forms are region specific: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp#region -

Medical Report: Sections B-E

IMM 5419

All applicants

The regional medical office sends the IMM 5419 to the DMP.

If you are a DMP and do not have access to a blank IMM 5419, please contact your regional medical office

-------------
"Knowledge is Power" Sir Francis Bacon 1597

Replies:
Posted By: rbenoit
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 8:38am
To the best of my knowledge and based on our own experience you cannot redo the medical unless you have the redo medical form which is sent by the Emabssy to the applicant.

Any other form besides the official redo medical form sent by the Embassy will be ignored.  Any other attempt to redo your medical using other paper work will also be ignored.

Save your money and wait for the appropriate request forms.

Posted By: leappiah
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 10:01am
Would be interested to hear other opinions on this as my husband is in the same position as Mrs. Sam's.

Posted By: Stablous
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 11:45am
I did mine and it was fine. I was given confirmation of its receipt during my interview (around 4 months later) and the visa officer expressed no misgivings.

I used the same Appendix D forms as in the first medical.

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Stablous Stablous wrote:

I did mine and it was fine. I was given confirmation of its receipt during my interview (around 4 months later) and the visa officer expressed no misgivings.

I used the same Appendix D forms as in the first medical.

Then you are the exeption because several of us have in the past tried to redo their medicals before being asked using the Appendix form and despite our efforts we were still issued an official medical redo form which looks nothing like the appendix form in the guide.

Been there, done that, wasted our money and had to use the redo form issued by the Emabssy and pay the medical a 3rd time.

Posted By: A_Yardie
Date Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 4:32pm
my wife and i applied and after that she gave birth to our lovely daughter.

we were asked to do our medicals very shortly after she was born and we hadnt received any medical forms for her.

the doctor was unable to do the medical on our daughter and advised us to contact chc directly to get the forms.

we went to the chc office in the morning and returned in the afternoon to collect the medical forms for our daughter and then she was able to undergo the medical.

the chc representative advised that the doctors are not supposed to conduct a medical with out the direct intervention of the chc office by way of the forms given to the applicants.

all the forms we used were printed with our passport numbers and came with some of the pictures that had originally been sent in with the application for permanent residency.

i'm sure that other cases may be different but thats how mine went.

-------------
Applied Nov 2007, Docs Request Nov 2008, Medical & Proof of Funds Mar 2009, PR Granted Oct 2009, Landed June 2010.

Wishing for a better Jamaica.

Posted By: sami55
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 10:10am
i am visiting my canadian wife in canada at the moment.she will sponsor me as OUTLAND UK spouse applicant so we are preparing everything to submit in feb or march..shall i go for medical here in canada now wait until requested to do so.
we have received spousal sponsor pack but MEDICAL SECTION contains appx C only ....THERE IS NO IMM 1017 ....WHERE DO WE GET THAT FROM? WHEN SHALL I GO FOR MEDICAL

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 10:19am
You bring the Appendix form to the DMP.
Once your medical has been completed the DMP will issue you the IMM 1017 form.
Its basically a form from the doctor which states you have complted the medical.
Bring passport sized photo as the DMP needs to affix the photo to the IMM1017 form.

Do remember that a medical is only valid for 1 year so I would do the medical as close as possible to the date you are ready to submit the application.

Also, Spouse/Common Law/Conjugal Partner sponsorship applications are supposed to submit the medical "up front" (include it in the application) as part of the package. I would think if you did not submit the medical with the application it would be returned to you as being incomplete.

Unlike parental sponsorship were the medical will be requested by the Embassy when they are ready for the medical portion of that type of application since it can take several years in processing. 

Posted By: dpenabill
Date Posted: 09 Dec 2009 at 2:36am
ditto rbenoit, as to all posts above by rbenoit

The reason I concur that the experience reported by Stablous above (medical re-do prior to request) is probably not just an exception but a rare exception is not just the reports seen in these forums from others, but also because of the importance CIC places on assuring that the identity of the person undergoing the medical examination is the same person who is the applicant and the same person who underwent the first examination, that and combined with other information on the forms allowing them to find one another in a vast bureaucratic system. Technically, as I understand things, a medical professional assesses the medical report separate and apart from (though based upon) the DHP's exam and assessment. I would expect them to compare the medicals if a re-do is required, which again requires identifying info on the forms that puts the different medicals together, and I expect that part of the reason for comparing has as much to do with confirming the identity of the subject as it does with making a medical assessment. I am speculating a bit about the latter, but it is consistent with the former, that is the importance CIC places upon making sure the identity of person is the same for the app, the medical, and any medical re-do, about which I am quite sure.

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration

Print Page | Close Window