Print Page | Close Window

PR card Renewal

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Preserving Permanent Residence Status
Forum Description: How long can a permanent resident remain outside of Canada? Commentaries on preserving permanent residence.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1311
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 4:28pm

Topic: PR card Renewal
Posted By: Suraya
Subject: PR card Renewal
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 12:10pm
I have applied for PR card renewal , My Current PR card expires on OCT 2010, I think it might take 3 to 4 months to renew ,

Please can someone share their experience , after applying what will be the next process,
What documents do i need to collect like T4, T1, Bank Statements ....

-------------
Suraya

Replies:
Posted By: canvis2006
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2010 at 12:40pm
If they need the documents they will send you a letter.
Otherwise you will be asked to collect your new card from nearest CIC office and at that time you will surrender the expiring PR card...

Keep the documents, in case they ask for them......hopefully by that time you will have become a citizen....

Posted By: justified
Date Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 7:32pm
I just received request to re-submitting my photos. mine was from crown to chin 25 - 35 mm and the spec. I received with the new request is 20-30 mm

Do any of you know when they changed this photo requirements? is it something new or been a while that they changed ?

Also do you know how this affect the process? make it much longer? or does it mean everything is fine and after they receive my photos they will just make the card and send it ?

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 8:17pm
they have re-designed the PR card thats why the specs have been changed

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by canvis2006 canvis2006 wrote:

they have re-designed the PR card thats why the specs have been changed

thanks for your reply, do you know when did they changed it ?

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 12:11am
I guess afew months ago.....but I'm not sure....

Posted By: Tine
Date Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 11:53am
Yeah, somewhere in early summer. My daughter received the "old" type of PR card in July. I applied for mine in July and received the new one in November (yes, NOVEMBER!!!). I'm confident that they have dealt with the backlog by this time and it shouldn't take you this long.

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 2:11pm
I hope not. I just received new photos requirements, not sure if this means that they are end of processing my renewal or in the beginning. wait and see I guess, besides waiting answer for my rq:(

Posted By: Beaver
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 1:54pm

I'm interested to see how the new PR card looks like...

Posted By: maple
Date Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 3:22pm
I never surrendered my old PR card with application as I had to travel. So CIC sent me notice 1 month in advance to pick my new PR card at CIC local office. My kids were given a different date to pick cards ( they have to miss school day) and me and my wife were given a different date to pick cards. You have to be personally present to pick your PR cards.As I picked my PR card one week before my kids PR card, I asked CIC officer about picking kids PR card without them. CIC officer told me that minors must be present to pick PR card.

There were 40-60 people on day we have to pick our new PR cards and already there was a long line 30-40 minutes before PR pick-up time. Many thought that infront of line will make them wait less but were wrong.All applicants were seated in a big hall and there were 3 CIC officers seated behind tables, each with around 20 envelops. They were calling last names and once you approach them, they do look at your passport ( old and new) and COPR and two forms of ID. they stamp your COPR and tells you that now this COPR is no longer valid for travel and give new PR card. 4-5 people came without passport/COPR and were told to pick up PR cards from CIC office later only after bringing those documents, so they were not given PR cards . There was a person in 50s, who came to pick up his adult son PR card. His son was on vacation and CIC officer was listening to his fathers whole argument that why he should be allowed to pick up his adult son PR card. I left before that issue was resolved but CIC officer was very patient with that elderly guy.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 3:24pm
Also they do take away your old PR card..

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 8:46pm
hi all,

here is the story of my pr renewal up to now.

I applied 2 Nov. 2009, they start to process 5 Feb. 2010, they sent me a letter requesting new photos because my head was big for them with the first one - because they wrote my zipcode wrong it took sometime letter to reach me (3rd week of Feb.) . They received new photos on 8 March. They made a decision on 9 March 2010 that they approved my renewal.
I just checked my ecas.

They also stated that they will send me a letter within 4 weeks for when & where to appear.

I will post new updates as it goes along. hope this week thing would be shorter than it seems.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 12:20am
to avoid delay in pr renewal due to photo size issues, go to a photographer who routinely do pr/citizenship photos. thats the safest bet. otherwise take photo specification page that comes with pr renewal application kit to photographer. photographers who routinely take pr/citizenship photos already have photo specification page in their studio and they will also stamp back of photo with date and their address thats another requirement

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 2:57am
i took that paper to the photograph, it was a fault of my lawyer imo, long story. anyway I am done pr renewal, (and not done with RQ, which will take much more time :(  )

I don't how long it will take for them to send me to the invitation to get the new pr card. probably they will send it to St.Clair (where is not doing good with me RQ case)
Online it stated that will be in 4 weeks, hopefully it will be shorter.

Even PR renewal takes 4 or more months!:(

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 12:16pm
yeah it's a shame everything in Canada takes a long long time.....imagine what it will be like in a decade from now, lol

Posted By: Tine
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Beaver Beaver wrote:

I'm interested to see how the new PR card looks like...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/resources/publications/images/prcard-front.jpg - prcard-front.jpg

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 2:19pm
I have sent the application on Jan30th 2010 for renewal of PR card, Photo were taken on Dec 26th 2009 , Will CIC request new photos for me ?

-------------
Suraya

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 2:21pm
Will they give RQ for PR  card renewal also ? if so that really sucks 

-------------
Suraya

Posted By: inmigrado
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 8:27pm
Hi, I sent my PR renewal thing more then a month ago.
I still have not received anything in mail. Am i supposed to?
I sent it registered mail, but i lost the damn canada post paper with tracking to see if they got it.
Can i call and check if they got it?

Sorry if the question is redundant.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 10:36pm
you can check it by calling CIC. actually you can check your pr renewal status from ecas. you will have the same client id.

the process timeline is 105 days last time I checked. If you requested urgent process than you might hear back soon (you have to submit your travel documents/tickets)

when decision made they send you a letter not before that. I submitted mine 2 Nov. and they started to process it 5 Feb 2010. Process is at the same location for all people Sydney, NS.  only pickup place-closest local office differs from others.

so it might take 2 more months for you to see an update in your renewal case.

In such places like CIC offices, passport application offices Canada post office tracking might not work well. Because they receive large quantities and they don't update/can't track. (This happened to me when I submitted my RQ documents, which drove me crazy for a while)

hope it helps inmigrado

Posted By: Ivy2010
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 12:33am

My PR card will expire in Aug. 2010. May you share how to renew/extend it such as procedure, required documents? thanks.

Posted By: inmigrado
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 8:04am
http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/information/applications/prcard.asp

Here you go ivy...
Click on renewing or replacing the card...

PS: thanks justified. it helps a lot...

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 3:38pm
Please can any one post the PR Card Renewal Experience, other then Passport what CIC officer will ask , better what documents need to carry along with passport and PR Card (OLD)

-------------
Suraya

Posted By: Alisaleh
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 7:17am
Here is my PR renewal timeline

Sent Application 20th JAN 2010
Received at CIC 25th JAN 2010
Approved 26th JAN 2010
I received a letter on 2nd FEB 2010 to collect them on FEB10th 2010
Went and collected them on MAR 12th 2010

The whole process in less than 3 weeks

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 7:19am
They asked about the time I was out of Canada, where do I work, how much I earned last year, where I live. The guy was friendly and straight.

Date Posted: 21 Mar 2010 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Alisaleh Alisaleh wrote:

Here is my PR renewal timeline

Sent Application 20th JAN 2010
Received at CIC 25th JAN 2010
Approved 26th JAN 2010
I received a letter on 2nd FEB 2010 to collect them on FEB10th 2010
Went and collected them on MAR 12th 2010

The whole process in less than 3 weeks

did you put a rush on it? sometimes you tell and prove that you are going to travel soon they rush it, that's why I ask.

where did you pick it up?which was your local office?

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 12:02am
Yes I did. Collection was from St Clair.

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 2:56pm
Mine is also St. Clair office
and my renewal was approved, hopefully it will be fast like you although i didn't put rush on it.

Posted By: alibaba
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 10:18am
mine was approved first week of march but havent heard anything about a pickup.

Date Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by alibaba alibaba wrote:

mine was approved first week of march but havent heard anything about a pickup.

where is your local office?

Posted By: ParadiseCrystalz
Date Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 9:13pm

CIC got my Application March 8th. I had my pictures taken at Costco, now I am hoping the pics were the right size. I told the guy I wanted for PR card and I said should I show you the paper? He said no need to....So we'll see...and the waiting begins for the PR Card...lol ( In addition with my citizenship).....the never ending wait continues...

-------------
Office:Windsor Apply:Feb 17,09 Rec Exp-post:Feb 23,09 Online Stat Recieved:Jul20,09 Recieved ACK:Aug6,09 Process Start:Sept22,09 File Trans:OCt21,09 Test:Jan6,10 RQ:Jan6,10 HandedRQ:Jan12 Hearing:???

Date Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 6:06pm
finally a good news.

I just received a letter to pick up my new PR card.

they written the letter on 25th of March, sent it 26th and today I Received.

I have to go my local office on 15th of April, as far as I understood from the letter there is going to be an interview. worries me a little bit.

they have a timeline,I can go to pick up between 8:30 - 15:00 I am not sure if I should go in the morning or noon!???

I will post my experience.

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 8:48am
Hi Justified, Please share your experience,

ALL THE BEST  

-------------
Suraya

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 3:53pm
It seems CIC not moving any files from past 3 weeks, still processing upto Jan18th 2010 , I have applied on Jan 31st

-------------
Suraya

Date Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 6:45pm
I don't know where you learned that but if it is from the website but if it is they might have not updated

-------------
received by CIC May 4,2009>process started May 7,2009>transferred June 11, 2009>test August 28, 2009>RQ req. August 31, 2009>RQ submitted Nov. 2, 2009>Oath date Jan. 21,2011.ST.Clair, Local Office

Date Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 11:23am
Yes i closing following the CIC website ( http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/index.asp - Check application processing times )

-------------
Suraya

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 12:11pm
I just came from CIC office -picked up my renewed PR card - local office is St.Clair/Toronto

In the letter they give a time line to come - between 8:00-15:30
I went 11:00 (Thought there would be morning rush - people who work come in the morning)
I pick up a number, there are 10 counters and 4 counters were open.
5 people were before me. Whole process was around 30 minutes.
When my number was called, went to my counter. Officers asked me what did I do after graduation (graduated 1 year later than first land) I answered. He looked at my passport. Didn't look my driver license or landing paper (which was asked to bring in the letter)
He asked me to check the info on the card; I signed a paper that I picked up the card.
This was the whole process.

I applied 2 Nov. 2009 - resent the photos (problems with the photo req) - Received pick up letter 29 March 2010 - Today 15 April 2010 the end:)

Hope this helps. Wish my citizenship process was this smooth

-------------
received by CIC May 4,2009>process started May 7,2009>transferred June 11, 2009>test August 28, 2009>RQ req. August 31, 2009>RQ submitted Nov. 2, 2009>Oath date Jan. 21,2011.ST.Clair, Local Office

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 2:04pm
Congrats , thanks for posting your experience 

-------------
Suraya

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 9:11am
waiting time now 105 days to renew

-------------
Office:Windsor Apply:Feb 17,09 Rec Exp-post:Feb 23,09 Online Stat Recieved:Jul20,09 Recieved ACK:Aug6,09 Process Start:Sept22,09 File Trans:OCt21,09 Test:Jan6,10 RQ:Jan6,10 HandedRQ:Jan12 Hearing:???

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 11:37am
Layoff might effect it seems, Waiting time is increasing

-------------
Suraya

Posted By: canon
Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 12:04pm
Please, I have a couple of questions on PR renewal, and I'd appreciate an advice here:

1- Can a person go for short travels (not more than 10 days max) while his/her PR is under renewal process? (Note: Current PR still valid)

2- In application, they request for a copy of valid passport OR copy of the passport held at the time one became a permanent resident. Do they want copies of all pages or just the main page (holders details) only.   

Posted By: pmm
Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 12:48pm
Hi

Originally posted by canon canon wrote:

Please, I have a couple of questions on PR renewal, and I'd appreciate an advice here: 1- Can a person go for short travels (not more than 10 days max) while his/her PR is under renewal process? (Note: Current PR still valid)2- In application, they request for a copy of valid passport OR copy of the passport held at the time one became a permanent resident. Do they want copies of all pages or just the main page (holders details) only.   

1. Yes.
2. All pages.

-------------
PMM

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 5:29pm
Thank you PMM..

I have one more question on the collection of PR card pls.. In the application in one part it says  "Applicant to receive a letter from CIC advising him/her of when or where to pick up the card". And in another part it says "If you do not pick up the card at the local office within 180 days, the card is returned to CPC-Sydny to be destroyed ........".  So, is picking up the card by scheduled appointments? And if it is so, what about the 180 days allowable period? Or does it mean an applicant change that given appointment within the 180 days period? Can anybody pls advise on this?

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 11:20am
I think u can pick the PR card anytime with out appointment with in 180 days after CIC letter to pick the PR  card 

-------------
Suraya

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 5:13pm
Thank you Suraya so much.

Anybody else who is more certain about this matter with no doubt?

Question is =>
 In the application in one part it says  "Applicant to receive a letter from CIC advising him/her of when or where to pick up the card". And in another part it says "If you do not pick up the card at the local office within 180 days, the card is returned to CPC-Sydny to be destroyed ........".  So, is picking up the card by scheduled appointments? And if it is so, what about the 180 days allowable period? Or does it mean an applicant change that given appointment within the 180 days period? Can anybody pls advise on this?

Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 1:55pm
now 130 Days to open the PR renewal form ........
More dust is piling up

-------------
Suraya

Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 7:01pm
renewal up to 130 daysConfused

-------------

Date Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:31pm
I guess things have started to really slow down at CPC Sydney, NS.
It's gonna take forever to apply and obtain any status documents from CIC now.......I wonder what the very-efficient minister is gonna do about that

Date Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:25am
Hello,

Can anybody please answer my previous question on the PR card collection. Whether it's going to be through an appointment on a specific date they schedule, or is it open for collection on any day within the 180 days?

Date Posted: 19 May 2010 at 9:35am
I guess it is open for collection , u can pick up any day with in 180 days 

-------------
Suraya

Posted By: svee
Date Posted: 20 May 2010 at 10:45pm
Mr canon, i happened to see your question about PR card collection. I applied for PR renewal in Sept 2009 . I got a letter to come and collect on feb11 2010, at that time I was not in the country. I returned only in march 13th 2010,when I contacted CIC they asked me to collect from the local office. I went to the local CIC office ,  returned the old card and presented the letter sent by CIC to collect the card and got my new card. i did not fix any appointment. My local office is in Montreal.

Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 9:36am
Hi Svee,

Thanks for reply, Please can you share your experience with officer, Do i need to take all documents like passport, Health card, DL, Tax Paper .....or any thing ?

Thanks

-------------
Suraya

Date Posted: 21 May 2010 at 1:19pm
Hi Suraya,
There was no interview, I was asked to go to a counter  I gave the letter(sent by cic to collect PR card)  to the gentleman,  I showed my passport for ID, He took my old PR card and  he gave the cover which had the new PR card. Any how i was having my health card and driving license with me. Take your passport, your driving license and health card for ID. 

Date Posted: 23 May 2010 at 11:58pm
svee, thanks a million, I appreciate your feedback. Now it's crystal clear. I also would like to thank  Suraya for all the efforts.

Date Posted: 25 May 2010 at 7:49pm
You are welcome canon. you have to take your landing paper too. but i was not asked to produce it when i collected the PR card.

Date Posted: 26 May 2010 at 1:45pm
Now 137 days to open the application more dust piling up , 

-------------
Suraya

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 10:54pm
It's 144 days now  :( 

Wonder whats going on causing all this delay!

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 8:34am
This is totally failure of CIC the way they are processing the files for PR card renewal , CIC need to reform from past 2 months files were not moving even 1 inch more and more dust piling up same like Citizenship application

May be in coming months PR card renewal might take 6 months  which might be standard time for CIC

-------------
Suraya

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 9:01am
I have checked my ecas now,  mine got approved will notify with in 4 weeks where to collect the card (nearest office)Thumbs Up

-------------
Suraya

Date Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 9:11am
We received your application for a permanent resident card on February 1, 2010.

We started processing your application on May 31, 2010.

Your request for a permanent resident card was approved on May 31, 2010. You will be notified by mail within four weeks and invited to pick up your card at the CIC office closest to you.

-------------
Suraya

Date Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 12:43am
Congratulations Suraya

Pls update us upon receipt of your actual PR card. 

Posted By: Nippon
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 11:35am
Hi:
I had a chance to speak to CIC about the PR renewal process. They informed me that they received over a 1000 applications on one day in Feb 2010, and that has created a significant backlog, especially given the recent developments related to labor force....but they said it is being worked on very seriously, and should be solved soon.

Best wishes to all.

Posted By: dpenabill
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 3:19am
Given that are around 250 business days in a year . . . and . . . not sure but I think the total number of new PRs every year is several hundred thousand . . . not all of whom apply for citizenship, definitely many who apply for a new PR card every five years . . . a thousand a day sounds like it should be just about the average. Or, at least not a surprising number on any given day.

As in, this was not a good excuse . . . dog ate my homework is as good . . . as in not.

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration

Posted By: IslandGirl
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 4:39am
I know who just received their initial PR card - 50 days from landing
No problems with photos or anything, the call centre advised that even new PR cards are taking 4-6 weeks plus mailing.

Once you see the new PR cards, you might be able to understand what's taking a bit longer

-------------
Used to be known here as "feb7" - there's no doubt to my gender this way
http://tinyurl.com/ydsvlx4 - My previous profile

Date Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 9:29am
Now 151 days for PR renewal , it seems 6 months will become standard time , All the best for all applicants (PR renewal)

-------------
Suraya

Posted By: can2k9
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 12:07am
how much time it takes to renew the PR card. and how many months one can stay out of canada with the PR of 5 years?

Posted By: DUB88
Date Posted: 19 Jun 2010 at 2:22pm
Kindly reply to my question ASAP.
i Submitted a PR card renewal application and it was approved and a letter was sent to my friend's mailing address in Canada, Unfortunately that time i was outside Canada accompanying my Canadian husband. as my PR card is expired, i needed a travel doecument to go back and pick up my new one.
I got the travel document finally and booked the ticket, But as my friend lost the letter she recieved from the CIC , Please share your experience and let me know if I can go and pick up my PR card anytime ? and what documents shall i take with me?
Please note that my canadian driving licence and health card were expired 3 months ago as well.
and the letter to pick up the card was sent on January 14th 2010.

thanks for your replies :)

Posted By: jane
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 6:08pm
wow! three problems wish you luck.:))

Posted By: ecs
Date Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 7:27pm
OK, good that you were able to get the Travel Document taken care of. As far as I am aware, not having the letter may not be a problem. Just have your expired PR card for them to pull your client number. Secondly, the MOST important thing would be to show that your staying outside canada accompanying your Canadian husband. You need to have all the proof for
1. You are married to Canadian husband and his proof of Canadian citizenship (A copy of his Passport etc)
2. Your address proof where you are living with sufficient prrof that he is living with you as well.

Try to focus on what they could ask you on your relationshipo with you husband because thats the only reason you are able to maintain a PR despite staying outside Canada.

Your License and Heatlh Card does not matter since you are not within Canada.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by DUB88 DUB88 wrote:

Kindly reply to my question ASAP.
i Submitted a PR card renewal application and it was approved and a letter was sent to my friend's mailing address in Canada, Unfortunately that time i was outside Canada accompanying my Canadian husband. as my PR card is expired, i needed a travel doecument to go back and pick up my new one.
I got the travel document finally and booked the ticket, But as my friend lost the letter she recieved from the CIC , Please share your experience and let me know if I can go and pick up my PR card anytime ? and what documents shall i take with me?
Please note that my canadian driving licence and health card were expired 3 months ago as well.
and the letter to pick up the card was sent on January 14th 2010.

thanks for your replies :)

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 4:50am
Thanks ecs ..... that was very helpful . appreciated.
I went and picked up my PR card , there was no problem.
Now , on may.13th , an invitation to the Oath Ceremony was sent to me as well but i also couldn't go and had to re-schedule for the same reason that i couldn't get my travel document on time.

now that i have my PR card, i can go anytime the Oath will be rescheduled ... but any idea how long it will take ??

thanks all.

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2010 at 11:38pm
PR renewal processing time is 186 days now! I feel totally helpless! 

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 10:54am
Yes Every week PR renewal process increasing the time line, may be soon it might take same like Citizenship process 12 to 16 months

-------------
Suraya

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 7:54am
Yes you're right :)   But how about the period of time they need to re-schedule an Oath ceremony ...? any idea??

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 10:02am
I guess it might take 3 to 4 months for Oath reschedule 

-------------
Suraya

Posted By: mtllog
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 2:45pm
it is 193 days today !

-------------
Rec'd -Nov 18, 2009/ Ecas-Apr 07/ Letter-Mar 26, 2010, /in process Sep 30 2010 /Transfer - Dec 14 2010 /Test-Feb. 1 2011/ Oath-May 11 2011/

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2010 at 2:12pm
delay.. delays..... , May be CIC is targeting to reach current Citizenship time line for PR renewal process also

-------------
Suraya

Posted By: CORAINT
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2010 at 10:36pm
Yes.. PR Renewal Time is definitely getting longer every week.. Disapprove

Posted By: mtllog
Date Posted: 06 Aug 2010 at 12:05pm
yep , it is 200 days as per today .

-------------
Rec'd -Nov 18, 2009/ Ecas-Apr 07/ Letter-Mar 26, 2010, /in process Sep 30 2010 /Transfer - Dec 14 2010 /Test-Feb. 1 2011/ Oath-May 11 2011/

Posted By: swanley12
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2010 at 4:07pm
Does anyone know if there there anything that can be done to speed up the process? I need to start travelling outside of the country on a regular basis for work and I believe you can only get your travel document once. There have been no renewal applications processed since February 8th and I can't imagine something that used to be processed in a number of weeks is now going to take up to a year!

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 2:40pm
I must acknowledge, more than six months to process the renewal of a PR card seems inordinately long. One must wonder what is going on. One might wonder, though, as well, hmmmmm, there must be a reason for this.

Nonetheless, yeah, six plus months to process a "renewal" (my bar association renewal takes about a day, my driver's license or car registration about a half hour, and so on) is disconcerting.

In the meantime, while I do not actually know, I suspect there is no way to accelerate such a bureaucratic process. These things tend to be what they are. I understand the TD process results in the issuance of only one TD. Of course one can apply for a TD as often as one is abroad and needs to have a TD to board commercial transportation destined for Canada.

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

Posted By: iwannabecanuck
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2010 at 3:18pm
what did PRs use before this PR Card was introduced?  They should let the PRs use that again as official status document.

Posted By: Victory
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 1:44pm
Since it now takes 6 months to renew  PR CARD, mine is supposed to expire mid- march 2011, is it possible to send my renewal request mid- october 2010?Or is it too soon?

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 11:43pm
No, mid-October is not too soon. Sending sooner than October is not too soon.

-------------

Posted By: Victory
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 10:25am
Ok , thank you!

Posted By: luckystar
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 12:36am
Hi, guys,
My friend applied the PR card Renewal ( urgent) last week. Today, he checked the e-cas, it shows "Decision Made". But when he clicks it, it further indicates :

"We received your application for a permanent resident card on August 16, 2010.

We started processing your application on August 16, 2010. "

There's no any decision displays, neither approved nor unpproved . Is this normal?
Any idea? please.
Thanks

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:44am
Apply as early as possible (in advance) to ensure you get it renewed in time, even as early as 8-9 months!
CIC does not have issues with that because the processing time is huge anyway

Posted By: benson
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 2:27pm
211 days to renew as per today. This is a disgrace even for a third world country.

I think that apart from the initial issues that brought the processing up from around 80 days, there is now another reason for the delay. I suspect that people, seeing the long time, just gave up the card renewal until they really need it for travel and they have airline tickets. At that point they use the 'urgent' route.

So now as more people use the 'urgent' processing, CIC is having to allocate more and more people to work on urgent applications, and thus cannot keep up with the normal queue. This is a terrible mismanagement.

I helped a friend apply three months ago. The card will expire soon and nothing is moving. She will have to use the urgent track as well.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 11:05pm
If a person has already applied for PR renewal, and after few months towards the expiry date - and before receiving the renewed card - had to travel, how would he/she use the urgent process/track then? Should he/she apply a whole complete new file attaching proof of travel? Or just forward the proof of travel referring the current application under process? Can somebody advise on this please? 

Posted By: GabGil
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 11:21pm
Canon,

you can find at this link

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/pr-card/apply-how.asp#urgent

the info you need.

G.

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 5:55pm
Thank you GabGil, That link does not answer my question. It refers to the application that has been longer than the received up to date posted on website and applicant have not yet received the card. My question if application was within the posted period (Which been increasing every 10 days past 4 months), but card got expired or got close to expiry during that period, and something came up and you had to travel. Details on link does not exactly cover such cases! I'm not quite sure though!

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 8:47pm
canon,

sorry, I misunderstood your situation. The best thing to do is to call them. Most likely they never thought that the processing time was going to be so long that people could be in situations like yours.

G.

Posted By: benson
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 3:36am
Cannon,

I am a bit confused by those instructions as well. I also don't understand why it matters how you sent the application.  I think the bottom line is that you need to wait until your application is being processes and send/fax a new one then.

But one must give them a call to figure it out. They have created a big mess.

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2010 at 12:04pm
Well, it seems they re-started to process PR renewals. It shows they are processing applications received up to Feb 16. If I remember right it was stuck at Feb 8 for a long time.

G.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 3:34pm

Hello every one,

If your a PR working outside canada for 2years, are there any problem returning back to canada ?

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 6:02pm
jane,

it depends. If the day you come back it is less than 3 years since you became a PR, then no problems. Otherwise the officer at the POE may question you about your residency obligations. See Sec. 5.1 in

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english//resources/manuals/op/op10-eng.pdf

G.

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 6:26pm
Thanks, your life wire, second ouestion: I fell in love with some guy as a PR,and I want him to come live with me in canada , an America Citizen .I want to know if is possilbe.Third Ouestion if I come in and out ,to canada  as a PR,to maintain my PR I'm I qualify to apply for a citizenship.Thanks

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 7:24pm
Yes, as a PR you can sponsor him, but since there are several options on how to do it (as a married couple, as a common law couple, inland, outland, etc.) better if you post this question in the "Family Class Sponsorship" topic. Actually better first to start to read the stuff on the CIC website about family sponsorship:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/index.asp

One important thing about sponsorship is that during the process you must be in Canada (since you are a PR).

In term of citizenship you need 3 years of physical presence in Canada (out of 4 years). So, time spent outside Canada does not count.

G.

Posted By: Minnie
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 1:46am
Hi, can I get some help here?

I am accompanying my Canadian husband in the states. Do I have to go back Canada to file PR card renewal? Can I mail the application over and physically pick up the card at the later time? Thanks for any experience sharing and suggestion.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 10:41am
don't know your question's answer Minnie, but you need to send some documents which should support for renewing your pr. I mean it's not as easy as renewing your driver license. so if it is been quite some time that you have been in states, you might want to send more supporting documents to be on the safe side.
supporting documents such as if you attended some classes, you marriage license etc. married person would know much better of course.

-------------

Posted By: Minnie
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 5:58pm
Thanks, Justified. I will put more supporting documents in my renewal application.

Anybody has the experiences of filing outside Canada?

Print Page | Close Window