Print Page | Close Window

Studing outside of Canada

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Preserving Permanent Residence Status
Forum Description: How long can a permanent resident remain outside of Canada? Commentaries on preserving permanent residence.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1245
Printed Date: 30 May 2024 at 8:44pm

Topic: Studing outside of Canada
Posted By: afterlove91
Subject: Studing outside of Canada
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 5:48pm
Hello! I am new to this messaging board, but I have a situation on my hands.

I am a university student and have been offered an undergraduate fellowship to study in America for summertime, but I have no student visa and my permanent residency is still 'in process' after three years of being here. I do have OHIP, license, etc but no PR card or landed paper. I am a dependent.

I must make my decision to go by this Friday, or else I will lose my spot. It is a very competitive summer research geology fellowship and I really want to go!!  

Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks to you all.

-------------
C.O.

Replies:
Posted By: canvis2006
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2010 at 11:30am
What's your status in Canada ?
You're a dependant on parents? what is the category of PR application you/your family applied for?

If there is no risk to your PR application, then go for it.
Otherwise I would suggest you to wait for PR status and then go study in another country......

Another question: Since you're not a PR here, will the USA give you a visa to study in their country? It's not a guarantee, it also depends on your nationality.....some face more scrutiny than others.....

it's all dependent on your priorities/status/nationality, etc......

Posted By: afterlove91
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 5:05pm
I am American by birthright and my PR application is 'in processing'

-------------
C.O.

Posted By: canvis2006
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2010 at 11:41pm
Well in that case you can go ahead and study, but you need to be mindful about the residency obligations of permanent residency (once you get that status).

Check www.cic.gc.ca

Rest is your decision....

Print Page | Close Window