Print Page | Close Window

PR card

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Preserving Permanent Residence Status
Forum Description: How long can a permanent resident remain outside of Canada? Commentaries on preserving permanent residence.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1240
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 7:43am

Topic: PR card
Posted By: spirit-88
Subject: PR card
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 8:31am
I need someone to help me regarding some questions, my fiance is now in canada working with a work permit and has submitted his papers to get PR , they told him the process takes 6 to 9 months, he submitted his papers on december 2009, and hasn't recieved a reply from them yet to start his medical examination and hasn't got a file number yet.

my question is does the 6 to 9 months period is counted from the day he submitts his papers or from the day they issue a file number from him??

and he has applied for PR as single and now we want to get married but that will change his status from single to married.

if we get married now will this affect the PR or cause a refusal or big delay?

i want to know how can i join him there with his current situation, because i've visited the immigration website but couldn't get an answer out of it.

Can anyone help me please with accurate information?

Thanks,

-------------
Mariam

Replies:
Posted By: scylla
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 10:28am
Did you apply inland or outland?

-------------
Outland Spousal (Buffalo):
App recd: 05/28/2010
Sponsor approved: 06/28/2010
Processing started: 08/19/2010
Passport request: 10/01/2010
Landed: 10/05/2010

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 10:32am
i haven't applied for anything yet but my fiance is in canada so he applied inland

-------------
Mariam

Posted By: blackpearl
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 11:32am
If he got married before he receive PR status, he has to inform CIC and add you as spouse into his current PR application. The two of you will be processed for PR together.

If he got married after he receive PR status, he can apply to sponsor you as PR.

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 11:35am
but will the change of maritual status would cause big delay in the process, and if we didn't get married now and waited untill he got his PR , when he sponsor me to get my PR can i stay with him till i get it or i'll have to stay out of canada??

-------------
Mariam

Posted By: blackpearl
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 12:04pm
It will cause a delay, I don't know for how long.

If he waited and sponsor you after he got PR, you may not be granted visitor visa to come to Canada. Check with CIC for how long outland sponsorship will take. 

Print Page | Close Window