Print Page | Close Window

Allowed Searching for a Job While Visiting?

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canadian Employment / Jobs
Forum Name: Canada Job Topics
Forum Description: Working in Canada, Average salaries, Work & Study Programs, etc.
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10601
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 7:47am

Topic: Allowed Searching for a Job While Visiting?
Posted By: ValerieUSA
Subject: Allowed Searching for a Job While Visiting?
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2012 at 5:16pm
Hi. I have a quick question and will be copy/pasting my issue from a post I made on another site. If it's in the wrong area, please move it.  Thank you.

My question is: Am I allowed searching for a job while visiting Canada? 

Here is the full post from the other forum. 

Hi there. I am new here (obviously) so I'm not sure if I am posting this is the correct area. I've searched the job/work areas and they both seem to have a little of everything in them. I am 28 and from the states. I have been to Canada quite a few times (for a week or two each) over the years. I would like to get a job during my next visit (so I can stay there fulltime, eventually). I saw on the CIC website that you can apply from within Canada as well as outside of Canada. I do not have any job experience that is listed on the exempt lists, yet I only have work experience as a cashier/customer service here in the states. I've had 2 jobs over the years, both lasting 2 years. I currently work as a freelance writer/self-employed while looking into Canada (it's always been a dream of mine) and looking for an outside job so I have a steady pay-check. I saw that I would most likely need a written letter for a job offer. Is there a way to look for a job (just see who's hiring, talk to people, etc) while I am in Canada without breaking any laws? I'm not sure how to go about getting a letter of recommendation for a cashier/convenience store/customer service since they are readily available positions. My preferred location is within Toronto, since it's the area that I know people from. 

Thank you. 

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong area, please move it if so.

Replies:
Posted By: newcomers
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2014 at 4:52pm
not really you can.
as you do not have working visa

Posted By: lutch
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 9:16am
Your safest bet is to contact CIC to make sure that you can scout for jobs while on a visitor's visa. IMO you're not formally working so it may not violate, but I am not sure.

As far as getting a job offer letter for a cashier's job or the sort, that may be a hit and miss exercise. You will not qualify as a Federal Skilled Worker, but probably as a Temporary worker and will be able to apply for Permanent Residency from within Canada ONCE you meet the requirements. 

Posted By: ski
Date Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 11:42am
I would say that visitor visa does not preclude one from negotiations (which is what looking for a job is).

You are not supposed to enter into employment on a visitor visa, but entering employment and negotiating a job are two different things.

Print Page | Close Window