Print Page | Close Window

Timeline for Ottawa CIC office

Printed From: Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum
Category: Canada Immigration Topics
Forum Name: Canadian Citizenship
Forum Description: Commentaries outlining important issues in acquiring Canadian citizenship through naturalization
URL: https://secure.immigration.ca/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10592
Printed Date: 09 May 2024 at 7:56am

Topic: Timeline for Ottawa CIC office
Posted By: mvb
Subject: Timeline for Ottawa CIC office
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 10:28am
Hi Guys,

The Ottawa CIC office is silent for a while......

Let the Ottawa office people share our timeline here: My timeline is in my signature.

Congrats for Capnace for his recent test without RQ so far.

Hope test schedule requests will follow for others as well.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: capnace
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 1:54pm
Hi
That's a good idea so we'll be able to compare our time line in our local office. At my exam the officer told me that due to the closure of Gatineau Office, unfortunatly files processing will be longer than usually, because Gatineau file's are transfered to Ottawa.
Anyway let's hope and cross finger.

Best..

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2012 at 10:34am
Now I understand why Ottawa takes more time between transfer to test!

Prior to 2010, Ottawa cic takes usually two months or three months max.

It is already five months gone....waiting?

Is there any update, groundhog.....

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 3:11pm
Anybody got the test recently? I know, Capnace got it in Sept...

I am waiting from April 2012 for the test....Waiting kills big time...

-------------

Posted By: capnace
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2012 at 7:59pm
No test no ceremony as long as I know. Still waiting

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 12:24pm
Atlast Ottawa woke up after a while and I got the test notification today after 19 months! My test is on Jan 14, 2013....

Happy Holidays to everyone

-------------

Posted By: nexus
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 1:40pm
Good luck! Did mine in 2010 @ St-Catherine/Bank

Posted By: kingstonian
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2012 at 5:52pm
there was a test on nov.21st.2012 in ottawa and there were 2 ceremonies in kingston in november.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 11:50am
I had the test yesterday at 10:30 AM (around 20 people) and the few questions are tricky. As I read the book couple of times and it helped me, apart from practising online questions.

I noticed that there was one more session of test going before me at 8:30 AM.

I must say that the interviewing CIC officer was quite accommodating!

Congrats Capnace for the Oath ceremony!

-------------

Posted By: cvv31
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 2:32pm
Hi guys

So glad I found you. This is my first post.

Here is my timeline for our citizenship application

June 2011 - applied
July 2011 - acknowledgment letter
Sept 2012 - file transferred to Ottawa Office and RQ !!!! :(, sent all documents within 2 weeks.

STILL WAITING!

Is it normal ? no news, no test dates, nothing nothing nothing
Should I worry ? or is it normal ?

Posted By: EasyRider
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by cvv31 cvv31 wrote:

Sept 2012 - file transferred to Ottawa Office and RQ !!!! :(, sent all documents within 2 weeks.

STILL WAITING!

Is it normal ? no news, no test dates, nothing nothing nothing
Should I worry ? or is it normal ?
Yes, it's normal. It's a pre-test RQ and it reportedly adds 12-48 months to a regular timeline depending on a local office (at least for some offices I've heard of). I don't know what's delay for Ottawa though. You can call CIC and ask them for current RQ timeline estimate for your local office, they have the numbers in their internal system.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 3:09pm
Thanks EasyRider.

I did not know you can actually CALL them for RQ timeline estimates.

Adding 1 to 4 years ? That is depressing. I didn't expect the Ottawa office to be as busy as Toronto or Monteal or Calgary

Maybe I will try to call them it is not a bad idea, I hope I will get through! If I get an answer I will post it for all

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 3:33pm
I don't know about Ottawa office, it's a relatively small place, but for places like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal etc. call centre agents were able to quote expected delays for reviewing RQ's from CIC internal website. Maybe you'll be able to press agent to provide this information to you.

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 3:37pm
Now you got me into this. I am curious. Ottawa can't be as busy as the other biggies, I will try to call them maybe tomorrow if I get a chance and whenever I get an answer I will post it for sure

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 10:48am
Originally posted by EasyRider EasyRider wrote:

I don't know about Ottawa office, it's a relatively small place, but for places like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal etc. call centre agents were able to quote expected delays for reviewing RQ's from CIC internal website. Maybe you'll be able to press agent to provide this information to you.

The workload in Ottawa CIC also increased after the closure and transfer of files from Gatineau and Kingston offices, which is reflected the long processing time in Ottawa nowadays!

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 11:48am

what about the staff working in Gatineau and Kingston ? don't get transferred to Ottawa ?

It makes sense anyway. It is going to take longer, there is no doubt about that.
mvb you applied  3 months before me ! wow congrats for your test on Monday!

Posted By: Harmonia
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 3:26pm
My spouse submitted her app in early December 2012.
Let the waiting game begin!

-------------
Citizenship App Sent: December 2012

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 3:44pm
Good luck Harmonia! Enjoy the waiting Wink

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 3:45pm

what about the staff working in Gatineau and Kingston ? don't get transferred to Ottawa ?

Gatineau gets to Ottawa. See complete table:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/ob431.asp

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 4:12pm
Thanks EasyRider for the reference. That 's too bad. Longer waiting times ahead.
I had a friend who lived in Gatineau, she got citizenship after about 12 months. She said it was fast. I believed her. Cry

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 9:46pm

Thanks EasyRider for the reference. That 's too bad. Longer waiting times ahead.
I had a friend who lived in Gatineau, she got citizenship after about 12 months. She said it was fast. I believed her. Cry

Is it after 2011? All of my friends in Ottawa got theirs within 9 months before 2010.

Things got changed now......

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:00am
mvb
no it was before 2011 maybe that is why!

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 11:07am
Still no news about the Oath ceremony! But the background check is expiring on March 05, which make me bit worried...

If it is after March first week, CIC had to redo the background check, which will delay my case further (I had already passed the 21 month wait period)

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 5:42pm
Today I got the letter for citizenship Oath on Mar 14 and I waited for this event for 24 months!

I am thankful for the fellow forumers for giving awesome suggestions, particularly to some valuable people like dpenabill, pmm, others.

-------------

Posted By: dpenabill
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 6:10pm
Congratulations. Long road. Nice finish.

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 11:36am
I know this is not very interesting ... I cannot help it I AM CONFUSED.

I am one of those pre-test RQ victim (Ottawa office), it has been nearly 6 months since I responded. Still waiting ...

Now here it is: I had to renew my PR card as it will expire this summer and we want to travel. They started processing my application on Jan. 27th and just found out it was approved on March 5th.

THAT MAKES 37 DAYS TO APPROVE MY RENEWAL where I submitted to them the SAME PAPERS in responding to my RQ (just a lighter version)

So my question is "Why on Earth it is taking them 37 days to approve a PR card" while they are still  "processing" my citizenship.

Evil Smile if I am resident for a PR-renewal, why it has to be different for citizenship ? same T4s, same notice of assessment, same address

IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE ..... even though I am happy that I will get my new PR card, I had to do this because I am not a citizen yet .... can anyone explain this to me ?

I know PR renewal and citizenship process are different, but the paperwork submitted is the SAME, proof a residency and all that .... yes I am going crazy! Angry

Thanks for answer, maybe someone can find some sense in this

Posted By: ski
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 1:38pm
I guess that's because PR status is much easier to revoke than citizenship in case a mistake is made.

So PR renewals are processed with far less scrutiny and fewer checks.

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 2:52pm
Still doesn't make sense ... if PR is given based on residency requirements and citizenship too where the same papers are given for submission, at this stage, why can't a CIC officer put "two" and "two" together ?

We all know process is different but it still doesnt make sense for someone who applied for citizenship once 1095 days were passed then apply 2 years later for renewal of PR where proof of residency is again required, for those ones who doesn't leave Canada it comes to one and the same thing so for a standard 21 months processing time, at first place, those immigrants should not have to apply for the renewal at all.

That is why it doesn't make sense to me at all ... Unhappy

Why don't they think of that ?

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 2:56pm
I guess another way of putting this, in my case:

I sent a heavy package for proving my residency requirements for the past 5 years in September 2012  for RQ then send it again in January 2013 for renewing PR because RQ is still in process, the PR took 37 days while the RQ is still in process ... I guess one can just laugh about it Smile

Still doesn't make sense, why dont they give then the citizenship right away instead of renewing PR .... that may be good for just a bit if they call me for the test Embarrassed

Still doesn't make sense

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 3:00pm
Hi Cvv31,

Did you get any chance to talk to call center agent about the RQ processing time in Ottawa?

I hope it is not crazy like GTA!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 4:11pm

So my question is "Why on Earth it is taking them 37 days to approve a PR card" while they are still "processing" my citizenship.

Assessing proof the PR spent 730 days present in Canada during the last five years is a lot easier than assessing proof that a PR was both present in Canada for 1095 days in just four years, and had established and maintained residence in Canada for that time frame.

Remember: all that is required to meet the PR residency obligation is presence in Canada (730 days out of 1825 days). A PR can actually meet this even though the PR's primary residence is ordinarily outside Canada.

To qualify for citizenship, however, the PR must establish and maintain residence in fact for at least three years out of four (1095 days out of 1460). (Unless and until the PR establishes in-fact residence in Canada, there is no period of residence to calculate.)

They not just different, they are very different.

Additionally, the observation by ski is also a good one. The level of scrutiny is obviously going to be more thorough when citizenship is at stake.

-------------
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 4:24pm
Thanks dpenabill.

My point is that they are thousands of applicants who satisfy 1095/1460 that will satisfy automatically 730/1825 and that should come obvious from the application forms and docs submitted.

I know that both processes are very different, what I say is that for some applicants it is inclusive therefore the PR card renewal is redundant. It is more money for CIC, and waste of time and paper for those concerned applicants therefore creating unnecessary delays.

It is obviously not all about residency. Wonder what happenend to the CSIS background check they made before getting the PR visa.

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 5:27pm

My point is that they are thousands of applicants who satisfy 1095/1460 that will satisfy automatically 730/1825 and that should come obvious from the application forms and docs submitted.

This is a good observation.

This illuminates one aspect of just how easy it would be to determine an applicant for citizenship has met the PR residency obligation -- as you say, it will be obvious from the application forms and docs submitted the PR met the much lower 730/1825 standard.

Does not work going the other way.

Remember: a PR can be absent for up to 1095 days in the relevant time frame, and still be in compliance with the PR residency obligation. If an applicant for citizenship is outside Canada for a mere 366 days in the four years preceding applying, they do not meet the actual, physical presence standard.

More than just days present at issue:

I have a hard time being clear about this, but in a variety of posts I have tried to clarify that the residency assessment is not just about proving actual presence for 1095 days.

Ultimately, for the Citizenship Judge, the applicant who proves 1095 days actual presence has proven residency for citizenship (although CIC did argue against this in a recent case; but the Federal Court rejected CIC's argument that if the CJ finds the applicant did not centralize his life in Canada, the CJ could deny approval even if the applicant had proven 1095 days actual presence -- unfortunately a Federal Court decision is not binding in other cases, so technically CIC can make this argument in other cases as well).

But most of us facing RQ know we have stronger cases than that, cases in which there should be no need for CIC to take it all the way to a hearing with the CJ. We want to submit sufficient evidence to persuade CIC to return our files to a paper review. We want to be citizens sooner, not three or four years down the road.

For this, the calculation of days actually present is just one part of the assessment. Proof of actual residency is the other big part. If the proof of actual residency has gaps, CIC appears to infer the possibility the applicant had undeclared absences is sufficient to warrant taking the case all the way to a hearing with the CJ even though the applicant submitted strong proof of actual presence greater than 1095 days. (Note: despite the referenced argument by CIC above, the applicant who proves actual presence for 1095 days almost certainly will be determined, by the CJ, to have met the residency requirement; so, in terms of ultimate outcome, that is not usually the concern, not for those who know they have a strong case.)

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 8:22am
Thanks dpenabill
I agree with what you say, that makes sense Smile

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 11:38am
Today I became a proud Canadian and it is an awesome moment!

Around 78 people came in for Oath and the ceremony lasted about an hour.

Thank you guys.....

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 2:46pm
Congrats! mvb

That gives me some hope, you applied just 3 months before me but no RQ for you!

Congrats again!

Posted By: Gussie
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 2:51pm
Can everyone post their timelines here so we can track the progress:

Application    6 Mar 2012
Received       8 Mar 2012
In Process    23 Nov 2012

Nothing so far...15 Months waiting..

Posted By: satangel
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 9:49pm
Hi Ottawa waiters Smile

This is my timeline :
Application    12 Aug 2012
Received       17 Aug 2012
In Process    17 Jan 2013

Anyone can tell us why ''In process'' is coming soon but staying longer?
I heard that' the new trend now

Thanks

-------------
Simple mind, happy man

Posted By: mikeathome
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2013 at 10:00am
My Timeline:

This is my timeline :
Application    26 May 2011
Received       30 May 2011
In Process    24 Jan 2012
Test              1 March 2013

Called today (Jun 6) call agent told me that they don't have the test results yet...

mike

Date Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 11:20am
Any news updates for people got oath, test or RQ from Ottawa office ??

Please update and keep it alive !

Thanks All !

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 8:46am
We took test early March and finally got our test results last Friday, after 4.5 months. That should be faster now as you get the results straight after the test. This is confirmed for Ottawa as other friends took test two weeks ago and were given the results 20 mins after the test.

It looks like that from test taken to oath ceremony, in standard cases, it takes about 6 months. We have several friends who are all in this time frame, incl. myself.

Q:
To all who got their citizenship: Is it possible, in principle, to go to the passport office in Ottawa straight after the ceremony? What is required?

Well, you could say another one who just leaves the country after he gets citizenship. The truth is, I want to visit my dying dad one more time. I like to travel with Canadian passport on re-entering to avoid q's. It's a couple hundreds km from the place we live to Ottawa...

Overall process time to-date: close to 26 months, no oath date yet, possibly September

mike

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 11:46am

Originally posted by mikeathome mikeathome wrote:

We took test early March and finally got our test results last Friday, after 4.5 months. That should be faster now as you get the results straight after the test. This is confirmed for Ottawa as other friends took test two weeks ago and were given the results 20 mins after the test.

It looks like that from test taken to oath ceremony, in standard cases, it takes about 6 months. We have several friends who are all in this time frame, incl. myself.

Q:
To all who got their citizenship: Is it possible, in principle, to go to the passport office in Ottawa straight after the ceremony? What is required?

Well, you could say another one who just leaves the country after he gets citizenship. The truth is, I want to visit my dying dad one more time. I like to travel with Canadian passport on re-entering to avoid q's. It's a couple hundreds km from the place we live to Ottawa...

Overall process time to-date: close to 26 months, no oath date yet, possibly September

Congratulations on passing the test.

As for applying for the passport, last I saw was this:
Quote New citizens need to wait at least two business days after their citizenship ceremony before applying for services such as a passport.
This is quoted from the CIC web page http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/cit-ceremony.asp - Prepare for the Citizenship Ceremony .

No need to apply for the passport in Ottawa however. There are passport service locations in many other locations. In Windsor for example. Sure, for someone who is outside Canada and just traveling in for the oath, that is not convenient.

As for time from test to oath:

Originally posted by mikeathome mikeathome wrote:

In standard cases, meaning the majority of routinely processed applications, going forward the timeline between oath and ceremony should be a matter of days or weeks, not months, and way, way less than six months. Of course for some it will be longer, months, even six months, or for some even longer than that.

But for most routine applicants, my sense of the recent changes regarding test procedures (including notifying applicants of test results and scheduling re-tests) is that they are in part intended to facilitate shorter timelines to oath ceremonies. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob530.asp - Operational Bulletin 530 (Retesting and communicating results of the citizenship knowledge test) , particularly the part discussing next step if applicant passes the test.

Beyond that, reports of personal experience indicate wide, wide variation in how long it takes to be scheduled for the oath. Some are scheduled for the oath before they even appear for the test, the oath scheduled for same day, next day, within the week. Others are given notice of the oath at the test event, timeline ranging from within the week to within a month. Many appear to be scheduled for the oath within one to two months.

But we have some participants here who have been waiting, following the test, for many months, still no notice, no RQ, no other indication of non-routine processing, but still waiting.

So, no guarantees. But for most the oath should be scheduled a lot sooner than six months after the test.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by dpenabill dpenabill wrote:

Congratulations on passing the test.

Thank You!

New citizens need to wait at least two business days after their citizenship ceremony before applying for services such as a passport. This is quoted from the CIC web page http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/cit-ceremony.asp - Prepare for the Citizenship Ceremony .

No need to apply for the passport in Ottawa however. There are passport service locations in many other locations. In Windsor for example. Sure, for someone who is outside Canada and just traveling in for the oath, that is not convenient. 

Another Thank You. Our closest office is Whitby, so that's where I'll go. Anyway, truthfully following the application process would require you to a) take a printer with you and b) your guarantor in person who has to certify your application after you completed it. The application requires you to fill in the Citizenship Certification number which you only know when it is handed out to you after you signed it after the oath.

As for time from test to oath:
In standard cases, meaning the majority of routinely processed applications, going forward the timeline between oath and ceremony should be a matter of days or weeks, not months, and way, way less than six months. Of course for some it will be longer, months, even six months, or for some even longer than that.

But for most routine applicants, my sense of the recent changes regarding test procedures (including notifying applicants of test results and scheduling re-tests) is that they are in part intended to facilitate shorter timelines to oath ceremonies. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob530.asp - Operational Bulletin 530 (Retesting and communicating results of the citizenship knowledge test) , particularly the part discussing next step if applicant passes the test.

Beyond that, reports of personal experience indicate wide, wide variation in how long it takes to be scheduled for the oath. Some are scheduled for the oath before they even appear for the test, the oath scheduled for same day, next day, within the week. Others are given notice of the oath at the test event, timeline ranging from within the week to within a month. Many appear to be scheduled for the oath within one to two months.

But we have some participants here who have been waiting, following the test, for many months, still no notice, no RQ, no other indication of non-routine processing, but still waiting.

So, no guarantees. But for most the oath should be scheduled a lot sooner than six months after the test.

I totally agree with you, especially with your very last sentence. Well, what I posted is -as it looks from our perspective- the standard time frame for Ottawa. I have a few colleagues and friends which all were moved to Ottawa when Kingston got closed down. With two consequences: We are all over 26 months already, no RQ issued and all waiting already more then 4 months for a oath ceremony to be scheduled. Based on these data i would contemplate it's the Ottawa specific time frame. Maybe they under direct supervision of CIC. But Kenney is located in BC is he?

mike

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 12:20pm
Hi,

One of my friends got ceremony notice on Aug 1st

her timeline:
applied Aug 2011
in process April 2012
Test March 2013
Ceremony Aug 2013

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 9:32am
Please to keep us updated with any cases in Ottawa...(files update, test or ceremony dates)

Thanks, Clap

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 5:20pm
Hi,

I called yesterday CIC, they confirmed me that my file was finally transfered to Ottawa office by June 26th. (In process since januray 17th).

How long it takes to get the exam invitation?

Thanks

-------------
Simple mind, happy man

Date Posted: 16 Aug 2013 at 9:50am
Hi satangel ,
thank u for ur post. I think ottawa office is going very slow. I am tracking some cases of my friends (one got ceremony on Aug 1st 2013) she is Aug 2011 applicant.

Another one is Nov 2011 applicant who got test date in July 2013.

So from this i guess they are handling Dec 2011- Jan 2012 applicants.

My case: Applied Mar 2012 - in process Nov 2012. I expect if everything is ok to get test date end of Sep 2013 or October 2013.

Best of luck to all Thumbs Up   

Date Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 11:23am
Any updates people in Ottawa ??

Let us know please...

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 2:29pm
Hi guys

Here is my update awfully depressing I guess like many I am still in the waiting, for sure Ottawa office is SLOW Angry

Applic received June 2011
RQ received Sept 2012 (yes it is ONE YEAR NOW) responded within 2 weeks
Waiting
Waiting
Waiting
Confused

You asked for an update, here was mine Cry

-------------
Application Received: Jun 10 - 2011; In Process: Sept 7 - 2012; RQ received: Sept 7 - 2012; Test Date: April 14 -2014

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2013 at 10:41am
Applied 8 Mar 2012
in process 23 Nov 2012
Test 23 Sep 2013
+
Clap

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2013 at 4:32am
My wife had the test (Sept 25, to be precise!) and passed it. She was told to wait for Oath (from 3 to 6 months)

Surprisingly test results were announced at the end of the test!

-------------

Posted By: ccie10391
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2013 at 1:17pm
Applied for myself and my wife in a single package in Nov 2011. Application accepted on December 13, 2011. CIC started processing application on Nov 3, 2012 and my wife immediately received RQ. Provided all the documents within 2 weeks. 
Received invitation to appear for citizenship test in early June, 2013. Successfully passed the test on June 18, 2013. Still waiting since then...

Posted By: C-Kay
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by ccie10391 ccie10391 wrote:

Applied for myself and my wife in a single package in Nov 2011. Application accepted on December 13, 2011. CIC started processing application on Nov 3, 2012 and my wife immediately received RQ. Provided all the documents within 2 weeks. 
Received invitation to appear for citizenship test in early June, 2013. Successfully passed the test on June 18, 2013. Still waiting since then...

We almost have the same timeline, husband got RQ, did our test end of June and were told it will take up to 3 months. In the meantime we checked the mail everyday. End of September still nothing, we call CIC and we were told that the letters for the oath ceremony were sent in August! The letters got lost in the mail. We were told to write a letter and fax it to the Ottawa office.

I would call them if I were you.
My boss' pr card got lost in the mail. (sent from the Ottawa office around the same time)

Posted By: Vancan2012
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by C-Kay C-Kay wrote:

We almost have the same timeline, husband got RQ, did our test end of June and were told it will take up to 3 months. In the meantime we checked the mail everyday. End of September still nothing, we call CIC and we were told that the letters for the oath ceremony were sent in August! The letters got lost in the mail. We were told to write a letter and fax it to the Ottawa office.

My boss' pr card got lost in the mail. (sent from the Ottawa office around the same time)

You missed your oath ceremony? Aside from not receiving the letters, do you not check eCAS? Was your eCAS updated with the oath information? I am a bit concerned now how CIC is communicating information to clients.

-------------
Vancouver S03/12 L03/12 IP11/12 RQ 03/13 XFER 03/13 Currently In Process

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Vancan2012 Vancan2012 wrote:

You missed your oath ceremony? Aside from not receiving the letters, do you not check eCAS? Was your eCAS updated with the oath information? I am a bit concerned now how CIC is communicating information to clients.

Yes we missed the ceremony, it was end of August. Letter was sent Aug 6.
I remember I checked ECAS around mid-August, there was nothing. So we didn't bother until around end-september. We thought it was usual to take a few months since others were waiting too. After we called them, we checked online, and there they were updated.

Posted By: Vancan2012
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 3:59pm
This is exactly what I have been fearing, is that applicants miss the CIC event letter and subsequently suffer consequences. With the latest OB in effect after September 3, your application could now be closed if you miss the exam/oath/hearing.

Now I will be checking eCAS at least once a day, knowing that there are some applicants who have lost an important piece of mail and get delayed by at least 2 months as a result.

I highly recommend you use this app to check your status more often, if you have an iPhone or iPad. 
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cicappstatus/id654435465?ls=1&mt=8 - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cicappstatus/id654435465?ls=1&mt=8

-------------
Vancouver S03/12 L03/12 IP11/12 RQ 03/13 XFER 03/13 Currently In Process

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2013 at 6:26pm

Ouch... Thanks for sharing. I will definitely call them. 
BTW, eCAS still shows "In Process".

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 9:34am

Ouch... Thanks for sharing. I will definitely call them. 
BTW, eCAS still shows "In Process".
[/QUOTE]

Mine still shows in process. BTW you have to click on the "in process" to get a more detailed breakdown.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 10:16am

Mine still shows in process. BTW you have to click on the "in process" to get a more detailed breakdown.

Yep, I did that, doesn't show any new information after the test. Actually contacted call center today, they advised that application is still in approval pending status. Still need to wait.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 10:44am
Weird that we did our test around the same time and they sent me the oath letter after a month, while you haven't received anything yet.

That's why I didn't bother checking frequently on eCAS because everyone's been waiting for a few months. Plus they didn't update my status on eCAS when they sent out the letters. They sent the letter Aug 6 and I checked mid-Aug and there wasn't anything. Test was on Aug 27.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 4:26pm

Weird that we did our test around the same time and they sent me the oath letter after a month, while you haven't received anything yet.

Actually there is nothing weird about such variances; while the timeline from the date Sydney receives the application to the date the application is actually opened, a completeness check done, and is put "in process" is fairly consistent, at least for applicants applying at the same time (actual timeline will flucuate some during the course of the year), after that individual timelines begin to vary considerably, and at each next step in the process there will be variances.

This is part of many applicant's frustration: there is so little predictability about what will happen when, and it is not a matter of just weeks, let alone days, but as is often seen, even for the apparently most routine applicants, the timeline between test and interview, and the oath, can vary from the same day to a week to a month, to many months.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2013 at 9:24am
Hi everyone...

Any news of people waiting oath...
Please update us...

Thanks..

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 10:52pm
Our ecas was updated. We have our oath ceremony on November 7.

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 9:13am
Hi C-Kay,

Thanks for the update. Congrats !!

Can we know when did you have your test (which date)?
For us to track...

Thanks...Clap

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 10:56am
I have been waiting for a test date since Sept 2012, that is when I sent my response to RQ I received 15 months after I applied.

My total waiting time since application is now 29 months. According to the website they say to call after 35 months. Now should I wait or should I call ?

No ecas update for us .... total silence ... no news ... nothing nothing nothing ...

-------------
Application Received: Jun 10 - 2011; In Process: Sept 7 - 2012; RQ received: Sept 7 - 2012; Test Date: April 14 -2014

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 10:58am
Hi CVV31

I guess you have to wait till 35 months.
Then call them. This is what my friend did.

good luck..

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Gussie Gussie wrote:

Hi C-Kay,

Thanks for the update. Congrats !!

Can we know when did you have your test (which date)?
For us to track...

Thanks...Clap

Thanks! :)

Here's our timeline
Application sent Dec 2011
Started processing Nov 2012
Husband received RQ Mar 2013 (I asked for our files to be separated but they were kept together)
Sent RQ documents Apr 2013
Received letters for test May 2013
Test June 25, 2013
Oath ceremony Aug 27 (letters sent Aug 6)
Missed Oath as letters were lost in the mail. Faxed letter to explain reason on Sept 26
New Oath ceremony Nov 7 (letters sent on Oct 24)

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 12:05am

Congrats! Don't miss it Wink

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2013 at 9:37am

Congrats! Don't miss it Wink

Thanks! We sure won't :P
The ceremony will be held at Perley and Rideau Veteran's Health Centre instead of the cic office.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 1:43pm
hi everyone,

got my ceremony on Nov 9 finally.

Applied: 6/3/2012
Received: 8/3/2012
In Process: 23/11/2012
Test: 23/9/2013
Ceremony: 9/11/2013

Single file..

Good luck to all

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 1:54pm

hi everyone,

Single file..

Good luck to all

Question-- today is Nov 4, ceremony is on Nov 9, is it CIC sending letters so close to ceremony or you got it a while ago?

-------------
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At5U1gEsWR9CdEo1OXNzdDlQR3NGV2Z5YlBQZVJMVXc - Montreal Citizenship Timelines

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 3:30pm
Got it 31/10/2013

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 3:41pm

Got it 31/10/2013

Thank you, Gussie, and congrats on becoming Canadian.

-------------
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At5U1gEsWR9CdEo1OXNzdDlQR3NGV2Z5YlBQZVJMVXc - Montreal Citizenship Timelines

Posted By: tracker_00
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 5:50pm
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share with you my road to becoming proud Canadian citizen:

Date of entry: Jan 27, 2003 (Came to study in Canada)
Date of PR: December 10, 2009 (Graduated university, worked for 1 year, immigrated under CEC)
Date of eligibility for Citizenship: Jan 19, 2012 (Normally this should be 2 years after PR (i.e. Dec 10, 2012). However, I went on vacation few times which totalled 20 days of absense.
Date of application for Citizenship: January 23, 2012
Date the application received by CIC: January 25, 2012
Date status changed "In Process": November 21, 2012
Date of exam: August 22, 2013
Oath: October 27, 2013 (Ceremony was held in Canadian Tire Place. Unforgettable experience).

After almost 11 years of being in this country, I can proudly say that I am Canadian.

If you guys have any questions or would like more info, please let me know.

Good Luck to all!

P.S. My local office is Ottawa, ON

Posted By: exempligrata
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 12:58am

hi everyone,

Single file..

Good luck to all

This is fantastic news Gussie! I'm so glad to see that Ottawa's timeline appears to be improving; albeit, so slightly considering that for a while it seemed that over 21 months was the norm.

-------------
Applied.......Mar 2013
In Process....May 2013
Test..........Feb 2014
Oath..........Mar 2014
Passport......In 5 business day's

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 1:07am
Originally posted by tracker_00 tracker_00 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share with you my road to becoming proud Canadian citizen:

Date of entry: Jan 27, 2003 (Came to study in Canada)
Date of PR: December 10, 2009 (Graduated university, worked for 1 year, immigrated under CEC)
Date of eligibility for Citizenship: Jan 19, 2012 (Normally this should be 2 years after PR (i.e. Dec 10, 2012). However, I went on vacation few times which totalled 20 days of absense.
Date of application for Citizenship: January 23, 2012
Date the application received by CIC: January 25, 2012
Date status changed "In Process": November 21, 2012
Date of exam: August 22, 2013
Oath: October 27, 2013 (Ceremony was held in Canadian Tire Place. Unforgettable experience).

After almost 11 years of being in this country, I can proudly say that I am Canadian.

If you guys have any questions or would like more info, please let me know.

Good Luck to all!

P.S. My local office is Ottawa, ON

Congratulations tracker_00

Even more great news! I am guessing that when the status of your application changed to "In Process" that the old definition held true, so that means it took about 10 months for your file to be transferred to Ottawa... that is good news indeed!

-------------
Applied.......Mar 2013
In Process....May 2013
Test..........Feb 2014
Oath..........Mar 2014

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 11:02am
My wife got oath invitation letter for Nov 19.

Here is her timeline:

Application for citizenship on March 14, 2012.
Application processing on November 29, 2012.
Citizenship test on September 25, 2013.
Citizenship ceremony to be held on November 19, 2013.

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 12:57pm
Lots of good news. Congratulations to all who have finally gotten their call to take the oath.

And thanks for reporting this here, since the good news, the positive outcomes, help to keep things in perspective.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2013 at 3:55am
Originally posted by mvb mvb wrote:

My wife got oath invitation letter for Nov 19.

Here is her timeline:

Application for citizenship on March 14, 2012.
Application processing on November 29, 2012.
Citizenship test on September 25, 2013.

Citizenship ceremony to be held on November 19, 2013.

mvb, this great news! Time to celebrate Smile

Looks like it took about 8 months for your wife's file to be transfered to Ottawa... not bad at all. 

-------------
Applied.......Mar 2013
In Process....May 2013
Test..........Feb 2014
Oath..........Mar 2014

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2013 at 2:37pm
Thanks exempligrata! It took 2 years for me from the date of application to oath, but my wife is getting 19 months!

I have to thank other forum members like dpenabill, easyrider (to name a few) for the positive vibe in the forum.

-------------

Posted By: kombrayki
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2013 at 3:04pm
Hello There, any did the test end of October and get the oath letter
Did my test on Oct 31 and still waiting on my oath letter
please post your timeline to compare
thank you

Posted By: chandu007
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 11:43am
Hi, Anyone in this thread with an in-process RQ at Ottawa CIC office? I got mine submitted to Ottawa a week ago.BTW, my local office should be Scarborough, ON.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2013 at 12:04pm
Applied for myself and my wife in a single package in Nov 2011. 
Application accepted on December 13th, 2011. 
CIC started processing application on Nov 3rd, 2012 and my wife immediately received RQ. 
Provided all the documents within 2 weeks. 
Received invitation to appear for citizenship test in early June, 2013. 
Successfully passed the test on June 18th, 2013.
Called CIC recently, they advised my file is completed, but have to wait until my wife's file will be processed. They also said that they haven't even started assessing her documents, said to call back again when 35 month will pass since they accepted documents, which is pretty much a year from now. However, I was not convinced with the answers, as the person from call center mentioned that they will start working with the documents only when they receive all the documents requested by RQ, which they did a year ago. I guess my next step is to submit an ATIP request. 

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 6:53am
A sampling of various Ottawa timelines from across the web:

IMMIGRATION.CA

C-kay
 Applied.................. Dec 2011
 In Process............. Nov 2012 (11 months)*
 Test...................... June 2013 (7 months)
 Missed Oath......... Aug 2013 (2 months)
 Oath..................... Nov 2013 (3 months)
 Total = 23 months *

mvb
 Applied................... April 2011
 In Process.............. Mar 2012 (11 months)
 Test....................... Jan 2013 (10 months)
 Oath....................... March 2013 (2 months)
Total = 23 months

mvb's wife
 Applied................... March 2012 
 In Process.............. Nov 2012 (8 months)
 Test........................ Sept 2013 (10 months)
 Oath....................... Nov 2013 (2 months)
 Total = 20 months

tracker_00
Applied................... Jan 2012
In Process............... Nov 2012 (10 months)
Test......................... Aug 2013 (8 months)
Oath........................ Oct 2013 (2 months)
Total = 20 months

Gussie
 Applied..................Mar 2012 
 in process..............Nov 2012 (8 months)
 Test......................Sep 2013 (10 months)
 Oath..................... Nov 2013 (2 months)
Total = 20 months

Gussie's friend number 1
Applied............... Aug 2011
In Process.......... April 2012 (8 months)
Test..................... March 2013 (11 months)
Oath.................... Aug 1st 2013 (5 months)
Total = 24 months

Gussie's friend number 2
Applied................ Nov 2011
Test..................... July 2013 (20 months)
Oath......................

ccie10391
Applied................ Nov 2011
In Process........... Nov 2012 (12 months)
Test..................... June 2013 (7 months)
Oath.....................

cvv31
Applied................. June 2011
 Transfer................ Sept 2012 (15 months)
RQ......................... Sept 2012
Test.......................
Oath.......................

satangel
Applied.................. Aug 2012
In Process............. Jan 2013 (5 months)
Transfer................. June 2013 (5 months)
Test
Oath

mikeathome
Applied................... May 2011
In Process.............. Jan 2012 (8 months)
Test......................... March 2013 (14 months)
Oath

kombrayki
Applied................... June 2012 
In Process.............. Feb 2013 (8 months)
Test....................... Oct 2013 (8 months)
Oath

CANADAVISA.COM

coolbreeze30
Applied..................... May 2011
In Process................ Mar2012 (10 months)
Test.......................... Jan 2013 (12 months)
Oath.......................... Mar 2013 (2 months)
Total = 24 months 

rafkik
Applied.................... Aug 2011
In Process................
Test......................... Jan 2013 (17 months)
Oath.......................... Mar 2013 (2 months)
Total = 19 months

anandoc
Applied....................... Sept 2011
In Process.................. Nov 2012 (14 months)
Test............................. Feb 2013 (3 months)
Oath............................ April 2013 (2 months)
Total = 19 months

clahanl
Applied...................... Apr 2011
In Process................. Nov 2011 (7 months)
Transfer..................... Dec 2011 (1 month)
Test............................ Feb 2013 (14 months)
Oath

Leonina
Applied....................... Nov 2011
In Process.................. Nov 2012 (12 months)
Transfer..................... Jan 2013 (2 months)
Test............................ June 2013 (5 months)
Oath

moti
Applied................... Apr 2011
In Process
RQ........................... March 2013 (11 months)
Test
Oath

BRITISHEXPATS.COM

Teja
Applied...................... Jan 2010
In Process
Transfer...................... Nov 2010 (10 months)
Test............................ Jan 2011 (2 months)
Oath............................ Feb 2011 (1 month)
Total = 13 months

stepnek
Applied....................... Dec 2008
In Process.................. May 2009 (5 months)
Test............................ Jun 2010 (13 months)
Oath............................ Jun 2010 (0 months)
Total = 18 months

* Lapsed time between stages

* Total time to process application from start to finish

-------------
Applied.......Mar 2013
In Process....May 2013
Test..........Feb 2014
Oath..........Mar 2014

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 9:01am
Thank you exempligrata,
here is my timeline so you can add it too

Applied: June 15, 2012
In Process: February 1, 2013
Test: Oct 31 2013
Oath: Still waiting

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 8:01pm

exempligrata, very good work!

I wanted to mention, for the guys who will be writing exam soon: It is a good idea to take you CBSA records with you, so that officer can match the stamps in your passport with what you said in your application and with info on your CBSA records.

When she was checking my stamps and I had shown her CBSA records, she was really happy and said "You guys learn quickly what you need to bring". Just my thoughts.

Thank you.

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 9:08pm
You got me worried now
In my case she just checked the stamps. She did not ask a question!
Is there a possibility to get a RQ
The only question she asked is where do you work

Please advise
I passed the test by the way

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 9:27pm

Originally posted by kombrayki kombrayki wrote:

You got me worried now
In my case she just checked the stamps. She did not ask a question!
Is there a possibility to get a RQ
The only question she asked is where do you work

Please advise
I passed the test by the way

Few questions is probably a very good sign.

Most applicants have little to worry about at this stage.

RQ is possible, but not likely for someone who is qualified and for whom there is no reason for CIC to doubt their case.

Congratulations on passing the test. You should probably expect to be scheduled for the oath in due course.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 12:21pm
Congrats on passing the test. I think you will be ok. Maybe she didn't ask questions because everything was clear with your case or maybe she got tired of asking questions, or she simply forgot. Hopefully you will get a notice to take oath in a near future.

Date Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 1:42pm
Thanks exempligrata for summarizing cases

Still in waiting ... will be 30 months next week.
I decided to call CIC to see what they will have to say .... even that I couldn't success

"We are experiencing a high volume of call, pleaser refer to our website ...." then it got disconnected

Wonder whether it will ever happen .... part of my work is to keep Canadian citizens safe and it counts for zero when it comes to citizenship ... so unfair

I know my job has nothing to do with my application but still so frustrating ...

It is good to see applicants getting citizenship, most of them have applied after me ... I know each case is different ... still feel terrible!

Thanks all for the update

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 9:23am
Hello All,
Any updates for those who did the test in OCT 2013
Any updates for oath ceremony

Please Share

Thank you

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 4:12am

The following timeline from CANADAVISA.COM is very encouraging:

dperaje's wife

Applied............. Aug 2012
in process.........Feb 2013 (6 months)
RQ.................... July 2013 (5 months)
Test.................. Nov 13, 2013 (4 months)
Oath................. Dec 18, 2013 (1 month)
TOTAL = 16 months!!!!

I have a friend who's application was held up for more than 2 years after a RQ request, but on Friday she got her test invitation! 

Her Timeline:

Applied............ May 2011
RQ................... Sometime in 2012
Test................. Dec 9, 2013 (31 months!)

cvv31, your test invitation might be coming soon seeing that my friend has waited a little longer than you have.

mikeathome, I hope you get your oath invitation soon... it would be such a Christmas gift.

kombrayki
Applied................... June 2012
In Process.............. Feb 2013 (8 months)
Test....................... Oct 2013 (8 months)
Oath

-------------
Applied.......Mar 2013
In Process....May 2013
Test..........Feb 2014
Oath..........Mar 2014

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 10:37pm
Congrats for Dperaje's wife :)
My test was on oct 31 still no oath date
Doeraje's wife was nov 13 for dec 18
Any ideas, please share! Is it because she had an RQ!?
Thank you

Date Posted: 02 Dec 2013 at 11:54am
Thanks exempligrata

I know I am not the only one .... will keep it updated

It will be 31 months waiting next week !

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2013 at 9:43am
Any testers from October! anybody got their oath letter yet!
I checked form posts above that some applicants from end of Sept were having oath mid November!

Please share

Posted By: wizzZz
Date Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 11:06pm
Kombrayki, I too had the test on October 31st, I know that I definitely passed, was told that I would be notified shortly, might take up to a couple of months. Received no letter yet, neither in paper form nor electronically on their web site. 

My times are similar to yours, I applied in May of 2012, but never received a confirmation, status changed to Processing in Feb 2013, got the letter on October 15 2013, had the test on October 31st. No RQ. I suspect the ceremony will happen in January or early Feb.

The twist to my story is that my passport expires in a week after which I won't be able to travel out of Canada and if the winter is going to be anything like the last couple of weeks that means now midwinter break for me.

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 9:18am
Thank you Wizz for this information, really appreciation. Been waiting for someone from Ottawa to compare :)
As you said we have similar case, still no updates on web or letter, and no RQ.
Yes i think it will be in JAn/Feb - I will definitely keep you posted. Please do the same.

Thank again

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 9:46am
Wizz, you can also keep an eye on the following link which shows upcoming ceremonies;

http://www.cic.gc.ca/citcer/search-recherche-eng.aspx

Usually it gets updated on weekly basis, on Tuesday or Wednesday

Date Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 6:38pm
Hi,

I did the test on October 17th, nothing till yet.

I think it'll be early January (regarding the Ottawa office average).

Enjoy the year-end and think about the Oath after Clap

-------------
Simple mind, happy man

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2013 at 9:27am
Any updates for those who did the test in OCT 2013
Any updates for oath ceremony, still waiting on oath

Did the test on Oct 31

Print Page | Close Window