Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR CARD RENEWAL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CMFUGEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR CARD RENEWAL
    Posted: 11 May 2010 at 7:28pm
Hello

My wife's PR card will expire in May 2011, she needs to travel in the month of December,2010 and may not return for 6 months, means by the time she return her card will get expire, so i would like to know that how early can we apply for PR card renewal, i mean can she apply 3-4 months early before she leaves in December so that she can have her new PR card or what are other options except getting travel document from her country of departure.
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 10:06am

Hi CMFUGEN, welcome to the forum.

Personally in your case, I would apply for a renewal well before the planned overseas trip. CIC may only ask your wife why she is renewing her PR card early (or they won't ask at all). She can just explain to them her travel plans. Nothing to worry about here.

(I think CIC might even like that since a PR is paying for only 4 years validity out of the possible 5, LOL).

Okay back to being serious again.

Considering the recent layoffs in CIC that caused some processes to take longer there, I would suggest renewing the card 5-6 months prior to her trip. I think applying for a PR card renewal 6-12 months before the old one expires is just plain normal. What happens is she still keeps her old PR card while the new one is processed. When the time the new card is released, all she has to do is surrender the old one personally at CIC before they give her the new card. So no real issues there.

Worst thing  could happen is that the card won't get mailed in time before she leaves and she needs to apply for a travel document in her country anyway.

Good luck! Smile

ParadiseCrystalz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParadiseCrystalz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 10:53am
PR CaRD renewal now 123 days...
Office:Windsor Apply:Feb 17,09 Rec Exp-post:Feb 23,09 Online Stat Recieved:Jul20,09 Recieved ACK:Aug6,09 Process Start:Sept22,09 File Trans:OCt21,09 Test:Jan6,10 RQ:Jan6,10 HandedRQ:Jan12 Hearing:???
Suraya View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suraya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 1:51pm
it really sucks, To renew the PR card takes 123 days, To open the application 123 days

CIC is needs reforms for sure

Suraya
Beaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 4:13pm
Gadzooks! 123 days, eh?

Passport Canada takes only less than two weeks to issue a passport...wouldn't it be nice if CIC does the same for a PR card? 
happytaz View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happytaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2010 at 5:09pm
PR are 3rd class citizen !

We can't vote so no one cares if we complain !
Sent: April 7 2009 | Received: September 21 2009 |In Process: October 29 2009 | Transferred: December 7 2009 | Test : April 22 2010| Oath : July 1 2010
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic