Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - photo sizes different for Medical vs Immigration?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

photo sizes different for Medical vs Immigration?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: photo sizes different for Medical vs Immigration?
    Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 2:28pm
And me again (getting really stressed out today...Confused)

I just made an appointment for my Medical, and the secretary sent me an e-mail with what I will need to bring (tomorrow).
And now I am confused because the photo size she is asking for is "passport or citizenship" size, whereas the photos I am asked for in Appendix B are of a different ("immigration") size Confused

Does that mean that I need one set of photos that goes only to CIC (of the "Immigration" size) plus another set of photos which goes to the doctor doing the Medical (of the "Passport" size)????
RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 4:51pm
We gave the DMP copies of the same photos that we had taken to go with the PR application, both times that we had to get medical exams.  The people at the DMP's office don't necessarily understand that there's a difference between "passport" and "immigration" sized photos.  
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
valy79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 5:39pm
Thanks RobsLuv! I will do that then as well Smile
abstractioness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractioness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 9:46pm
Immigration photos are smaller, basically, and there is a difference in head size.

So you are correct, you do need 2 different sizes. For the medical, you want "Canadian passport" photos; for the application, you want the smaller "immigration" ones specified in the appendix.

Having said that, I get the impression that they're not as strict with the photo size on the medical, so don't kill yourself over it.

Edited by abstractioness - 28 Sep 2010 at 9:59pm
INLAND
Application received: 24 Sept 2010
Processing started: 15 Nov 2010
AIP: 27 June 2011
Landed: 4 Aug 2011
sami55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sami55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:21am

I agree with robsluv
and you have to comply with imm requirements exactly as IMM wants NOT as DMP wants...
your appx B tells you EXACTLY what the criteria are and (as I have advised before in previous posts)it is best to take that to the photo studio who is going to take the photos for you...
many applications (for passport etc etc even in other countries) are returned back BECAUSE THE PHOTO specifics do not comply.
yes there are different criteria for different types of applications.
ALSO IT IS worth noting that although some coin op photo booths may say
passport type photos ...they will NOT be compliant..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractioness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:49am
Appendix B specifies the size to attach to your immigration application, NOT for the medical.

I agree with sami that you have to comply with these requirements exactly -- for the correct part of your application. But the medical is different.

Citizenship photos are different from PR photos, by the way. For the CIC guide to citizenship it specifies "35 mm x 53mm" whereas immigration photos are "35mm x 45 mm". Canadian passport photos are "50mm x 70mm".

All the immigration guide (for inland, at least) says about the medical photos is to bring: "5 recent photos, taken within six months preceding the date of your examination." The DMP specifies passport photos. (I brought 5 and they only wanted 4, by the way). I really suspect that they're not as strict with the medical photo size but I would bring passport-sized photos as that's what my DMP said as well.

Edited by abstractioness - 30 Sep 2010 at 10:55am
INLAND
sami55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sami55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 10:57am
abstractionless
sorry many appologies to you...
i meant appx B and APPX C

the requirement specifics.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractioness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:20am
Okay, looking into some of the more region-specific forms apparently some of these DO actually say the immigration photo size... now I'm upset because I specifically DIDN'T use that photo size for my medical because the inland application medical part of the guide doesn't specify, so I went with whatever my DMP said, which was passport photos. I'm hoping that it'll be okay because presumably if they kept using passport photos and people got rejected, they would find out... hopefully... argh. 
INLAND
valy79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valy79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 11:38am
So, I have been at my Medical yesterday, and ended up bringing both "passport" size photos AND "immigration" size photos,  just to be on the safe side.
It turned out that the DMP office did not really care so much, but the receptionist ended up using the "immigration" size photos because she "likes them better because they are smaller and easier to stick onto the forms".

Btw, my region-specific form did not say anything at all about photo size for Medicals either (it actually does not say anything really about Medicals and what to bring...)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abstractioness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2010 at 12:09pm
Okay, so I called CIC, and the agent put me on hold for about 10 minutes while she went to find the answer. Here's the verdict: it doesn't matter.

Apparently there are NO requirements for the photos, whatever the DMP asks is fine, the immigration photo specifications only apply to the photos you attach to your actual application.
INLAND
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic