Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Landed Immigrant vs PR status?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shuwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Landed Immigrant vs PR status?
    Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 6:31pm
Could you please tell me what or If there is a difference between Landed Immigrant status and PR status?

I am have Landed Immigrant status.  I need to renew my status.  I needed to return home (US) to help with an elderly family member.  I'm trying to figure out IF I  will beable to renew my status or not.  I would hate it if I have lost my status but I had no choice.  Thank you for any direction you are able to give me.   We really would love to move back to the beautiful Country of Canada one day.   Broken Heart
IslandGirl View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IslandGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 6:44pm
How long have you been gone?
Have you been residing with a Canadian citizen spouse or common-law partner in the US?
Landed immigrant = PR

Originally posted by shuwilly shuwilly wrote:

Could you please tell me what or If there is a difference between Landed Immigrant status and PR status?

I am have Landed Immigrant status.  I need to renew my status.  I needed to return home (US) to help with an elderly family member.  I'm trying to figure out IF I  will beable to renew my status or not.  I would hate it if I have lost my status but I had no choice.  Thank you for any direction you are able to give me.   We really would love to move back to the beautiful Country of Canada one day.   Broken Heart
Used to be known here as "feb7" - there's no doubt to my gender this way
My previous profile
shuwilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shuwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 7:53pm

I am an American married to a Canadian who has also been with me for almost two years.  We were married in Ontario in 2004.  We are same sex marriage so it is not reconized here in the States.  We thought Landed immigrant was the same thing as PR...thanks for confirming that.  We spent plenty of money and lots of time to get my status.  We sure would hate to loose it.  THanks for your reply.

job_seeker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote job_seeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by shuwilly shuwilly wrote:

I am an American married to a Canadian who has also been with me for almost two years.  We were married in Ontario in 2004.  We are same sex marriage so it is not reconized here in the States.  We thought Landed immigrant was the same thing as PR...thanks for confirming that.  We spent plenty of money and lots of time to get my status.  We sure would hate to loose it.  THanks for your reply.

To maintain your Permanent residency status you must maintain residency in Canada for at least 730 days in any given 5 year period.
ecs View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ecs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2010 at 11:53pm
If you are married to a Canadian Citizen ( does not matter if its same sex) and you are outside Canada staying with your Canadian Spouse, then you will not have any problem renewing your PR Card. You will get anothet 5 years of PR Card. However you cannot count your days towards applying for Citizenship...
shuwilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shuwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 6:11am
Thank you for your advice.  Stay safe.
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2010 at 10:27pm
A Permanent Resident = A Landed Immigrant

Before the PR card was invented, the term 'landed immigrant' was used...because there was no PR card.....just the record of landing was used......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic