Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Study Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ICAS Academic credit transferability
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ICAS Academic credit transferability

 Post Reply Post Reply
bgrace View Drop Down
New Member
New Member

Joined: 26 May 2017
Location: Ecuador
Status: Offline
Points: 2
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgrace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ICAS Academic credit transferability
    Posted: 26 May 2017 at 4:40pm
This is a question about academic credit transferabiity from university studies in my home country to a higher education program in Canada.

I have tried to contact ICAS (the canadian entity in charge of foreign academic credential transferability to colleges) numerous times on this inquiry, but they don´t reply to my emails or call.

I am a medical doctor planning on starting a College program on a different field, namely The Liberal Arts. 

I have completed and earned academic credit  for 2 university courses (namely, Psychology I and Sociology), related to the Liberal Arts and that  would be repeated on the College program I want to apply to.

According to ICAS website , a ¨graduation document¨/ ¨diploma¨ / ¨certificate of Studies¨, along with the record of study (transcript, mark sheets, indeks, etc)¨ is needed for transferability. The information in their website is not clear.

Given that I didn´t complete a particular career curriculum associated with these courses, I don´t have a ¨Graduation¨ document related to them. However, I DO have is  a CERTIFICATE OF COURSE APPROVAL granted by my university, along with the mark sheets and the course syllabi.

I would like to know if not having a ¨graduation¨ document associated with these courses would pose any impediments for their utilization towards the canadian college program I´m interested in.

Does anyone have any ideas about this case scenario?

I´ll appreciate any piece of information and opinions you may facilitate about this matter.


Edited by bgrace - 26 May 2017 at 4:41pm
B. Grace
Back to Top
colin View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Immigration Attorney

Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 133
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 2:15pm
If you wish to have your medical diploma assessed for immigration or licensing purposes, you will need to have it assessed by the Medical Council of Canada. If I understand correctly, you also wish to have your Psychology I and Sociology courses assessed. If you haven’t completed a degree (college, university undergraduate and university graduate), ICAS will not evaluate the degree as it was only classes that you took. The College where you will be studying will be able to assess those 2 classes to see if you will need to retake them for your new program or not.
Colin Singer, Canada Immigration Lawyer & Managing Partner,
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down