Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PR card renewal - first ever residential address
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PR card renewal - first ever residential address

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luxwenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR card renewal - first ever residential address
    Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 2:11am
Hi,

I am about to renew my PR card, but have a question regarding the residential addresses in the past 5 years. When I first landed, I stayed at a friend's place for a couple of days and then went back to the States to continue my university studies. Ever since I came back to Canada to resume residency, I have accumulated over 760 days.

Now, do I have to include this address in the renewal application form?

Thanks.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 9:47pm
List all places you used as a "residence" not every hotel, motel, friend's house, or campground you spent some nights at. Be honest. Be accurate. Usually a "residence" is some place you made your home for at least a month, but, sure, there is no precise definition that fits all the variables of real life. The other side of this, though, is that people are presumed to be resident some where, so there should be no gaps. But, obviously, some people are in transition for awhile in life. Use your best, honest judgment in this regard.

Your situation is common. Not the majority, true, but fairly common: many PRs land, return to (usually home country but sometimes another country) for various reasons (settle affairs, complete a business or employment obligation, finish studies, and so on) and then return sometime later to settle permanently in Canada.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic