Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spouse Sponsorship-How long it takes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zormas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spouse Sponsorship-How long it takes?
    Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:43pm
Dear All,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I am a Canadian PR and will be back(im currently working out of canada) in Canada by July 1,2012.I have couple of questions and hoping someone can answer them here(as always).:)

1) Can I sponsor my wife as soon as I land in Canada or do I need to first secure a Job and ONLY after that I can start the process for her sponsorship? 

2)I have also heard the spouse can come on  a student visa and apply for PR while studying as a student? 

3) (Most important) How long is the process of sponsoring your spouse? How long it takes?

I know there are people on this forum who have gone through all of the above so please advise .

Thank You.

RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by zormas zormas wrote:

Dear All,

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I am a Canadian PR and will be back(im currently working out of canada) in Canada by July 1,2012.I have couple of questions and hoping someone can answer them here(as always).:)

1) Can I sponsor my wife as soon as I land in Canada or do I need to first secure a Job and ONLY after that I can start the process for her sponsorship?
There are no minimum income reqirements for sponsoring a spouse, but you should be able to demonstrate that there's a reasonable expectation that you'll be able to meet your obligation to provide financial support for your sponsored family member(s).  One way to do that is to be able to submit a letter of employment with your application.

2)I have also heard the spouse can come on  a student visa and apply for PR while studying as a student?
Your wife could, very definitely, apply for a student visa.  Being the subject of a sponsorship application does not preclude her from applying for temporary status as a student, although it could be difficult to demonstrate that she meets the requirement of temporary intent after having applied for PR.  So no guarantee the study visa would be approved.

3) (Most important) How long is the process of sponsoring your spouse? How long it takes?
Depends on which embassy would process her application.  What country is she from?

3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
PakCanadian View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PakCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 9:21pm

Dear Zormas,

There is a saying that "Too much information is misinformation".

Be very careful when you are seeking a legal advice or opinion about immigration laws and regulations affecting your souse's application from people with limited knowledge and experience about their own cases which has its own merits/demerits.

Everyone's case is unique and is decided on its own merits.  There is no one size fits all policy with immigration.

Respectfully,

Bash Ali & Associates
Basharat Ali, RCIC., B.comm., M.B.A.
Regulated Canadian Immigration Counsel
Full Member ICCRC # R406671
Commissioner of Oaths for the Province of Ontario
4891 Dundas Street West, Suite 5
Toronto, ON M9A 1B2, Canada
Off: +1 (416) 236-3355
Cell: +1 (416) 827-3615
Fax: +1-(416) 236-5983
E-mail: [email protected]