Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

returning to canada on PR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chandni2726 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: returning to canada on PR
    Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 6:23am

Hi

our family got our PR cards after our first landing in Canada in 2009 July. we were in Canada only for a short time and has been out of the country till now. Myself and my daughter are planning to return to Canada by May,2012 and my husband will join us later.
i would like to know whether we will have any problem in entering the country without my husband as he is the primary applicant. Please help. He is planning to join us by June.
We have been away for almost 3 yrs. will this cause any problem?

Thanks
can2k9 View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote can2k9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 8:32am
count your days, 2 years out of 5 are compulsory to live in canada, If you have overstayed in india then there would be problem. You can enter canada without your husband as you already have PR now.Do check on official website of canada to see number of days you have to live in Canada for your PR.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 1:18pm
Mostly ditto.

If you return to Canada before the third year anniversary of your landing, there should be no problem. May is sufficient. Of course this will not allow you to spend much time outside Canada for the next two years.

Your husband will be cutting it close if he is to follow much later.

Remember: you must be able to spend 730 days in-Canada by the fifth anniversary of the day you landed.
The other way of looking at this is that a new PR cannot be absent from Canada for 1095 or more days prior to the fifth year anniversary of the day of landing (date on PR card is not the date that matters, actual date of landing is). If the total number of days a PR is absent reach 1096 before the fifth anniversary, the PR is in breach of the residency obligation and becomes inadmissible as of then. Again, dates of validity on the PR card are not what matters.

Whether your status as PRs is conditional or not depends on the terms of the PR that initially granted.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
sandeep talwar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandeep talwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 10:30pm
no..u can..because  ur first entery was all toghter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic