Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

: Retaining PR status

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonishaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: : Retaining PR status
    Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 4:13am
Hi everyone! Could somebody tell me where I can find information regarding the rules or norms to keep PR status if I have to go in and out of Canada?? This is of extreme importance for me since I can't stay permanently in Canada and I'm forced to leave and come back every now and then due to family affairs.

Thank you very much in advance!!

______________________________________________________________________________________

jogruni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jogruni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 8:29pm
I think the rules should be very simple and clear:
You need to be physically presend for 730 days within the proceeding 5 year periode.
Partial days do count as full days! You need to recalc on each and every day!
Within the first 5 years after landing, the days present and the remaining days have to be >730, meaning you can theoretically still be in compliance at the end of the first 5 years. From then you have to count each and every day.

But if you travel frequently, you have to keep good record and as many proof as you can, when you stayed in Canada. Also remember to as for passport stams on every crossing (Canadian AND foreign border!).

And you have to do a good math on the calculations. An Excell sheet could help!

Remember you have to comply each and every day!!! Especially when you return to Canada the day you approach the CBSA officer!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic