Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Preserving Permanent Residence Status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to return back to Canada?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to return back to Canada?
    Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 9:45am
Hi, 

I immigrated to Canada in 2000. After a short time of a couple of months, I had to go back to my country because my mother got diagnosed with cancer. The cancer was in an advanced stage so I could not leave because I had to take care of her as I am the elder son. She was my #1 priority and I could not deal with my other duties such as PR/immigration. Keep in mind, I do not have a PR card because it started in 2002. Here is my question: How can I return back to Canada as a PR? Also one of children was born in 2004 and he does not have a status in Canada, so what about him?

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 12:24pm
Apply for TD (which will be denied) or surrender PR status, and then re-apply.

While technically you are still a PR, your breach of the residency obligation is not going to be overlooked based on H & C grounds when it has been that long since you were in Canada (lots of reasons). You are, thus, inadmissible, and thus an application for a TD will be denied (almost guaranteed, but not quite guaranteed). If you manage to enter Canada without being issued a removal order per some ruse (claiming to be visitor for example), you will further become inadmissible for misrepresentation.

Bottom-line: clear the technicality of still having PR status and re-apply.
Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
canvis2006 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canvis2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 11:58am
Not much can be done, its been too long (over a decade now)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic