Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Study Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - HELP! must cross the border to get a study permit?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! must cross the border to get a study permit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoriagull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! must cross the border to get a study permit?
    Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 3:11am
I'm already in Canada with an open work permit. I applied for study permit and send my appliation package to Buffalo( a consulate general of Canada in US). They approved my application and gave me a letter which told me to show it to Canada border service officer for getting a study permit.  I'm in Victoria, BC now. So do I really need go to some border service, cross the border and come back again, just for getting a study permit? I have no US visa, so I don't know if they will really allow me to cross the border. Anyone encounter this case before? what is the easiest way for me to work it out? if I have to do this, where is the nearest border service office who have this kind of service? I appreciate any information that relate to the case like me!
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 12:45pm
Hi

Originally posted by victoriagull victoriagull wrote:

I'm already in Canada with an open work permit. I applied for study permit and send my appliation package to Buffalo( a consulate general of Canada in US). They approved my application and gave me a letter which told me to show it to Canada border service officer for getting a study permit.  I'm in Victoria, BC now. So do I really need go to some border service, cross the border and come back again, just for getting a study permit? I have no US visa, so I don't know if they will really allow me to cross the border. Anyone encounter this case before? what is the easiest way for me to work it out? if I have to do this, where is the nearest border service office who have this kind of service? I appreciate any information that relate to the case like me!

1. Yes you do. You flagpole, you approach the US side, state that they don't want to enter the US, but wish to activate your study permit. You will get an administrative rejection letter (no hindrance on future admissions) return to the Canadian side to activate your study permit.
2. You will have to go the Peace Arch/Blaine crossing as the US won't let you board the ferry to Port Angeles without a US visa.
3. With an OWP you could have applied to Vegreville you know, but that is water under the bridge.
PMM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic