Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some Direction Needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Direction Needed
    Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 1:07pm
I'm a 45 yr old Canadian in an online relationship with a US citizen, we are starting to pursue having him come to Canada for our future together, and could use some initial direction, as our early searches through this Immigration site is overwhelming and confusing.  Terminology learning curve is just beginning .. (head is spinning already!Wacko)
Questions at this time include:
 Should we pursue a temporary work visa for him to come here and live with me/establish our proof of a 'common-law' relationship? 
 Should we apply through the conjugal sponsor option so that our relationship is identified BEFORE he comes to work/live in Canada?
 Does he come work/live in Canada THEN choose to apply for permanent residence, or apply for it first?
 When/how does he need to decide on dual vs single citizenship?
Our vision is that he comes here, works here, lives here happily ever after... I anticipate that outcome will be harder to achieve than desired.

We are saving any travel/other documents as other posts make it clear that 'more is better'.
We'll continue to delve deeper into the process and appreciate any suggestions on where to start,
Thanks!
pmm View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 1:33pm
Hi

Originally posted by searcher searcher wrote:

I'm a 45 yr old Canadian in an online relationship with a US citizen, we are starting to pursue having him come to Canada for our future together, and could use some initial direction, as our early searches through this Immigration site is overwhelming and confusing.  Terminology learning curve is just beginning .. (head is spinning already!Wacko)
Questions at this time include:
 Should we pursue a temporary work visa for him to come here and live with me/establish our proof of a 'common-law' relationship? 
 Should we apply through the conjugal sponsor option so that our relationship is identified BEFORE he comes to work/live in Canada?
 Does he come work/live in Canada THEN choose to apply for permanent residence, or apply for it first?
 When/how does he need to decide on dual vs single citizenship?
Our vision is that he comes here, works here, lives here happily ever after... I anticipate that outcome will be harder to achieve than desired.

We are saving any travel/other documents as other posts make it clear that 'more is better'.
We'll continue to delve deeper into the process and appreciate any suggestions on where to start,
Thanks!

1. For him to work, he would have to find an employer who is able to get a Labour Market opinion from HRSDC. The position has to be advertised on the job bank for 2 weeks and the employer must demonstrate to HRSDC that there are no Canadians/PRs available for the position. There is also NAFTA, but the job has to be one of the 16 listed for a work permit.
2. If there are no penal, immigration barriers then conjugal won't fly as either of you could live together for a year to become common/law or marry.
3. If he has experience in the list of "29" occupations, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list he could, if he qualifies, apply for PR.
4. He has to become a PR and reside in Canada for 3 years to apply for citizenship. He doesn't lose his US citizenship.   
PMM
searcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 2:54pm
Thanks for this information, we'll investigate.  Yet I guess I am not clear on how we would live together for a year to attain common/law if he cannot come and live/work in Canada...?  am I misunderstanding something there?
adamg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 5:39pm
You would have to put up with the hardship of him not working for 2 or more years depending on how long it takes to sponsor

Edited by adamg - 04 Sep 2011 at 5:40pm
03/01/05-Married
06/21/05-Sponsor Appr
07/08/05-App proc
01/09/06-Interview/Denied
06/06/06-Appeal
03/14/07-denied
01/31/10-twins born
02/19/10-new app proc
06/16/11-Wife appr
10/13/11-wife landed
searcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote searcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 10:45am
Alright, an extensive read has been done, the waits for going through work channels or the provincial nomination process in Alberta is long, and we would like to have him come to live and establish common-law.  My question is, if he plans to comes here as a visitor, and then to apply for an extension on his visitation after the 5th month (out of 6 allowed visitation months), is it ok for him to resign now from work there?  The visitor to Canada requirements state that you must satisfy the border officers that you plan to return to the US (job and place of residence).  How do we ensure he can 'live' here for that full year if visitor status indicates he is required to return?

Edited by searcher - 08 Sep 2011 at 10:54am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic