Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Visa / Temporary Entry Topics > Visit Visa
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ARC for US citizen with Deportation orders in Cana
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ARC for US citizen with Deportation orders in Cana

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ARC for US citizen with Deportation orders in Cana
    Posted: 14 Jan 2010 at 4:15pm
Hi,
I came to Canada from India in 1997 and applied for Refuge claim. My lawyer wanted to move the case to Quebec  and told me it will not be granted in BC. I asked him to withdraw the case and came to US in 1999. I was granted asylum immediately and now I am US citizen. Turns out the canadian lawyer never withdrew the case, only withdrew himself as consul. So some time in after 1999 (whenever the refuge claim came up in canada) nobody representing me showed up in court. Departation orders were issued and then after 30 days they became deportation orders. I came to know about this when I tried to go to Canada as US citizen in 2009. They sent me back and told me that I need ARC. I want to go visit family in canada. Here are my questions

1. The lawyer wants to charge $3600 for applying for ARC. I dont see any reason why I cannot just do it myself. If I apply ARC by myself, and it gets denied, Can I reapply using a lawyer?
2. How can I get information about my refugee claim in Canada? I am interested in knowing when were the departation orders issued.
3. If the departation orders were issued after I had already been granted asylum in US, is it possible to get them cancelled since I can prove that I had already left Canada?

Thanks in advance for all your help
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic