Canada Immigration and Visa Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Canada Immigration Topics > Family Class Sponsorship
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Passport Request but I'm a little confused

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markhamguy2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passport Request but I'm a little confused
    Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 3:07am
Hi All,
 I just received the email below from the canadian embassy in Syria Damascus , asking for my parents passports , but in the same email they wrote this statment which confused me a bit , the statment is as follows :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
REQUEST FOR SUBMISSION OF PASSPORTS

"This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. We are now in the final stages of processing and request that you send ORIGINAL valid passport for yourself and all accompanying family members to our office in Damascus, Syria.  Please note, this does not guarantee that a visa will be issued. "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I always thought that when passport request is done it means a positive descion is made and that they need the passports for issuing the visa ,so how come they are asking for the passports and same at the time saying "Please note, this does not guarantee that a visa will be issued."

so my question here does anybody know of an application, where they will ask for the passports then the results will be negative .. please share your thoughts about this situation.

best regards

EgyCan View Drop Down
Average Member
Average Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EgyCan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 5:43am
I think it is just a format... 
gggomez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gggomez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2009 at 10:32pm
Sometimes people get into trouble while they are going through the process, so maybe they check to see if you have been charged with drug violations, robbery, murder something like that before they give you the visa. I don't think they will give a visa to anyone if they find out at the last min that they did something bad. good luck! 
mitamata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitamata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010 at 5:02am
They don't want to say outright that you are assured a visa because things could still come up. The last phase is usually the background check, which is sometimes done after the passport request and if something comes up there (like a conviction you didn't reveal), then they will obviously not issue a visa. This rarely happens and you've likely nothing to worry about. They just don't want to guarantee you anything when there's still an ever so slim chance that they won't issue it.
Outland - spousal - Vienna - 2009
Feb 16th - app received at CPC-M
Mar 3rd - decision made at CPC-M
Mar 27th - received AOR
Apr 29th - PPR received via email
May 12th - Passport with visa received :)
RobsLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2010 at 2:03pm
CIC will always reserve the right to refuse - even at the stage of processing where they're requesting passports.  There could, conceivably, even be an issue with a passport, once received, that would result in a refusal - so they never guarantee anything.  That's just how the process works. 

The other part of it is that they don't always request passports at the end of assessment.  Some visa offices will request passports early in the assessment - when something could still come up that would result in refusal.  Bottom line - no matter who's processing - the request of the passports does not mean a guarantee of approval.  The process - ultimately - is not complete until the landing interview is successfully accomplished.

Edited by RobsLuv - 01 Jan 2010 at 2:05pm
3/2007-applied
1/2008-Refused
12/2008-ADR failed
1/2010-Appeal allowed
4/2010-In Process(Again)
5/2010-request FBI/meds
8/2010-FBI recd
11/30/10-APPROVED!
1/31/11-LANDED!
dpenabill View Drop Down
Top Member
Top Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpenabill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 3:17am
ditto much of the posts by mitamata and RobsLuv . . . the implications of the passport request can be twofold, first one depends on the visa office (as RobsLuv says, what the passport request means varies some from visa office to visa office), and secondly, significantly, even in visa offices for which the passport request means, essentially, PR has been "approved" such approval is contingent, conditional, no guarantee they will actually issue the visa . . . however, at that stage, it is largely a matter of formalities, valid passport, confirmation of identity, and so on.

Bureaucracy is what bureaucracy does, or When in doubt, follow the instructions. Otherwise, follow the instructions.

BTW: Not an expert, not a Can. lawyer, never worked in immigration
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic